Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you live in a place that’s growing and has jobs things are going to be more expensive. That’s just simple logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skylined! posted:

however there are parts of the country where 500k gets you a 1500sq ft bungalow built in the 1940's so maybe your generalizations are not well thought out.
No you see his teacher buddy got a sprawling 6/4 in Icepiss, Minnesota so clearly the right thing to do is leave the hipster metro core and move to a place where Lilly white is too colored for the local folk.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

VitalSigns posted:

:lol: I knew it.

Dude, you just tried to make the argument that poor people pay more than $10,000 in SALT because look some people in Westchester county make $40k surely they must be the ones with the $10k+ tax bill, now I ask you to show your work on that and suddenly it's "pointless".

Pretty sure the argument he was making was that it's not just the capital class paying $10k+ in SALT. You do know that there are people who aren't poor who still have to count every dollar, yes?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RandomBlue posted:

Trump is President. Just an FYI.

People were still angry when Obama was president. Like after the first six months though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Azhais posted:

If you're in a tech job and anywhere near the tech hubs 500k won't get far

Then let's raise state taxes and build affordable housing in those areas, rather than give the top 1% more tax breaks that will only be used to bid up property prices in those areas of restricted supply, what do you think about that? We have plenty of room to do that because the feds just gave corporations a huge handout and we can take from that.

That would help the techies, and the people working service jobs in tech hubs who don't have $500k salaries but still have to survive somehow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

No you see his teacher buddy got a sprawling 6/4 in Icepiss, Minnesota so clearly the right thing to do is leave the hipster metro core and move to a place where Lilly white is too colored for the local folk.

in fairness they do an excellent hasselback casserole in Icepiss

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol I like all the smug white liberals who think their coastal cities aren't gentrifying like crazy and driving low income minorities out

*heh, look at those poors in sump pump, iowa*

*scoops up a hot rental in harlem after a black family of 3 was evicted to make room for gentrifiers*

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah sure, Wall Street and SiliconValley are going to pack up and move to Kansas aaaaaaany day now, Governor Brownback.

Those states have corporate income taxes already, if corporations were going to move to Wichita they'd have done it 8 years ago, guess what, they didn't because it turns out corporations don't want to move to states with failing infrastructure and substandard education.

There's no evidence, by the way, that municipal tax breaks attract corporations, and in many cases the breaks apply to companies that were already planning to go there anyway. Tax subsidies are just a handout to companies and are the most inefficient way to "create" jobs.

Here's John Oliver to tell you more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl19RoR7lc
I love how my freeper family friend said the reason things went downhill for our town was because Westinghouse wanted to change the taxes they were getting when their contract with Monroeville ran out and when the town refused, Westinghouse left which sure sucked because they did bring a bunch of educated jobs to the town, but really would have it mattered considering Westinghouse is bankrupt now anyway?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like that 125,000 is a moral house value but 400,000 is a hideous sin. Those numbers aren't even far apart in house prices
I mean, one of those numbers is 3.2 times greater than the other one. One of those numbers is affordable to me while the other is laughably out of reach for me. I recognize the spirit of your post - 'Where do we draw the line?' - But let's not pretend that this is like, a rounding error.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I'm not engaging in your pointless tax debate.

I'm just saying you clearly thought Westchester County was like a town outside of New York full of very rich people instead of a pretty large county that encompasses very different cities and townships including folks who don't make much money along with yes, many rich people.

Totally irrelevant because taxes are assessed based on tax bracket not what county of NY you live in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

You let me know when the jewish person gets gas chambered by the Nazi Party in this country, cause I think that's when being ironic starts being dangerous.

Until then, go gently caress yourself

That is how dumb it is.

By the time people start getting murdered it is a little late to moderate the rhetoric.

So maybe grow the gently caress up and realize that joking about murdering people is just a stupid and ghoulish when you do it as it is when people who disagree with you do it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty sure the argument he was making was that it's not just the capital class paying $10k+ in SALT. You do know that there are people who aren't poor who still have to count every dollar, yes?

It was a spurious argument because he took the median income of a low income area and said it must be those $40k earners paying the $10k median property tax bills of the entire county.

Feel free to show your work that people outside the top 10% or so are seeing a significant tax hike. So far all I've gotten is "well in my gated neighborhood $200k salaries are below average, do you expect me to live next door to my filthy barista?" and "what about this rural town of 147 people where half pay a lot in taxes, don't ask me how much land those high payers own tho" and "gently caress your facts, I don't feel rich", none of which is a particularly compelling argument for further starving the federal government of revenue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mods please lock the thread until the president tweets again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VitalSigns posted:

Then let's raise state taxes and build affordable housing in those areas, rather than give the top 1% more tax breaks that will only be used to bid up property prices in those areas of restricted supply, what do you think about that? We have plenty of room to do that because the feds just gave corporations a huge handout and we can take from that.

That would help the techies, and the people working service jobs in tech hubs who don't have $500k salaries but still have to survive somehow.

I think we all agree on this

We need to do poo poo to fix the situation in many cities, rising rents, rising house costs, worse traffic from everyone being forced to live further from where they work, etc

We have a lot of inter-related issues that need to be fixed, without getting into obvious things like UHC, and the last thing we should be using tax dollars for is to pay for corporate tax cuts and estate tax cuts

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Totally irrelevant because taxes are assessed based on tax bracket not what county of NY you live in.

Property taxes are assessed based on value and locality.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Unoriginal Name posted:

You let me know when the first rich person gets guillotined by the poor in this country, cause I think that's when being ironic starts being dangerous.

Until then, go gently caress yourself

a rich congressman had his dick shot off by a guy angry over health insurance already so

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I think we all agree on this

We need to do poo poo to fix the situation in many cities, rising rents, rising house costs, worse traffic from everyone being forced to live further from where they work, etc

We have a lot of inter-related issues that need to be fixed, without getting into obvious things like UHC, and the last thing we should be using tax dollars for is to pay for corporate tax cuts and estate tax cuts

Agreed, this is exactly what we should be doing, and let me add that we definitely shouldn't be using cuts to corporate rates and estate tax cuts as an excuse to pass even more tax cuts for high earners who feel left out and want their piece

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I honestly wasn't making an argument about SALT at all. I think Vital was just talking about Westchester in a way that showed he didn't really understand what it was. Calling it a rich suburb of New York City is unfair to folks living in Westchester who don't make much money. All I'm saying is that Westchester isn't a singular town--which it sounds like when you call it a suburb--and not everyone who lives there is rich.

Vital, I don't really care about your tax argument and yeah I do think it's kind of pointless. I don't think you understood what Westchester was and I hope you do know. Sorry my posts made you feel salty, it wasn't my intent.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It was a spurious argument because he took the median income of a low income area and said it must be those $40k earners paying the $10k median property tax bills of the entire county.

Feel free to show your work that people outside the top 10% or so are seeing a significant tax hike. So far all I've gotten is "well in my gated neighborhood $200k salaries are below average, do you expect me to live next door to my filthy barista?" and "what about this rural town of 147 people where half pay a lot in taxes, don't ask me how much land those high payers own tho" and "gently caress your facts, I don't feel rich", none of which is a particularly compelling argument for further starving the federal government of revenue.

Painting everyone who isn't financially drowning with this brush makes you look profoundly stupid and unserious. People making mid-five-figures are allowed to be bothered by their tax bill going up to make their bosses' accountants' spreadsheet look better.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

skylined! posted:

a rich congressman had his dick shot off by a guy angry over health insurance already so

A bunch of other random people got shot during that one too.

But maybe we should look up their income relative to their areas median before we determine if their health and lives have meaning.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VitalSigns posted:

v0v

Find more room in San Francisco I guess?

California also has some law on the books that says they can't change the taxes without a supermajority which is what's gotten them into their dire straits

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah sure, Wall Street and SiliconValley are going to pack up and move to Kansas aaaaaaany day now, Governor Brownback.

Those states have corporate income taxes already, if corporations were going to move to Wichita they'd have done it 8 years ago, guess what, they didn't because it turns out corporations don't want to move to states with failing infrastructure and substandard education.

There's no evidence, by the way, that municipal tax breaks attract corporations, and in many cases the breaks apply to companies that were already planning to go there anyway. Tax subsidies are just a handout to companies and are the most inefficient way to "create" jobs.

Here's John Oliver to tell you more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl19RoR7lc

You're right that taxes aren't the only factor for corporations, but they are an important factor. Corporations moving out of California due to its unfriendly business environment and regulations is a well-documented phenomenon.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Is there a way to legally target a tax the international wealthy at the federal level? Is something like a federal luxury property tax constitutional?

Cause there is going to be a big drat hole and I like Medicare and SS

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Azhais posted:

v0v

Find more room in San Francisco I guess?

California also has some law on the books that says they can't change the taxes without a supermajority which is what's gotten them into their dire straits

San Francisco's issues have more to do with zoning and white "native" San Franciscans being poo poo people than geography.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Peven Stan posted:

lol I like all the smug white liberals who think their coastal cities aren't gentrifying like crazy and driving low income minorities out

*heh, look at those poors in sump pump, iowa*

*scoops up a hot rental in harlem after a black family of 3 was evicted to make room for gentrifiers*

could you please address them in this thread specifically or maybe gently caress off to uspol or something

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I honestly wasn't making an argument about SALT at all. I think Vital was just talking about Westchester in a way that showed he didn't really understand what it was. Calling it a rich suburb of New York City is unfair to folks living in Westchester who don't make much money. All I'm saying is that Westchester isn't a singular town--which it sounds like when you call it a suburb--and not everyone who lives there is rich.

Vital, I don't really care about your tax argument and yeah I do think it's kind of pointless. I don't think you understood what Westchester was and I hope you do know. Sorry my posts made you feel salty, it wasn't my intent.

Westchester was brought up as an area with a median property tax rate above $13k, which was why I pointed out that's because a bunch of rich people live there, in the second richest county in New York City.

I didn't claim every single person was rich (or at least I didn't intend for what I said to be taken that way), and the people making $40k within the county lines are obviously not the people paying $13k in taxes, so I think this was all a misunderstanding between you and me, maybe you didn't see the post I was replying to or something.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Is there a way to legally target a tax the international wealthy at the federal level? Is something like a federal luxury property tax constitutional?

Cause there is going to be a big drat hole and I like Medicare and SS

SS is easy to fix, just lift the cap.

Medicare is hosed no matter what unless the cost increases slow.

You can't have one area of the budget growing at a rate 3-4x the overall economic growth rate forever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peven Stan posted:

No, yeah, that's exactly the same as living in Whitpower, Alabama.

Oh wait no the city's always had a rich and diverse population.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TheScott2K posted:

Painting everyone who isn't financially drowning with this brush makes you look profoundly stupid and unserious. People making mid-five-figures are allowed to be bothered by their tax bill going up to make their bosses' accountants' spreadsheet look better.

The house values that have been talked about in this thread though, are 400-500k. Even accounting for different assorted living costs, I'm really struggling to picture a scenario in which a guy earning mid-five-figures is going home to his 500k house. I mean, prove me wrong - I'm certainly not omniscient.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xae posted:

That is how dumb it is.

By the time people start getting murdered it is a little late to moderate the rhetoric.

So maybe grow the gently caress up and realize that joking about murdering people is just a stupid and ghoulish when you do it as it is when people who disagree with you do it.

Indeed leftists are like Nazis and we should be moderate. Let's pull our rhetoric to the middle of the political spectrum.

Dare I say.....more centrist

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

The house values that have been talked about in this thread though, are 400-500k. Even accounting for different assorted living costs, I'm really struggling to picture a scenario in which a guy earning mid-five-figures is going home to his 500k house. I mean, prove me wrong - I'm certainly not omniscient.

Maybe the guy's partner works too?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Indeed leftists are like Nazis and we should be moderate. Let's pull our rhetoric to the middle of the political spectrum.

Dare I say.....more centrist
Are you illiterate or just avoiding the point on purpose?

You really want to start arguing that leftist don't have a nasty history of genocide?

Really?

Feel free to be a leftist all you want. Just gently caress off with the Internet Revolutionary LARPing bullshit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Dual professional income might be able to swing that far. Like a household of 120-150k.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Oh wait no the city's always had a rich and diverse population.

Gonna be a lot more rich and a lot less diverse with this current crop of HENRY vultures doing their best to gentrify harlem, chinatown, the bronx, and anywhere poc might find affordable in the city

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Xae posted:

A bunch of other random people got shot during that one too.

But maybe we should look up their income relative to their areas median before we determine if their health and lives have meaning.

Their policies would kill hundreds of thousands of people. Save your crocodile tears.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Y'all are really going wild with "HENRY." Like a ten year old who just discovered "gently caress"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Mid-five-figures? No one has been able to actually prove that anyone making $50,000/yr is going to see a significant tax increase.

If you can prove this is happening I'd totally support a targeted state fix for those people, but so far all I've seen is proposals to use loopholes to restore the full SALT deduction, and a bunch of handwaving to pretend all of that money wouldn't go only to people who are already rich, not one specific example anyone has offered of totally-real 50k-earners paying $10k SALT bills has held up, not one.

If we want to resist the GOP we should offset the federal tax cuts with state tax hikes and use that money to pay for the services the GOP-controlled HUD and DOE are cutting, not give the top 10% more tax breaks because they feel left out of the $1.5T that the top 0.1% got.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xae posted:

You really want to start arguing that leftist don't have a nasty history of genocide?

Really?

Feel free to be a leftist all you want. Just gently caress off with the Internet Revolutionary LARPing bullshit.

thank you for allowing me my political opinion sir

P.S. as long as the rich are engaged in an active campaign that literally causes the death of the poor, I will joyfully continue my LARPing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skylined! posted:

Yeah and it's too bad he and the others didn't die, because instead they were able to continue to vote to strip the individual mandate from the ACA in a terrible tax bill and sentence potentially thousands upon thousands of Americans to death via lack of basic health care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

SS is easy to fix, just lift the cap.

Medicare is hosed no matter what unless the cost increases slow.

You can't have one area of the budget growing at a rate 3-4x the overall economic growth rate forever.

Eliminating the SS cap would cost be about $6k more per year, which I would be fine with, but we really need to start taxing passive/non-wage income for SS and Medicare.

Slugworth posted:

There are parts of the county where homes half that price have tax bills over $10k.

• Locked thread