Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

The trick is as always to paint squads in groups of 10, slog it out and then ‘treat’ yourself with a character/vehicle whatever.

Source: 4 Guard armies painted over the last 15 years or so.

Some good podcasts or audio books helps

The trick is to give yourself a deadline so that you can stay motivated panic at the last moment and still get something done.

Source: The only armies I ever finished were before tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The trick is to give yourself a deadline so that you can stay motivated panic at the last moment and still get something done.

Oh boy do I have some deadlines coming up for me soon.

Are we doing a summer goonmeet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thundercloud posted:

I say yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Normally I paint a squad at a time, but with my Death Guard I'm actually going to try significantly smaller batches. I'll get the squad base coated and then do three or four Plague Marines to completion and switch out to the same number of Poxwalkers. Then either back to P.M.s or some Plaguebearers. Hopefully that will be better for avoiding burnout.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is also good advice.

Nothing like the Adrenalin and anxiety of a 3am painting session.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since i missed the chance on adepticon I'm on a less concrete deadline of jan 17th since then I'll have painted everything I'm taking week to week in the space of 6 months.

Got cleanup on my predator and to finish off the anniversary sergeant and a custom bolter lieutenant so its looking good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I paint manically, turning stuff over as fast as possible while still making it look good. I usually have about three projects on the go at once and since I strongly prefer playing games with stuff painted I tend to be cycling through stuff to get it done.

On which note:

How Corrode found his heavy bolters and nearly lost his mind

I posted upthread about looking for a couple of hull heavy bolters for my two Basilisks, since GW for some goddamn reason doesn't include them in the kit. I've been trying to get hold of these for a couple of months, including one of the most bizarre trades I've ever done where a guy turned up over half an hour late for our arranged handover. I'd left the stuff he wanted - some track guards - in the shop for him to collect and assumed he'd do the same. Only after this had happened did he think to tell me that he didn't actually have the bits I asked for, he had some random other stuff which I could totally convert into what I needed! Nothing he'd given was sufficient for this purpose on its own, and the things that might have been useful (the hull heavy flamers to use as a base) I already owned. I would have happily given him the guards anyway, so it's annoying that he messed me about for no purpose.

After that I posted here and a couple other places but no luck. The frustrating thing is that I own like 14 Chimera hulls and most of them have heavy flamers on, so logically I knew I had to have the bitz somewhere. Unfortunately, after a bit of a search, my guess was that the most likely place for them was in here:

That box was a random mix of all kinds of poo poo, from when Corrode of the Past was not really into the hobby but did have a several foot deep pile of sprues to sort out. That loving guy decided to just get the snips out and smash everything into one big box, to be sorted out in the future. Corrode of Today was left holding this particular bag, looking for four small HB parts in a mass of bitz.

I spent two loving hours this evening sorting out the piles of Cities of Death stuff and chucking them into a separate box, since they were the biggest and most obvious impediment - it was a bit like trying to dig through shale with them in there. After a while, I found the more organised bitz boxes I've been doing since I started up again, separated by faction, and started dividing up everything else. I found one hull HB fairly early on, almost by accident. I then spent another loving hour trying to find the second one. They're in two pieces and in the end I had 5 of one side and 1 of the other. I started imagining they were deliberately hiding from me.

Finally I ended up with the below:

And a second pair. Somewhere in the plastic box, three more heavy bolters lurk. For now though, I can make these goddamn Basilisks tournament legal so I can actually take them to the GT, where I'm sure they'll disappoint me anyway.

Organise your bitz, people.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Xarlaxas posted:

Also, I think my post got lost in previous discussions, but here I'll go again:

I have a friend who is interested in starting up Grey Knights, what would be a good investment for the 1000 point mark? It seems they don't have a Start Collecting box. :(
I didn't see anyone respond to this yet. For a core GK force, I'd personally recommend a Nemesis Dreadknight Grandmaster, a Librarian and some Grey Knights in power armor. PA GK are versatile, so he can try fielding them a few different ways (ie strike squads, purgation squads, purifiers, or interceptors) and decide what he wants to use. Then I'd add another Dreadknight or a Land Raider or a Stormraven, according to preference. Then he can build from there depending on what he likes. Draigo and Voldus are good. Terminators are strong but very costly. Grey Knights usually carry a mix of their different melee weapon options. Incinerators and Psilencers are both good choices. Psycannons are fine but a bit overshadowed by Psilencers.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

I could be in for a Summer Goonmeet

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
My Dark Angels test model is complete.

What do you guys think? C&C welcome. Green wise, I am intentionally going for a darker Brusnwick Green color.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 2, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

My Dark Angels test model is complete.

What do you guys think? C&C welcome. Green wise, I am intentionally going for a darker Brusnwick Green color.

I think I would like to see a bit more highlights, especially since at a distance things might get muddled. I like the color.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like the use of the MkIII helmet. The eyes are well done and the white visor is a really nice relief from the green.. Also good to see he's repping Third Company. I think that he needs highlights on the green to be all he can be.. A colour that dark needs the definition along the edges, so even just a single edge highlight would help.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

It's a fool's errand. Even if you do paint the inside, it'll be closed 99% of the time and nobody will ask to see it.

I am a fool

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just glue things shut.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just glue things shut.
:same:

I'll paint the interiors of cockpits before gluing on the canopies, but I'm not wasting my time on tank interiors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

I'll paint the interiors of cockpits before gluing on the canopies, but I'm not wasting my time on tank interiors.

Paint inside of canopy black, paint and clear coat rest of model, glue on canopy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Our LGS had a New Years mini-tournament today, two games at 1000pts which incredibly went for five hours because the organizers had no real, well, organization. There was a great spread of armies: Two Ultramarines, two AdMech, two Death Guard, one Nightlords CSM, one DG/Khorne mix, two Tyranid, one Ork, one Astra Militarum, and one Dark Eldar (whatever they’re called now). I brought two Hive Tyrants, a Malanthrope, three MSU Termagants, a Screamer-Killer, a Harpy, and three Mucolid Spores.

As a way to secure the playtime, I brought the daughter along who helped roll dice and cheer when my stuff died (:mad:). I played a solid Death Guard list and a cookie-cutter AdMech with Cawl, who I had managed not to battle up until this point. Managed to table them both and come in first. AdMech are strangely not as scary as I remember from 7th.

First prize was first pick of a random assortment of items, so I snagged a Tau Stormsurge. I let he daughter pick the second box and she picked a box of Termagants so she could “have her own dinosaurs.”

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 2, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Paint inside of canopy black, paint and clear coat rest of model, glue on canopy.
But then how would I get a sweet clear red canopy on my fire raptor just like Forge World? I mean, look at this:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

jeroti posted:

I tried several times to straighten out Mephistons sword, but the finecast would just end up going back the the curvy shape. Eventually I gave up on it before the sword could break from being heated and straightened then warping over and over.

Seriously, bitch at GW and get a replacement. If they're going to put out an inferior product for their prices, they shouldn't (and don't, to their credit) hesitate to replace it if anything's wrong whatsoever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I did that for my Valkyrie when I built it, and painted the pilots and such. Then when I glued onto the canopy I managed to fog that thing up hardcore with glue. Which was a bit of a bummer. :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I did this with the Land Raider Crusader in my White Panthers army. Even added boltguns just inside the doors. Wouldn't do it on my Chaos armies, though.

In other news, I painted this perfect, slimy, beautiful boy today

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oooh, I love the slime-trail that he's leaving. It's so deliciously :vomarine:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Great job on that fly icon on the robe. Freehanding that on flowing cloth and getting straight lines can be tricky.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

Organise your bitz, people.

I bet Amazon has me flagged due to my hundreds of little plastic baggie and assorted razor blades.

They go from the sprue into a bag, and then I clean and assemble them one at a time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Whats the best way to take apart a glued model. Because I have one that's arm in the wrong way so it does not fit on it's mount.

I heard freezing works if you used Super Glue (which I did) but the guys arm is still not coming off (and I am afraid to pull/push too hard) do I need a colder freezer?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Biostrip 20 isn't only good for stripping paint off models, it also turns super glue into a soft goop that comes off very easily

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

Whats the best way to take apart a glued model. Because I have one that's arm in the wrong way so it does not fit on it's mount.

I heard freezing works if you used Super Glue (which I did) but the guys arm is still not coming off (and I am afraid to pull/push too hard) do I need a colder freezer?

You have a few options. If it's metal then freezing will work really well as it causes the cyanoacrylate to become extremely brittle and fail before the surrounding material. It works best for metal substrates because the metal conducts the temperature better and also has the advantage of being fairly strong. Your alternative is to look at a liquid approach; I recommend a degreaser like Purple Power or I just read about Super Clean. Depending on the plastic it should be okay. Wear gloves, use ventilation, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

Biostrip 20 isn't only good for stripping paint off models, it also turns super glue into a soft goop that comes off very easily

That stuff looks great; is there a way to get it in the US?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Land Raider kit says to not glue the doors. I assume that's for people who want to pin them and flip them open?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

The Land Raider kit says to not glue the doors. I assume that's for people who want to pin them and flip them open?

I would assume so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have a few options. If it's metal then freezing will work really well as it causes the cyanoacrylate to become extremely brittle and fail before the surrounding material. It works best for metal substrates because the metal conducts the temperature better and also has the advantage of being fairly strong. Your alternative is to look at a liquid approach; I recommend a degreaser like Purple Power or I just read about Super Clean. Depending on the plastic it should be okay. Wear gloves, use ventilation, etc.

It is plastic. I should have some degreasers in my house. I will probably try that tomorrow if I can't pull it apart after it spends the night in my colder freezer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any recommendations for UK/EU suppliers of 40k suitable plastic movement trays? I'm thinking of getting some for shoving Plaguebearers and Poxwalkers around.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That stuff looks great; is there a way to get it in the US?

No idea - in Germany I just order it from amazon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Trying to learn positioning, especially on deployment, is messing me up. I rolled a six with a +1 to go first today, my friend stole the initiative, and blew away 1/3rd of my points before I even got to do anything. A whole unit of Genestealers, a Tyrannofex with Rupture Cannon, and a unit of Hive Guard all gone, with my Biovores engaged and unable to shoot. Are there any good YouTube videos on dealing with that stuff?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

The kit is built such that you can open and close the doors. There are a few components that link the doors so they act together.

I'd just glue them shut though.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

What units have Farsight Enclaves traditionally not had access, had restricted, or simply aren't fluffy to take? I'm painting up some Tau now and am looking to avoid doing something as Farsight Enclave that I may not be able to take later once the codex drops.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mef989 posted:

What units have Farsight Enclaves traditionally not had access, had restricted, or simply aren't fluffy to take? I'm painting up some Tau now and am looking to avoid doing something as Farsight Enclave that I may not be able to take later once the codex drops.

Ethereals.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mef989 posted:

The Damocles Campaign books and 7th ed Farsight codex mostly retconned away the holes in the Enclaves' armoury by way of some traitors smuggling designs and shipments of Riptides, Ghostkeels etc.

Traditionally Enclaves never have Ethereals, Vespid or Kroot. They primarily focus on blobs of Fire Warriors backed by close-range geared battlesuits, with fewer Pathfinders and other scout stuff like Pirhanas. If you're gonna convert up the Seven I'd wait, some of them canonicly died at Damocles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

No idea - in Germany I just order it from amazon

Looks like they don't ship to the US. Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like they don't ship to the US. Pity.

Might it be available under a different name? It's so much better than all the toxic poo poo people use to strip domestic paint, it'd be weird if no one in the US were making it.