Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

The odds aren’t on the browns winning the super bowl. It’s on them going 16-0 which is incredibly hard for even good teams. 250 to 1 for the patriots to have a perfect season are reasonable odds. For the browns it should be 100,000 to 1

If each game was decided by the opening coin flip, the odds of the Browns going 16-0 would be 65,536 to 1.

The odds of the Browns winning a football game is generally significantly smaller than 50%, so yeah, at least 100,000 to 1, and probably much much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering the modern NFL is a meat grinder of rookie QBs thrown into unwinnable situations and destroyed within two seasons by expecting to be wizards to save broken franchises... nah

hold out

refuse the Browns

Then the Browns are going to be awful forever.

If you don't have the tenacity and grit to play for the Browns then you're a busta

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GyroNinja posted:

The odds of the Browns winning a football game is generally significantly smaller than 50%

Well looking at the last 2 years it's roughly 3%.

If you're generous and assume they have even 40% odds on average to win a game it puts the odds of 16-0 at like 2.3 million to 1.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 1, 2018

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it's not the statistical likelihood of it happening, it's "how much are prepared to lose if the unthinkable and absurb happens". Leicester winning the Premier League lost all UK bookies £25million all in, and it was the single biggest payout on the result of any sporting event in the UK iirc. No way any bookmaker worth their salt is going to expose themselves to the risk of potentially losing £100,000 per £1 staked even for the most unlikely, nay impossible, scenario. And if they did, they would reduce the maximum stake to something ridiculous like 10p or something

Right, which is why anyone betting on it with a UK bookie giving those odds is inestimably stupid because you'd get a better pay out in Las Vegas on the Browns winning the Super Bowl let alone going 16-0.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Cleveland took two teams to overtime, had another 4 games decided by less than one score and lost by more than 17 points, and didn't concede more than 38 points. The 2008 Lions had five games within a score (4 if you think the 8 point loss to Washington is a score), were blown out by more than 17 points seven times and conceded 38 points or more 5 times. I think the Lions were worse all round

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Cleveland took two teams to overtime, had another 4 games decided by less than one score and lost by more than 17 points, and didn't concede more than 38 points. The 2008 Lions had five games within a score (4 if you think the 8 point loss to Washington is a score), were blown out by more than 17 points seven times and conceded 38 points or more 5 times. I think the Lions were worse all round

I think the Lions would have won at least 1 game if they hadn't forced Jon Kitna to IR. The Browns when you take into account how poo poo they were last year I think they are worse. Especially when you consider how bad the AFC is this year.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions were worse, but the Browns should be more ashamed of themselves.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay. So....hear me out since I don't know how this works or what I'm doing. Browns have $118 million in cap space. I don't know if that means per year or a total so one contract could eat this up. BUT this is what I'm thinking.

Drew Brees is a UFA in 2018, sign him. Throw the money at him for a 3 year deal, the dude is 38 years old. Take your #4 pick and drop down a couple but stay in the top 10. Draft Lamar Jackson as your QB to sit for 3 years behind him and learn. Between Hue and Brees, Lamar will come along. This way you also secured another 1st rounder in 2019 and more picks and still get #1 Saquon Barkley, and #2 Lamar Jackson filling your needs.

Let's say that's $25 million a year for Brees. We have like $95 million in cap space. Even if it was $75 million eaten up for his contract, we would still have $43 in cap space. Your QB of the future poo poo is secure and you have a great RB to add to the threat. The remainder should be spent on keeping Josh Gordon at WR for like a 5 year 8 million per year deal or something. I assume between the two you eat up your cap space unless it works differently cause I don't know. He's gonna want more sure.

For your second round draft, pick something like an Orlando Brown, RT. Some big dude who can open up running lanes for Barkley and a WR to help. This secures your offense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Why would Brees do that

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gatts posted:

Okay. So....hear me out since I don't know how this works or what I'm doing.

Checks out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

a neat cape posted:

Why would Brees do that

Because...poo poo.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

In a ludicrous fantasy you might as well go for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
:( I would have thought 25 million at 38 multi year deal would be cool but guess not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gatts posted:

:( I would have thought 25 million at 38 multi year deal would be cool but guess not.

Brees is currently on a team that fell into a defense that might get him a second Super Bowl. He ain't leaving.

Besides, all the money doesn't mean poo poo if you get killed in the process of earning it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gatts posted:

I think the Saints would give Brees whatever he wants and he'll choose stability with the coaching staff and playing in a dome

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Lions were worse, but the Browns should be more ashamed of themselves.

a quick browse of that roster and it's Cliff Avril, Calvin Johnson, Jon Kitna and a whole lot of what could be generously described as "training camp bodies" given meaningful snaps

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

this is loving amazing :allears:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Have the Browns gotten so bad that nobody wants to coach there? Are they keeping Hue because they reached out and didn't find any interest in the job? There are always problems with taking over a bad team but it's all so much worse with Cleveland. Did Hue create job security by disproving the idea that anybody can come in a win a couple games?

Finger Prince posted:

See also: noted cowardly bitch Bo Jackson.

Noted bitch John Elway completes the trifecta and reminds us that it's good to play baseball.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yaws posted:

Then the Browns are going to be awful forever.

Congrats on finally coming to the conclusion everyone else on earth came up with long, long ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Have the Browns gotten so bad that nobody wants to coach there? Are they keeping Hue because they reached out and didn't find any interest in the job? There are always problems with taking over a bad team but it's all so much worse with Cleveland. Did Hue create job security by disproving the idea that anybody can come in a win a couple games?

Noted bitch John Elway completes the trifecta and reminds us that it's good to play baseball.

The owner is going to sabotage things constantly. Even if you’re Bill Belicheck and are basically a coach/gm evil genius the owner will gently caress it all up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

The owner is going to sabotage things constantly. Even if you’re Bill Belicheck and are basically a coach/gm evil genius the owner will gently caress it all up.

This is true. Haslam is one of those with a head up his rear end about things and it comes off his vibe where only what goes on in his head and decision making is correct plus from his scheme with the Flying J it shows he doesn't give a poo poo.

Peyton Manning supposedly was some name being thrown about with some interest for something or other for Cleveland. I have no idea but if that came in it'd be another one with his own vision reporting to Haslam and getting nowhere.

There have been so many GMs and management staffs through different owners that it's toxic and needs to change.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The owner loving things up is common enough and lots of candidates would deal with it for an opportunity and a pay day. But now enduring a winless season is a realistic fear and someday the FBI might come knocking, asking if you witnessed certain activity.

Hue Jackson, coach for life.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Hassan probably just doesn’t want to piss away 3 years of HC salary just to pick the next poor slob who will despair in Cleveland.

If Dorsey can turn around the roster he still has more than enough time to get rid of Hue Jackson. It’s not like they are extending his contract.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

pasaluki posted:

I think the Lions would have won at least 1 game if they hadn't forced Jon Kitna to IR. The Browns when you take into account how poo poo they were last year I think they are worse. Especially when you consider how bad the AFC is this year.

The Lions gave up 34 points to the Bears, 38 points to the Jags & Bucs, 42 to the Saints, 47 to the Titans and 48 to the Packers... at home. Not even this years Browns were that awful

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The owner loving things up is common enough and lots of candidates would deal with it for an opportunity and a pay day. But now enduring a winless season is a realistic fear and someday the FBI might come knocking, asking if you witnessed certain activity.

Hue Jackson, coach for life.

Browns ownership gently caress ups are in a league of their own though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm sad Josh Gordon came back for this team and this coach

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GaussianCopula posted:

If Dorsey can turn around the roster he still has more than enough time to get rid of Hue Jackson. It’s not like they are extending his contract.

That's the thing Dorsey doesn't have the power to effect the needed change. He's just 1 of 4 people reporting to Haslam. Jimmy calls the shots and I'm convinced he never stopped making the picks. Everyone is just an advisor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Browns should sign Kaepernick.

1: NFL owners would pressure Haslam as this would help kill the collusion lawsuit.
2: Throws the challenge back to Kaepernick. “Oh you want to play QB? How about for the worst team in the league? Still really want to play?”
3: Distraction away from Hue Jackson’s terrible coaching, which is bulletproof anyway due to Haslam’s recent vote of confidence.
4: Distraction from Haslam’s own investigation.
5: Kaepernick would probably be had for league minimum, so you can still draft a QB early on & let them learn from a vet.
6: You went 0-16. What else is there to do?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eh. Whatever at this point. It's the Browns. Would allow us to get Barkley and Fitzpatrick in the 1st round if we got Kaep so whatever I guess.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Maybe Hue will die of hypothermia when he jumps in the river?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He will emerge stronger than ever like Ra’s Al Ghul’s Lazarus pit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hue isn't even the problem. It's Haslam and his structure. I think if anything the conditions have broken Hue too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Maybe Hue will die of hypothermia when he jumps in the river?

Hue will win. Lake Erie has a poor record vs. Cleveland.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lol if you think a lake is going defeat the king of 0-16

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
The Browns should not draft Saquon Barkley.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
drafting a penn state rb in the first round would be very browns tho

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
With just about any other team, the prospect of picking up Rosen & Barkley with a competent o-line and filling in a bunch of gaps with your absurd number of picks would be real cool and good.

Instead, the Browns have Jimmy and his crazy-rear end organizational structure and a 1-31 coach who's telling his new GM 'lol nope' when it comes to input on how to fix things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the record, Brees plays for a team that has done an excellent job for his career keeping him one of the lowest sacked QBs in the league. Even just focusing on money, the Browns cant promise an aging player they arent going to learn to differentiate football fields by taste which is a very serious concern even if chasing a payday.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Why would Brees do that

to be fair, i remember it being considered pretty insane when he signed with the Saints. they were the 2nd worst team in the league after the Katrina year and he chose them over the Dolphins who were a trendy Super Bowl pick for the following season (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isnt Brees already making almost $25mil a year as it is?

• Locked thread