Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The thing that always made me laugh is requests that literally start with the phrase "Respectfully request to..."
Somewhere, it's written that requests should be respectful in tone, i.e., not something like "I want to take some goddamn leave, you fuckers better approve this!", but instead "I would like to take time off from 9AM on July 3rd to 4PM on July 6th."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

poopkitty posted:

One time Sarkazm and I put "Has a really cute wife, for a dweeb" under a technician's strengths on a midterm. He did, and I still have no idea how he duped her into marriage. We were seriously hurting for strengths.

One of my buddies spelled out L E G E N D in the first letters of the bullets in an (AF) officer performance report for one of his subordinates. It wasn't noticed.

Edit: The reveal at the next callsign night was fun though. The commander just facepalmed the whole time.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing that always made me laugh is requests that literally start with the phrase "Respectfully request to..."
Somewhere, it's written that requests should be respectful in tone, i.e., not something like "I want to take some goddamn leave, you fuckers better approve this!", but instead "I would like to take time off from 9AM on July 3rd to 4PM on July 6th."

You always start off politely. You can tell someone to go gently caress themselves at any point, it's just hard to elevate afterwards. It's also harder to say no to a reasonable and polite request even if there is no desire to do so.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

lightpole posted:

You always start off politely. You can tell someone to go gently caress themselves at any point, it's just hard to elevate afterwards. It's also harder to say no to a reasonable and polite request even if there is no desire to do so.

Sure, but the point is, a respectful request is interpreted as "Start the request with the words 'Respectfully request to...'"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sure, but the point is, a respectful request is interpreted as "Start the request with the words 'Respectfully request to...'"

That's what is taught at boot camp, people are following the basic instructions the fleet passed down to RTC

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would probably choose a less rigid version of that over "may/will xxxx please..." as that sounds like a little kid asking for permission or begging someone to do something.

Bunch of 18 year old kids with no imagination use it to avoid stepping on toes and then never break the habit.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 1, 2018

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I spoke with an active E-6 the other day about a Chief who’s prolly going to Court Martial; I mentioned he’ll most likely get busted down and booted out(medical as his foot was pulverized). The E-6 trumped out that “it takes an act of Congress “ thing about busting chiefs... I told him he should google that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

maffew buildings posted:

That's what is taught at boot camp, people are following the basic instructions the fleet passed down to RTC

On the same subject, this might be out of date, but when I learned to lace my dress shoes, it was right over left. When I actually looked at the pictures in the regulations, they were straight laced. Is there any actual rule on how to lace dress shoes, or any shoes in general?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dingleberry posted:

I spoke with an active E-6 the other day about a Chief who’s prolly going to Court Martial; I mentioned he’ll most likely get busted down and booted out(medical as his foot was pulverized). The E-6 trumped out that “it takes an act of Congress “ thing about busting chiefs... I told him he should google that.

Yeah I am pretty sure this is the same across the board for Marines and Navy. It's the first 0-6 in their chain of command that has court martial authority.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Chiefs love the image that they are untouchable.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure this is the same across the board for Marines and Navy. It's the first 0-6 in their chain of command that has court martial authority.

Most O6s are amateur politicians. Just like our current Congress.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's the same across all services as it's part of the UCMJ and MCM.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
At its heart, eval doublespeak is supposed to be a way you can tell a board the person isn't ready for promotion while not crushing their souls. Of course it's just fart-huffing now.

The best block I've ever seen was an ASCII art of the command mascot holding a severed head with "MY #1/23 JOs PROMOTE IMMEDIATELY" at the bottom.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Red Crown posted:

At its heart, eval doublespeak is supposed to be a way you can tell a board the person isn't ready for promotion while not crushing their souls. Of course it's just fart-huffing now.

The best block I've ever seen was an ASCII art of the command mascot holding a severed head with "MY #1/23 JOs PROMOTE IMMEDIATELY" at the bottom.

I would need to see this to believe it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Red Crown posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I have no idea what the equivalent of a EP on a officer's fitrep is but if that dude didn't get one, the Navy has failed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

I have no idea what the equivalent of a EP on a officer's fitrep is but if that dude didn't get one, the Navy has failed.

It is also EP.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'm a CCC and super looking forward to my first real working day tomorrow after the Navy released 1000 new sweeping personnel policy NAVADMINS over the holidays. :suicide:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
What?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fattys cant leave...

Nobody getting out early...

Was there others?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

OBLISERV changes, extensions to match assignment, SRB update, oh and it's BRS opt-in time too.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

OBLISERV changes, extensions to match assignment, SRB update, oh and it's BRS opt-in time too.

I just handed my third PCS passenger reservation request change to our transfer guys.

Hopefully they don't hate me

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

orange juche posted:

I would need to see this to believe it.

There are a surprising amount of awesome (but not at all secret) things in buildings where no cameras are allowed, this unfortunately was one of them.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Red Crown posted:

There are a surprising amount of awesome (but not at all secret) things in buildings where no cameras are allowed, this unfortunately was one of them.

The art on the walls of reactor rooms is pretty awesome.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Oceana/Dam Neck snow daaaaaayyyyyy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good ol dam neck. Have fun!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
6-10" of snow in the Hampton Roads area is gonna be pretty paralyzing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So.... traffic will be slightly worse than normal?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... traffic will be slightly worse than normal?

For once all the MOLON LABE-emblazoned tiny-dick trucks with their six foot ground clearances will be useful!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For once all the MOLON LABE-emblazoned tiny-dick trucks with their six foot ground clearances will be useful!

They'll be upside down in a ditch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They'll be upside down in a ditch

I fail to see how that makes my statement any less true or optimistic.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What’s a good excuse to use during a blizzard to get out of duty?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk do you have any family

I remember there was a fire an hour away or so and they let people who might be affected go home

Then you had mother fuckers an hour in the opposite direction “uhm I need to get home to, uh, my family and uhm. Can I go home from work already?”

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a wife. :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I always wondered if a whole command of just navy goons would be the most efficient or the most dysfunctional in existence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

I always wondered if a whole command of just navy goons would be the most efficient or the most dysfunctional in existence.

Well, we have SWOs, pilots, nukes, deck types, ITs, intel, terps, seabee, ETs, and STGs off the top of my head. I think we might struggle to staff an engine room, but i'm pretty sure the rest is pretty well represented.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, we have SWOs, pilots, nukes, deck types, ITs, intel, terps, seabee, ETs, and STGs off the top of my head. I think we might struggle to staff an engine room, but i'm pretty sure the rest is pretty well represented.

I think we could stand up a PHIBRON or DESRON staff

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh yeah we have jags, too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

lightpole and two fingers are marine engineers and should be pressed into service, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

TF and I can 2 man the engine room np.