Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

FYI Zimmer was hired the same year as Caldwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, stupid Caldwell had to go and win the last game and make me not sure that they should get rid of this staff. :/

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Every single week I’ve been waiting for Keenum to self-destruct in a tornado of bad decisions and interceptions, so the playoffs are pretty much the best possible time for it. Still, cynicism aside it’s been a great ride and we’re still going strong into the playoffs, plus the possibility of playing a Super Bowl at home is pretty baller.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hoping for the Rams in the Divisional Round then Carolina for the NFCCG.

Then get blown out by the Bills in front of a home crowd at the SB.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SirPablo posted:

Hoping for the Rams in the Divisional Round then Carolina for the NFCCG.

Then get blown out by the Bills in front of a home crowd at the SB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Every single week I’ve been waiting for Keenum to self-destruct in a tornado of bad decisions and interceptions, so the playoffs are pretty much the best possible time for it. Still, cynicism aside it’s been a great ride and we’re still going strong into the playoffs, plus the possibility of playing a Super Bowl at home is pretty baller.

you'll only have to wait two weeks longer, my friend

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I NEVER thought I'd say this.

I'm... kinda rooting for you guys. But if you get to the super bowl and lose again like you've done 4 times before... or lose the NFCCG like 1998 or 2009... I'm gonna be really, really pissed off. Ugh this is hard to say but ...you know what? Go the loving Vikings.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I cannot and will not root for any NFCN team other than my Packers. I just can't.
That said, if the Vikes lose the SuperBowl at home in their own stadium I may just lol my balls into orbit.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Caldwell out as Lions coach

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/947826832782643200

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Big Beef City posted:

I cannot and will not root for any NFCN team other than my Packers. I just can't.
That said, if the Vikes lose the SuperBowl at home in their own stadium I may just lol my balls into orbit.

I want the Vikings to lose the Super Bowl at home, but if it's Vikings/Patriots I feel its a lose/lose scenario.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bears and Lions fire HC, DC is out in Green Bay. Next year is going to be strange.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Caldwell out as Lions coach
http://therin.gr/tAp6abd

quote:

Detroit finished with 11, seven, nine, and nine wins under Caldwell, marking the first time the franchise had four consecutive seasons with seven or more wins since the Nixon administration.
:eyepop:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Way to give the curse bulletin board material Mike.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/947839547148328960

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/947851290134089728

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I am really, really not looking forward to the Lions inevitably hiring a Patriots retread as HC

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
After yesterday, I'm fairly certain that firing
Caldwell is going to blow up in our faces. Firing Prince was the right move, and I think it was time to give up Cooter (:haw:) but I think Caldwell deserved another year if he was willing to address the teams obvious flaws.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seems a little weird to fire a coach that went 11-5, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7. I get that the Lions have looked really bad in many games this season and that Caldwell was making the same mistakes over and over but this feels almost like when the Bears fired Lovie Smith for daring to go 10-6. They still haven't recovered from that.

The Lions were a couple of freak plays away from being 11-5 this season.

Big Beef City posted:

I'd rather the Vikings win than some losers from around the league. I want to see good football being played. If good football is being consistently played in the NFCN then that's incentive for the Packers to try to get even better, so there's more good football for me to watch all around.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Firing Caldwell is the right move and it will completely blow up in our faces.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So I just found out Blake Martinez has a Twitch channel and is streaming right now: https://www.twitch.tv/packernation50

Needs to upgrade his computer/internet, though...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"There is no drat curse," Mike Zimmer said, right before his eyeball exploded out of his face.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/947871627399884800

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bears are going to hire del rio

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd rather the Vikings win than some losers from around the league. I want to see good football being played. If good football is being consistently played in the NFCN then that's incentive for the Packers to try to get even better, so there's more good football for me to watch all around.

This is a good take. I don't want to see the garbage Falcons or Panthers eek out a win or two and go far. The Vikings and Rams deserve it. Go to them.

As for the AFC just lmao at the inevitability of Patriots/Steelers.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah man if the Bears had kept Lovie Smith, who knows what heights they’d have reached. It really proved what a mistake it was to get rid of him when he went on to

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol you're totally right

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

beejay posted:

Yeah man if the Bears had kept Lovie Smith, who knows what heights they’d have reached. It really proved what a mistake it was to get rid of him when he went on to

Marty didn't go on to any further NFL success after being fired from the Chargers. Do you think it wasn't a mistake for Spanos to fire Schottenheimer?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In the end, I think Caldwell was a coach that was able to motivate his talent to improve, excel, and play their hearts out even in impossible situations. But, he always struggled with gameday preparation and scheming, and that ultimately was his downfall-because while Caldwell may be one of the most successful coaches in Lions history, so, so many of those wins were dependent on last minute heroics from Stafford, Prater, or Slay to achieve or maintain a narrow lead. Outside of standout performances from those players (Who are some of the best in the league at their respective positions), Caldwell struggled and ultimately failed to achieve much more than moderate success against lackluster opponents, let alone against playoff contenders (1-5 this year and 3-23 against playoff teams overall, counting both playoff losses). He helmed the Lions admirably and brought them years of stability and more success than Detroit has had in a long time, but ultimately he's taken the team as far as he can.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'm on the Jags bandwagon. If they fail, then go Not Patriots/Steelers/Vikings.

If it comes to Vikings vs AFC, then I think I need to pull for the Vikings in the hopes people start hating their fans after they become as insufferable as many Seahawks fans became.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

186 posted:

I'm on the Jags bandwagon. If they fail, then go Not Patriots/Steelers/Vikings.

If it comes to Vikings vs AFC, then I think I need to pull for the Vikings in the hopes people start hating their fans after they become as insufferable as many Seahawks fans became.

Big shoes to fill, but god willing I’ll be your LWB

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'd like to think it would take some time to start chest thumping. There's a lot of heartache in Viking history.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shangri-Law School posted:

Firing Caldwell is the right move and it will completely blow up in our faces.

If you hire Josh yeah.

One step forward two back.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

Nope, Jeff Fisher. Del Rio lacks a mustache. The next Bears HC will have a mustache.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

Nope, Jeff Fisher. Del Rio lacks a mustache. The next Bears HC will have a mustache.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I could see that happening.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am kinda sad about Caldwell being gone. I hope this doesn't blow up in our face. :(

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

I am kinda sad about Caldwell being gone. I hope this doesn't blow up in our face. :(

I think it was the right decision, but it's going to be hard not to miss him. Dude was a class act and a mentor to many of the players on the team, and despite his failures it's hard not to have a lot of respect for him.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

:rip: Dom Capers Amoeba defense.

You flew too close to the sun and were a guaranteed 8 yard gain on every 3 and 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://youtu.be/e-UnAHa9QS0?t=202

My favorite Lovie Smith moment was when they had 4 downs inside the 5 and couldn't punch it in against the Vikes 08 defense. The face he makes when they turn it over on downs is how I imagine him any time they make an error.

Also watch Gus Frerotte make a 99 yard touchdown pass to Berrian on the very next play lmao

• Locked thread