Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't have to worry about seeding global trade, it grows naturally from provinces with high trade power. Manufactories and enlightenment also grow naturally from provinces with manufactories obviously and universities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Institutions kind of do the opposite of what they're supposed to, since the ones that occur when europe was basically indistinguishable from not-europe center in europe and the ones that occur when europe actually HAD some sort of advantage are universal.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Wow, the AI really is completely useless with transports unless it has ten million of them. I just had a war against France and my Florentine West Indies let its 45-stack sit idle while an 18-stack of French colony troops slowly sieged down everything but Cuba.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get the Gothic Invasion achievement as Theodoro and I could use some pointers on how best to do it.

So far my go to strategy has been to go east by invading Circassia and starting to nibble on The Great Horde once I've been able to secure an alliance with Muscovy. However all of that hinges on that I am able to survive that long: Muscovy has to annex at least one vassal before even considering taking me on. Also Muscovy seems to be struggling: in my last game playing as Theodoro they had racked up a pile of loans to the point where they would not join me in taking more horde lands, and then they were broken by a peasants' war before 1500.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah that happens all the time. If you want to rely on a powerful ally to help you they collapse and if you want to start near at a fragile enemy like the old Timurids they suddenly become rock stable. :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

I'm trying to get the Gothic Invasion achievement as Theodoro and I could use some pointers on how best to do it.

So far my go to strategy has been to go east by invading Circassia and starting to nibble on The Great Horde once I've been able to secure an alliance with Muscovy. However all of that hinges on that I am able to survive that long: Muscovy has to annex at least one vassal before even considering taking me on. Also Muscovy seems to be struggling: in my last game playing as Theodoro they had racked up a pile of loans to the point where they would not join me in taking more horde lands, and then they were broken by a peasants' war before 1500.

no cb an irish minor, vassalize them. use them to core another irish province, then no cb east frisia. now invade

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Say, what's currently the best map mod that doesn't actually add/remove provinces from vanilla (so just prettier borders, better projection, larger map size etc.)?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Roadie posted:

Wow, the AI really is completely useless with transports unless it has ten million of them. I just had a war against France and my Florentine West Indies let its 45-stack sit idle while an 18-stack of French colony troops slowly sieged down everything but Cuba.

The AI really likes to beeline for your most undefended provinces. And if those happen to be on literally the other side of the planet, welp.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the AI sail around Africa just to grab a few provinces that weren't in a fort zoc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what's cool? There's a new event that can sometimes happen when you siege down a fort. It lets you choose between getting some army professionalism and inflicting 50 devastation on the province, getting nothing and inflcting 75 devastation, and losing professionalism and inflicting 100 devastation. There's no option that causes anything less than 50 devastation.

The really cool part is that this event can trigger on retaking your own provinces!

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what's cool? There's a new event that can sometimes happen when you siege down a fort. It lets you choose between getting some army professionalism and inflicting 50 devastation on the province, getting nothing and inflcting 75 devastation, and losing professionalism and inflicting 100 devastation. There's no option that causes anything less than 50 devastation.

The really cool part is that this event can trigger on retaking your own provinces!

Sorry peasants, but all im reading out of this is free professionalism

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

5% professionalism for 50 devastation (on top of the devastation from the siege) on a potentially high value province is probably the worst trade ever. Maybe if it was a 1/1/1 shithole, but the event is specifically coded to only occur in 15+ development provinces. It just happened to me in Halaib, which was a 22 development silk producing center of trade.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Eh, 50 devastation in a province with a fort goes away faster than it takes to build up 5 professionalism.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i thought it cost/gave a bunch of cash as well for +/- prof

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It usually devours your manpower.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Can anyone explain what I'm missing here?

I'm playing Austria and I've already revoked so all HRE members should be my vassals. I conquered some land from France, cored it, added it to the HRE and returned the province to Gascony.

I figured gascony would now be my vassal but for some reason they are independent and I can't even attack them since they are in the HRE. All the other countries I did this to ended up being vassals. Can anyone explain why this one isnt?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Drone Incognito posted:

Can anyone explain what I'm missing here?

I'm playing Austria and I've already revoked so all HRE members should be my vassals. I conquered some land from France, cored it, added it to the HRE and returned the province to Gascony.

I figured gascony would now be my vassal but for some reason they are independent and I can't even attack them since they are in the HRE. All the other countries I did this to ended up being vassals. Can anyone explain why this one isnt?

It only forces those who were in existence at the time you revoked the privilegia to become vassals. If you'd taken all their land and released them as a vassal they would've become like all the rest of your HRE vassals (i.e. not taking up a diplo relation slot). Regardless, you will still annex them when you finally hit the button to unite the HRE. And if you've revoked the privilegia, you're so strong that missing out on one vassal being auto-called to war really won't matter.

As an aside, this was the basis of an old exploit for quick world conquest: take the capital province of a big nation, core it, add it to the HRE, then return it. The AI could override the "you can't move your capital into or out of the HRE" rule if it was to return the capital to a preset, historical one, and so you could take one province and you'd end up being able to fully annex it by passing the final reform.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
IIRC it still works if you launch another war to take their new, non-hre Capital.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what patch messed up the reformation? i remember playing post rights of man, and you'd generally see england, scandinavia and north germany go protestant and scotland, netherlands and southwest germany go reformed, with a few wildcards and variation. now that i've picked it up again with cradle of civilisation, it seems basically germany and only germany go protestant and reformed may as well not exist, most of the time it seems to stop existing 5 years after it triggers.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yeah, I was looking at something before vacation I can't remember now that might have changed a bit on how reformations play out, something that was introduced in CoC.
After a lot of rest I can't remember what it was exactly. Either way I worked on it and asked betas for feedback to see if it plays out better over the Christmas.

e: Oh right think there was something making the AI waaay more likely to just force religion on anyone they don't want to demand land from. So France would help Austria keep the empire Catholic making it pretty impossible for it to get root.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

My last couple of games since cradle has released have had Reformed vanish within about a year of first appearing. Last game it appeared in Burgundy who immediately seemed to convert the province back, removing the center of reformation before anything really even happened. This seems to happen each time. It also seems like quite a few one province minors get their territory covered and just refuse to switch religions, just waiting the 30 years or whichever until they can convert it back. Everyone just seems to stay stubbornly catholic, especially if they have more than a few provinces.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In the release version of CoC where Centers of Reformation were unlimitedly respawning or whatever, reformed usually did great and I got multiple reformed Frances which was awesome. Since the latest patch it seems like they do usually get squeezed out. Not sure why.

Protestant usually does at least ok. In my abortive Rwanda run I saw a bizarre situation where Protestants won the league war but then almost died out and there were just like weakass Pomerania and East Frisia and Saxony trading the empire back and forth for decades while the vast majority of HRE states went Catholic under the influence of a massive Bohemia and Austria. Somehow they had also managed to pass three reforms before the time I got map vision of them. I kind of wanted to see if they were going to get stamped out and ruina imperii’d at some point but then France got terminally mad at me and it’s probably curtains for that run since every other great power hates my guts because they want the Cape back, basically the only thing I can do is go tributary to Ming for the last hundred years in hopes of being able to outmatch the loving French which is like, gently caress that. Honestly the whole run was quite weird, Aragon and Morocco divided Iberia between them and wiped out Castile and Portugal, leading to most of the new world being independent by 1650.

I found Rwanda to be kind of fun start but slow and punishing mid game. You will feel weak and poor until you get the Cape and Zanzibar locked down, and that takes a long time. The early game (unifying the Great Lakes minors) is cake and once you do that you are strong enough to take on anyone other African nation except Kilwa. Kilwa will rapidly become your arch nemesis, they’re bigger, richer, probably have just as many men, and get institutions faster. This last is a big problem, you have to seed everything from Feudalism to Printing Press in awful development cost penaltied territory, it takes forever and if you don’t do it rapidly you’ll someday find yourself four miltech behind Kilwa and they’ll march in and wreck your poo poo. (If this happens, stall the war for years and adopt a Fabian strategy until you can tech up to something less suicidal, the AI is too dumb to take advantage of your time wasting). Once they’re smashed though, you can take over a really sizable chunk of Africa, all the way up to Ethiopia if necessary. Probably get in on the East Indies if you hurry (I didn’t, figuring that all the trade money would be coming to the Cape anyway). But the real key which I flopped on is finding strong allies outside of Africa. Ming or Ottomans maybe — I couldn’t do the latter because they had colonized a bunch and wanted the Cape. The experience struck me as similar to new world native runs, few natural threats so you can get pretty big but even once you’re big you still feel like a glass cannon at best.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't want a tributary state, i want the two provinces it said i got but didn't. this is the worst peace deal ever

e: i got around it by transferring the capital occupation to someone else in the war. got the provinces + they were forced to break alliance with poland good good

oddium fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 1, 2018

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Is vassalising the electors the good strat for getting Spain is the Emperor? I was having a play around as Castile and got the inheritance so I figure I may as well go for it. I've vassalised Trier and forced Austria to release Tirol to cut them down to size, but I'm worried about the "Controls other elector" malus stacking.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, I think it may even be the only way? Could be wrong though

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Game's on sale right now on Steam and I've had my eye on it for awhile. Thinking of pulling the trigger. Read through the great OP and am starting to watch the linked video tutorials to get a better sense of the game but it seems pretty fun and interesting. I'm coming at this after reading a bunch of history of global trade and so basically, I want to try roleplaying as Venice and then other trade nations. Trying to work out which expansions are the ones to get for that.

Seems like:
* Common Sense & Art of War because they're both great.
* Rights of Man because it will be more fun to have more internal politics.
* Wealth of Nations and or Res Publica? I can't really tell which of these but it seems like I should get one or both?

All advice welcome.

I would pick Cossacks instead of rights of man. Not being able to ally a regional/world power and immediately use them as a wrecking ball really changes the game for the better. Also having your rivals be unable to do the same to you gives you a little breathing room to start out. As for estates, you can go full Arumba and micromanage the poo poo out of them, or just give them enough land so they won't complain and recruit the occasional minister/general when you need it.

Regarding Rights of Man: Great power stuff is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. That said having a queen to keep you out of a regency can really stop the random number generator from derailing your expansion plans.

This game is complicated, but once you understand it, it is far better than any other strategy game. I grew up playing Civ, but after EU3 and EU4 I can't go back. I would recommend starting as the Ottomans. They have the best early game units (in Europe), plenty of missions to kick your neighbors teeth in, and the best location for a mid to large sized nation to start. Christians to the West, Islam to the East, and Pagans to the South (once you devour the Mameluks). Pick a direction and start swinging. Once you risk a coalition with one religious group expand in another direction until the heat dies down.

Also, play ironman. The urge to savescum is huge, and a lto of the fun comes from dealing with disasters (of your own making or otherwise).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Also as the Ottomans you can do all sorts of weird fun poo poo. For example I just started a run where I flipped Coptic early on, going to repaint the religious map like a motherfucker.

Edit: Coptic Ottomans are a beast. It shouldn't take long to get all five blessings; then you have stupidly powerful missionaries, cheap coring cost, etc.

Groke fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 1, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

are there any other tags that start with no cores in 1444 besides sapmi

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

oddium posted:

are there any other tags that start with no cores in 1444 besides sapmi

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Countries#List_of_tags

There's a whole bunch of them.

Edit: 36, not counting the formable ones.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

Also as the Ottomans you can do all sorts of weird fun poo poo. For example I just started a run where I flipped Coptic early on, going to repaint the religious map like a motherfucker.

Edit: Coptic Ottomans are a beast. It shouldn't take long to get all five blessings; then you have stupidly powerful missionaries, cheap coring cost, etc.

I think by now I like Karaman ideas more than Ottomans, but you lose 50ish years or more at game start. That culture conversion bonus + religious + policy + adjacent culture conversion makes for funny culture maps.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is it intentional that the Ainu are the only people in East Asia who don't have Feudalism at the game start?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, the Ainu didn't have a feudal society.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, the Ainu didn't have a feudal society.

That plus Siberian Clan government making Institution Spread crawl made the opening of my current Ainu game a slow hell.

But now the tables have turned and the great island of Ainu Monsir has introduced the Renaissance to the Honshu barbarians.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Ainu were the indigenous people and were basically tribal hunter-gatherers, so that's why.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At least it's better than the Inca, who had a feudal society, but don't start with Feudalism and can't embrace it because ???

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

for eu5 i hope that they model the new world as full of sophisticated people in advanced societies and then a spaniard sneezes and everything goes to hell

monthly event spam: lost 1 dev and gained 5 unrest in <everywhere>

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

At least it's better than the Inca, who had a feudal society, but don't start with Feudalism and can't embrace it because ???

Not exactly feudal, they had an extensively developed bureaucratic state based on semi-hereditary government offices organizing corvee labor rather than being about fiefs and land ownership. But still, lol.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In a lot of ways, I think the Inca were sort of like if the bronze age palace economies had never collapsed, and just got more and more sophisticated and extensive.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

skasion posted:

Not exactly feudal, they had an extensively developed bureaucratic state based on semi-hereditary government offices organizing corvee labor rather than being about fiefs and land ownership. But still, lol.

Seems at least as advanced as feudalism when reduced to the eu4 'tech'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also as a primitive uncivilized savage you can research techs such as "Feudal Monarchy" and "Renaissance Thought" but they do nothing for those institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A bit of :spergin: goin on in this thread huh

I agree a couple of the institutions would benefit from different names though