Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol no playoff game is 90-10.

It's football dude.

Didn’t some folks give about those odds in favor of the Saints over the 7-9 Seahawks? Totally worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thaddius the Large posted:

Didn’t some folks give about those odds in favor of the Saints over the 7-9 Seahawks? Totally worth it

That game was a 10-11 (depending on book) spread game, which is more like 75-25.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/566348-2010-nfl-playoffs-saints-at-seahawks-predictions-and-odds
https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/appendix/11/

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Pees is officially gonna leave today. Thank the lord. Pees is the worst defensive coordinator we have ever seen on the Ravens, except maybe Mattison. His defenses are known for failing late in games. Its no coincidence that the one year we we went 4-0 against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, was the year with Pagano as DC. John Harbaugh probably wont get fired but he is the worst of the "big 3" coaches in this division, assuming Marvin Lewis decides to stay.

This team ought to be embarrassed by the product it fields. It is boring to watch and increasingly obsolete. Newsome needs an advisor for drafting at skill positions.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rad Valtar posted:

I don’t think I’ve quite seen anything like the turnaround the Niners had after getting Jimmy G. I am pumped about next season.

On a side note, the number of brand new 49ers flags I've seen hung around my neighborhood is amazing and unsurprising :laugh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Let me tell you more about how much I hate my team that has had five playoff appearances, a championship and one losing season in the past 10 years

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

Pees is officially gonna leave today. Thank the lord. Pees is the worst defensive coordinator we have ever seen on the Ravens, except maybe Mattison. His defenses are known for failing late in games. Its no coincidence that the one year we we went 4-0 against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, was the year with Pagano as DC. John Harbaugh probably wont get fired but he is the worst of the "big 3" coaches in this division, assuming Marvin Lewis decides to stay.

This team ought to be embarrassed by the product it fields. It is boring to watch and increasingly obsolete. Newsome needs an advisor for drafting at skill positions.

Wink Martindale!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

On a side note, the number of brand new 49ers flags I've seen hung around my neighborhood is amazing and unsurprising :laugh:

But I thought only the Seahawks had bandwagon fans? Please confirm?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let me tell you more about how much I hate my team that has had five playoff appearances, a championship and one losing season in the past 10 years

imagine watching the Ravens all season and thinking the defense was the problem

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

shirts and skins posted:

But I thought only the Seahawks had bandwagon fans? Please confirm?

Nah; most of the Seahawks bandwagon fans during their SB run+ were 49ers bandwagon fans in the years prior. They just got more annoying when they became 12s and started cosplaying.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

imagine watching the Ravens all season and thinking the defense was the problem

It was in a lot of ways--especially later in the season. Most Ravens fans agree with me about Pees.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kawalimus posted:

Start 2018 off right: Add gimmick accounts to your ignore list.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

Nah; most of the Seahawks bandwagon fans during their SB run+ were 49ers bandwagon fans in the years prior. They just got more annoying when they became 12s and started cosplaying.

I'm guessing Medford, OR is like the Missouri-style bellwether on whether SF or SEA is better at that point.

If a mediocre year from the Hawks gets people to chill the gently caress out a bit then that may be ok. People were losing their drat minds the last few weeks.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Kawalimus posted:

Will you finally be happy with the team if they get a new OC and DC?

This game was an embarrassing collapse, but I think with a few changes we’ll be in good shape for next season.

Also, isn’t Decosta pretty much doing the draft nowadays?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
HELL YEAH BABY

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/947911751143534592

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

E_Motion posted:

This game was an embarrassing collapse, but I think with a few changes we’ll be in good shape for next season.

I think you guys need a new QB

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Start 2018 off right: Add gimmick accounts to your ignore list.

Except everything in that post is in earnest. Pees was trash. He was our Dom Capers. And blew lots of late leads(especially to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh).And Newsome is a great GM who struggles to fill skill positions.

I dont blame people for not keeping up with the Ravens but please do so first before calling me a liar.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think you guys need a new QB

Nah, Joe is good enough for now, just needs some weapons that would also be starting on other teams

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

E_Motion posted:

Ill be happy when they dont stick with guys who are obvious failures. Pees was that. New coordinators are a step, but only if theyre competent.

Regarding Flacco, he did step it up the second half of this season. We need receivers. Hes not perfect and is awful at downfield throws but we can win with him.

I dont know who specifically does the draft stuff but we've had these WR problems for most of his tenure.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 1, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N:

v: :byewhore:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

It was in a lot of ways--especially later in the season. Most Ravens fans agree with me about Pees.

By almost every metric out there, the Ravens' defense finished in the top 5 among the NFL, including 1st in INTs, 3rd in penalties committed (fewer), 1st in DVOA, and 6th in points allowed. And where they weren't in the top 5, they were usually in the top 10. Hell, the only reason the Ravens rank as high as they do in points scored is because the defense scored 6 TDs off INTs and fumble returns and the ST unit had 2 kick/punt returns for TDs. Meanwhile Flacco threw only 18 TDs to 13 INTs and an 80.4 passer rating and spent all day Sunday underthrowing Mike Wallace before hucking up a(n admittedly unlucky, but thrown behind his man) pick-6 that ended up turning a comeback drive into a down-two-scores affair. The team's top receiver this year was an old busted Mike Wallace who failed to crack even 800 yards receiving and when the season was on the line, the Ravens somehow thought dumping it off to an 800 year-old Ben Watson 5 yards short of the sticks in the middle of the field was the way to go. But no, the defense was what killed you this season. Yeah, that's it. And lots of people agree with you, just off these forums

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Fenrir posted:

gently caress the Ravens and Seahawks for making GBS threads on my historic pick'em run. I hope they both got eliminated for making GBS threads the bed. They had EVERYTHING to play for against teams that had nothing to win at all. And they still lost.

I'm glad you're out of the playoffs if you suck at week 17 against teams that are terrible. gently caress, you lost to the cardinals and bengals. two of the worst not-browns/bears teams in the entire NFL. I hope you really love those draft picks.

Jesus christ.

I just checked and somehow I moved up to 21st overall in the standings despite starting pretty mediocre all year.

Not quite your run, but pretty good overall.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

By almost every metric out there, the Ravens' defense finished in the top 5 among the NFL, including 1st in INTs, 3rd in penalties committed (fewer), 1st in DVOA, and 6th in points allowed. And where they weren't in the top 5, they were usually in the top 10. Hell, the only reason the Ravens rank as high as they do in points scored is because the defense scored 6 TDs off INTs and fumble returns and the ST unit had 2 kick/punt returns for TDs. Meanwhile Flacco threw only 18 TDs to 13 INTs and an 80.4 passer rating and spent all day Sunday underthrowing Mike Wallace before hucking up a pick-6 that ended up turning a comeback drive into a down-two-scores affair. The team's top receiver this year was an old busted Mike Wallace who failed to crack even 800 yards receiving and when the season was on the line, the Ravens somehow thought dumping it off to an 800 year-old Ben Watson 5 yards short of the sticks in the middle of the field was the way to go. But no, the defense was what killed you this season. Yeah, that's it. And lots of people agree with you, just off these forums

No, most Ravens fans on here agree with me about Pees also. We had the benefit of facing a lot of crap offenses and QBs. The defense has great personnel we just need a better coordinator like Pagano.

Also your mention of Flacco "hucking up a pick 6" is ridiculous-- he put it on the receivers hands who bobbled it up in the air. Yes he underthrows people downfield and he had a bad start to this year. But he also had a busted offensive line and like no receivers. If we get a couple good WRs, then with Collins this can be a strong offense.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

College Slice

Kawalimus posted:

No, most Ravens fans on here agree with me about Pees also. We had the benefit of facing a lot of crap offenses and QBs. The defense has great personnel we just need a better coordinator like Pagano.

Also your mention of Flacco "hucking up a pick 6" is ridiculous-- he put it on the receivers hands who bobbled it up in the air. Yes he underthrows people downfield and he had a bad start to this year. But he also had a busted offensive line and like no receivers. If we get a couple good WRs, then with Collins this can be a strong offense.

Oh man I would love for Pagano to return to Baltimore.

And yeah, Joe makes stupid mistakes, but that pick six was fully on Collins for bobbling the ball right into a defender’s hands

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah, I made the edit to clarify, though it wasn't a pristine pass or anything.

I don't care how many Ravens fans agree with your warped view of the world--the offense is what killed the Ravens this year. Over and over, almost across the board, with the exception of Collins. Bad line, bad receivers, poor QB play.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whew.

I hope he has a nice retirement and spends his millions wisely and charitably.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't care how many Ravens fans agree with your warped view of the world--the offense is what killed the Ravens this year. Over and over, almost across the board, with the exception of Collins. Bad line, bad receivers, poor QB play.

I that that 39-38 Steelers game a few weeks ago with Roethlisberger throwing for 500 yards on them was really traumatic for Ravens fans

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
that makes a lot of sense, actually

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Pees can't close out games. It's been a constant his entire time here. Hell randomly googling, this was written in July of this year:

quote:

The Baltimore Ravens defense was solid last year. They ranked inside of the top 10 in points, rushing yards, passing yards, and total yards allowed. It was a major step above an injury ridden 2015 season. However, even with this solid performance, there was still one major problem. The defense blew leads at the end of games.

The Ravens blew 3 major leads last season. All which were in the 4th quarter. Week 4 against the Raiders, week 6 against the Giants and week 16 against the Steelers. If it weren’t for an Eagles missed 2-point conversion, it would have happened a 4th time.

If the Ravens win one of these games they would have made the playoffs. At 9-7 they would have owned the tiebreaker over the Dolphins for the #6 seed. But that wasn’t the case. The Ravens were forced to watch the playoffs from home.

Sound familiar?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sharknado slashfic posted:

Pees can't close out games. It's been a constant his entire time here. Hell randomly googling, this was written in July of this year:

Sound familiar?

Inability to close down games is usually down to the offense having short drives and leaving the defense out there to get tired.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sound familiar?

it's the same dumb bullshit all over again, and I don't mean Pees--Last year the Ravens were 21st in points scored, with an even worse offensive line. Flacco threw 20 TDs to 15 INTs for an 83.5 passer rating with Mallet subbing in to throw 0 TDs and an INT. Add to that the fact that the Steelers, Giants, and Raiders were all among the league's best teams last season and in the OAK/NYG games, the Ravens got the ball back with more than a minute left on the clock after the final score and failed to do anything with it.

Honestly it's kind of amazing to me that Ravens fans aren't used to a team that has a good defense but can't score points after like one or two bizzarro years of passable offense

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Some message board guy whipped this up

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Inability to close down games is usually down to the offense having short drives and leaving the defense out there to get tired.

quote:

Mattison: 12 losses, 7 Blown fourth quarter leads (Two years)
Pees: 41 losses, 17 Blown fourth quarter leads (Five Years)
Every other DC from 2000 on: 71 losses, 13 Blown fourth quarter leads (10 years)

I added in last nights loss to his research. 24 losses in 53 games. That's nearly half our losses in a 7 year span (including Mattison).

To be fair I have no idea what the league average in blown 4th quarter leads is.

If you can show me that's league average or below league average I'll concede but until then I'm dying on this hill.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I don't think it's too out there to say that the Ravens' failings on one side of the ball accentuated the flaws on the other. Ravens O not managing to move the ball in the fourth quarter played a big part, but I think Pees' late-game scheming didn't do them any favors either. The only reason they won as many games as they did is definitely down to the talent on the D though; think about how many wins this season and the last couple came down to last-minute picks or forced fumbles after the opponent drove down the field like it was nothing. I think a lot of Ravens fans (myself included) worry that that talent is getting wasted.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I that that 39-38 Steelers game a few weeks ago with Roethlisberger throwing for 500 yards on them was really traumatic for Ravens fans

It wasnt traumatic at all. I saw it coming the whole way. And yes the offensive ineptitude does play into these defensive meltdowns. Its two units cooperating to fail despite having the personnel to succeed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Some message board guy whipped this up

I added in last nights loss to his research. 24 losses in 53 games. That's nearly half our losses in a 7 year span (including Mattison).

To be fair I have no idea what the league average in blown 4th quarter leads is.

If you can show me that's league average or below league average I'll concede but until then I'm dying on this hill.

There's more research to be done, and those aren't particularly compelling stats to me because:
- A "loss" stat for a DC is, at best, laughably worthless
- Not all fourth-quarter leads are equal. 21 points is a lot easier to hold than 1 point
- Does the blown 4th quarter lead stat account for saves?
- Blowing a 4th quarter lead requires having the lead in the first place, and so the stat may perversely make Kyle Boller's Ravens look better than they are
- It doesn't account for opponent strength. Holding a lead against the Steelers and Bengals has been more difficult over the past few years than it was in the pre-Brown/Green era

e: My point is also not that Pees is some amazing coordinator--I think he's OK--but moreso that the Ravens have such a massive problem on the offensive side of the ball that it's laughable to me to even begin to blame the defense. It'd be like Saints fans calling for Pete Carmichael's head after another bad season with Rob Ryan as DC

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 1, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's more research to be done, and those aren't particularly compelling stats to me because:
- A "loss" stat for a DC is, at best, laughably worthless
- Not all fourth-quarter leads are equal. 21 points is a lot easier to hold than 1 point
- Does the blown 4th quarter lead stat account for saves?
- Blowing a 4th quarter lead requires having the lead in the first place, and so the stat may perversely make Kyle Boller's Ravens look better than they are
- It doesn't account for opponent strength. Holding a lead against the Steelers and Bengals has been more difficult over the past few years than it was in the pre-Brown/Green era

e: My point is also not that Pees is some amazing coordinator--I think he's OK--but moreso that the Ravens have such a massive problem on the offensive side of the ball that it's laughable to me to even begin to blame the defense. It'd be like Saints fans calling for Pete Carmichael's head after another bad season with Rob Ryan as DC

Yeah it doesn't account for turnovers by the offense in our own red zone either which is something I thought of when I posted it. The dirty secret is to look at that record under "all other defensive coordinators 2000 on" and guess why a bunch of people are mad at Pees :ssh: Also at least 2 of those losses are "win and in" games (last night, Steelers last year) which fuels the narrative.

I never thought he was terrible but I still think he schemes poorly at the end of games.

e: Guess I didn't die on that hill after all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When all's said and done, I wonder just how many people will end up losing their jobs because Joe Flacco quit giving a poo poo the minute he signed his megacontract

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

When all's said and done, I wonder just how many people will end up losing their jobs because Joe Flacco quit giving a poo poo the minute he signed his megacontract

Thats not true. He had the best year of his career in 2014 under Kubiak.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

Thats not true. He had the best year of his career in 2014 under Kubiak.

I could argue 2010 was Flacco's best year, but I agree that he didn't just give up after he got the contract

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I do sometimes say he doesnt give a drat anymore but thats just in-game heat, for anyone planning to expose my sinister ways.

2014 was just an amazing offensive year for us. I just wish wed had a real great RB for it like old Jamal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The 2014 Ravens also had a 2 score lead on the Patriots in the divisional game which a Dean Pees defense blew.

The offensive side of the ball is poo poo because of talent, the defensive plays well then turns to poo poo in big moments because they play overly conservative not to lose football at the end of close games.

• Locked thread