Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gejnor posted:

Uuuh also apparently Albion?

This is from a really bad source though, some random youtube comment linked to this to its quite possibly a fake!

Coming up with four LLs for Albion sounds like a stretch though... Still, I'm sure CA could come up with something neat for those bog-dwellers. Would be neat if true but I still want Araby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
To be fair Araby feels much more likely than Albion, with it feeling more fleshed out as a potential faction and the tiny hints (CA: Currently occupied by Bretonnian Crusader Kingdoms) not to mention their regions exist on both the maps, Albion is if anything a tiny little island region on the vortex map with a non existant island thing off norsca on the ME map.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
i hope they do albion and make it super racist

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
like your entire point of albion is to brexit your self from the main land

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I have no idea if the map can do this but couldn't they make Albion be sort of a mini map on the regular map? Like if you're outside it then you see this relatively small cloud of mist and fog, if you sail into it/go to an army in it then it zooms in and it's an island with a province or two on it. Make it tough to take but worthwhile if you can hang onto it if you're not the faction that comes from there obviously. I know I read the map is difficult if not impossible to mod but I'd assume CA has a bit more ability to do stuff like that potentially. That'd be a pretty unique gimmick if it does turn out to be true. Seems like a weird one to come out with so quickly but maybe they'd want to space out the slightly more known ones since they have to save some big ticket ones for 3 as well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They were able to do multiple, interconnected maps in Empire: Total War and it did not end well.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mordja posted:

Coming up with four LLs for Albion sounds like a stretch though... Still, I'm sure CA could come up with something neat for those bog-dwellers. Would be neat if true but I still want Araby.

They're only doing four LLs for campaign packs (i.e the ones that used to have mini campaigns), not for race packs like norsca.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
As for more speculation ahoy, some people on reddit has theoryised that the new skaven FLC lord Tretch Craventail will unlock parts of the currently hidden yet somewhat there part of the dark lands since thats where he operates.

This is kind of nuts and i don't buy it, but im sure he'll be located there in WH3's version of ME.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Gejnor posted:

To be fair Araby feels much more likely than Albion, with it feeling more fleshed out as a potential faction and the tiny hints (CA: Currently occupied by Bretonnian Crusader Kingdoms)

Arkhan the Black's startpos is Araby. I don't think the odds of us getting an Araby factions are good at all, as pointed out by people in the thread when TK startpos were revealed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'd really want Araby more than anything else personally. Being able to start in that region would be a lot of fun, considering you'd get to contend with hostile Brettonian Crusaders, Dark Elves raiding from across the sea, and Tomb Kings of course.

They could make their faction built around having treasure hunting as a primary income source, combined with Tomb Kings ruins coughing up a lot of treasure. It would make for an interesting choice- you could stick to a traditional income source but not be able to build up fast enough to deal with all your hostile neighbors, or loot the pyramids for a big early advantage which inevitably pisses off all the Tomb kingdoms that try to wipe you out.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

To be fair Araby feels much more likely than Albion, with it feeling more fleshed out as a potential faction and the tiny hints (CA: Currently occupied by Bretonnian Crusader Kingdoms) not to mention their regions exist on both the maps, Albion is if anything a tiny little island region on the vortex map with a non existant island thing off norsca on the ME map.

I don't buy this particular leak at all, but I can't honestly envision a world where CA does Albion but not Araby so if Albion is a thing then hell, I look forward to the inevitable Amazons DLC because all bets are off at that point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmm.

I'm going to take the opposing stance, and say "gently caress Araby".

Tomb Kings however, are great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Amazon's when

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gejnor posted:

The AI will literally drop everything it is doing and snipe your "unprotected" (unprotected being the autoresolve tells it it will win even when it wouldn't, really) units, cities and yes, Black Arks if it has the possibility to do so.

This is especially noticable on Very Hard and Legendary where the AI is getting something like 2x the income, meaning it will field 2-3 stacks more than what you are capable of fielding and it will use every trick it knows to get those cheap wins, like forcemarching a 20 stack so it can reinforce a single unit that happened to be close by, thus making the autoresolve 100% in their favour.

But, the thing is, you have 150% movement to use to get away from anything, they can only attack you in normal stance with 100% movement, there shouldn't ever be a way for the AI to catch you if you keep your distance, even on legendary.

I've had the AI like bretonnia crusaders declare war and chase for a good 10 turns or so when sailing in view but just out of range, but they eventually give up and they usually lose half their territory chasing the little boaty around before their army can return.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 1, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

StashAugustine posted:

Amazon's when

I want to see Amazons partly because I'd love to see how CA fills them in, when their official stuff is 'Some ladies live in the jungle I guess and sometimes have lasers.'

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I want to see Amazons partly because I'd love to see how CA fills them in, when their official stuff is 'Some ladies live in the jungle I guess and sometimes have lasers.'

About on par with Albion, then.

Seriously though I'm pretty sure it's a fake leak. The inconsistent formatting alone seems like a red flag.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But, the thing is, you have 150% movement to use to get away from anything, they can only attack you in normal stance with 100% movement, there shouldn't ever be a way for the AI to catch you if you keep your distance, even on legendary.

I've had the AI like bretonnia crusaders declare war and chase for a good 10 turns or so when sailing in view but just out of range, but they eventually give up and they usually lose half their territory chasing the little boaty around before their army can return.

Armies in march can still act as reinforcements in a battle. A Black Ark sitting on the coast could potentially see an army consisting of a single Lord and like five peasant units that it could easily take in a fight, and then have said peasant army attack while being reinforced by a second army with Leoncoeur and 19 hippogryph knights that had been sitting just outside of vision or in ambush and entered march mode to reach the battle.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Not alyways, the AI will often make sure that when it attacks, its got you cornered for that double slam gently caress you dunk .

An example for instance is when an unrelated AI faction joins the war against you because their arch enemy asked them to, and of course it happens during the end turn waiting period so your units have already moved and oh of course, they were already right next to your Black Ark for no reason (or all you saw was a low unit force that was neutral anyways, not knowing a 20 stack was just outside of viewrange ready to forcemarch) so they can insta snipe it without you being able to even react.

And if you reload and go into force-naval march lol gently caress you now they just use that one unit dude to initiate combat while the 20 stack forcemarches into reinforcement range.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's really the autoresolve that's the biggest factor. I never have the slightest idea what fights the Arks can win or not, I've seen head-scratching results in either direction. The Ai though, knows when it's got you dead with that one poo poo-looking stack in range and so kills you instantly.

It's not that it's impossible to keep Black Arks alive, it's the constant, constant babysitting to protect your helpless little auto-resolve tugboat that just gets draining very quickly. You're playing a horde that can only autoresolve and that's never going to be fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Suggestion for fixing Black Arks - add in a defensive stance to them that increases their stats a lot. Probably a bit more balanced than just buffing them directly.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

KazigluBey posted:

Arkhan the Black's startpos is Araby. I don't think the odds of us getting an Araby factions are good at all, as pointed out by people in the thread when TK startpos were revealed.

Well, Araby is more than a single region, hell its more than a single province! The area encompasses something like 3-4 provinces.

Not sure why people have assumed that just because he starts in Araby = No Araby faction in the future.

Thats like saying awh man Skrolk starts in Lustria they won't make Lizardmen now.

Theres room for both is what im sayin'

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 1, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Well, Araby is more than a single region, hell its more than a single province! The area encompasses something like 3-4 provinces.

Not sure why people have assumed that just because he starts in Araby = No Araby faction in the future.

Thats like saying awh man Skrolk starts in Lustria they won't make Lizardmen now.

Theres room for both is what im sayin'

We also need more faction starts in Southlands. It's going from nothing to just TK in ME. For a series so built around pairings, there is no pairing yet for TK. In Vortex you have Queek v Kroq, Skrolk v Teclis, Maz v Morathi, Malekith v Tyrion ( technically ). With TK you'll add in Khalida to the Skrolk v Teclis, Khatep to the Maz v Morathi, and then add Settra v Arkhan, but that'll be uh, not super great to just fight your own faction all game.

I would be shocked if we didn't get Araby.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I feel like the Bretonnian Crusader kingdoms have pretty high odds of being replaced. From what I understand of ~the lore~ Araby comprises most of northern fantasy Africa.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Did they say they were adding new start positions for old world LL's at some point or what

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What would be even better would be a more customizable Mortal Empires campaign giving you the ability to dictate the starting location of various factions and legendary lords.

So you could do cool stuff like have Mors control K8P outright and Belegar start way out in Karak Zorn. Or have Gelt go pal around with Teclis. Perhaps waagh it out against Lizardmen in the jungles, and so on.

I know mods cover this somewhat, but it would be even better if it were baked into the game to open more sandbox experiences and various racial match-ups.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

What would be even better would be a more customizable Mortal Empires campaign giving you the ability to dictate the starting location of various factions and legendary lords.

So you could do cool stuff like have Mors control K8P outright and Belegar start way out in Karak Zorn. Or have Gelt go pal around with Teclis. Perhaps waagh it out against Lizardmen in the jungles, and so on.

I know mods cover this somewhat, but it would be even better if it were baked into the game to open more sandbox experiences and various racial match-ups.

Karak Eight Peaks at Campaign Start

I swear i saw a similar mod that makes it so one of your racial enemies like Skarsnik or Queek starts in K8P as well if you're Belegar, Skarsnik etc.

Also i recommend this mod if you're itching for a Mors campaign, takes you into instant striking distance of Greenskins, Dwarfs and much closer to the humies up north.

I do agree with you though, i would love to be able to select my starting zone straight in the UI part of the "start new campaign" dealio.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 1, 2018

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Gejnor posted:

I swear i saw a similar mod that makes it so one of your racial enemies like Skarsnik or Queek starts in K8P as well if you're Belegar, Skarsnik etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198319612&searchtext=script

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gejnor posted:

Also i recommend this mod if you're itching for a Mors campaign, takes you into instant striking distance of Greenskins, Dwarfs and much closer to the humies up north.

I do agree with you though, i would love to be able to select my starting zone straight in the UI part of the "start new campaign" dealio.
Yeah I've heard of that mod. In fact I might be tempted to try it in conjuction with SFO since the latter mod gives Skaven obscenely huge unit sizes (doesn't help them in autoresolve sadly, but it's a blast to have 800 Dorfs deep frying 6,000 rats at a time.)

Just being able to tweak these things could also help adress balance issues.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fangz posted:

Suggestion for fixing Black Arks - add in a defensive stance to them that increases their stats a lot. Probably a bit more balanced than just buffing them directly.

Even if you hella buffed Black Arks it wouldn't matter. They can't impact the 90% of the game that is land based.

Other then their somewhat mediocre artillery.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gejnor posted:

I gotta ask what the point of starting at K8P with Belegar is unless you just wanna like, roll over the entire world on easy mode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this a mod map or base game? Karak Kadrin.

Somebody better do a mod to add unique buildings to places like The Moot, just for flavor. I love the unique buildings even if they're just little level 3 slightly better than normal buildings.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 2, 2018

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

It's really the autoresolve that's the biggest factor. I never have the slightest idea what fights the Arks can win or not, I've seen head-scratching results in either direction. The Ai though, knows when it's got you dead with that one poo poo-looking stack in range and so kills you instantly.

What about slightly randomizing the AI's perception of autoresolve odds? Make them less predictable and sometimes prone to playing it too safe or taking risks, acting more realistically fallible and simulating fog of war. And if possible, tailoring the random chance to each faction.

Would that be doable in a mod?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rockopete posted:

What about slightly randomizing the AI's perception of autoresolve odds? Make them less predictable and sometimes prone to playing it too safe or taking risks, acting more realistically fallible and simulating fog of war. And if possible, tailoring the random chance to each faction.

Would that be doable in a mod?

This is already how it works. Autoresolve includes random elements.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
When's the next lore post? Parts one and two of bone town was good.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sazabi posted:

When's the next lore post? Parts one and two of bone town was good.

Next week when I get back to the states, and then one more the week after before they release

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KazigluBey posted:

Arkhan is known to mess up Araby in his fluff and he didn't even get a capital city as his base of operations, the faction is absolutely still on the plate.

I am not buying Albion, specially because they don't even exist in the Mortal Empires map and they have practically no real estate, unlike Araby (which even with Arkhan squatting in the Wizard Caliph's Palace still have like 15 regions as home territories). If that screenshot is true then that just tells me CA has learned how to use codenames for what they are working on. I'd even say the same is true for Rat from Game 3 territory coming in instead of the Clan Moulder dude as the FLC Ratlord.

[Fake edit]Curiously enough, Arkhan's start is no longer one of the featured pictures in the RotTK page.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a cool Zhufbar map but my reinforcement spawned underwater.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
GCCM has a custom assets mod that appears to give special defensive structures, like Dwarven gates that blast napalm or steam at attackers. However it doesn't seem to work for the campaign map changes. That's too bad, I could see a lot of novel defenses for various cities. Like Nuln getting some kind of Paris Gun, Naggaroth getting wrecking balls made of katamari-ed up slaves, Skavenblight getting a moat of toxic waste teeming with sewer mutants, Black Crag with Squig chunk etc.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
About the only thing I can say in favor of the supposed Albion datamine is that the three units/characters listed are really left field, like in the "There's a bunch of fan-made Albion armies, and none of them have those guys" sort of way. You'd expect a hoax to list something more recognizable or, uh, iconic, which is impossible to say about anything Albion related.

Other than that though, nothing about it is particularly believable. The formatting is wrong, Albion is the stretch goal of minor factions for game 2, there isn't even a place for them on the map, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

They were able to do multiple, interconnected maps in Empire: Total War and it did not end well.

The interconnected maps weren't really a problem in Empire, though. It was the bad and sometimes flat out bizarre designs decisions on the maps themselves. Also the fact that the rest of the game was bad and barely worked.

Still not into the idea of adding an additional map into the game. There's plenty of other interesting factions to add without all the weirdness involved with that.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2018