Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey all, I got a Home and Home Mini for Xmas and now I'm wanting to get some smart lights and thermostat and whatever I've been missing. I could have sworn there was a Smart Home thread but I didn't see it in IYG or SHSC. Am I blind or is it somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have a Nexus 6p and Google search is letting me search but I cannot click on any result to open it. Any idea?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FAUXTON posted:

frozen wasteland

Took this tonight in my light jacket in Canada

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

caught a bit of brakelights in the lower right but shalom yall

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Took this tonight in my light jacket in Canada

I hope the polar vortex hurts on its way back up

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Humerus posted:

Hey all, I got a Home and Home Mini for Xmas and now I'm wanting to get some smart lights and thermostat and whatever I've been missing. I could have sworn there was a Smart Home thread but I didn't see it in IYG or SHSC. Am I blind or is it somewhere else?

Home Automation and Security

Looks like this is what you are looking for people talk about home security, and some smart things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happy new year from Vancouver with a Pixel 2 XL photo, this phone rules

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Home Automation and Security

Looks like this is what you are looking for people talk about home security, and some smart things.

I saw that topic but the op was about security so I figured that wasn't it. Thanks!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happy new year from Vancouver with a Pixel 2 XL photo, this phone rules

I want to move to Vancouver can I shack up with you tia

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

caught a bit of brakelights in the lower right but shalom yall

Jewish moon colony?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Taffer posted:

I want to move to Vancouver can I shack up with you tia

Be prepared to couch surf your whole life since this is not unusual (my dad's tiny old house that he bought for $25,000 in the 70s):

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spincube posted:

Jewish moon colony?

That was my first thought, and my second thought was it looks like it's giving me double middle fingers (or even triple). "Happy Moon Hanukkah mothafukkazz"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Be prepared to couch surf your whole life since this is not unusual (my dad's tiny old house that he bought for $25,000 in the 70s):

Totally off topic, but lol at that. Urban pricing is so hosed up in so many places.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Totally off topic, but lol at that. Urban pricing is so hosed up in so many places.

Vancouver is a special brand of hosed up https://globalnews.ca/news/3773541/vancouver-among-worlds-most-expensive-real-estate-market-survey/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I like that the building value went from 14k to half a mil in a year

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Why don't these fuckos make a charger plug brick that has a 3kmAh battery (and qi/powermat built in for shits and gigs)

Like you would be able to charge the internal battery via the outlet or wireless and you'd just have your cable plugged into it like normal to charge your phone.

Is there some kind of engineering roadblock with having to step down household current while protecting the other internals? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Why don't these fuckos make a charger plug brick that has a 3kmAh battery (and qi/powermat built in for shits and gigs)

Like you would be able to charge the internal battery via the outlet or wireless and you'd just have your cable plugged into it like normal to charge your phone.

Is there some kind of engineering roadblock with having to step down household current while protecting the other internals? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

Cost of including it with the phone. That, and I guess size, but mostly the cost.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

what the gently caress

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flipperwaldt posted:

what the gently caress

The kilomilliamp hour is a respected unit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Flipperwaldt posted:

what the gently caress

Three thousand thousandths of an amp hour!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

what the gently caress

Lol

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So instead of a charger brick in the wall and a cable hooked into your phone, you want that cable to plug into another charger with its own internal battery and then a cable from that to your phone? What purpose is this meant to serve? It sounds like basically just your average portable charger? Or am I missing something here?

3 kilometer Amp hours seems like a lot, I guess...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

How tf did the building increase in value 4000% in a year?!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Q_res posted:

So instead of a charger brick in the wall and a cable hooked into your phone, you want that cable to plug into another charger with its own internal battery and then a cable from that to your phone? What purpose is this meant to serve? It sounds like basically just your average portable charger? Or am I missing something here?

Generally, they pack the internal battery into the charger brick, like with this one.

http://a.co/gRpkhKP

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

feedmegin posted:

Chinese people

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Q_res posted:

The idea would be that then your charger which you have to carry around anyway is also a power brick available for you to get a charge on the go. I mean, I don't need that either but if I had to travel a lot and I used my phone a lot I guess I'd see the appeal.

You'd still have the problem of your charger's battery degrading over time and again, the size required for the battery to be both useful but also portable while still being small enough to not monopolize a receptacle. The idea falls apart more the longer you think about it, especially when you consider that all the constituent equipment is already available.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

feedmegin posted:

Could have been a run down shell of a house that they renovated.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Flipperwaldt posted:

what the gently caress

look

I'm in an airport and am not pleased about the cold, 3Ah.

Speaking of:

does fintrac need AML investigators with a decade of experience, most recently with the US west coast's version of exactly this poo poo

seriously anyone who says China's SAFE and their attempts to control FX outflows are in any way making a difference needs a kick in the teeth

Never trust anyone who claims to be a "manager of a factory" but is looking to buy a house to "start up operations in NA" with a $30k cash deposit into a personal checking account followed by several $50k wires from "family" who all live at the same hotel in a large city. They always cut a cashier's check to an escrow and then yank the rest of the money to a questionably-compliant outfit (in the US it's a place like East West Bank or CTBC)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 1, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Had to bring the exposure down a tick because the sorcery was trying to highlight the snow

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

FAUXTON posted:

You mean something like this (no Qi though)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...9HXL&ref=plSrch

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So realistically, how concerned should I be about older USB-A batteries and hooking a Pixel up to them via a good USB-A->C cord? All the reviews of equipment from Nathan and Benson are about USB-C stuff, but my wife has a few USB-A batteries that she was hoping to still use with her new Pixel 2 XL. Is that asking for trouble? If it is just a dumb, non fast charge battery is there a real risk of blowing up the new phone?

Thanks in advance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah that about realistically covers it, thanks!

I'd like it to have one of those USB slots a USB-C slot but I have the appropriate cable and the wireless charging was more of an add-on thing.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ROJO posted:

So realistically, how concerned should I be about older USB-A batteries and hooking a Pixel up to them via a good USB-A->C cord? All the reviews of equipment from Nathan and Benson are about USB-C stuff, but my wife has a few USB-A batteries that she was hoping to still use with her new Pixel 2 XL. Is that asking for trouble? If it is just a dumb, non fast charge battery is there a real risk of blowing up the new phone?

Thanks in advance.

If you get a good cord, that should be fine. It won't charge the phone rapidly though and Google removed support for Apple's 2.4A protocol on the 2 XL :argh:

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Pixel 2 Google Assistant doesn't work with Bluetooth right (still)? I was enrolled in the Beta and had no issues but reset back to non-Beta and it no longer works. Looked online and can't tell if it's supposed to have been fixed. My Google app is also updated and the Google Assistant settings are all on. Currently on Oreo 8.1 as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

Pixel 2 Google Assistant doesn't work with Bluetooth right (still)? I was enrolled in the Beta and had no issues but reset back to non-Beta and it no longer works. Looked online and can't tell if it's supposed to have been fixed. My Google app is also updated and the Google Assistant settings are all on. Currently on Oreo 8.1 as well.

Eh? I've used Google Assistant over Bluetooth since it came out on all pixels and s8/note 8.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Works fine with my Pixel2 and PixelBuds so it might be something with your setup.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anyone with a 2XL having the thing Soft Reboot randomly on them yet? Mine did that for a bit after about 2-3 days of use it would soft reboot almost constantly (every time you unlock it with the pin, it would crash shortly after) and a normal reboot fixes it, then recently its gotten worse but almost always seems to be when its on my WiFi at home. Not LTE like the thread online seems to have users thinking.

Super weird but hopefully a fix ended up in the latest January update. Anyone got that one yet as it appears to be out today.

Also I know this isn't the Smart Home thread, but if anyone wants any really cheap smartplugs to use with their Google Home or Amazon Echo's These ones are really good value

I ordered 4 for $~9 in November in a group buy and they finally arrived just before Christmas (Shipping was fast, but they ran out and had to wait until they got more in to ship). They work with the Smart Life app which is probably one of the least intrusive smart home apps I have seen while also being really easy to use, functional, and works perfectly with my Google Home/Mini. Today the group buy is $8 for them so I am tempted to pick up like 10 more of these things to make every lamp/lights/whatever the hell else all voice controlled.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got the rebate for activating my pixel 2 on tmobile. If, like me, you've been wondering if they forgot, there's hope!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, the wife is having to exchange her Pixel 2 XL due to the screen flashing white when you turn the screen on and off. Turning Ambient Display off and back on seems to fix the issue temporarily, but it persists between powering it off and on and sometimes turning Ambient Display off doesn't fix the problem. So, yeah, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I currently have a Nexus 5X. I really like it on a software level (no bloatware + stock android), but I've already traded it in once over a bootloop issue and now I'm starting to have hardware issues (non-selfie camera won't focus, battery dying quickly, and volume button "sticks"). I'm looking for a replacement.

Here are my "musts":
  • Reliability. This has been pretty frustrating with my Nexus 5X and I'd like something that will last maybe 4 years if possible.
  • Good camera, including a good selfie camera. I have a separate camera for vacations, etc, but for day-to-day life my phone is my primary picture-taking device and I love taking pictures of everything.

Nice bonuses:
  • Headphone jack (I really love my current headphones)
  • Water resistant. I don't want to worry about using it in the rain
  • Reasonably fast
  • Minimal bloatware
  • Stock android
  • Easily fits in my pocket

I don't really care about gaming or watching movies on my phone. My target price range is $500 or so, but that's negotiable. Any suggestions?