Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Not quite an internet reviewer, but random D&D internet personality Matt Colville talks about movies sometimes (and is pretty good at it,) and made a video on the prequels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2KmxpJuT0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wonder how many times we have to go through this dance before yall realize Kim is Alt right and concern trolling.

It just clutters the thread if you play along.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My google searching sucks so does anyone have a link to that one multi-part podcast that went through the entire history of the Roman Republic and Empire? I got back into Elite Dangerous in a big way and that's a prime game for listening to podcasts with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimbot posted:

My google searching sucks so does anyone have a link to that one multi-part podcast that went through the entire history of the Roman Republic and Empire? I got back into Elite Dangerous in a big way and that's a prime game for listening to podcasts with.

History of Rome by Mike Duncan?

Searching his name should get you it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

History of Rome by Mike Duncan?

Searching his name should get you it

That's it, thanks!

I could have sworn I bookmarked it when I first heard about it but I guess not.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, Roman put up a new RCR Stories episode like two months ago and they didn't even post it on twitter or anything. Hell yeah :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBCHlZaTb0

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Hobo By Design posted:

Not quite an internet reviewer, but random D&D internet personality Matt Colville talks about movies sometimes (and is pretty good at it,) and made a video on the prequels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2KmxpJuT0

I liked his look at the latest Star Wars because he very clearly lays out what he does and doesn't like about the original, WANTS to like the new movies, and does genuinely like many parts of them. There are just aspects of the whole thing that bring it down for him.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jim Sterling has come out with the Top Ten Shittiest Games of 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_alkb6PaZLo

Wish he'd chosen only one lovely PS4 game to represent what's been finding its way there, like he did for Steam.

Yeah, that really bugged me. Normally I really enjoy his worst-of-year videos, but I just really wasn't feeling it this time thanks to so much time wasted on obscure shovelware nobody knows or cares about.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

his list had a depressing lack of mass effect andromeda

that game was so bad it literally killed the series

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

financially racist posted:

He actually gave it one of his Mediocre Awards

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/tamoorh/status/946191058983145472

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh? I know Andromeda was a mess, but I wasn’t aware the fallout was so permanent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The game that was released was visibly not finished.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh? I know Andromeda was a mess, but I wasn’t aware the fallout was so permanent.

The game ends on a stinger that’s all but advertising for an upcoming DLC pack, which was summarily cancelled by EA after Andromeda failed to meet their sky high expectations and the PR shitshow that erupted after they published an unfinished alleged AAA game made by the D-Team in a walk-in closet while actual BioWare worked on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Any potential sequels have been spiked too, and now the whole Mass Effect franchise has been shelved to let the nerdrage “cool off”.

So yeah, Mass Effect is basically dead.

And it’s a shame too, because aside from a few quests that drag on longer than they have any right to, the fully patched (and modded, to cover the slack where BioWare just gave up) version of ME:A is actually pretty decent. A lot of the outrage at the. end of the day seems like it was from gamerbros blowing a gasket about how “UUUURGH! SJWs ruined Star Wars Mass Effect with all these black people and women and gay people and hurr the main character looks like they have autism—we angry white manboys are the future of gaming!” dreck.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 1, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

And it’s a shame too, because aside from a few quests that drag on longer than they have any right to, the fully patched (and modded, to cover the slack where BioWare just gave up) version of ME:A is actually pretty decent. A lot of the outrage at thee end of the day seems like it was from gamerbros blowing a gasket about how “UUUURGH! SJWs ruined Star Wars Mass Effect with all these black people and women and gay people and hurr the main character looks like they have autism—we angry white manboys are the future of gaming!” dreck.

I don't know about any of that, but this is all I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU

And just based on that, I already think it's a horribly ugly and unfun looking game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's right to call any game that needs mods to be good a "decent", even if there are douches who hate it for stupid reasons.

edit: Also and this is a personal thing, but making all the aliens from a different galaxy still look like humans in bad makeup is really dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a perfectly average 3rd person action rpg that if it wasn't called Mass Effect would have been forgotten in a month.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

it's a perfectly average 3rd person action rpg that if it wasn't called Mass Effect would have been forgotten in a month.

Good lord is the state of video games terrible if andromeda qualifies as average

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I think that some of the funny gifs of malfunctioning character animation would have lived on, though. Because thry’re pretty funny.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

And it’s a shame too, because aside from a few quests that drag on longer than they have any right to, the fully patched (and modded, to cover the slack where BioWare just gave up) version of ME:A is actually pretty decent.

Hahahahahaha, no.

The game's writing has major flaws at every level. Noah Gervais has a great long video about it that sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0VKHnwArQ

For me personally, the game falls apart right at the beginning with the death of your dad, who you've known for all of 2 minutes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah by the same metric that Superman 4 or Jurassic World are average movies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Even aside from the glitches and writing, the game design in Andromeda is a flaming car wreck of an unenjoyable mess.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Terrible Opinions posted:

At least they're not a Slamma Jamma or a Chuck and Larry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Hahahahahaha, no.

The game's writing has major flaws at every level. Noah Gervais has a great long video about it that sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0VKHnwArQ

For me personally, the game falls apart right at the beginning with the death of your dad, who you've known for all of 2 minutes.

I love how they were so clearly doing the 'first human Specter' thing but forgot to actually make any conflict around the Pathfinder that couldn't be instantly resolved with 'yeeeea...I'm Pathfinder though...' so it was just your dumbshit dad giving you the key to the galaxy with no conflict or strife.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
remember how one of your companions was literally the more qualified choice to be Pathfinder and that plotline is resolved with you just going 'yeeeea...my dad tho....' and then maybe giving her the D

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

Even aside from the glitches and writing, the game design in Andromeda is a flaming car wreck of an unenjoyable mess.

Yeah, the only part of it that's even decent I'd say is the combat. It is honestly a pretty good improvement over 3.

But there's too much of it and everything else is such a tire fire.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Speaking of Noah Gervais his most recent video convinced me to buy the fourth Call of Juarez game which is honestly quite something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, the only part of it that's even decent I'd say is the combat. It is honestly a pretty good improvement over 3.

But there's too much of it and everything else is such a tire fire.

the combat would be decent if the loot, inventory, crafting and skill systems weren't overbaked to the point of worthlessness

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the thing with andromeda's writing is that is has a ton of moments that are on par or even worse than the worst writing in me3 (which itself had a loving TON of low points and i still hate that the terrible ending overshadows all the other awful, awful writing in that game)

the difference is that me3 did at least have some high points, like how mordin's story wrapped up and...well i guess that's really the only high point not included in dlc in the game, but at least it was a thing. andromeda doesn't even have that, it's all the lows of me3 with none of the highs or even averages. considering mass effect has always been a narrative-driven game first and foremost, that's kind of a big problem.

it sucks because even with its warts, me1 remains maybe my favorite game of the previous generation. it is stunning how far that series fell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For just one game, it felt really nice playing a Star Trek game in a wholly original setting. 2 was good action shlock but it lost all that Star Trek sense of discovery and wonderment.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jim Sterling has come out with the Top Ten Shittiest Games of 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_alkb6PaZLo

Wish he'd chosen only one lovely PS4 game to represent what's been finding its way there, like he did for Steam.

I think that it's reasonable. That Black Tiger game is on the Sony youtube channel which is pretty drat close to an official endorsement from Sony as possible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Most of the time the animation in Andromeda is just stiff and awkward, given how long the game is the bits that are hilariously bad aren't that common (and are frontloaded, which made it easier for streamers etc to find given the early release demo).

Jurassic World got decent reviews and made a shitload of money, so it's a poor comparison for Andromeda.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of Noah Gervais his most recent video convinced me to buy the fourth Call of Juarez game which is honestly quite something.

Gunslinger is great and it's only $4 on Steam right now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andromeda actually made a whole lot, it just didn't make all of the money ever, which was EA's goal with a new Mass Effect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

Andromeda actually made a whole lot, it just didn't make all of the money ever, which was EA's goal with a new Mass Effect.

Sales dropped off a cliff into the bargain bin after a couple of weeks, which only means everyone knew it was done.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not only badly made but badly written as well. It outright lies to the player about its initial premises, and you can poke major holes in almost any plot point by thinking about them for two seconds.

You are going to explore new worlds!
You are playing catch-up to two years of prior colonization.

Only the Pathfinders can find habitable worlds!
Aside from the exiled mutiners, who found a tolerable one. The actual colonists tried to settle on a radioactive desert wasteland and failed. Twice.

Also the basic premise of the Pathfinder is to be the eyes and ears of an AI evaluating unknown planet conditions. You know, the job a cheap probe could do from orbit in ME2&3.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gunslinger is legit pretty awesome and it's unfortunate that it had to be associated with The Cartel, one of the most laughably terrible games of that console gen.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's a pity that Call of Juarez as a series has to be associated with that turd.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

jesus christ this thread

Anyway, here's December's Goosebumps review.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poparena posted:

jesus christ this thread

It's the reason we have :one: as an emote now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
get ready for most of your youtube people that bother to comment on youtube drama being really hot and bothered because Paul Logan (Vine retard) decided it'd be a good idea to go to the "suicide forest" in Japan and film himself next to the hanging corpse of a suicide victim

• Locked thread