Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TBH I suspect the weather changes because of Prometheus and Zeus, who are just Homies, which still fits in with the whole soul extraction/implanting thing. If she went to another island or whatever she wouldn't be able to change the weather, it's just in her territory where she's implanted souls into things so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

TBH I suspect the weather changes because of Prometheus and Zeus, who are just Homies, which still fits in with the whole soul extraction/implanting thing. If she went to another island or whatever she wouldn't be able to change the weather, it's just in her territory where she's implanted souls into things so much.

The weather is definitely the result of those two, which are said to always accompany her, so I'd imagine she'd be able to pull off a similar feat elsewhere as well tbh.

The cloud makes sense, but how did she implant a soul into a mini sun? Where did she get that? :aaaaa:

I'm liking this arc a lot. The new map at the beginning probably means the rest of it will be taking place in the castle. Though Germa 66 will still need to be addressed too so who knows. I wonder what Jinbei is up to.

Seems Luffy is fated to fight everyone anyway. I guess he should have just taken his whole crew (and all his subordinate fleets) and just done a full on attack.
Of course, then it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting of a story.

I am wondering how the whole Zoro crew thing is going to go though. Is that going to be a whole arc without Luffy?

Also, I'm calling it now that Lola was supposed to be the one that married a giant.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 12, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

She probably just implanted it into some fire or maybe a sun ray.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm liking the callbacks to the fishman island arc i.e. when Luffy first challenged Big Mom and traded her sweets for treasure. I think she's in for a surprise when she opens that box!

IIRC that's the box which used to contain the super power drugs that Hody Jones stole but is now a big bomb

Agreed on Lola probably being the intended giant tribe wife as not having any giants in her family seems to be a sore spot for Big Mom.

Since Pudding and Lola appeared to be fairly close in the flashback, I'm wondering if that means she'll end up eloping with Sanji instead of getting married properly?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Since Pudding and Lola appeared to be fairly close in the flashback, I'm wondering if that means she'll end up eloping with Sanji instead of getting married properly?

In a surprise twist, she marries Luffy instead.

Or maybe Ussop.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Riiight that makes sense. They just appeared so not much was said about them. Still a BS power hey. I can infuse anything with a soul and control it. Why don't you infuse the island then? I wouldn't be surprised if that was her final form.

Shadow0 posted:

Seems Luffy is fated to fight everyone anyway. I guess he should have just taken his whole crew (and all his subordinate fleets) and just done a full on attack.
Of course, then it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting of a story.
I'm really hoping his crew returns and stages a direct attack against Big Mama, making Luffy one of the Four Emperors or at least the unofficial fifth Emperor. He is at least a War Lord level pirate, having beaten 2 and befriended 2 others. That would be grand.

I hate seeing Luffy knocked around :(

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Suspicious Lump posted:

Riiight that makes sense. They just appeared so not much was said about them. Still a BS power hey. I can infuse anything with a soul and control it. Why don't you infuse the island then? I wouldn't be surprised if that was her final form.

I'm really hoping his crew returns and stages a direct attack against Big Mama, making Luffy one of the Four Emperors or at least the unofficial fifth Emperor. He is at least a War Lord level pirate, having beaten 2 and befriended 2 others. That would be grand.

I hate seeing Luffy knocked around :(

He's beaten three IIRC. Crocodile, Doflamingo, and Moria.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

He's beaten three IIRC. Crocodile, Doflamingo, and Moria.

4 if you count Buggy

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He defeated Hancock with love and Jinbe with friendship

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
poo poo you guys are right, he's beaten 3. I'm not really counting Buggy because he was defeated pre-War Lord status, so maybe he got stronger (though maybe he got defeated and I don't remember?).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

poo poo you guys are right, he's beaten 3. I'm not really counting Buggy because he was defeated pre-War Lord status, so maybe he got stronger (though maybe he got defeated and I don't remember?).

He did get stronger between Luffy defeating him and Impel Down (mainly by inventing new explosives). Not sure if he got stronger during the time skip too.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

AFAIK Buggy didn't really get much stronger, he just became really good at convincing people he's a lot more important and tough than he actually is (because of his old associations with Whitebeard and Shanks), and essentially tricked the World Government into giving him Warlord status after Blackbeard left to become an Emperor.

Palling up with Mr 3 and the Impel Down escapees probably helped a lot too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I'd even go as far a to say, beyond the strawhats and beyond eating a DF, noone in this series gets stronger really. Notable exception in Coby and Helmeppo. Other than that, politics change, pirate crews are formed, dudes get taken down, power dynamics of the world change, and new powerful fools show up as we traverse closer to raftel, but noone really gets physically stronger as time goes on. This really helps to sell the OP world as a coherent universe.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bisse posted:

I'd even go as far a to say, beyond the strawhats and beyond eating a DF, noone in this series gets stronger really. Notable exception in Coby and Helmeppo. Other than that, politics change, pirate crews are formed, dudes get taken down, power dynamics of the world change, and new powerful fools show up as we traverse closer to raftel, but noone really gets physically stronger as time goes on. This really helps to sell the OP world as a coherent universe.

Crocodile gets stronger in Impel Down. And the other Supernovas get stronger over the time skip.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Crocodile gets stronger in Impel Down. And the other Supernovas get stronger over the time skip.
Speaking of supernovas, Zoro is only one of two people without a power. Really goes to show how strong he is. I'm still waiting on Zoro pulling out his eye-hax Kakashi from Naruto style trump card.

His fight against Pica was great, really showed his power and tactical abilities. He was slicing and dicing stone for hours without breaking a sweat.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Crocodile was always that strong, Luffy just had a hard counter to him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Crocodile was always that strong, Luffy just had a hard counter to him.

Not that strong. At Marineford, Crocodile was taking hits from Jozu.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zoro has a power, it's just sword fu instead of devil fruit. Remember this is a setting where if you train hard enough you can teleport.

Unless he secretly has a devil fruit and never told anyone, that'd at least explain Asura mode....

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Zoro has a power, it's just sword fu instead of devil fruit. Remember this is a setting where if you train hard enough you can teleport.

Unless he secretly has a devil fruit and never told anyone, that'd at least explain Asura mode....

He rescued Smoker when he was under seawater so he definitely doesn't.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe he ate the swim-swim fruit :pseudo:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The saddest trombone plays in the background.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIV posted:

Maybe he ate the swim-swim fruit :pseudo:

Actually Senor Pink already ate that fruit, ironically allowing him to swim in land, but no longer in water.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So this weeks episode was actually pretty good. I was happy to see Brook be a badass again. Feels like that hasn't happened in a long while.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, good to seem him get his Soul power on. I always enjoy it when the rest of the crew get their chance to shine.

I'm hoping we get some cutaways to what the rest of the crew are up to soon and not have it be like the previous arc where they're not shown for like a year. It'd be nice to see what Luffy's fleet is up to too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There's been a cover arc in the manga going on alongside this current arc showing what the fleet is up to, but they haven't animated those for well over a decade.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Quite a few years back I started watching OP the Anime. I made it to Drum Island, lost interest for a while, picked it back up and made it to Water 7, lost interest for a while, then picked it up and made it to the timeskip. After the timeskip I lost interest when the crew reached Fishman Island and Luffy 'kidnapped' the princess.

Recently I picked it back up and finished the Fishman island arc, about to start on Punk Hazard but I always get so frustrated with the pacing. That's what has always made me drop the show before. I'm used to skipping 3-5 minutes into each episode to get past the recaps but even then, while watching Fishman Island arc there's so many places where something would happen and it'd show 10-15 seconds of people standing around with shocked expressions doing nothing. Does that improve much going forward or are there still going to be HUGE sections where we have to show the facial features of every single person reacting to all the 'shocking' events as they unfold?

Also do the Straw Hats ever fight as a team? I t feels like all the fights are just "Straw Hat pirates pair off against the enemies that thematically match them". Zoro fights whichever sword guy there is, Sanji usually fights some martial artist, Luffy fights the big bad overlord of the arc, Nami often ends up fighting the girl, etc. I would love to see some good combos, teamwork, and poo poo like that instead of just seven one-on-one fights that are all individually resolved.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

khy posted:

Quite a few years back I started watching OP the Anime. I made it to Drum Island, lost interest for a while, picked it back up and made it to Water 7, lost interest for a while, then picked it up and made it to the timeskip. After the timeskip I lost interest when the crew reached Fishman Island and Luffy 'kidnapped' the princess.

Recently I picked it back up and finished the Fishman island arc, about to start on Punk Hazard but I always get so frustrated with the pacing. That's what has always made me drop the show before. I'm used to skipping 3-5 minutes into each episode to get past the recaps but even then, while watching Fishman Island arc there's so many places where something would happen and it'd show 10-15 seconds of people standing around with shocked expressions doing nothing. Does that improve much going forward or are there still going to be HUGE sections where we have to show the facial features of every single person reacting to all the 'shocking' events as they unfold?

Also do the Straw Hats ever fight as a team? I t feels like all the fights are just "Straw Hat pirates pair off against the enemies that thematically match them". Zoro fights whichever sword guy there is, Sanji usually fights some martial artist, Luffy fights the big bad overlord of the arc, Nami often ends up fighting the girl, etc. I would love to see some good combos, teamwork, and poo poo like that instead of just seven one-on-one fights that are all individually resolved.

padding doesn't get improved and arguably gets worse as you progress. a recent fight that was 1 chapter in the manga turned into like a 5 episode ordeal in the anime

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sadly it doesn't really improve. Most fights are still just pair offs with half the time taken up by shocked expressions, the padding is ludicrous, especially in the Dressrosa Arc. I keep hoping it improves but the animators keep letting me down.

There's still some good scenes in it but you're best off saving up a bunch of episodes to marathon so you can fast forward through the recaps and repeated flashbacks, and some of the anime-only filler (some research needed on that).

I'm on the same boat in preferring it when they get teamwork and solid plans going on, combining abilities in interesting abilities instead of the usual 'look at this new bullshit trick I learnt off camera' stuff..

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

padding doesn't get improved and arguably gets worse as you progress. a recent fight that was 1 chapter in the manga turned into like a 5 episode ordeal in the anime

This. Just read the manga.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like watching the anime. It's cool and makes sense that a lot of people prefer to stick with just the manga, especially because of the pacing, but I'm not sure why people suggest to not watch the anime. I may just have a high tolerance for this kind of pacing from DBZ back in the day and whatnot though. And I watch in marathons of 100 episodes or so every couple years on average.

That said, I do agree with criticisms and whatnot, would be nice if they did it more like Hajime no Ippo or Kaiji etc (only not being dropped), or like Jojo recently etc. But I guess having it off of TVs for a year or two here and there so the anime can have better pacing and/or animation quality, while would be cool for us, maybe they feel it'd stop the One Piece mania a bit, and lose the money train? That was a long sentence.

I think they're kind of just going with the DBZ approach for this anime, only to me One Piece feels a lot better paced anyway since Oda crams a lot into each chapter. He had said something like he has three times the ammount of development of a normal manga in his, or at least that's how he looks at it.

I'll go with the manga often when I don't think an anime is cutting it, but I think One Piece is still hanging in there, at least for me. And even with the manga, I'd want to wait a year or two and binge. Myself, I go back and read the cover arcs and compare a bit afterwards once in a while. Still dig anime first for One Piece.

Another thing is, if you read the manga first, it's a self fulfilling prophecy, you'll have a lot less use for the anime. But if you watch the anime first, that works in the anime's favor for several reasons, it's new and more exciting, and you don't have a thing you already dig to compare it to. I'm not in a hurry though, love the voice acting and do enjoy how they direct some of it, even with the budget issues, and I've been watching it since High School, I'm still on the cruise.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Another thing is, if you read the manga first, it's a self fulfilling prophecy, you'll have a lot less use for the anime. But if you watch the anime first, that works in the anime's favor for several reasons, it's new and more exciting, and you don't have a thing you already dig to compare it to. I'm not in a hurry though, love the voice acting and do enjoy how they direct some of it, even with the budget issues, and I've been watching it since High School, I'm still on the cruise.
You're like me, I love the anime because well... animation is just better. Sound, action, voice acting.

Checkout One Pace
http://onepace.net/
One Pace is a One Piece project that condenses the anime into more accurate adaptations of the manga. It involves removing filler scenes, shortening slow or padded scenes, and merging episodes together.

You will be behind by about 50 episodes or even more from the manga. The numbering they use is manga chapters (not anime episodes).

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think watching the show first really helped me enjoy the book. The voice cast is unbelievably good, and being able to read in their voices improves the experience tremendously, for me at least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Suspicious Lump posted:

You're like me, I love the anime because well... animation is just better. Sound, action, voice acting.

Checkout One Pace
One Pace is a One Piece project that condenses the anime into more accurate adaptations of the manga. It involves removing filler scenes, shortening slow or padded scenes, and merging episodes together.
bering they use is manga chapters (not anime episodes).

You will be behind by about 50 episodes or even more from the manga. The numbering they use is manga chapters (not anime episodes).

I've been tempted at times, like during the Fishman arc, still haven't used that yet. It's cool that it's an option though.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think watching the show first really helped me enjoy the book. The voice cast is unbelievably good, and being able to read in their voices improves the experience tremendously, for me at least.

For sure, the cast really rocks.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Absolutely. I'm sure I'd love One Piece either way, but watching it first and keeping up with it as a companion piece up until Dressrosa cemented the music and the voices in my head and it improves the experience of reading the manga. It's weird sometimes to think that since I'm three arcs out now, there are a lot of characters I can't put a distinct voice to anymore.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Checkout One Pace

I gotta check that out. I tend to enjoy anime more than manga (Though I still really enjoy manga) unless the anime adaptation is really poo poo. OP is not a poo poo adaptation, it's extremely good it's just got the worst goddamn pacing of any show I've ever watched ever. Anything that fixes the pacing cannot be bad!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, those One Pace guys sure are keeping... (heh) pace... with the anime. I figured it'd be like the old Kaizoku situations where they'd forever been 100+ episodes behind.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

One Pace owns. Is there a dubbed version of it? I've been thinking of getting my nephew into OP, but I don't know if he can keep up with the subtitles.

Also, I made it to Dressrosa in the un-abridged anime. Bartolomeo is a great character, it's fun to watch someone fanboy out over Luffy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

One Pace owns. Is there a dubbed version of it? I've been thinking of getting my nephew into OP, but I don't know if he can keep up with the subtitles.

Also, I made it to Dressrosa in the un-abridged anime. Bartolomeo is a great character, it's fun to watch someone fanboy out over Luffy.

There are Blu rays and the like put out by Funimation, though they're way behind (I believe theyre still at the fishman island arc?).

Though i have to give the spiel of the OP Manga>>>>>>>>>>>OP Anime after timeskip.

There are also tons of other great shonen you could show your Nephew that have dubs for sale, including My Hero Academia.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

khy posted:

Funimation even has a streaming app with all their dubbed episodes up from the beginning .... but it was horribly broken when I tried it and had all kinds of problems streaming on both ps3 and ps4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Julias posted:

There are Blu rays and the like put out by Funimation, though they're way behind (I believe theyre still at the fishman island arc?).

Sure, but they're the un-abridged ones that have all the filler and the terrible pacing, right? That's why I'm asking specifically about the One Pace stuff that skips all that.