Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kirbysuperstar posted:

Die Hard Arcade is even better than Die Hard Trilogy

Arcade is good but it has little to do with the movie.

Trilogy made 12-year-old me go "Holy poo poo it's like I'm in the movie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvjnsbw7AI&t=180s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

WaltherFeng posted:

The game gets significantly better when you get a shotgun

Yeah shotgunning clickers is cathartic however I have currently completely run out of shotgun shells :smugmrgw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

:agreed:
I've been keeping it upgraded, shooting perk upgraded and when poo poo hits the fan I pop it the good old pump shottie and start blasting heads at point blank.

I'm not liking the shooting on TLoU but the shotgun really feels powerful and like a true zombie killer tool.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Just beat The Last of Us on Hard. It was pretty challenging. I didn't really use bombs until the last level and holy poo poo they're so good. When I replay it in a year I'll be sure to use them.

Man I loved it so much. The ending is really well done, much better than I expected. Hope they do a sequel at some point with a different cast or something. There's so much detail and love put into it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Good news, friend!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Electromax posted:

Alien 3, A Bug's Life, SNES Return of the Jedi, GBA Ecks Vs Sever are traditionally considered the best examples of this.

Ecks Vs Sever is the only actually bad movie out of those though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also SNES RotJ is not a good game

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Guillermus posted:

Is mindblowing how better is Alien 3 on the SNES over the film. It was like speedrunning Aliens.

It also had loving awesome music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6qJno5R0tI

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Guillermus posted:

Just the SP is worth the sale price. MP still has plenty of players (NA goons have the better peak hours) and Frontier Defense is one of the best coop modes in recent years. (just my opinion)

Thanks. I had a little over $50 in holiday PSN cards so finally took the plunge and spent 20 on Titanfall 2. Hopefully have some time to get into MP tonight. I broke my ankle recently so I have a lot more couch time than usual. I thought about spending it on the Uncharted 4 DLC but not at $40.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Ecks Vs Sever is the only actually bad movie out of those though

Hey I don't write the consensus I just report facts.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

WaltherFeng posted:

This is true of any video game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Akuma posted:

I'm sorry what?

WHAT?

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0177-NPJD00009_00-0000000000000000

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it's great. I can't believe how much I disliked Fallout 4 compared to nearly every other main Bethesda game. Like it seems such a huge step back from Skyrim

I've been playing Skyrim again too, and I'll maintain that FO4 still has fun gameplay and great exploration and a great world, but yeah they really dropped the ball in the story dept. Skyrim still holds up as a much much better game. I'm so mad at it right now though. I ran into a bug that breaks Dawnguard, which I've never played and now, 50 hours in I still can't play it. And google leads me to believe it was a bug that launched with the DLC, has affected thousands of people, and bethesda never fixed it. And then they had the gall to release the game on 3 more platforms without fixing it. Just totally unacceptable.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 1, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've been playing Skyrim again too, and I'll maintain that FO4 still has fun gameplay and great exploration and a great world, but yeah they really dropped the ball in the story dept.

Yeah totally agree. The story was woeful

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Akuma posted:

I'm sorry what?

WHAT?

I just searched. It's not there, and I'm pretty sure they were trolling in the first place, although it's also entirely possible that it was at one point available but the license expired.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I just searched. It's not there, and I'm pretty sure they were trolling in the first place, although it's also entirely possible that it was at one point available but the license expired.

It wont pop up because it's the JP store. I saw the thumbnail for a second before it got blocked so it's there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

It wont pop up because it's the JP store. I saw the thumbnail for a second before it got blocked so it's there.

Oh JP store. drat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Thanks. I had a little over $50 in holiday PSN cards so finally took the plunge and spent 20 on Titanfall 2. Hopefully have some time to get into MP tonight. I broke my ankle recently so I have a lot more couch time than usual. I thought about spending it on the Uncharted 4 DLC but not at $40.

Your av is fuckin sweet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Oh JP store. drat.
It also looks like a remake, which I guess is a thing the PS2 got. So it doesn't quite hit the nostalgia centre of my brain, anyway. It is pretty cheap, though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Played Uncharted 2 to completion today. Thoughts:

- The quality jump is really insane, the action is amazing and poo poo keeps ramping up in the best ways

- More enemy variety, shakes things up

- Cool jacket

- Actual puzzles, not as hard as a real puzzle game but entertaining. Drake's little notes are neat too

- Holy poo poo Chloe survived! What are the chances?

- The difficulty curve is still iffy, will definitely play 3 on Easy

- It's weird how they treat the supernatural stuff like, the Yetis weren't Yetis but they're still juiced up juggernauts who need a hundred bullets in the face to die, of curse we need to stop Lazarevic, Chloe!

- Someone on the dev team hates helicopters

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

I played a while ago but I thought it sucked. You have to do all the event types to advance, and most of them are bad. There's no gameplay hook because you never ever upgrade your character's abilities.

Yeah, you’re right but sadly were a few hours too late. Might not be too bad to play drunk though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Samuringa posted:

- It's weird how they treat the supernatural stuff like, the Yetis weren't Yetis but they're still juiced up juggernauts who need a hundred bullets in the face to die, of curse we need to stop Lazarevic, Chloe!

That new weapon that drops kills them extremely quickly.

When it comes down to it, I think 2 had the best encounter design. It's still not perfect, but I always thought the shooting in these games were pretty good and while each game had unique problems with enemy types, the encounter design always ranged from alright, to pretty darn good (mostly in 2) to downright trash. They never quite tuned the difficulty to match the level design nor do the place enemies in good places to allow you different approaches. 4 did a good job as well, for the most part, but also suffered from "ok, you cleared them out, now here come a dozen more from this one spot" and it gets messy.

2, though, is a well-made game all the way through. I still remember that one spot in 2 when you're hanging from the sign and you kept switching sides of it as the enemies came into the arena. I thought that was a really fun, neat encounter.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

- Someone on the dev team hates helicopters

There's a collaboration between Capcom and Naughty Dog. They needed Capcom's experience at making every drat chopper crash no matter what.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

I got Toukiden 2 to hold me over until Monster Hunter World comes out later this month. Mechanics are solid and it lacks a lot of the stuff that aggravated me about the MH games. The story is anime garbage but that's to be expected (also who plays MH for story). If you just play it as MH except with demons instead of dinosaurs it's a good buy at the sale price.

I did not try multiplayer so can't speak to whether there is still an active population there, but you can turn off the English-only server restriction and probably find some Japanese diehards to play with.
To my surprise I ended up really liking the NPC characters in that game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

I forgot one thing, but this one is more personal: I'm glad it shifted away from Nathan Drake's Ethnical Cleansing, the first was a bit uncomfortable.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Uncharted 2 really stands out in my mind as a fun experience because of one specific thing that happened:

I was running along someplace with Chloe and wound up on top of a hotel or something, mindlessly hit the wrong button as I was running along, and Nathan shouted, "This way!" as he somersaulted off the edge of the roof into the abyss and certain death.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The best part of Uncharted games has always been interrupting scripted banter by falling to your death

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
At one point it was me, Chloe and Elena together and Chloe said: "Look, Elena he'll fall on his face." and I missed a jump and died :saddowns:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Arcade is good but it has little to do with the movie.

Trilogy made 12-year-old me go "Holy poo poo it's like I'm in the movie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvjnsbw7AI&t=180s
That was one of the first games that got me thinking that action games pretty much have to be about killing bazillions of dumb enemies instead of a small number of smart enemies, since the latter is one of the central features of the Die Hard movies. Not much has changed since then in that regard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Meldonox posted:

Uncharted 2 really stands out in my mind as a fun experience because of one specific thing that happened:

I was running along someplace with Chloe and wound up on top of a hotel or something, mindlessly hit the wrong button as I was running along, and Nathan shouted, "This way!" as he somersaulted off the edge of the roof into the abyss and certain death.

The one constant throughout the entire Uncharted series are those little 3-foot jumps that actually cause you to fall to your death because you went someplace they didn't want you to go.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Your av is fuckin sweet.

Thanks! I got it in one of the change your av threads. I think Barons Cyber Skull made it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jimbot posted:

That new weapon that drops kills them extremely quickly.

When it comes down to it, I think 2 had the best encounter design. It's still not perfect, but I always thought the shooting in these games were pretty good and while each game had unique problems with enemy types, the encounter design always ranged from alright, to pretty darn good (mostly in 2) to downright trash. They never quite tuned the difficulty to match the level design nor do the place enemies in good places to allow you different approaches. 4 did a good job as well, for the most part, but also suffered from "ok, you cleared them out, now here come a dozen more from this one spot" and it gets messy.

2, though, is a well-made game all the way through. I still remember that one spot in 2 when you're hanging from the sign and you kept switching sides of it as the enemies came into the arena. I thought that was a really fun, neat encounter.

4 had the best endgame, for sure. 1 and 2 were plagued with contrived supernatural thing! while 3 also sorta was, as I recall. 4 Does away with all of that, and is just fantastic for it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In 3 the endgame surprise thing was a powerful hallucinogen which was kind of a clever subversion but not really enough to make up for being the third game in a row to end with a bunch of weird nonhuman enemies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fuzz posted:

4 had the best endgame, for sure. 1 and 2 were plagued with contrived supernatural thing! while 3 also sorta was, as I recall. 4 Does away with all of that, and is just fantastic for it.

I actually prefer to have that. 4's lack of one was to its detriment. I liked 4 overall but it tended to get stuck up its own rear end. Lost Legacy could have had one too, but that one at least got back to its adventure serials shlock roots.

I'll always appreciate 4's Guybrush Threepwood easter egg, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It is really funny that they couldn't commit to the ridiculousness of having a Yeti in the game and went the Scooby Doo route with it. Just to have the aliens from Avatar running around an hour later.

Uncharted 2 is great but it's by far the silliest one in the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It is really funny that they couldn't commit to the ridiculousness of having a Yeti in the game and went the Scooby Doo route with it. Just to have the aliens from Avatar running around an hour later.

Uncharted 2 is great but it's by far the silliest one in the series.

The yetis and the Blue Man Group are the same guys, though. Just dudes hepped up on magic tree sap.

It's a tossup between UC2's sap and UC1's Zombie Casket, really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

The yetis and the Blue Man Group are the same guys, though. Just dudes hepped up on magic tree sap.

It's a tossup between UC2's sap and UC1's Zombie Casket, really.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. The fact that it's a magic blue monster man in a Yeti suit actually makes it funnier then. I thought it was one of the sherpas for some reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

UC3 has the best SP in the series, regardless of UC2's highs. I'm sorry, grenade tossback is simply too good.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I’m in the midst of an Uncharted playthrough and I agree with a lot of the folks here from what I’ve seen thus far. Playing Uncharted 3 right now and just got to Sully got shot, some sort of hallucinogenic made Nate trip balls, and he’s trying to go after Marlowe and Talbot.

This series has amazing set pieces and character development, so even when I die (and I have died a ton) I’m invested enough to keep trying to see what the characters encounter next. And multiple times I have exclaimed “How the gently caress did this poo poo work on a PS3?” Naughty Dog are a bunch of wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I liked UC3 well enough but I especially loved the script which is basically someone doing a find and replace on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and then they were gonna clean it up to make it less obvious but then just kind of forgot to do that