Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today's login reward is a giant sword for Kruber if you haven't gotten one yet. Come get it and turn Kruber into the harvester of heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can you play this solo yet if you don't care about grabbing books?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Inzombiac posted:

Can you play this solo yet if you don't care about grabbing books?

On normal and easy totally. On hard you have to start playing baby sitter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waaaaaait a second.

I just bought a bunch of the DLC and now I see a sequel is coming out this quarter?
poo poo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

How's the population on this game, lately?

As much as I liked this in the first few months, not getting any decent drops even with a full set of dice really soured me.

It's still chugging along okay and it sounds like loot is a lot better these days (I didn't play on release, but everything i hear from folk who did makes it sound absolutely miserable) as long as you can reliably do Nightmare with randos. The sequel coming soon has a surprising number of people playing lately.

Don't do easy/normal even with bots. Its a waste of time. Hard until you get good (hint: avoiding damage is 100% the most important thing in this game), then NM to chillax, and Cata if you see the Matrix but instead of green ascii scrolls its just rats and rats forever.

Inzombiac posted:

Waaaaaait a second.

I just bought a bunch of the DLC and now I see a sequel is coming out this quarter?
poo poo.

Yeah you got owned a little bit, but not too bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Grondoth posted:

At this point, the Old World belongs to its fans and games workshop can't hurt us anymore, there's even a 4th edition of WFRP in the works.

Here's some good news, if you didn't already know it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean it's still a good game and a bunch of people play it, you didn't throw your money into the void.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Steam refunded the DLC. Good on them.

Is anyone going to make a thread for the sequel?
I know nothing about it yet.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sazabi posted:

On normal and easy totally. On hard you have to start playing baby sitter.

The pretty popular Quality-of-Life mod, or other variants, have an AI upgrade for the bots that makes them competent enough to go through Nightmare difficulty without much trouble, and good enough for Cataclysm if you're a good player yourself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is The Dungeon supposed to be the hardest mission on the game because I inevitably die at the torch holdout or the run to the surface. No trouble on any other mission. I’m cursed. :negative:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Carrying a grimoire halves health? Why do they not surface that anywhere. :negative:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I picked this up on the sale. Played one quick game but died near the end of the map. I'm down for playing with some goons especially if they've got the patience to show me the ropes and hold my hand a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bogart posted:

Is The Dungeon supposed to be the hardest mission on the game because I inevitably die at the torch holdout or the run to the surface. No trouble on any other mission. I’m cursed. :negative:

Not sure whether it's supposed to be or not, but yeah it is 100% the hardest mission in the game and I recommend skipping its grimoires, especially since getting the second one is a huge pain and having both is suicide for anything less than a good group.

Inzombiac posted:

Steam refunded the DLC. Good on them.

Is anyone going to make a thread for the sequel?
I know nothing about it yet.

the format of the game itself is the same. It has chaos enemies in addition to rats and every character is back but with 3 "careers" aka subclasses, allegedly they will be more like classes with skills unlike vermintide 1 where characters are basically just weapon pools

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bogart posted:

white rat is the one that's a massive pain on nightmare up for me, but then again, i haven't played the dlc extensively yet

Bogart posted:

Carrying a grimoire halves health? Why do they not surface that anywhere. :negative:

git gud, carry 2

fyi there's trinkets that reduce the amount of health you lose when carrying them

hey noobs: the first thing you need to do is play through all the main levels at least once (ubersreik) so you can unlock quests and contracts. it's fine to go through them all on normal if needed (normal is easy, easy is stupid easy) but get that done asap because it's the quickest way to get decent gear as well as shards for gamblin' and also ranald can go suck a dick and you shouldn't rely on drops ever

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do tomes have a health malus too? That might explain why I'm not making it out of the Dungeon. The first tome/grim set is the only one I've committed to memory from running it so much. :negative:

also is the vermintide 1 crew in 2? if i dont get victor i'll die. i'll just die

e: i cant read but the point still stands

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, the only disadvantage of tomes is taking up the slot to hold them

duckfarts posted:

hey noobs: the first thing you need to do is play through all the main levels at least once (ubersreik) so you can unlock quests and contracts. it's fine to go through them all on normal if needed (normal is easy, easy is stupid easy) but get that done asap because it's the quickest way to get decent gear as well as shards for gamblin' and also ranald can go suck a dick and you shouldn't rely on drops ever

this was changed. It's now unlocked at some low level, like 7. You should still play every level though so that you aren't experiencing white rat for the first time when your group is playing nightmare.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tomes don't carry any malus, but they do take up your healing potion/medkit slot. You can freely swap them for health items though and you won't lose them. You can heal up and pick the tome back up. Grimoires take a third of your health each. There are trinkets that help mitigate this. Additionally, if someone tosses their grimoire away, the missing health is immediately refunded, but it's gone for good.

Bogart posted:

if i dont get victor i'll die. i'll just die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr-RAVozAM
:wink:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how 2 dungeons: Hold out in the corner next to the exit gate with one torch nearby. Put the other torch on the corner opposite from the gate. this is where roger always spawns. Use a strength potion and hagbane and/or volley crossbow to kill him before he does anything (use a frag bomb after the strength potion to keep him still if needed). This is important because this roger always has a huge wave of slave rats that come in ~10 seconds after he spawns, which is a huge dick move considering the darkness and the openness of the area. If you do this the rest of the holdout is easy.

In the final run don't drop down until you've safely killed the first wave up top. Then move together making sure to kill both the front and back, and do not keep running forward if someone is fighting in the back. Help them kill. it's not L4D where you can ignore most of the action if you run fast, unless you have a shared speed potion. If rats are next to someone then consider it mandatory to kill them

e: speaking of shared speed potions, they are goddamn incredible for events like the end of dungeons or enemy below as they let you flat-out skip multiple waves of fighting that could otherwise set a loss in motion. They're so useful as to make it worth the trouble to save a speed potion just for the event if someone has the orange potion share trinket.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 3, 2018

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Digirat posted:

e: speaking of shared speed potions, they are goddamn incredible for events like the end of dungeons or enemy below as they let you flat-out skip multiple waves of fighting that could otherwise set a loss in motion. They're so useful as to make it worth the trouble to save a speed potion just for the event if someone has the orange potion share trinket.

you wanna know something magical?

using potion share and 25% chance to not consume a potion to get a quad speed boost, causing a buddy to run straight off a pier

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only trinket I've got is a 4% chance to not consume an item when picking it up. :negative:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Good! This gives you an excuse to be That Guy and grab everything first! You're being helpful!

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Bogart posted:

The only trinket I've got is a 4% chance to not consume an item when picking it up. :negative:
The must-have trinket is the one that heals your team whenever you heal. It's a necessity on the higher difficulties imo.

The other two slots are situational depending on mission but potion share is always a good choice, luck or item dupe if you have a coordinated team and can designate someone as the "open chest" guy, the anti-grim trinket is always great, bonesaw/anti glob are decent for your last slot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The must-have trinket is the one that heals your team whenever you heal. It's a necessity on the higher difficulties imo.

The other two slots are situational depending on mission but potion share is always a good choice, luck or item dupe if you have a coordinated team and can designate someone as the "open chest" guy, the anti-grim trinket is always great, bonesaw/anti glob are decent for your last slot.

Shalya's dove or whatever, the one that heals you 80% when you bandage another person is my single favorite trinket. Turns every set of bandages into a two-fer

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The must have trinket is the no friendly fire on bomb trinket. Hard to think of one with a bigger advantage than one that lets you get out of a team wipe.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fans posted:

The must have trinket is the no friendly fire on bomb trinket. Hard to think of one with a bigger advantage than one that lets you get out of a team wipe.

What makes it even better is that it comes with an increased bomb blast radius.

:getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the group i played with always had way more trouble with the portals and cliffs map than dungeons

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the portals map isn't so bad until the last one, where you're guaranteed to have a rat ogre and a stormvermin patrol hit you simultaneously

even lune and me had trouble pulling that trick off a lot of times

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The second portal can ruin you faster than the third if you don't shut down roger because he can punch people off cliffs (in fact there's a lot fewer directions to get punched and land safely than there are to get punched off a cliff)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
At least the second portal has an ammo box. Roger doesn't show up until a fair way through the third portal and if you don't know the map it's easy to assume you don't need to worry about a second roger and spend too much ammo before he arrives.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cowcaster posted:

the group i played with always had way more trouble with the portals and cliffs map than dungeons

The generators on nightmare+ can lose so much progress if you even let one drat rat cool it off, and pubbies love to just camp the gate instead of help keep an eye on them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Roger on the second gate stops being a problem once you get the timing down on bombing him while he's trying to cross the gap, he falls and breaks his rear end every time I play that map now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Yardbomb posted:

Roger on the second gate stops being a problem once you get the timing down on bombing him while he's trying to cross the gap, he falls and breaks his rear end every time I play that map now.

Yeah, but it's the third gate that's the killer, as you end up doing it again with no kit if you gently caress it up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So there's no point to using a Potion of Strength if I'm going to unload on Roger with the brace of pistols, but there is if I'm going to throw a bomb? :psyduck: Fat Shark knows the important part of a bomb is not that it's a projectile, but that it explodes, right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

strength potions affect both ranged weapons and bombs, where did you hear otherwise

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Shalya's dove or whatever, the one that heals you 80% when you bandage another person is my single favorite trinket. Turns every set of bandages into a two-fer

It's usually great but when you have 2 allies on white health the wizard's charm is nicer

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

strength potions affect both ranged weapons and bombs, where did you hear otherwise

https://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Potion_of_Strength

The Presumably Fatuous Wiki posted:

The Potion of Strength increases the damage of melee weapons, bows AND bombs for a short time (approx 10 seconds). The damage increased seems to be around x3 for the duration (tested on chains with HP bar)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

bad

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the wiki is the product of people and is thus wrong and bad

str pot demonstrably makes you shoot bullets harder

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Persistent Hamprince posted:

the wiki is the product of people and is thus wrong and bad

str pot demonstrably makes you shoot bullets harder

Given what little I know of Warhammer, this makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Another important factoid the wiki fails to mention is that it makes all your attacks ignore armor.
which can be somewhat useful.

• Locked thread