Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Holy gently caress. drat, I'm tempted to subscribe to McGinn's website just to get his thoughts on what they should do next. I knew Capers was out but didn't see Ted stepping down.

I'm guessing Elliot Wolf for GM, some kind of title change + raise for Russ Ball and Brian Gutekunst (with Alonzo Highsmith taking Wolf's old spot), McCarthy stays as head coach and gets a two-year extension, and someone out of Winston Moss/Darren Perry/Mike Trgovac/Joe Whitt Jr. becomes defensive coordinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's gotta be Wolf as the GM unless they send McCarthy packing and burn the whole office to the waterline.

e:

quote:

Mike Trgovac
They fired him

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think Brian will get it. I just don't see Wolf being ready yet for running a whole department.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Big Beef City posted:

They fired him

Weird! I felt like our defensive line was our only good unit on that side of the ball this year.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'm glad that I lived to witness the demise of the Ted Thompson, Super Genius narrative.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
In other news, Mark Murphy was hospitalized today after apparently reading a five year backlog of McGinn articles and CHTV blog comments over the weekend

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Shangri-Law School posted:

I'm glad that I lived to witness the demise of the Ted Thompson, Super Genius narrative.

I'll take 2 decades of success. It's ok.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Ted drafted a lot of good players. Just not so much lately.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

I think Brian will get it. I just don't see Wolf being ready yet for running a whole department.

Eliot Wolf's history:

quote:

As executive:
  • Green Bay Packers (2004–2008) Pro personnel assistant
  • Green Bay Packers (2008–2011) Assistant director of pro personnel
  • Green Bay Packers (2011–2012) Assistant director of player personnel
  • Green Bay Packers (2012–2015) Director of pro personnel
  • Green Bay Packers (2015–2016) Director of player personnel
  • Green Bay Packers (2016–present) Director-Football Operations

What more experience do you think Wolf needs before he can "run a whole department"? Gutekunst is the current director of player personnel and has been for two years now -- prior to that he was director of college scouting for four years.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Ted drafted a lot of good players. Just not so much lately.

Notice how the secondary stinks, yet two guys TT drafted who were just ok left and became Pro Bowlers? Capers was really bad.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I thought Wolf was still like 30. I am getting old.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Hand Row posted:

Notice how the secondary stinks, yet two guys TT drafted who were just ok left and became Pro Bowlers? Capers was really bad.

TT drafted Aaron Rodgers and Nick Collins in 1 draft that's magic baby

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Hand Row posted:

The Hayward saga was the most frustrating thing ever. He was amazeballs his rookie year then kind of meh for the next three years, then we let him walk and he's fantastic again. I think he led the league in picks and was named an all-pro last year. Way to use talent, Dom.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*throws brick through Bob Quinn's office window*

DRAFT AN EDGE RUSHER AND THEN DRAFT NICK CHUBB YOU IMBECILE

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i think bob quinn should hire a bunch of patriots coaches and draft some rutgers players

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nerve posted:

draft some rutgers players

Gotta draft some GRIT

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Man for people in the GB radio market,107.5 is gonna be something to listen to tomorrow....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A running back name Chubb?!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

cage-free egghead posted:

https://youtu.be/e-UnAHa9QS0?t=202

My favorite Lovie Smith moment was when they had 4 downs inside the 5 and couldn't punch it in against the Vikes 08 defense. The face he makes when they turn it over on downs is how I imagine him any time they make an error.

Also watch Gus Frerotte make a 99 yard touchdown pass to Berrian on the very next play lmao

It's weird watching the 08 Vikings. You forget just how dominant Peterson was and Chester Taylor was a really strong all-around back. I was excited about the Bernard Berrian signing, he had a couple long TDs (another one against AZ I think), but he was never the deep threat that he was supposed to be. I forgot that Bobby Wade was ever on the Vikings, not a good sign when your WR corp is made up of ex-Bears. They had a pretty good defense that year. The DL of Jared Allen, Pat and Kevin Williams, and Brian Robison was great. The back 7 had some good players like Chad Greenway, Antoine Winfield, Darren Sharper*, and Madieu Williams, but was incomplete. The line would swarm, but they could get beat on runs to the outside and give up big plays in the passing game. They made up for it some by forcing turnovers (especially fumbles if IIRC), but we've never been able to have a strong DL and secondary until Zimmer. Just a completely different beast, but it could be fun to compare their 2008 DL to the 2017 DL.

*It is still weird how Darren Sharper went from being viewed as a high character guy to turning out to be a psychopath.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ye7fTucCyk

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Aniki posted:

It's weird watching the 08 Vikings.

It's weird watching Jim Kleinsasser catching a (nearly) TD pass

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I think the new Packers GM will be an internal one. I doubt they extended their players in the past week, if they were close to moving TT aside.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
:rip: my gif and that fantastic Lost Ark one.

One last post before it's lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Neat article from Calvin Johnson on what he's been up to in retirement.

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/948200832620728320

I still miss him, but at least he's happy :unsmith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

good players like Madieu Williams

:confused:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Neat article from Calvin Johnson on what he's been up to in retirement.

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/948200832620728320

I still miss him, but at least he's happy :unsmith:

Yea this was a nice read.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

PowderKeg posted:

:rip: my gif and that fantastic Lost Ark one.

One last post before it's lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

I hate the lions, but these stupid gifs make me laugh every time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pops Mgee posted:

I hate the lions, but these stupid gifs make me laugh every time.

the best part of the Holy Grail one is omnipotent Jim Caldwell following LIONS BITCH before it loops back to the start. Never fails to crack me up

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the lions absolutely can gently caress up this coaching change and since they're the lions i am firmly convinced they will, but i am also fairly certain if they stuck with caldwell they'd have been perpetually in the 7-9/9-7 range where they will never get a good draft pick or make the playoffs. i dont really see a scenario where this caldwell lions team ever becomes a consistent playoff team. there's at least hope now (lmao)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6FdXd6ZD8

Brett Hundley should probably stick to fighting games.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://instagram.com/p/BddyqKKD4j4/

I'm not too much of a fan of how he's doing this 2 weeks after that match but honestly I like the swagger and confidence Randall has been displaying ever since he came back from that Bears benching. That's really key to have for a corner who's going to be assigned to the #1 receivers. I hope he can stick with that confidence instead of spiking up and down.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

I still miss your long halftime analysis of Vikings games that you would post in GDTs. One of the things that made me start reading TFF threads. What are the chances you'll start posting those again?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

the lions absolutely can gently caress up this coaching change and since they're the lions i am firmly convinced they will, but i am also fairly certain if they stuck with caldwell they'd have been perpetually in the 7-9/9-7 range where they will never get a good draft pick or make the playoffs. i dont really see a scenario where this caldwell lions team ever becomes a consistent playoff team. there's at least hope now (lmao)

Someone in another thread likened Caldwell staying on in Detroit to Marv Lewis in Cincy- a lot of time hovering at or just above .500 but no significant success (though Marv has managed to win a number of division titles, which Detroit obviously hasn't done), so you never know if you should move on or not.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Caldwell fixed some of his problems (how he seems to have terrible running games wherever he goes, the terribly slow starts the Lions had under him), then the Lions could've consistently been a double digit win team under him, but really, this was the year to figure that poo poo out and he didn't. They had a pretty loving cushy schedule this year but they still played down to opponents worse than them a LOT. Failing to get 10 wins out of this schedule is pretty bad no matter how you slice it.

Also if they weren't getting turnovers, the defense was kind of godawful. I dunno how much times this year they needed Slay or Quin to just pull a huge play right out of their rear end to avoid disaster, but it sure did feel like a lot.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I am really afraid the Packers will name Russ Ball GM after Murphy's comments. :ohdear:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xeras posted:

I am really afraid the Packers will name Russ Ball GM after Murphy's comments. :ohdear:

Why?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If you read Murphy's comments themselves I think you'll find they don't point to Russ Ball anything like as strongly as Mike FLorio says they do in that article (where he also mentions every other name linked to the opening by anyone so that he can say "called it!" no matter who gets the job)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shurmur has interviews with the Bears, Lions, Cardinals, and Giants this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

Someone in another thread likened Caldwell staying on in Detroit to Marv Lewis in Cincy- a lot of time hovering at or just above .500 but no significant success (though Marv has managed to win a number of division titles, which Detroit obviously hasn't done), so you never know if you should move on or not.

i just hope that whoever the next coach is will do something about the predictable play calling. if i never have to see a run out of a formation they have no passing plays out of it will be too soon.

• Locked thread