Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Whenever poo poo's going down, I like to check out Facebook Live. Not today!

Saudi's totally dark too, but I dunno if that's a coincidence. Maybe everyone there goes to bed at 10pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
yer slackin off Kyrgyzstan

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

Saudi's totally dark too, but I dunno if that's a coincidence. Maybe everyone there goes to bed at 10pm.
p surprising that there is nobody facebook live'ing in all of Greece

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah even someone in Almaty, Kazakhstan was streaming. It was a Portuguese baking show, some sort of cake muffins.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yossarian-22 posted:

noted communist anti-imperialist rogue reza shah pahlavi

like dude i clearly do want that to happen. we should just be wary of potential bad outcomes

god forbid if any spontaneous social protest doesn't emerge from Lenin's forehead with perfect understanding of historical materialism and correct positions on every event that happened from 1917 onwards.

any movement of this scale is a coalition of a wide-array of forces, some progressive, some reactionary. ignoring the very legitimate grievances of Iranian people for fear of imperialist powers taking advantage of the situation is defeatist and cowardly. read tudeh's statement. regardless of what you think of them it's pretty even-handed.

quote:

The support of these forces i.e. the regional reaction, Trump administration, and the right-wing government of Netanyahu, for the Iranian monarchists and those political groups whose agenda is to cooperate with the most reactionary regimes of the region and to persuade the European states to impose sanctions on Iran’s economy - thereby exacerbating the misery for the destitute and disadvantaged people of our country - and to encourage foreign states to interfere militarily in Iran, leaves no room whatsoever for any optimism regarding the future designs of such “opposition”. The progressive and freedom-loving forces of Iran must increase their presence in the protest movement of the masses - more than ever before - providing proper people-oriented slogans, offering sensible guidance and relying on the legitimate demands of the masses for abolishing the existing suppressive regime and ending the economic deprivation, oppression, injustice and plundering of the natural and human resources of the nation, while avoiding reactionary and divisive slogans.

not that it matters. we're on a dying comedy forum.

fspades has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Jan 2, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Friendship posted:

whelp the state is justified in violently murdering all the protestors now :shrug:

Your opinion on Shia protestors in Saudi Arabia.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Office Pig posted:

a legitimately good outcome might be the American people bearing witness to possibility in a state so similar to their own and finally stahahahahapleasekillusall

lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Aliquid posted:

isn't facebook completely banned in iran

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
facebook should be banned worldwide

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
facebook is the internet, ergo death to the internet

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fspades posted:

god forbid if any spontaneous social protest doesn't emerge from Lenin's forehead with perfect understanding of historical materialism and correct positions on every event that happened from 1917 onwards.

any movement of this scale is a coalition of a wide-array of forces, some progressive, some reactionary. ignoring the very legitimate grievances of Iranian people for fear of imperialist powers taking advantage of the situation is defeatist and cowardly. read tudeh's statement. regardless of what you think of them it's pretty even-handed.

not that it matters. we're on a dying comedy forum.

I literally posted about those legitimate grievances

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Minge Binge posted:

facebook should be banned worldwide

Also it'ss interesting how none of the guys supporting American war on Iran are not showing support for the people of Hunduras.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
america should invade everywhere simultaneously if you ask me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Also it'ss interesting how none of the guys supporting American war on Iran are not showing support for the people of Hunduras.

They should form the USCA again Bing bong so simple

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fspades posted:

you, the principled anti-imperialist leftist: the regime in Iran is too strong and popular to be overthrown. merely a dozen of astroturfed troublemakers. have you guys never heard of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
Tudeh, Iranian leftists, from Iran: Once again, we call upon all the national, progressive and freedom-loving forces of the nation to put aside their theoretical-historic disagreements and mobilise together, alongside the people’s movement to effectively help the struggle – the goal of which is to reject the tyranny and to establish the rule of the people and freedom, peace, sovereignty and social justice.

gently caress off dork

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

gently caress off dork

dsyp

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
politico: iran's Telegram revolution -_-

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well that seals it, telegram is owned by a russian, so ayatollahs......welcome to the #resistance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

seems a bit much to describe this as a movement when they have no organization or even consistent demands or an agenda.

the reformist elements of Iranian politics won’t even declare support because they know these protests are doomed.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

you can tell that the protesters are revisionists because they don't understand that reactionary theocracies are extremely cool, from a left-wing perspective

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

you can tell that the protesters are revisionists because they don't understand that reactionary theocracies are extremely cool, from a left-wing perspective

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

*commie ned flanders’ bones begin to rattle intensely*

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/947958838455668736

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/RedRattler_/status/947976182154194944

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/947983916836716544

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

christ you are stupid

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

how long did it take for the 2009 protests to heat up? this being post escalator things are obviously going to move at a quicker pace...supposedly a general strike is planned tomorrow so we'll see how that plays out

2018 is going to be loving wild if the writers decided that the cold open should start with a persian spring just as the last embers of the arab spring fade

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there was an immediate massive turnout after the election results in 2009. it’s not even clear if these demonstrations are growing in size. they’re popping up in more cities, but the reports don’t indicate any kind of mass mobilization after a week of demonstrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
MENA expert and washington-fopo-establishment critic derek davison wrote a thing, that I found useful but im an uninformed idiot

https://attwiw.com/2018/01/01/iran-all-night-and-day/

basic gist is that these protests seem to be legitimate and caused by rouhani's austerity measures, as well as irgc corruption, and makes what i think is the valid point that being anti-empire or anti-intervention doesn't excuse having a huge blind spot for how bad countries on the war party's shitlist really are sometimes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aliquid posted:

The GCC is much more active on Snapchat's equivalent feature, facebook in the GCC is for old people. A huge part of it is privacy concerns and having your real name tied to pictures and stuff archived

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks Obama

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

dpyp

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/j_bloodworth/status/947842032185339904

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/harasrafiq/status/947874326962941958

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
America has never reckoned with their role in overthrowing a democratically elected government, and replacing it with an unpopular dictator, who then get overthrown by islamists. Until it does, it's not really in a position to be talking about what is in the best interests of the Iranian people, especially since it decided to sanction Iran, because they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Jan 2, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/freesyrian7719/status/948165313283149824

https://twitter.com/SanamF24/status/947892428366807040

The booj liberal elites refuse to show solidarity with their working class brothers and sisters.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that's really it: the US got cucked by Iran, after it tried to turn it into a puppet regime, and the US got so triggered by having this scheme blow up in its face, that it's held a sanctions-backed grudge for, what, 40, 50 years now? "Sore loser" doesn't begin to describe it.

And it's especially hypocritical to be talking about Iranian human rights abuses, when Saudi Arabia is basically the king in that department, and it's in a special relationship with the US.

Or you could just start to think out loud, "why did islamism gain such prominence in the arab world?", which you can answer with "because the US fostered it, to fight the soviet union, but since the collapse of the soviet union, the islamists have been the only guys directly resisting western encroachment and exploitation of the middle east, so the people back them".

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There is no greater crime than destruction of private property :obama:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
unless it belongs to the clerics and the papists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

There is no greater crime than destruction of private property :obama:

Here they are attacking a poor bank, the scoundrels.

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/947952860049956864

And worst of all, Iranian law enforcement officers. #bluelivesmatter

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/947950679657721857

• Locked thread