Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Gatts posted:

Ah like a Wes Welker....okay. Let's hope we can keep Gordon and Coleman recovers.

When are we going to do the Goon Mock Draft? I'd love to pick for the Browns again unless someone else wants to this year.

It won't be until after the combine. Sometime in that early-March to mid-April window before the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lamar Jackson is better than Darnold in every QB skill besides playing for usc which means you get to be mediocre and be projected to be the number 1 pick because you get to throw inaccurate throws to juju

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lamar Jackson dragged a poo poo-rear end Louisville team to 8 wins which is honestly more impressive than anything Darnold did

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wilson’s passing stats at NC State are very similar to Jackson’s at Louisville.

He was one of the best passers in the country his senior season and still went in the 3rd round. I'm not saying Jackson will suck but I'm not taking him at 6 or higher than that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

He was one of the best passers in the country his senior season and still went in the 3rd round. I'm not saying Jackson will suck but I'm not taking him at 6 or higher than that.

Wilson would have gone Top 5 if he was like 6'2.

His entire negative scouting report was his size. No one doubted his arm strength or ability to read defenses.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wilson would have gone Top 5 if he was like 6'2.

His entire negative scouting report was his size. No one doubted his arm strength or ability to read defenses.

This is 100% correct. It was, "can he even see over his own o-line?"

A problem Seattle solved by simply not providing him with an o-line.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

He had one good year playing for a program with an excellent running game that didn’t ask him to throw too much.

When he was in a comparable situation to Jackson he was a similar passer and worse runner. Jackson also isn’t a dwarf, which was the main issue Wilson had. If Wilson had been 6’2” he’d had gone in the first.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If we're ignoring size, give me Baker.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Coldforge posted:

It won't be until after the combine.

Right, thanks.

Maybe the Browns should trade down #1 or #4 and get another bunch of 1sts for the next couple years. Let's say do Saquan Barkley at #4 and like still in the top 10 draft Lamar Jackson. If one is more certain that Darnold and Allen and Rosen have more buzz, we could scoop up the QB a bit later and still nab Barkley or Fitzpatrick.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gatts posted:

When are we going to do the Goon Mock Draft? I'd love to pick for the Browns again unless someone else wants to this year.

I've been running it the last few years, and I usually start it about a month before the actual draft. Gives time for the combine and most pro days as well as the first and second waves of FA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lamar is a beanpole which might actually be worse than being a dwarf

He needs to bulk up

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raiders forums are already screaming about that ILB from Georgia, why should I tell them they're dumb?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Lamar Jackson is better than Darnold in every QB skill besides playing for usc which means you get to be mediocre and be projected to be the number 1 pick because you get to throw inaccurate throws to juju

Eh Jackson has his own faults in the passing game right now. He makes some questionable throws because of his arm strength and his accuracy isn't world beating. He's still the better prospect just because there hasn't been a running QB with his skill and his willingness to stay inside the pocket yet in my opinion. There's pocket QBs that can run it but none that have the sheer open field skill that Lamar has. If he came out as a RB/WR this year he'd still go first round just based on his open field prowess alone. Darnold just isn't a total slouch and certainly isn't anywhere near on the levels of the Hack. We all know the bonehead Darnold but the real good Darnold looks and feels like a total package QB. Those touch passes he was throwing in last years bowl game to JuJu and Burnett were legit.

He almost reminds me of Eli, probably might have the same career arc of being an interception king while always sticking around, too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

AB is a generational talent who does everything. I wasn't slighting AB by stating the Browns need a possession receiver.

I just want a world to exist where Gordon and Brown are on the same offense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kittenmittons posted:

Barkley was a more complete football player. As a rusher, Elliott had a much better ypc average than Barkley and was a better blocker.

Isn't Barkley basically Kamara but utilized properly in college?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Eh Jackson has his own faults in the passing game right now. He makes some questionable throws because of his arm strength and his accuracy isn't world beating. He's still the better prospect just because there hasn't been a running QB with his skill and his willingness to stay inside the pocket yet in my opinion. There's pocket QBs that can run it but none that have the sheer open field skill that Lamar has. If he came out as a RB/WR this year he'd still go first round just based on his open field prowess alone. Darnold just isn't a total slouch and certainly isn't anywhere near on the levels of the Hack. We all know the bonehead Darnold but the real good Darnold looks and feels like a total package QB. Those touch passes he was throwing in last years bowl game to JuJu and Burnett were legit.

He almost reminds me of Eli, probably might have the same career arc of being an interception king while always sticking around, too.

jackson does have faults in his passing game but those are still better than darnold who is poo poo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

Raiders forums are already screaming about that ILB from Georgia, why should I tell them they're dumb?

They're not, Smith is electric and just had a fantastic championship game against Auburn. Absolutely incredible first step and hits like a cruise missile.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Blitz7x posted:

Roquon Smith? He's good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Metapod posted:

jackson does have faults in his passing game but those are still better than darnold who is poo poo

This post will not age well.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Komet posted:

Elliott also had a vastly superior OL over the course of his career. So you can't really compare basic stats like YPC.

And Barkley had a vastly superior OC these last two years than Elliott had in 2015. Point being, saying Barkley was so much better than Elliott in college it isn't even funny is dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

He's still the better prospect just because there hasn't been a running QB with his skill and his willingness to stay inside the pocket yet in my opinion. There's pocket QBs that can run it but none that have the sheer open field skill that Lamar has.

I'm tempted to argue there haven't been many (any?) running quarterbacks with the open field skill Lamar has. I think he's better than Vick was coming out, after that I'm down to thinking of like old option quarterbacks when big schools ran that system or something.

Lamar Jackson would have a chance to be one of the better punt returners in the league next year in a world where that would ever happen.

Like any quarterback if I'm betting I'll bet he fails, just because the odds will be so far in my favor. But goddamn if he hits, Jesus Christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mcmagic posted:

This post will not age well.

It will age fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

It will age fine.

No one is going to care about Darnold's few bad picks by the time he has his pro day and goes to the combine let alone when he's drafted or starting for and NFL team in September.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

No one is going to care about Darnold's few bad picks by the time he has his pro day and goes to the combine let alone when he's drafted or starting for and NFL team in September.

He didn’t say he wouldn’t get drafted high. He said he would suck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I hope all the teams picking in front of the Jets share his opinion.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 1, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mcmagic posted:

But then people will care when he starts throwing those bad picks after that.

No one actually cares about when he is drafted, it doesn't matter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I hope all the team picking in front of the Jets share his opinion.

The jets are about due to spend another first round pick on an overrated USC QB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kirios posted:

And somehow the Deshaun Watson trade is still a steal. Thanks Browns!

Still way too early to tell lil fella

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The jets are about due to spend another first round pick on an overrated USC QB.

I'll take my chances with Darnold.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
USC has an amazing, storied tradition of great NFL quarterbacks, such as Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Cody Kessler. Can't wait for Sam Darnold to join their hallowed ranks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

USC has an amazing, storied tradition of great NFL quarterbacks, such as Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Cody Kessler. Can't wait for Sam Darnold to join their hallowed ranks.

I still think its great when people list past prospects from a school like it's a correlation.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i agree. now let's talk about USC receivers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Doltos posted:

I still think its great when people list past prospects from a school like it's a correlation.

It’s literally a correlation, just not necessarily a causation. But prospects from certain high profile programs do tend to get more attention and interest in part because of visibility and in part because they’re often surrounded by really talented players who make them look better.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doltos posted:

gently caress all Wisconsin RBs

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

corn on the cop posted:

i agree. now let's talk about USC receivers

Lynn Swann and Juju are good, to me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s literally a correlation, just not necessarily a causation. But prospects from certain high profile programs do tend to get more attention and interest in part because of visibility and in part because they’re often surrounded by really talented players who make them look better.

Yeah causation. But still the only possible connection you can have is that X coach teaches Y players how to play, but by the time you get to the collegiate level players are already pretty unique in their athletic skillsets.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

a neat cape posted:

gently caress all Wisconsin RBs

Even worse when they do well they do awful things like win the Patriots the Super Bowl.

Taylor is legit though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Lynn Swann and Juju are good, to me

So is Robert Woods and even Nelson Agohlar looked like NFL player this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah but that info isn't really useful for anything.

More a fun fact than anything.

• Locked thread