Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Pound_Coin posted:

melee weapons can chain 3 attacks, not just 2. Hit, throw, TP back to pocket, throw again.
.... thanks for this :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For Nier: Automata, you can change difficulty on the fly. You'll want to stay on Normal difficulty for the prologue (which ends with a scene of you staring into space out of a window) as dying anywhere in the prologue requires you to start it over, but bump it up as soon as you feel comfortable or otherwise all fights will melt too fast to have any dramatic tension in the slightest. I left it on Normal for wayyy too long in retrospect.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have a free week and I'm going to learn Factorio. Is it better to watch some tutorials beforehand or should I learn by making a mess of things?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personal preference. Would you want to take a course in chemistry and have the theory explained or would you like to head straight to the lab and mix unlabled beakers together?

If you go youtube I suggest Nilaus for accessable sperg, A_Raving_Loon for a working spaghetti laid back approach, and Katherine of Sky for some of her plug and play blue prints. The differences between 0.15 and 0.16 are largely cosmetic. Videos for 0.14 has different recipes, so theory and game mechanics are still sound, but you may or may not be able to rip the blueprints too well.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

I have a free week and I'm going to learn Factorio. Is it better to watch some tutorials beforehand or should I learn by making a mess of things?

I'm a complete idiot and had no issue just jumping into Factorio blind. You can get away without learning the logic switching and whatnot for until you need it (if ever).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Any advice for Star Traders: Frontiers? It seems somewhat dense and complex so far, and light on the tutorials or in-game explanations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fat Samurai posted:

There's a "campaign" included with the game that acts as a pretty decent tutorial. I'd play that and then jump into a random map.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any advice for Star Traders: Frontiers? It seems somewhat dense and complex so far, and light on the tutorials or in-game explanations.

The campaign escelates into being unforgiving. There is no shame in dropping that dude and his bullshit at any point in the process. If you let his daughter onto the ship you will have to win a spacefite. The smuggler trait did npt help me hide her.

Edit: Also gently caress that daughter. She totally did it. No, I will not try a 5th time to complete the chains that disprove it. Least not until aunties questline gets finished.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 2, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Received Destiny 2 as a gift this Christmas. It's been forever since I've played an FPS and never played Destiny 1, so any general or newbie advice would be appreciated.

I've watched a couple YouTube videos that summarized the lore/story so I kind of have a handle on that, but if there's any other reading I should seek out let me know.

Are character races any different or is it all just aesthetic?

Is playing the game solo a viable option or is it all co-op? Is there a goon clan that's still active?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Regarding Destiny 2 There's a bunch of solo stuff, and the stuff you can do with pick up groups is all simple enough to do with pick up groups. Races don't matter. If you make three people, probably better to have one of each class that all of one, as weekly limited stuff can't be done on the same class twice ((IIRC)). Otherwise just play, don't buy lootboxes, try to have fun. If after a while something confuses you, look it up then.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 2, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I kinda forgot it exists for a while but any tips for Killing Floor 2 before I get back into it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Senjuro posted:

It's a nanomachine in chapter 2. When you get to this area:

Talk to this guy:

Although it sounds like you've already passed this point.

Ya I definitely missed that but I think I got the right ending? Anyway Binary Domain is hella fun. Seems like one of those games that got average reviews like Yakuza or Dragons Dogma but it is absolutely fun. On hard it took me around 13hours but on normal it should be 7-8 hours so it is a memorable fun game you can finish in one day.

I am moving on to some newer games after playing mostly older games on my backlog. I started Persona 5 and have completed the first few days + tutorial. I have never played any of the SMT games or Persona spin offs. I have experience with JRPG games though mostly DQ and FF series. I started it on hard, I read the beforeiplay wiki, it mostly talked about the teenager life aspect and not the gameplay/battle aspect. Is the teenager life stuff really that important in these games?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It is; your social links have a mountain of gameplay effects atached to them, but the most important one is that they provide an exp bonus when you fuse a demon of their associated arcana.

For specific battle tips, the single most important thing to know is that modern smt games use the press-turn system, where attacking an elemental weakness has significant tactical benefits (for both you AND enemies). In P5, hitting a weakness knocks the target down and gives the attacker a free turn. These can be chained together. Additionally, there are bonus actions that can be taken when all enemies are knocked down.

Don't worry too much; the tutorial does a decent job explaining press turn and other important concepts. The ones it's a little lighter on are: instead of working rarely, instant death abilities will hit something like 1/3 of the time by default. 2/3 if the target is weak to it. Debuffs and status effects are very powerful, and can completely change a fight. Panic in particular is enormously powerful. Try it on bosses and special fights in particular.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ulio posted:

I am moving on to some newer games after playing mostly older games on my backlog. I started Persona 5 and have completed the first few days + tutorial. I have never played any of the SMT games or Persona spin offs. I have experience with JRPG games though mostly DQ and FF series. I started it on hard, I read the beforeiplay wiki, it mostly talked about the teenager life aspect and not the gameplay/battle aspect. Is the teenager life stuff really that important in these games?
Absolutely, it gives you all sorts of advantages in battle and also powers up your Personas greatly when you initially fuse them. Leveling up Personas through battle exp is really loving slow, so the fusion exp boost can give you access to skills it would otherwise take hours to unlock.

I would also recommend against playing on Hard because P5's Hard is difficult in the "we're just gonna throw bullshit bigger numbers at you" way instead of the "we're going to make battles more tactically interesting" way. I normally play RPGs on the highest difficulty but I had to switch back to Normal when I got a new character, started the "let's check out the new character" tutorial fight, and the game one-shot him.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Persona 5

A mixture of yes, and it's the bit that is the least fixable if you mess it up which is mostly relevant if you don't want to NG+ to see the true ending. And it has a lot of effect on your options in battling and in improving your stats in battle. Though in 5 at least, if you sort out Fortune relatively early (I forget when they are available at all, but does involve having a big pile of money for one step) you can blow a bunch of money to help skip spending time on Confidant levels. And there's a few ways to make it rain. Though tutorial stuff goes on for a long long time I will warn you.

Basically you just need to choose your own balance between finding your own way and looking stuff up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fat Samurai posted:

You only get to go into Factorio blind once, have fun.

Once you get to oil chemistry, you might want to pop into the Factorio thread if you get completely stumped on how to proceed, but you should be fine.

Maybe turn the biter settings down a notch or two.

It'll be fun for us to see your goofy newbie layouts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I would also recommend against playing on Hard because P5's Hard is difficult in the "we're just gonna throw bullshit bigger numbers at you" way instead of the "we're going to make battles more tactically interesting" way.
Echoing this, especially. Also gives you more freedom to hang with the characters you actually like instead of the Mechanically Optimal Choice (TM).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hobo Clown posted:

Received Destiny 2 as a gift this Christmas. It's been forever since I've played an FPS and never played Destiny 1, so any general or newbie advice would be appreciated.

I've watched a couple YouTube videos that summarized the lore/story so I kind of have a handle on that, but if there's any other reading I should seek out let me know.

Are character races any different or is it all just aesthetic?

Is playing the game solo a viable option or is it all co-op? Is there a goon clan that's still active?

of course co-op is better, but solo is totally fine and a bunch of parts have to be done solo; others are needed if you want to play the strike or raid missions or if you want to get clan bonuses

also you really really shouldn't be playing this if you want story

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

PMush Perfect posted:

I kinda forgot it exists for a while but any tips for Killing Floor 2 before I get back into it?
Normal is pretty boring, you should play on hard asap. The classes don't really open up till like lvl10.

any class that has automatic weapons should clear all the little trash stuff as often as you can. if you're a berserker, support , sharpshooter or gunslinger you should focus on bigger stuff.
You should heal your teammates often, hopefully they heal you too.

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward, get headshots, try to conserve ammo. Supports can give you ammo if you push E on them.

Support is pretty easy to start with, their hipshot is forgiving, and the first tiers of weapons are really good even into the last stages. Try to line up zeds so your shotty penetration kills more than one and saves ammo. Boomstick secondary fire takes a huge poo poo on most zeds. Give a few stacks of extra dosh to demos or someone that looks like they know what they're doing regarding the bigger zeds.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 3, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nothing I didn't know, but good to remember.

How about The Sexy Brutale? Mostly concerned about missable collectibles, but general tips would be cool too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PMush Perfect posted:

How about The Sexy Brutale? Mostly concerned about missable collectibles, but general tips would be cool too.

There is ultimately nothing missable, although it is a while before you can get back to some areas.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Few things for Enter the Gungeon:

- Get into the habit of double tapping fire when you use single shot weapons. It'll start the reload immediately after you fire, giving you bit of a boost in fire rate.

- Secret rooms have the highest chance of being next to a treasure room, and the next highest is next to the shop. So always check those places first.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 3, 2018

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Okay, Bloodborne wiki could use a couple more tips:

-Don't stress about picking your starting weapons, you can buy the other choices soon after starting the game.
-You can't level up until you encounter your first boss. You only have to initiate the boss fight, so you can go back to the hunter's dream and level up to help you beat them.
-Until then, learn how to effectively deal with the crowds. In general, bring crowds to narrow passageways, and use weapons with longer reach.
-When locked on to an enemy, you will lose the ability to roll sideways and backwards. Instead you will quickly sidestep attacks, which is good for staying close to enemies in order to attack and regain health. You can still roll if you are not locked on, but it's more commonly used to run away.
-Unlike other Souls games, if you don't have the inventory space to pick up an item, it will automatically be sent to your storage box. There will be an additional icon displayed when items are sent directly to storage.
-Most importantly, there is no weight system and no difference in roll speed. Bloodborne has done away with stamina regeneration rate issues, so it's all Fashionborne all the time.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Nothing I didn't know, but good to remember.

If you want to see what happens before you intervene, it can be worth spending a few minutes just spying on the appropriate area before fiddling with things. I have faint memories of poking things with my puzzle instincts and being confused at how it helped.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some of the collectables can only be obtained post-mortem too.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

PRL412 posted:

Okay, Bloodborne wiki could use a couple more tips:

-You can't level up until you encounter your first boss. You only have to initiate the boss fight, so you can go back to the hunter's dream and level up to help you beat them.
More precisely, you need a point of Insight to level up. While meeting the first boss is a common way, you can also find a Madman's Knowledge item in the sewers that can grant you a point. So you don't necessarily need to kill the two werewolves on the bridge first.

There is a shortcut (gap in the fence you can drop down) right after the big bonfire, behind a bunch of breakable stuff to your left.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

pigdog posted:

More precisely, you need a point of Insight to level up. While meeting the first boss is a common way, you can also find a Madman's Knowledge item in the sewers that can grant you a point. So you don't necessarily need to kill the two werewolves on the bridge first.

There is a shortcut (gap in the fence you can drop down) right after the big bonfire, behind a bunch of breakable stuff to your left.

I'd also say you never have to fight those at all regardless. If an enemy seems too tough and dangerous and isn't a boss, consider not fighting them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But hubris... I beat the 3rd stage to ninja gaiden, I'm not gonna let this boar keep me from getting through the stage.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

pigdog posted:

Yeah, I just figured most people wouldn't use that item to increase their Insight unless they already knew about it. So we should also add:

-Read up on the new Insight system, as it differs from Humanity in the souls series. In short: you don't lose it when you die, it can be stolen by certain enemies, and carrying 15 or more increases the game difficulty.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anything for Trails of Cold Steel 2? Just finished the first one and going to dive straight into the second game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm starting Dark Souls: Scholar of Etc. for the first time, which, incidentally, is also the first time I'll have played any Dark Souls game. Help would be very appreciated.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

I'm starting Dark Souls: Scholar of Etc. for the first time, which, incidentally, is also the first time I'll have played any Dark Souls game. Help would be very appreciated.

Get ready for a deluge of tips.

I assume this is Dark Souls 2. Here's some very basic stuff:

-Don't just depend on your shield, rolling gives you i-frames, and rolling through attacks towards enemies/bosses can set you up for a few swings.
-Heavy armor that gives you Poise will allow you to take more of a beating before your attacks are interrupted.
-Equipment Load has thresholds at 0%, 25%, 50%, and 70%. This will effect your roll speed and stamina bar recovery as you become more encumbered.
-Maces are all around solid, but honestly play with a weapon you find enjoyable.
-Don't stress losing your souls. It's a common part of the game.
-Boss souls are used for both weapons and spells. Don't just use them for souls/currency.
-Use the generic 'soul of a' as currency for when you're shopping/leveling.
-There's items to respec your character stats.
-Upgrading your weapons is very important.
-Be sure to use your healing items and not just the flask during fights.
-Don't always use the lock-on when you're fighting multiple enemies or if you're having trouble with a boss.
-Bows can kill/draw out single enemies.
-Read item descriptions on key items since this can be helpful at times. Lore is found on gear as well.

There's a ton more, just be sure to ask.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The biggest thing being that Scholar is basically a remix of DS 2 to make it harder for the most part, so enjoy that!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mordja posted:

Did you check the wiki?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

-Equipment Load has thresholds at 0%, 25%, 50%, and 70%. This will effect your roll speed and stamina bar recovery as you become more encumbered.

This is not so true in Dark Souls 2, it's more of a sliding scale, but the thresholds are good rules of thumb.

To dual-wield properly you need 1.5x the required strength and dex of each weapon. The swordsmaster does not start with such stats. Try to two-hand your left hand weapon and if you enter a stance instead, that's dual wielding. (Power Stance is the in game term).

Part of me wants to suggest starting with Dark Souls 1 instead. But I don't have a clear argument for it (other than it being over all better, but not in every single facet).

EDIT : Doh, the wiki page already covers the first two points at least.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 6, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you start with scholar of the first sin be aware youre basically starting your experience in the franchise with what is basically a Kaizo rom hack of the worst regarded game in the series. There are several annoying (and pointless) things in that version that will make you question why anyone liked this franchise only to find out they were difficulty changes added for that version.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That's pretty dramatic, both DS2 and the SotFS version are very well-regarded overall. I didn't like every change they made in Scholar but "basically a Kaizo rom hack" is really out there as far as exaggerations go.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Overall it isn't that much more difficult than vanilla, but the starting areas (Forest of Fallen Giants and Heide's Tower/No-Man's Wharf) were all made way harder for basically no reason at all, especially since 2 already has the unfriendliest beginning hours of the series.

Another very important tip: level up your Adaptability to 20. This will in turn increase your Agility to around 100, making your rolling i-frames longer and speeding up some of your animations. Some people can get on fine without it, but I feel like I'm wading in molasses until I do it. It might be a more glaring issue if you had played another Souls game first, I don't know.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Barudak posted:

what is basically a Kaizo rom hack of the worst regarded game in the series.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Single most important Dark Souls tip: if you realize you're on tilt, go do something else for a while. It's really hard to bruteforce difficult fights, what you need is a cool head.