Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

After running a bunch of passengers:

QoL update: When turning in a mission

[Accept Reward] [Accept Reward, Disregard Cargo]

Does away with having to have a cargo rack for taking the majority of missions (greys out the first option if no rack fitted) + saves you having to dump the cargo out of your rack as its usually unwanted trash. (also saves the station janitors from having to come sweep multiple canisters out from under my cargo hatch)

A man can dream :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoneMoreNegative posted:

After running a bunch of passengers:

QoL update: When turning in a mission

[Accept Reward] [Accept Reward, Disregard Cargo]

Does away with having to have a cargo rack for taking the majority of missions (greys out the first option if no rack fitted) + saves you having to dump the cargo out of your rack as its usually unwanted trash. (also saves the station janitors from having to come sweep multiple canisters out from under my cargo hatch)

A man can dream :o:

Last I checked Frontier does have a bug report system.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

iospace posted:

Last I checked Frontier does have a bug report system.

I can see why it would be low priority, or even defended as a feature. It appears to have been that way forever so I don't think it would be changing anytime soon anyway

An even greater improvement would be the ability to generate passenger missions based on where I'm going, like reverse space hitch hiking

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector Hound posted:

I can see why it would be low priority, or even defended as a feature. It appears to have been that way forever so I don't think it would be changing anytime soon anyway

An even greater improvement would be the ability to generate passenger missions based on where I'm going, like reverse space hitch hiking

Oh it definitely would be defined as a feature.

What I was getting at is "whining about it on a 3rd party forum that Frontier probably doesn't even read is going about it the wrong way."

Or, in other words, if you want a feature, tell them instead of posting here about it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How many of these goddamn internet message boards do I need to sign up for for my voice to be heard?? This is a free speech issue

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Hey so I've been running the Parutis-Medb passenger run a few times in my Asp making 7-8 million a trip which is nice, but is there any reason I can't load up my Type-6 with cabins and use that to take even more at a time? Can it take first-class cabins?

Yes, absolutely do this.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Hey so I've been running the Parutis-Medb passenger run a few times in my Asp making 7-8 million a trip which is nice, but is there any reason I can't load up my Type-6 with cabins and use that to take even more at a time? Can it take first-class cabins?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been doing the Parutis-Medb run taking 148 passengers per time in a Type-7 to the tune of ~100m. Just replace everything with Economy cabins and one size 3 cargo rack and an A ranked FSD. Total cost ~20m if you're worried about money to set up and ~45minutes of board flipping to fill. So conservative round trip time of 1,5hours which isn't too bad.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 31, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rynoto posted:

I've been doing the Parutis-Medb run taking 148 passengers per time in a Type-7 to the tune of ~100m. Just replace everything with Economy cabins and one size 3 cargo rack and an A ranked FSD. Total cost ~20m if you're worried about money to set up and ~45minutes of board flipping to fill. So conservative round trip time of 1,5hours which isn't too bad.

It's all very «I paid money to play a bus driver in space» but people do that all the time so it's not exactly weird. Great means to an end, but the game still lacks for fun and objectives, unless you're with the frogs.

I'd love a few billion credits extra though, just for funsies money. In case they ever introduce seriously big and expensive ships or things start costing money. Seriously, maintenance and fuel and such ought to be expensive enough to matter so you'd not be flooded with money all the time once you pass a certain point.

Does rank progress still accrue even if you can't find rank up missions, or is it «wasted» once it hits 100%?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
How long are the Fed ships on sale without a permit?
I'm flying a Python right now, but should probably grab something Fed and put it in long-term storage before the real requirements come back into play...

Nice piece of fish posted:

Does rank progress still accrue even if you can't find rank up missions, or is it «wasted» once it hits 100%?

I've heard that it still accumulates, even if it doesn't show in the rank percentage.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Rank keeps piling up in the background even if you're at 100% on your current one, don't worry about it. You can just do several rank up missions later, it's another one of the many good design decisions they've made.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Goredema posted:

I'm flying a Python right now, but should probably grab something Fed and put it in long-term storage before the real requirements come back into play...

I've heard that it still accumulates, even if it doesn't show in the rank percentage.

Thursday.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Mimesweeper posted:

Rank keeps piling up in the background even if you're at 100% on your current one, don't worry about it. You can just do several rank up missions later, it's another one of the many good design decisions they've made.

What's the other one?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mimesweeper posted:

Thank gently caress.

StuG Jeebus posted:

What's the other one?

:lol:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

StuG Jeebus posted:

What's the other one?

:golfclap:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Goredema posted:

When you say without a permit does that mean there's no fed rank requirements for them right now? i.e. can I buy a Corvette as a midshipman?

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

When you say without a permit does that mean there's no fed rank requirements for them right now?

Yup: FAS and FGS are permit unlocked until Thursday (?) thanks to a CG! Get them while their hot!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yup: FAS and FGS are permit unlocked until Thursday (?) thanks to a CG! Get them while their hot!

Aw no Corvette?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
No you have to “earn the right” to fly a corvette :jerkbag:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

No you have to “earn the right” to fly a corvette :jerkbag:

My inner grognard stirred until I made sure it didn't appply to the corvette... :hfive:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I thought it was only for those who participated in the community goal, is that wrong?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

I thought it was only for those who participated in the community goal, is that wrong?

Anyone can buy them.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the heads up on that, dudes. I socked the hulls away in my Jameson stash for later use.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Behold my glorious chariot...

Bonus cool spoiler because gently caress yeah.

And you thought the Beluga was hard to land, man this thing is a whole new level.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It is 20 minutes from being happy new year in elite dangerous. FYI. 3304 here we come.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Can confirm nothing happened at all.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yep I'm half way to Vela Dock right now and there was no fireworks or anything, rubbish. Happy 3304! It also happens to be my birthday so I think I'm gonna buy myself an Anaconda since this passenger running has been ridiculously profitable!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Well while Diamond Frog space was relatively calm for the new year, it looks like those boys over in FS 34 were cutting one hell of a rug. I stacked all these to the same station on a single board lol.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It is 20 minutes from being happy new year in elite dangerous. FYI. 3304 here we come.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 1, 2018

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
So I got this game during the sales and am thinking of buying a logitech extreme 3D Pro joystick to use with my G27 set, essentially using the pedals for rudders and throttling. Is this sufficient enough or do I still need a keyboard by my side if I use the buttons provided with the G27, or is this just a really terrible idea in general.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

You know how in RPGs, when you level up, the experience required to reach the next level increases, but it's okay because the level you earned allows you to take on more challenging and rewarding content, keeping you on a steady progression curve? That's decent game design, right there.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been grinding Ceos/Sothis for Fed Rank for three days now, and I want to die.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Robert Red Rocket posted:

So I got this game during the sales and am thinking of buying a logitech extreme 3D Pro joystick to use with my G27 set, essentially using the pedals for rudders and throttling. Is this sufficient enough or do I still need a keyboard by my side if I use the buttons provided with the G27, or is this just a really terrible idea in general.

It's pretty unconventional, that and aviation rudder pedals are not like car gas/brake, they're more on a "slide" so to speak, and pushing in the right rudder pedal will push the left one out, and vice versa. I'd recommend at a minimum invest in a HOTAS if you're going for immersion, instead of using kb/m. Game is perfectly serviceable with keyboard and mouse, or gamepad, or single joystick or whatever, I just personally find it easier to control with a separate throttle unit with its additional buttons.

For the price of a Logitech 3d Pro, you can buy a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, which will run you about 40 bucks before shipping. It's not excellent, but it gives you better control than what a Logitech 3d pro will give, due to the separate throttle and the ability to control your directional thrusters on the throttle using rocker switches.

Also, on any joystick, there will be a twist to yaw built in usually, this is accurate enough for Elite just fine, using rudder pedals is something I've never needed to do, mainly because you won't find yourself yawing much in this game in a combat situation, mostly you roll and then pull or push on the stick because the ships are faster through the vertical axis than the horizontal one.

Other comedy options for joysticks if you have a little bit more money (in order of price)

Thrustmaster T16000M FCS (This one requires two USB ports, as they were designed as separate units!)

Logitech X52 Flight Control System

Logitech x52 Pro FCS

Logitech Pro Flight X56 RHINO HOTAS

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flight Stick

Personally I've put a shitload of hours on a 12 year old X52, and other than having to break it apart and put new grease on the internal plastic bits, never had a problem with the physical hardware. Saitek got bought out by Mad Catz a couple years back, their QC went to absolute poo poo, and then they got sold off to Logitech for loving pennies compared to their original value. Who knows if the "new" Logitech X52 stick has improved QC from the Mad Catz days, but I've never had real problems with Logitech's PC stuff, unlike Mad Catz which was unrepentant garbage every time I bought a peripheral from them.

What I can say is the Logitech driver package for the X52 is much loving improved from the Mad Catz days, which bodes well for overall quality. There used to be a persistent bug, that they knew about and left in for years with the Mad Catz software that would cause your system to lock up within 10-15s after unplugging the HOTAS from your computer, the only way to prevent this was to force exit the HOTAS software from your task manager, and then force stop the Saitek services in your services tab. The Logitech software has shown no evidence of this bug, and it looks like they completely rewrote the entire driver package from the old Saitek/Mad Catz kit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 1, 2018

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

orange juche posted:

For the price of a Logitech 3d Pro, you can buy a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, which will run you about 40 bucks before shipping. It's not excellent, but it gives you better control than what a Logitech 3d pro will give, due to the separate throttle and the ability to control your directional thrusters on the throttle using rocker switches.

Not sure if it's because of the shipping or whatever, but the Hotas One (which I'm assuming is a more upgraded Hotas X; no one sells Hotas Xes here anymore) sold in local shops is four times the price of a Extreme 3D Pro. Amazon essentially charges double as well for it once shipping is included. The Saitek X52 is just 20% more expensive than the Hotas X.

Appreciate the writeup, but Thrustmaster has literally no official presence in Asia so all their stuff are ripoffs, only Logitech bothers stocking locally and they don't have a HOTAS peripheral that is quite like the Hotas X in terms of cheapness, other than the Extreme 3D Pro.

Am I better off just using a kb/m then, rather than half-assing it with the 3D Pro? Don't think I have the attention span to justify dropping money on an X52 just for one game really.

EDIT: Also I was considering using the clutch and brake pedals as rudders given that they have about the same resistance, I'm aware it's not going to give the exact feel of actual rudder pedals but I might get used to it. The throttle pedal may be used for acceleration with the gear shift to indicate forwards or backwards, if that's even programmable in.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 1, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katsuma posted:

You know how in RPGs, when you level up, the experience required to reach the next level increases, but it's okay because the level you earned allows you to take on more challenging and rewarding content, keeping you on a steady progression curve? That's decent game design, right there.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been grinding Ceos/Sothis for Fed Rank for three days now, and I want to die.

That's been my experience with Elite, but that's because I never blew out the curve by using degenerate exploit techniques.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Am I better off just using a kb/m then, rather than half-assing it with the 3D Pro? Don't think I have the attention span to justify dropping money on an X52 just for one game really.

3D Pro + Keyboard is more than sufficient. You have perfect access to your up/down/left/right and throttle with one hand and yaw + rotations on the other with it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Not sure if it's because of the shipping or whatever...

I started playing on the 29th and I'm doing fine with kb/m. I've played maybe three hours of flight sims before in my life and I'm grasping everything really well, the starter ship has so much agility that it helps learning a lot. It's probably wrong, but I mapped pitch/yaw to my mouse and roll is a/d. Like it was said earlier you're often rolling then moving vertically so this works well for me.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

Chakan posted:

I started playing on the 29th and I'm doing fine with kb/m. I've played maybe three hours of flight sims before in my life and I'm grasping everything really well, the starter ship has so much agility that it helps learning a lot. It's probably wrong, but I mapped pitch/yaw to my mouse and roll is a/d. Like it was said earlier you're often rolling then moving vertically so this works well for me.

Haha yeah I did that too, much easier for me for some reason, I'll just roll with this and see how it goes, or if it gets too unwieldy...

DatonKallandor posted:

3D Pro + Keyboard is more than sufficient. You have perfect access to your up/down/left/right and throttle with one hand and yaw + rotations on the other with it.

Sounds good tbh, the game is surprisingly rather keyboard friendly so replacing the mouse with a joystick seems like a sensible move.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I used to play with a mouse+keyboard, and yeah, I'm going to echo that it was very keyboard friendly. My recommendation, personally, is to get a head tracker, because it makes things a lot better from both an immersion perspective and a gameplay one.

Unfortunately I got one of the Mad Catz X55s :negative: I just wonder how long I have till that goes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sounds good tbh, the game is surprisingly rather keyboard friendly so replacing the mouse with a joystick seems like a sensible move.

To add to that, if you're going for joystick and keyboard I recommend setting up shortcuts for 0% and 50% throttle on something you can easily reach in combat (personally, I've got it on Y and X) and 75% on something not necessarily quick accessible (shift+ one of your other quick throttle settings). You need 0 and 50 in combat constantly to quickly stop and get to the maximum maneuverability points and 75 is really useful for the FSD sweet-spot. Getting to those precise points can be fiddly with just the increase and decrease throttle on keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I’m nearing 200mil, thinking of a conda and working to max A most of its core systems. Any idea how that would cost roughly?

• Locked thread