Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

cargo cult posted:

Libs itt want iran to devolve from a relatively stable middle income country with more women in universities than men into a libya-tier mad max debacle replete with open air slave markets. I guess it serves them right for having the temerity to occasionally defy american imperial prerogatives in the region

They actually haven't said what they want, because what they really want to do is show that they have the right values, which is more important than actually trying to understand what's going on. It's the exact same kind of moral certitude that made Madeline Albright say half a million dead Iraqi kids was worth it for the sanctions regime. The most important thing is to demonstrate our moral superiority by doing bad things for the right reasons, like how economic sanctions are actually good because the ends of minor violent protests in Iran justify the means of widespread human suffering over a 38 year grudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
big fan of the extremely woke monarchists itt who think that the pahlavis enjoy a lot of support in a country where the mean age is 27

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/elizrael/status/947861324326952960

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
its exquisitely frightening how many outright lies about this are traveling around and that we have a potus more than happy to act on all of them

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah the amount of flat out lies and propaganda coming from this whole thing is really embarrassing and doesn’t help the protestors at all, there’s twitter ads, there’s misrepresentation and people are actively sharing videos of ARAB PROTESTS completely unrelated to Iran, the hype machine it’s so blatant it’s insane, like I’m all for Iranian protests but come the gently caress on don’t undermine them with the constant horseshit, when the Arab countries rebelled there was enough photos and videos of seas of people marching that it would be impossible for the regime to hide, but here we are six days into this and most of the protests aren’t anywhere near the levels of either the 1999 student revolt let alone 2009. It’s really dumb.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jan 1, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

I like how the lib's can't deny supporting an invasion of Iran.e...
https://twitter.com/AmirAminiMD/status/947761262074695680
:lol: @ neocon propaganda.

That video getting nearly 20k retweets and likes by MAGA morons because some brainless Texan with a check mark said it was Iran made me physically angry this morning so thanks

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are you saying this is a manufactured protest by the Iranian government to let off some steam, then resume business as usual? Or that small protests are being blown out of proportion because Western states want Iran to fall?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

were those the protest where they brought out the guillotine because that was lit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

also 100% cheeto beninto just killed 100's of people by coming out hard for this

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They actually haven't said what they want, because what they really want to do is show that they have the right values, which is more important than actually trying to understand what's going on. It's the exact same kind of moral certitude that made Madeline Albright say half a million dead Iraqi kids was worth it for the sanctions regime. The most important thing is to demonstrate our moral superiority by doing bad things for the right reasons, like how economic sanctions are actually good because the ends of minor violent protests in Iran justify the means of widespread human suffering over a 38 year grudge.
ayup

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

big fan of the extremely woke monarchists itt who think that the pahlavis enjoy a lot of support in a country where the mean age is 27
also, lol. i forgot how young iran is. its infuriating and heartbreaking how many people shamelessly agitate for invading and demolishing a genuinely vibrant country with so much history because its lucrative to be a warmongering ksa/israel mouth piece

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

12 dead now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

brainless Texan
redundant

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

redundant

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

best probation reason ever :clint:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

You see, if the government of a country is bad, then every single one of the protestors must necessarily be good #theresistance

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Jan 1, 2018

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

love too conflate monarchist sympathizers with the desires of 80 million iranians

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo iran has way more people than i thought

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
iran is a more populous country than most people realize

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Patrick Cockburn is a respected journalist and has always been leftist/anti-imperialist, and he believes the protests are (at least presently) largely about prices and youth unemployment. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...p-a8137051.html

I think it's safe to say that these protests have a multiplicity of motivations and that regime sympathizers would have reason to point out their more right-wing elements. I'm sure that Saudi/Israeli/U.S. elements are trying to influence the situation as much as possible.

This article makes clear that these protests started with workers' grievances and strikes in Isfahan https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/29/iranian-police-disperse-anti-government-protests

As usual with these events, I think it's reasonable to express solidarity with striking workers while being opposed to every element that tries to capitalize on discontent to fuel regime change. It's possible that the Iran's right-wing has found itself (or will eventually find itself) at the front and center of the protest movement, which would be really loving unfortunate

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

in summary, iran's protests are a land of contrasts

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

also 100% cheeto beninto just killed 100's of people by coming out hard for this

he would have kept his mouth shut if he wanted it to become anything but he just wants any excuse at all to explode some browns

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
is the media calling this the new years revolution yet

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

holy poo poo iran has way more people than i thought

More people than Iraq and Saudi Arabia combined.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yossarian-22 posted:

Patrick Cockburn is a respected journalist and has always been leftist/anti-imperialist, and he believes the protests are (at least presently) largely about prices and youth unemployment. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...p-a8137051.html

I think it's safe to say that these protests have a multiplicity of motivations and that regime sympathizers would have reason to point out their more right-wing elements. I'm sure that Saudi/Israeli/U.S. elements are trying to influence the situation as much as possible.

This article makes clear that these protests started with workers' grievances and strikes in Isfahan https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/29/iranian-police-disperse-anti-government-protests

As usual with these events, I think it's reasonable to express solidarity with striking workers while being opposed to every element that tries to capitalize on discontent to fuel regime change. It's possible that the Iran's right-wing has found itself (or will eventually find itself) at the front and center of the protest movement, which would be really loving unfortunate

:yeah:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yossarian-22 posted:

yep

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Tudeh party put out a statement. Idk much about them now but their analysis is probably better than any posting here.

http://www.tudehpartyiran.org/en/ne...ctionary-forces

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Tudeh party put out a statement. Idk much about them now but their analysis is probably better than any posting here.

http://www.tudehpartyiran.org/en/ne...ctionary-forces

this url owns

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i'm goin' tudeh party

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Aliquid posted:

this url owns

statement-of-the-central-committee-of-the-tudeh-party-of-iran-the-struggle-of-the-people-of-iran-frustrated-with-oppression-tyranny-high-prices-and-despotism-against-the-dictatorship-is-real-and-should-not-be-allowed-to-be-snatched-away-and-misappropriated-in-the-interests-of-domestic-or-foreign-reactionary-forces

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

protestors killed a cop

quote:

DUBAI (Reuters) - A protester shot and killed a policeman during demonstrations in Iran, police said on Monday, the first reported fatality among security forces struggling to contain unrest challenging the clerical leadership.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yossarian-22 posted:

yeah let's not get so crazy that these protest fueled by economic inequality and exploitation morph into an actual revolution. why yes i'm an American communist, haven't you seen my memes on twitter??

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
will you retards shut the gently caress up about your hateboner for neocons on twitter and start posting about what's actually going on in Iran, an actual country, somewhere.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

protestors killed a cop

whelp the state is justified in violently murdering all the protestors now :shrug:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you, the principled anti-imperialist leftist: the regime in Iran is too strong and popular to be overthrown. merely a dozen of astroturfed troublemakers. have you guys never heard of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
Tudeh, Iranian leftists, from Iran: Once again, we call upon all the national, progressive and freedom-loving forces of the nation to put aside their theoretical-historic disagreements and mobilise together, alongside the people’s movement to effectively help the struggle – the goal of which is to reject the tyranny and to establish the rule of the people and freedom, peace, sovereignty and social justice.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

wow the iran thread is a dumb proxy war for the main players of the syria thread, and all sides suck. weird

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
anyway here's a good telegram channel with lots of videos. telegram is the main messaging app in Iran and that channel has something like 1.2 mil. subscribers atm (increased like a +400k from yesterday).

https://t.me/sedaiemardom

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Friendship posted:

there is no possible chance that anyone could have legitimate grievances against a fascist government that traps its people in an oppressive police state and wastes billions of dollars to slaughter brown people instead of caring for its own domestic population (lol, iran continues to be incredibly similar to the US)

a legitimately good outcome might be the American people bearing witness to possibility in a state so similar to their own and finally stahahahahapleasekillusall

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fspades posted:

anyway here's a good telegram channel with lots of videos. telegram is the main messaging app in Iran and that channel has something like 1.2 mil. subscribers atm (increased like a +400k from yesterday).

https://t.me/sedaiemardom

i click view channel and nothing happens, no wonder they cant overthrow poo poo

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i click view channel and nothing happens, no wonder they cant overthrow poo poo

you may need to download telegram (desktop or mobile version) first

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fspades posted:

you, the principled anti-imperialist leftist: the regime in Iran is too strong and popular to be overthrown. merely a dozen of astroturfed troublemakers. have you guys never heard of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
Tudeh, Iranian leftists, from Iran: Once again, we call upon all the national, progressive and freedom-loving forces of the nation to put aside their theoretical-historic disagreements and mobilise together, alongside the people’s movement to effectively help the struggle – the goal of which is to reject the tyranny and to establish the rule of the people and freedom, peace, sovereignty and social justice.
they sound like *narrowing eyes disciplinedly* Left SRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fspades posted:

yeah let's not get so crazy that these protest fueled by economic inequality and exploitation morph into an actual revolution. why yes i'm an American communist, haven't you seen my memes on twitter??

noted communist anti-imperialist rogue reza shah pahlavi

like dude i clearly do want that to happen. we should just be wary of potential bad outcomes

• Locked thread