Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheNewt posted:

You literally have no clue what minorities in this country are going through and you are sitting around having orgasms because someone who makes 500k has to pay a bit more in taxes.

Seriously gently caress off with that poo poo.

lol I love it when white liberals use minorities as a shield from criticism like this

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is insane. People have no idea what they are taking about and are just throwing around numbers. 500k won’t get you a McMansion in weschester. It’ll probably get you a boring 3br built in the 1940’s.

And property taxes for that will probably exceed 10k per year.

Cry me a loving river, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheNewt posted:

You literally have no clue what minorities in this country are going through and you are sitting around having orgasms because someone who makes 500k has to pay a bit more in taxes.

I'm not having any orgasms, I'm simply presenting an argument against further cutting federal revenue in order to give handouts to the top 10%. An argument which you're unable to refute, so you're using poor minorities as a shield to push more tax cuts for the rich and more starvation of the federal government poor minorities rely on.

Rather than say, increasing the corporate tax rate in blue states to compensate for the cuts and then spending that money on state and local services to actually help the minorities you're pretending to care about instead of spending more money on the affluent professional class in rich suburbs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TheNewt posted:

And its not like those extra taxes are going to actually help anyone, its just paying for a tax cut for those even richer assholes. Tax raises need to be used to help the people on the bottom, not on the top.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Man last night I went to a dopeass Colombian new years party with a woman who can barely speak english has unescapable healthcare debt that literally has taken money out of her children's college scholarships and can barely walk because of how puffy her feet are because everything in this country is designed to gently caress over everybody. BUT ITS COOL.

BECAUSE RICH PEOPLE.

IN THE NORTHEAST.

NOW PAY $3000 MORE IN TAXES.

ITS ALL GONNA BE ALLLL RIGGGHHTTT.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

lol I love it when white liberals use minorities as a shield from criticism like this

Cry me a loving river, man

Ok, but don’t throw around numbers for things you don’t know anything about. I mean do people just grab things out of their rear end based on their own personal experience or something?

Like people can’t conceive that there’s areas that are different from their own personal experience?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is insane. People have no idea what they are taking about and are just throwing around numbers. 500k won’t get you a McMansion in weschester. It’ll probably get you a boring 3br built in the 1940’s.

Yeah I live in OK and have a pretty decent size house that cost 400k. It's not anywhere near "mansion" size (it's a 4br) and OK has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. I know this thread tends to degenerate into Who Is the Purest/Poorest And Most Downtrodden Awards but come on, at least cling to some reality.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Are we arguing the definition of a rich man again?

Nah, it is pretty clear "rich man" is defined as "anyone who makes more than me".

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheNewt posted:

Dude I literally don't give a gently caress about your loving whitey proof.

I find it hilarious though that you are getting such a raging hard-on for a couple of people paying a bit more in taxes because of some SALT poo poo while the country is burning down around you. Get some loving priorities jesus h christ.

I feel like this thread reserves the majority of it's contempt for people just on the verge of being awful but also having done some downright decent or at least agreeable things in their time and it's really weird. See Al Franken, John McCain, Kevin Spacey, Bob Corker, Jeff Flake and most recently Elon Musk and Jim Comey. It just feels like where people go for the jugular the most and where the biggest fights get started

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 2, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Westchester is a rich-rear end suburb dude.

I'm the only one who has backed up my arguments with any proof, everyone else is just trying to cherry-pick affluent neighborhoods to qq that compared to the Joneses their income is only average.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not having any orgasms, I'm simply presenting an argument against further cutting federal revenue in order to give handouts to the top 10%. An argument which you're unable to refute, so you're using poor minorities as a shield to push more tax cuts for the rich and more starvation of the federal government poor minorities rely on.

Rather than say, increasing the corporate tax rate in blue states to compensate for the cuts and then spending that money on state and local services to actually help the minorities you're pretending to care about instead of spending more money on the affluent professional class in rich suburbs.

Naw we should just preserve whatever law Trump and the GOP passed that was specifically designed to gently caress over people in certain states because said people were rich. Totally.

Eres la peor escoria de la tierra triple-hijo-de-puta gringo de mierda.

The US has worse tribalistic mentality than any nation on earth and this thread is proof.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
This thread considers anyone making mortgage payments to be deserving of the guillotine. Anyone who talks about their own situation while having a single pot to piss in has learned this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

edit: I'm rich enough to afford two of the same post

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I live in OK and have a pretty decent size house that cost 400k. It's not anywhere near "mansion" size (it's a 4br) and OK has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. I know this thread tends to degenerate into Who Is the Purest/Poorest And Most Downtrodden Awards but come on, at least cling to some reality.

I personally think it’s just people who have never looked into buying a house, modest or not. Not trying to put anybody down, but 500k doesn’t get you all that much and property taxes in those areas we are taking about pretty much exceed $10k or are close to it for most people in those areas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheNewt posted:

Man last night I went to a dopeass Colombian new years party with a woman who can barely speak english has unescapable healthcare debt that literally has taken money out of her children's college scholarships and can barely walk because of how puffy her feet are because everything in this country is designed to gently caress over everybody. BUT ITS COOL.

BECAUSE RICH PEOPLE.

IN THE NORTHEAST.

NOW PAY $3000 MORE IN TAXES.

ITS ALL GONNA BE ALLLL RIGGGHHTTT.

How is cutting federal revenue to give more money to high earners in Westchester fuckin County going to help this woman that you totally really know.

I'll wait.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

This thread considers anyone making mortgage payments to be deserving of the guillotine. Anyone who talks about their own situation while having a single pot to piss in has learned this.

I make 45k in Fairfield County Connecticut and I'm destined for the guillotine, too, I've learned.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Yes I agree. But honestly they need to step into a little bit of reality.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
oh wow

distilled purity tests in the trump thread

my stars

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

I personally think it’s just people who have never looked into buying a house, modest or not. Not trying to put anybody down, but 500k doesn’t get you all that much and property taxes in those areas we are taking about pretty much exceed $10k or are close to it for most people in those areas.

I'm really impressed that some people have encyclopedic knowledge of all property values, property tax rates, income tax rates and the cost of living in all parts of the country and can come to such quick judgement.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Hey, we can't all just go out and win elections in virginia, okay.

I’m not eyerolling on this one, I’m just curious if we ever came to the consensus on what a rich American actually is

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Is it ok if we convince the henrys to vote Democratic party because they can't afford that 2nd vacation anymore?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When people can deduct local property taxes from their federal, they're gonna be more likely to vote for bonds and props that raise their property tax to fund it. Without that, thee funding sources are going to be lost

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

I've provided plenty of data, feel free to dispute it rather than handwaving about the poor of Westchester County and their seven figure homes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yes I agree. But honestly they need to step into a little bit of reality.

This is a dumb, useless thing to say to someone noticing that their taxes are going up while their bosses' taxes are going down.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the biggest outrage is that taxes are being increased for these people and nobody’s getting poo poo for it. Like no teachers are getting raises no roads being built no people getting healthcare.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

How is cutting federal revenue to give more money to high earners in Westchester fuckin County going to help this woman that you totally really know.

I'll wait.

What good is federal revenue when it's going to entities directly controlled by Trump and the GOP?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

skylined! posted:

oh wow

distilled purity tests in the trump thread

my stars

Because I don't want to participate in the derail, I'll ask something unrelated that I've always wondered:

Where did your av come from, and why is that can of Bush's Beans screaming about Nancy Pelosi?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

When people can deduct local property taxes from their federal, they're gonna be more likely to vote for bonds and props that raise their property tax to fund it. Without that, thee funding sources are going to be lost

Nah rich people will never vote to raise their own taxes out of the goodness of their hearts. Trying to convince rich people to raise their taxes by offering them lower taxes is a fool's errand for obvious reasons.

We need to outvote the rich, not adopt Republican tax-cutting policies to finally get those Panera Bread votes.

TheNewt posted:

What good is federal revenue when it's going to entities directly controlled by Trump and the GOP?

Guy qqing about muh taxes doesn't understand how the federal government works, shocker.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kale posted:

I feel like this thread reserves the majority of it's contempt for people just on the verge of being awful but also having done some downright decent or at least agreeable things in their time and it's really weird. See Al Franken, John McCain, Kevin Spacey, Bob Corker, Jeff Flake and most recently Elon Musk and Jim Comey. It just feels like where people go for the jugular the most and where the biggest fights get started

What good has Kevin Spacey done? He was just a good actor, being a sexpest and terrible person hasn't changed that. Feel free to watch his performances.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

TheNewt posted:

As opposed to what, exactly

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Nah rich people will never vote to raise their own taxes out of the goodness of their hearts. Trying to convince rich people to raise their taxes by offering them lower taxes is a fool's errand for obvious reasons.

We need to outvote the rich, not adopt Republican tax-cutting policies to finally get those Panera Bread votes.

Guy qqing about muh taxes doesn't understand how the federal government works, shocker.

That’s not true. A lot of people vote to increase property taxes because it goes to fund the schools.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Kale posted:

It also reserves it for anyone earning a hair over 100K because that is the hard and fast line where the bourgeois starts.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

TheNewt posted:

Naw we should just preserve whatever law Trump and the GOP passed that was specifically designed to gently caress over people in certain states because said people were rich. Totally.

Eres la peor escoria de la tierra triple-hijo-de-puta gringo de mierda.

The US has worse tribalistic mentality than any nation on earth and this thread is proof.

Blame the GOP dumbass VitalSigns isn't advocating anything.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mezzanine posted:

Because I don't want to participate in the derail, I'll ask something unrelated that I've always wondered:

Where did your av come from, and why is that can of Bush's Beans screaming about Nancy Pelosi?

it's house rep karen handel, who beat lukewarm dem jon ossof in the ga06 runoff over the summer. i joked that karen handel's screaming about nancy pelosi during the debates was like that one comic or whatever with the dude screaming peckerwood over and over and someone made the av and bought it for me and here we are.

i cannot explain the bush's beans thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

osker posted:

It also reserves it for anyone earning a hair over 100K because that is the hard and fast line where the bourgeois starts.

My argument isn't based on contempt, it's an argument that further slashing federal revenue in order to give these people an unnecessary tax cut is bad policy, and that better policy to resist the tax bill would be to hike state corporate taxes in order to offset federal rate cuts and then use that money to fund state and local services that benefit everyone including those making over 100K

The reaction is of course, just affluent-fragility and qqing about being "hated" over having to pay an insignificant amount of extra taxes (which are partially offset by a high-earner federal rate cut anyway).

Man the older I get the more I understand Phil Ochs' observation about people who say they're oh-so-progressive until it affects them personally and they swing violently to the right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kale posted:

Kevin Spacey was a dedicated sexual assaulter for loving years. In what sense is he on the verge?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Hm, this is an interesting idea. In order to combat the GOP and their agenda, instead of targeting their party, we could just target the government they control, through revenue cuts, privatization, and deregulation. I like it! Kinda a "starve the beast" kind of thing.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

My argument isn't based on contempt, it's an argument that further slashing federal revenue in order to give these people an unnecessary tax cut is bad policy, and that better policy to resist the tax bill would be to hike state corporate taxes in order to offset federal rate cuts and then use that money to fund state and local services that benefit everyone including those making over 100K

The reaction is of course, just affluent-fragility and qqing about being "hated" over having to pay an insignificant amount of extra taxes (which are partially offset by a high-earner federal rate cut anyway).

Man the older I get the more I understand Phil Ochs' observation about people who say they're oh-so-progressive until it affects them personally and they swing violently to the right.

You realize if you hike local corporate tax rates, the corporations will just change which location is their headquarters, right? I mean corporations are always finding sweetheart deals with various municipalities where they pay next to no taxes so the city can have the honor of getting their lovely jobs. Unless every state did it in unison, that kind of approach will just gently caress over workers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

That’s not true. A lot of people vote to increase property taxes because it goes to fund the schools.

True, when it funds something that they and only they benefit from and which is kept away from the filthy undeserving poors, they'll vote to pay higher taxes.

But there's no need to bribe them to do that, they'll still pay for Aiden and Kay Lee to go to a good school as long as Jesús and DeAndre are kept out, we don't need to give them extra money to be exclusive and elitist they'll happily do that on their own.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Unzip and Attack posted:

It may shock petty bougie IT/techbro people who think they're middle class but the average american owns a home that costs less than half that.

My friend who is a teacher owns a 3br ranch that cost them 125k.

Normal, average, everyday, etc. people do not buy 400k mcmansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There is so much blinding anger in this thread. What the hell is going on leftist America?

• Locked thread