Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, I successfully quit for about a week. The gacha found a way to lure me back in though.

Yeah, gotta admit I’m intrigued by the possibilities. WTB three more Excaliburs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Japans getting like 9 days of getting 1000 lapis each day but worry not we are getting a 11 ticket and 1200 lapis whoa!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of shenanigans can WKN get up to? is his magic damage respectable? seems like a weird unit but the sprite is top-notch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He's kind of like Wilhelm, he's a tank but with magic counterattack's, IIRC.

Not like I'll ever draw him.

Any word on the Fountain of Lapis coming back? I got my last squirt this morning.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
It was mentioned as temporary in one of the videos on the YouTube channel. I’m waiting to see if it comes back myself. I’m assuming it’s a “let’s see how this affects numbers and go from there” type of trial run.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If it comes back it'll be tomorrow since its the actual start of the month

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Office Thug posted:

Good news is, she's about as sought after as cloud is since her TMR is the bis accessory for TDH units! So you really want her anyways!

I forgot to mention that was Elfreeda #2. Still useful for the TMR, but even more of a troll.

Edit: And don't worry, I don't need pity. I recently pulled both VoD #1 and Orlandeau #1, so combined with Garland I can put together some top-notch dark chaining and finishing.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 31, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He's kind of like Wilhelm, he's a tank but with magic counterattack's, IIRC.

Not like I'll ever draw him.

Any word on the Fountain of Lapis coming back? I got my last squirt this morning.

They should bring it back. I've got a great line up and there's more stuff I want to spend money on this year so my FFBE budget right now is $0, but I'd make an exception for a monthly fountain deal.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

PaybackJack posted:

They should bring it back. I've got a great line up and there's more stuff I want to spend money on this year so my FFBE budget right now is $0, but I'd make an exception for a monthly fountain deal.

I'm cutting back hard on my spending on this game but I'll pay 20 bucks for that still. It's such an excellent return for what you pay compared to even the best deals on Lapis they've put out.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
My tiny 1% Moogle from way back finally hit 100% today after feeding him his 1% cousins :unsmith:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last Daily Half of 2017? Blue > Exdeath #10. :sigh:

WKN will never be mine. I guess that's what I get for getting 7 Rainbows this month: Loren (Daily Half), VOTD (Daily Half), Wilhelm (10+1 Ticket), Cloud (4*+ Ticket), Tidus (EX Ticket), Lightning #3 (4*+ EX Ticket). Rainbow 7 was from the 5* EX, and was Trance Terra #3.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Kheldarn posted:

WKN will never be mine. I guess that's what I get for getting 7 Rainbows this month: Loren (Daily Half), VOTD (Daily Half), Wilhelm (10+1 Ticket), Cloud (4*+ Ticket), Tidus (EX Ticket), Lightning #3 (4*+ EX Ticket). Rainbow 7 was from the 5* EX, and was Trance Terra #3.

Tell me about it. I did a 10+1 on the WKN banner yesterday and got Kryla. The odds on that pull was really low.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kheldarn posted:

My haul in December was Roy, Darklord, Cloud, Elfreeda, Wilhelm #2 & #3, Noctis, and Knight Delita #2.

Looking at the 7* list, I guess I need to start leveling Knight Delita's LB, I'm set on Tanks and Healers, so I hope between now and then I pull a copy of Roy, and one of Tidus/Orlandeau/VotD/OK.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
^ 7* Lightning is good and chains with OK. I have both 7* waiting to go when they come out (I actually have been absurdly lucky and have a shitload of 7* waiting). I only mention it because I just assume a lot of the old timers have at least a couple of her.

I got an iTunes gift card for one of my presents so I used it to get the three kinda crappy bundles of lapis and 4* tickets. I used the tickets and the last one got me WKN. He looks expensive as hell to enhance but I’m probably going to anyway since he’s pretty drat beefy. But even if I never use him he’s still got a super awesome mage TMR for tterra.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'm really happy 7* Lightning is good, since I was so sad she was otherwise terrible :(

Legitimately more excited I have her 7* version than Orlandeau's 7* who's also sitting in the wings. His kit upgrade just doesn't seem as exciting, which might just be relative differences at work since Lightning goes from literally horrible to actually good, while Orlandeau already starts off at great.

Plus 7* Lightning can chain with my Tidus.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Playing the JP version side-by-side with the GL version, I've quickly learned that the primary inhibitor to 7*s probably won't be getting the 5*s + dupes for us, but instead it'll be getting the massive gently caress-off 3 million gil to awaken them.

I've sunk below 1 mil in GL and I am slowly inching down towards nothing, just from explorations, because sources of gil are so loving scarce.

Edit: Also I just realized GL is doing gently caress-all for new years, while JP has at least a fun Home screen change with chocobos and moogles wishing you a happy new year

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 1, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

By then the game will be handing out millions of gil as login rewards so its not that bad. Really gil is only used for one thing right now, enhancing abilities. As long as you burn some energy during turtle weekends and do the raids you'll have enough cash to awaken your dudes when they come around.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
^ it’s true. It just takes time to get ahead of the curve and don’t be afraid of grinding turtles. I’m sitting on 16m now and I skipped the last couple turtles because I didn’t have anything that would be enhanced for months.

On 7* though you do also need an obscene amount of xp to actually hit 120. It’s several fully-stacked cactuar for one unit. I have I think 12 now waiting to upgrade. I dearly hope we get the stackable cactuar well before that so I can start saving up for that early. Well, and I guess I don’t care about doing all of them, necessarily. And they’re not all in the first batch either. But still.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, EXP is going to be a bigger issue than money when 7*s come out, specially if you have a lot of units ready for 7*. You are going to be stacking kings for months to get 2-3 units to 120 once they come out.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

new kind of cat posted:

what kind of shenanigans can WKN get up to? is his magic damage respectable? seems like a weird unit but the sprite is top-notch.

Thing is the way his innate passives work, you're pretty much making a choice between bumping up MAG or DEF with the equipment you give him. He's a tank first and foremost, so his damage was never that great. Still, he was great at the tanking bit, and could really hold his own even when I didn't have the gear for tanking. That said, the new enhancements mean he can tank even better AND also dish some out now too. His innate passive stat bonuses and counter rates are much improved after enhancements.

Bring It On is your best friend, and post enhancements it grants him a huge +150% stat buff on use, including his MAG. Glacial Wave can go from ok ice damage to a redonk ice imperil paralyzing AoE. So I've had some fun making it snow with him and Christine on my team. And if you also happen to have Illusionist Nichol around, then you're golden as far as tanking is concerned.

Hell I'd probably keep him around even if he wasn't that great. I mean look at him, he's riding a giant fuggoff christmas mecha! I bet it's called Rudolph! :3:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, EXP is going to be a bigger issue than money when 7*s come out, specially if you have a lot of units ready for 7*. You are going to be stacking kings for months to get 2-3 units to 120 once they come out.

I fed a max leveled(?) metal king (4.5m xp) to my lighting earlier today on the JP server.

She went from level 112 to 114. :v:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I was disappointed in WKN’s kit at first because I only read the changes and thought the 150% buffs were instead of DR. I guess I need to start working on tank gear for him because he’s a goddamn beast. Between his baseline kit, enhancements and the fact that general DR stacks with his Provoke buffs he’s going to be able to shrug off basically everything.

E: and the clown staff gives 10% hp! Between the cat suits being good expedition unit fodder, that, and the magic dagger being pretty good the raid units have turned out better than I expected.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 1, 2018

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Is there a general consensus on what the best tank is outside of Wilhelm? I've switched from VoE to an almost fully ability awakened WoL, but I've still got WKN from last year kicking around on expeditions that I could enhance.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Depends. Do you need a provoke tank or a cover tank or a counter tank? Do you need a tank with utility, or a tank with breaks, or a tank that doubles as a healer, or a magic tank?

They're very fight specific, but WoL is I think the one that is the most swiss-army knife in that he can fulfill a number of different tanking roles.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
WKN is just raw mitigation king at this point. If you don’t need the utility that the other tanks offer and can handle AoE damage soaking/healing, then he’s not going to be beat. I would imagine a well geared Noel just laughs off Aigaion punches*, for instance.

Of note, but something that isn’t always considered - tanks that counter with physical attacks (EV, Snow, Wilhelm) are often a major source of LB crystals and Esper orbs for fulfilling mission objectives. I’d say Wilhelm is probably still king ultimately, unless you have a Christine or the boss single targets really hard.

* - yeah a well geared Noel can get the punch to sub-4k just using Bring it On.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 1, 2018

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I finally pulled Ayaka, and my team usually has Orlandu and Elza so I'm covered for healing and breaks. Might need to wait until the next Mog King event so I can get the guard giancrysts I need, but I'll start upgrading what I can on him.

RIP my gil. I had 30 million after the FFXI raid event, but between awakenings and expeditions I'm now down to <10 mil. :negative:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Happy new year!

The monthly rewards for January are pretty blue. 3600 Lapis, 4 expansion vouchers, a ticket and a 4* ticket.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Does any other physical tank have any use over Wilhelm?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Skyridge posted:

Does any other physical tank have any use over Wilhelm?

If you don't have iNichol then willy can't do aoe tanking, so WoL will still be needed for physical aoe heavy fights.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see any Fountain of Lapis in the shop, which is a real bummer.

Got Kryla on the half-price. She seems nice, like the anti-Marie. Stronger than 9S. No Turkish Delights skill though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I didn't see any Fountain of Lapis in the shop, which is a real bummer.

Got Kryla on the half-price. She seems nice, like the anti-Marie. Stronger than 9S. No Turkish Delights skill though.

Its really poo poo that they didnt add it and this months rewards are utter poo poo. Seriously, a loving moogle as the last reward? I thought we were past this already.

A consistent, steady monthly stream of a lot 8 bucks at the start of the month is more valuable than the disparate purchases of lapis boxes they might get. It lets you project income a whole lot easier so that you can plan staffing and such at the entire organization more easily. But nope, Gumi is loving ran by idiots.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Last pull on 2017: Lawrence, ok.

First pull of 2018: Lani

gently caress

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its really poo poo that they didnt add it and this months rewards are utter poo poo. Seriously, a loving moogle as the last reward? I thought we were past this already.

A consistent, steady monthly stream of a lot 8 bucks at the start of the month is more valuable than the disparate purchases of lapis boxes they might get. It lets you project income a whole lot easier so that you can plan staffing and such at the entire organization more easily. But nope, Gumi is loving ran by idiots.

The problem is they don’t have to worry about steady income. They’re swimming in cash because there’s no way this lovely mobile game company can spend the kind of money they’re pulling just from ffbe. So they’re only looking at the bottom line. And sales probably dropped somewhat from their value bundle. Either that or they had no intention of going to the sub model either way.

E: new year gave me an Emperor. I don’t know if I’ll level or enhance him just because I have tons of good mages already. But I’ll gladly take his TM.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 1, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ugato posted:

The problem is they don’t have to worry about steady income. They’re swimming in cash because there’s no way this lovely mobile game company can spend the kind of money they’re pulling just from ffbe. So they’re only looking at the bottom line. And sales probably dropped somewhat from their value bundle. Either that or they had no intention of going to the sub model either way.

E: new year gave me an Emperor. I don’t know if I’ll level or enhance him just because I have tons of good mages already. But I’ll gladly take his TM.

Have you even read their financials going back a few years? The company isn't swimming in cash. They've stabilized from a few years after cutting like 200 people from payroll and selling assets but they still have a long way to go to get back to where they were initially valued at. This is coming in a year where most japanese developers outperformed expectations.

FFBE is probably their biggest performer on the global market but by all means isn't enough to keep a company their size floating indefinitely. Specially when they are pouring resources into newer titles, which is really the only way to grow.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 1, 2018

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Gotta consider how many people have their fingers in this pie too. Profits have to go to Square and Alim as well.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Happy New Year Please Give Us $75 AUD

I assume the pricing is a tad more realistic in USD or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

meteor9 posted:

Happy New Year Please Give Us $75 AUD

I assume the pricing is a tad more realistic in USD or something?

Its like 48 bucks and still feels like a bad deal. I dont value 10+1 tickets as highly as they do

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Have you even read their financials going back a few years? The company isn't swimming in cash. They've stabilized from a few years after cutting like 200 people from payroll and selling assets but they still have a long way to go to get back to where they were initially valued at. This is coming in a year where most japanese developers outperformed expectations.

FFBE is probably their biggest performer on the global market but by all means isn't enough to keep a company their size floating indefinitely. Specially when they are pouring resources into newer titles, which is really the only way to grow.

I’ve seen what they earn off this game alone which is just plain insane. Basically it’s the greedy route and unfortunately there’s no disincentive for them to go for the steadier income. I’d be interested to see the actual earnings numbers for more recent banners to see if it follows the trends set by the leaked docs. They expect global to spend more in the first place (meaning projections will match that) and most of the months leading up to when the leaks happened had us over goals. Nier was projected at 800k sales on release day alone and they did $3m. For the entire month of August they did $15m in sales, more than double their projections.

Hell, for the month of September, which has 2 weeks of data missing and a couple days of the ff11 banner massively making GBS threads the bed, they were still 85% to their projected monthly goal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm saying, look at the quarterly reports for the company and such instead of any leaked docs with nebulous info. Nothing in them screams that they are swimming in money, far from it. Their company is trading at 1/3 of what they were during their IPO and their IPO was just a few years ago, their stock basically flatlined for the entire year, which is better than what was happening before at least. They are down about 20% of the personnel they used to have.

Everything about their financials screams to me that they are trying to hold on till they can push out new products to try and get more money in. In contrast to companies like Aniplex/Sony that already have massive cashcows that they dont really need to expand further, just keep improving what they already have and SE which hit a few home runs last year and saw some pretty explosive growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Holy poo poo I'm swimming in rainbows
In the last month I've gotten:
Aileen
Ayaka
D. Fina
Delita
Duke
Emperor