Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

there is no way Hue Jackson does not know where the hookers are buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns 2018 opponents: Bengals twice, Ravens twice, Steelers twice, Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Bucs, Texans

lol they're going 0-16 again

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns 2018 opponents: Bengals twice, Ravens twice, Steelers twice, Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Bucs, Texans

lol they're going 0-16 again

jesus christ. they might actually do that. scuttle the browns and the NFL if they do

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Hue wants to get paid for five years while only doing two years of coaching like every other Browns head coach but his plans keep getting foiled by the insane owner.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Browns/Jets game could be a thriller depending on schedule.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DougLesmerises/status/947864518037733377

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here, have some poo poo.

2018 Browns NFL Draft

Round 1
1. Lamar Jackson QB
2. Saquon Barkley RB

Round 2
1. Orlando Brown RT
2. Darius Leonard LB
3. Joshua Jackson CB

Round 3
1. Bradley Bozeman, C

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gatts posted:

Here, have some poo poo.

2018 Browns NFL Draft

Round 1
1. Lamar Jackson QB
2. Saquon Barkley RB

Round 2
1. Orlando Brown RT
2. Darius Leonard LB
3. Joshua Jackson CB

Round 3
1. Bradley Bozeman, C

We need a free safety

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

We need a free safety

What else? QB, OT, OG, RB, CB, FS, LB...? Do I have it right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gatts posted:

Forgot: HC, OC, DC, GM, Owner.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Forgot: HC, OC, DC, GM, Owner.

LOL right.

DeShon Elliot S, Texas in the 2nd may not be bad for Free Safety if you want that over a CB or LB, he's had a productive year and 6 interceptions.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I think it would probably be quicker to list the things the Browns don't need. I guess their offensive line seems ok?(As long as Joe Thomas is down for another year of futility). Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman seems like a viable receiving tandem. Myles Garrett is seems great.
Am I missing anything? I haven't actually seen the Browns play.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Gatts posted:

Honestly after QB, I would rank FS as the most glaring defensive need, followed by a linebacker that can actually cover underneath. Then maybe a Tackle to replace Thomas if he doesn't come back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yaws posted:

gently caress Eli Manning for this poo poo btw. What a coward.

Really, and player that refuses to sign on a bad team is a bitch.

Considering the modern NFL is a meat grinder of rookie QBs thrown into unwinnable situations and destroyed within two seasons by expecting to be wizards to save broken franchises... nah

hold out

refuse the Browns

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

Honestly after QB, I would rank FS as the most glaring defensive need, followed by a linebacker that can actually cover underneath. Then maybe a Tackle to replace Thomas if he doesn't come back.

Aight. For me, I feel going for a QB then the best supposed player in the RB is a good decision but need to then draft to support them. I hope Thomas does come back but he's got to be on the back end of a career. If he can, I'd rather he go to the Patriots or something and get a Ring.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're not going to be competitive for a while, so it might not be totally dumb to skip a QB this year, and trade that number one for some more picks and shore up other places.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

They're not going to be competitive for a while, so it might not be totally dumb to skip a QB this year, and trade that number one for some more picks and shore up other places.

If they do that they should go for Fitzpatrick S and Barkley RB imo. It'd be a good defense and offense set. But then you'd still want to better your O Line to give him lanes. I said they should gently caress a QB last year and get one this year so I'm fine with a good QB this year or one that has potential........that needs a good coaching staff. :(

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Randaconda posted:

That's what they did the last 2 years, we can't do that a 3rd year in a row.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Randaconda posted:

they've done this for multiple years running and just went 0-16 so I don't think that it's a viable strategy somehow

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, poo poo. :negative:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Drafting a QB could work if they also signed a veteran to be starter

If they just toss a rookie in there game 1, it will just be the same thing that has happened to them for a decade now

Like, draft a good qb, bench him, build an offense around his style, and go from there

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Multi-year rebuilds don't make sense when NFL careers are so short. You should be competitive within three seasons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

You should be competitive within three seasons.

I keep hearing this but I cannot see how the Browns can turn themselves around in 3 seasons or less. The front office, the coaching staff, the roster, etc. all have giant problems that need to be addressed.

A few good players are not going to make the Browns good

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Flikken posted:

That's what they did the last 2 years, we can't do that a 3rd year in a row.

a patagonian cavy posted:

they've done this for multiple years running and just went 0-16 so I don't think that it's a viable strategy somehow

Hue will destroy any of the supposed top prospects once he gets his hands on them anyway so who cares? I can't think of a worse situation than letting Hue be the guy to "develop" the first QB taken in this potentially deep draft for them. Of course its also insane that a coach who went 1-15 with an expansion era level roster somehow regressed solidly despite another year of adding talent and refining the schemes to 0-16 and is somehow being retained.

Or that despite a new GM the structure is still everyone is on a loving island and report only to Heehaw. GM, HC, DePodesta, Berry all report directly to ownership instead of the normal structure every other loving team has of a chain of command and accountability.

And Hue has already started his backstabbing weasel bullshit positioning himself against Dorsey and the rest the past few weeks.

And when Hue inevitably goes loving 0-16 or 1-15 next year or some horseshit, the new HC will install a new offense and if there's one thing a top QB prospect thrives best under, its constantly changing systems and schemes every year or two. Worked great for Alex Smith!

But one year under Hue should sufficiently crush their confidence permanently anyway so why even worry about it I guess.

I just can't see any of the top QB prospects besides maybe Mayfield being able to come into the most hosed up team top to bottom in modern pro sports and enduring the next 24 months successfully.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

evilweasel posted:

what a magical way to end the year

These were the exact words I said as Coleman dropped that pass. Its sad cause they were really trying. At least the lions were phoning it in pretty hard near the end.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I keep hearing this but I cannot see how the Browns can turn themselves around in 3 seasons or less. The front office, the coaching staff, the roster, etc. all have giant problems that need to be addressed.

The way I see it is these comments are saying the average team should be able to go from suck to success in 3 years or less assuming not everything goes wrong

As with yaws' comment, the issue is the Browns aren't the average team

Everything will go wrong

The most damning thing I can say about sports (that doesn't involve the toll it takes on the human body physically and mentally while nobody cares until it's too late to repair the damage) is that it attracts the worst kind of idiots: the idiots who think all that's needed to fix a hopeless situation is themselves

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

one bookmaker in the UK has started putting next season's bets up

250/1 odds on the Browns going 16-0 has to be a joke.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wouldn't risk drafting a QB and just sign Cousins. Give him however much money he wants to put up being in Cleveland. 35 million a year? Sure!

Cousins plus four players in the top 40 from this draft, plus Gordon and Coleman and Garrett...

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A good qb will absolutely instantly make any team decent

The QB drought is real and the browns should absolutely use every single draft pick they have on QBs. They’ve got what, 6 picks in the first two rounds? Draft 6 QBs. If you look at the last 5 years of drafts maybe one of them will be good. If somehow two are good trade the other one to the loving Texans or one of the other 10 teams that desperately need a QB and get kings ransom in return

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 1, 2018

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
And just to hammer home how insane and awful Haslam is as an owner

The Browns are 19-71 since he bought the team

They enter an offseason with potentially a deep as hell QB class with 4 of the top 35 picks in the draft, including #1 overall and #4. 3 second rounders in total.

They hired a new GM with some pedigree to him despite it being the Browns

This would be the perfect opportunity to attract a quality HC candidate because with all the draft capital and 100m in cap space, the new HC/GM can make their mark and get the QB of choice in a deep draft, that fits their system and tastes while still adding a shitload of talent including another elite prospect with that #4 pick. On top of the team having a variety of existing actual talent to build with. A slam dunk for most teams. One of the easiest decisions and best opportunities the NFL offers.

Instead Haslam is doubling down on Hue after going 1-15 then 0-16, while having no less than 4 "decision makers" on the team who only report to ownership instead of something remotely resembling a successful and sane organizational structure.

poo poo is hosed.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wouldn't risk drafting a QB and just sign Cousins. Give him however much money he wants to put up being in Cleveland. 35 million a year? Sure!

Cousins plus four players in the top 40 from this draft, plus Gordon and Coleman and Garrett...

Fire Hue, grab an OC with talent who will adjust his scheme around the guys he has to be HC.

Sign Cousins, 40 mil a year gently caress it who cares, they have 100m in cap space.

Draft Barkley #1 overall and Chubb or Fitzpatrick at #4. Draft a RT and WR with 33 and 35 overall. Use the Eagles pick on whatever the gently caress.

Boom fixed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

A good qb will absolutely instantly make any team decent

A poo poo team will instantly also make any great QB burn out

look what the Colts did to Luck

Luck was a generational talent and might not be in the league in a few years

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

King Hong Kong posted:

250/1 odds on the Browns going 16-0 has to be a joke.

The Detroit Tigers are 150-1 to win the World Series next year, and no team is worse than 100-1, while in the NHL, the Coyotes are 500-1 to win the Stanley Cup, Buffalo are 150-1, everyone else 66-1 or shorter. Most UK bookies got burned by the stupid odds they laid on Leicester winning the Premier League, so they've pulled their prices right in so they don't let that happen

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The Detroit Tigers are 150-1 to win the World Series next year, and no team is worse than 100-1, while in the NHL, the Coyotes are 500-1 to win the Stanley Cup, Buffalo are 150-1, everyone else 66-1 or shorter. Most UK bookies got burned by the stupid odds they laid on Leicester winning the Premier League, so they've pulled their prices right in so they don't let that happen

The odds aren’t on the browns winning the super bowl. It’s on them going 16-0 which is incredibly hard for even good teams. 250 to 1 for the patriots to have a perfect season are reasonable odds. For the browns it should be 100,000 to 1

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If they get a league average QB they will be fine. Lots of good offensive players that Kizer couldn’t connect with.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

If they get a league average QB they will be fine. Lots of good offensive players that Kizer couldn’t connect with.

To be fair for a lot of the season the receivers were doing Kizer no favors. There were a ton of drops.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Flikken posted:

To be fair for a lot of the season the receivers were doing Kizer no favors. There were a ton of drops.

Looked it up and the Browns only had slightly more than average drops

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hue’s young, impressionable kids: Daddy, what happens if I fail badly at something?

Hue: Nothing happens. You just go to work and keep being bad.

Hue’s young, impressionable kids: So, you shouldn’t worry about being the worst ever at something?

Hue: Not at all. I’ll be going 1-47 in my tenure as Cleveland’s coach and I’ll still be safe. Kids, just exist. You’ll be fine.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

The odds aren’t on the browns winning the super bowl. It’s on them going 16-0 which is incredibly hard for even good teams. 250 to 1 for the patriots to have a perfect season are reasonable odds. For the browns it should be 100,000 to 1

Seriously. 250/1 is a Haslam-esque scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

King Hong Kong posted:

Seriously. 250/1 is a Haslam-esque scam.

it's not the statistical likelihood of it happening, it's "how much are prepared to lose if the unthinkable and absurb happens". Leicester winning the Premier League lost all UK bookies £25million all in, and it was the single biggest payout on the result of any sporting event in the UK iirc. No way any bookmaker worth their salt is going to expose themselves to the risk of potentially losing £100,000 per £1 staked even for the most unlikely, nay impossible, scenario. And if they did, they would reduce the maximum stake to something ridiculous like 10p or something

• Locked thread