Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There is a new Green Revolution
https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg/status/946792550853210112

It is organic and grassroots. The United States looks on with hopeful but passive enthusiasm
:peanut:https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946949708915924994:sadpeanut::911:

you all laughed at me when i said this would happen. Soon hezbollah will be recalled to the homeland to shoot at peaceful protesters

Welcome to the de facto Syrian Civil War Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if the number of people on the street is < 1 million then they'll lose and nothing will change

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

if the number of people on the street is < 1 million then they'll lose and nothing will change

what if they are provided with sophisticated western propaganda systems and if that fails, guns?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

how about 10000 advisors

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

didn’t this same thing happen 8 years ago and nothing came of it except for the couple dozen dead people?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer10 posted:

what if they are provided with sophisticated western propaganda systems and if that fails, guns?
doesn't matter, iran is a closed system that bans media it doesn't like, and it has actual border controls

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

doesn't matter, iran is a closed system that bans media it doesn't like, and it has actual border controls

so did mubarak

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the dynamic is nothing like egypt, the us has close relationships to the egyptian military and the coup could happen without much changing

iran is on its own, everyone knows it, the military + revolutionary guard + executive are all in the same boat and will never rock it

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/946959812956372993

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the george soros bit really makes it

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

gonna take me a month to unpack that shiy

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

hmm, I think this is a troll

*game show music plays with neon lights shining the words “good job dumbass”*

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Good news!!

...for Jeb!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

you all laughed at me when i said this would happen. Soon hezbollah will be recalled to the homeland to shoot at peaceful protesters

hesbollah's homeland is lebanon, moron

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reignonyourparade posted:

hesbollah's homeland is lebanon, moron

Then why are they shia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

didn’t this same thing happen 8 years ago and nothing came of it except for the couple dozen dead people?

8 years ago there were a few hundred thousand demonstrators and not a few hundred.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lmao america is getting even worse at astro turfing this bulshit

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

paul_soccer10 posted:

Then why are they shia

lol you're really dumb

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

8 years ago there were a few hundred thousand demonstrators and not a few hundred.

so wait why’s this news if it’s only getting a couple hundred people. I get why it got coverage a decade ago since people died and poo poo, but a couple hundred people protesting is uh not news.

outside of the obvious

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

so wait why’s this news if it’s only getting a couple hundred people. I get why it got coverage a decade ago since people died and poo poo, but a couple hundred people protesting is uh not news.

outside of the obvious

anything that makes iran look bad is news

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

outside of the obvious

The demonstrations are happening in multiple cities, which is noteworthy, but in Tehran there were only about 50 demonstrators. Some places report a few hundred, others report a few thousand. Reports on crowd sizes are typically high-balled, so there just isn't any kind of mass movement there to hoot about. The fact they're happening at all though is an excuse to wag the finger at Iran and make vague warnings.

Given their latest round of hits, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be astroturfed by the Saudis.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Whenever I see that protests are being held against "corruption" I assume that there's some weird right-wing element involved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The demonstrations are happening in multiple cities, which is noteworthy, but in Tehran there were only about 50 demonstrators. Some places report a few hundred, others report a few thousand. Reports on crowd sizes are typically high-balled, so there just isn't any kind of mass movement there to hoot about. The fact they're happening at all though is an excuse to wag the finger at Iran and make vague warnings.

Given their latest round of hits, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be astroturfed by the Saudis.

so basically the Iranian government is poo poo, but not poo poo enough to topple. which is basically the same thing as a decade ago. maybe if we weren’t threatening war on them they would try and do something substantial about their government :thunk:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

so basically the Iranian government is poo poo, but not poo poo enough to topple. which is basically the same thing as a decade ago. maybe if we weren’t threatening war on them they would try and do something substantial about their government :thunk:

rouhani is somewhat of a progressive and miles better than ahmadinejad. one could even argue that he came to power with the help of the green revolution's momentum

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Yossarian-22 posted:

rouhani is somewhat of a progressive and miles better than ahmadinejad. one could even argue that he came to power with the help of the green revolution's momentum

from what I’ve read of rouhani, he’s been moving closer to the ayatollahs over the years. he’s still likely a progressive in Iranian terms, but it seems even the left in Iran is rallying around the flag due to the possibility of war.

correct me if I’m wrong, which I’d be happy to be.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

Then why are they shia

Khomeini did not formulate Shia islam out of the aether in 1979

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

She owns

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

reignonyourparade posted:

Khomeini did not formulate Shia islam out of the aether in 1979

according to my video game, it was around at least as early as the 769 expansion pack start date

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
can’t wait to form all sorts of opinions about all this based off of posts itt

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

can’t wait to form all sorts of opinions about all this based off of posts itt

Iran is good

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

from what I’ve read of rouhani, he’s been moving closer to the ayatollahs over the years. he’s still likely a progressive in Iranian terms, but it seems even the left in Iran is rallying around the flag due to the possibility of war.

correct me if I’m wrong, which I’d be happy to be.

he's definitely less of a hardliner and more inclined to engage with what are enemy countries in theory, but trump has made that harder. idk if a conservative would have signed on to the nuclear deal

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I love the BBC headline "Iranian protests: World is watching response, US warns" considering, you know, the united states

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
on my understanding of iranian society, there's a generational divide, with a large youth demographic that's interested in friendlier relations with the west, is much more progressive than the old guard etc. but they've yet to occupy the halls of power. im basing this off of an article i read about the country going through a sexual revolution, which featured teens having an orgy in an empty swimming pool.

is this at all accurate? lol

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

soros!!! :argh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MaxxBot posted:

Good news!!
...for Jeb!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Finicums Wake posted:

on my understanding of iranian society, there's a generational divide, with a large youth demographic that's interested in friendlier relations with the west, is much more progressive than the old guard etc. but they've yet to occupy the halls of power. im basing this off of an article i read about the country going through a sexual revolution, which featured teens having an orgy in an empty swimming pool.

is this at all accurate? lol

Yeah Iran is a freaky deaky country where hot middle eastern girls are just begging for a westerner to show them the ropes!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Yeah Iran is a freaky deaky country where hot middle eastern girls are just begging for a westerner to show them the ropes!

Every single non-western country is just a sex dungeon waiting for a white face to guide the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Peanut President posted:

:ocelot:

• Locked thread