Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Losing a lead to the Patriots, now there's a super rare thing that can only mean your defensive coordinator is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eric the Mauve posted:

Losing a lead to the Patriots, now there's a super rare thing that can only mean your defensive coordinator is terrible

I hate this sort of thing.

"Oh, theyre a top team so we should just resign ourselves to blowing multiple-score leads to them all the time"

gently caress that noise. What a lovely mentality.

I bet after they lost the AFC championship to the Ravens Belichick wasnt like "hmm, but we win most of the time and theyre a good team". He committed himself to figuring the Ravens out. They blew us out the following season.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Ravens blew a 14 point lead to the Patriots in that game. Twice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

Nah; most of the Seahawks bandwagon fans during their SB run+ were 49ers bandwagon fans in the years prior. They just got more annoying when they became 12s and started cosplaying.

It's also the fair-weather fans digging out their gear now that we might be good again.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You mean the divisional game in 2014. The AFC championship we took the lead in the 2nd half and didnt look back. They only had 13 points. I think Pollard killed Gronkowski in 1st quarter.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

oh come the gently caress on. That first lead was 14-0 at like 10 minutes in. Do you really think it's normal to expect a team to hold a 14-point lead for three quarters against Tom Brady (or hell, any team)? "Welp, the offense scored 14 points. Now let's just sit back and put this one on the defense for the next 50 minutes"

Kawalimus posted:

I hate this sort of thing.

"Oh, theyre a top team so we should just resign ourselves to blowing multiple-score leads to them all the time"

I agree that you shouldn't just roll over and accept it but again, you're putting a lot on Dean Pees' defense in a game where Flacco threw 2 picks, including the one that sealed the game and another earlier on that set the Patriots up in Ravens territory only to see the defense force a punt. Yeah the team shouldn't resign itself to blowing multi-score leads against Brady, but it should also plan to play aggressively on offense with the expectation that the Patriots will be able to score on you.

e: Talking about the 2014 game here

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 2, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
*sigh*

We're doing this again, huh?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
SJ was talking about the Divisional game. That game was so gut wrenching.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Im not really in disagreement about the offense at all. Thats why my criticism comes back to Harbaugh. We have all this good personnel that can beat up the best teams but then blow it with bad decision making and playcalling. And on defense stuff like failing to double antonio brown late to the point he tears us to shreds and and Pees is like "whoops, yeah we shoulda done that i guess"(he really said something like this!).

Then when you criticize h Harbaugh people are like "well Harbaugh doesnt run the defense/offense". So just what the heck *does* the man do? Why cant he be replaced by a guy who is actually knowledgeable and can keep guys in line? And why are people like "well we cant get rid of morninwheg cause then Harbaugh has to break in two coordinators at once". But if hes not involved in running any of these units then what difference does it even make! And I doubt Kubiak and Pagano would need "breaking in" especially since theyve worked here.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You're right.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Coldforge posted:

Nah; most of the Seahawks bandwagon fans during their SB run+ were 49ers bandwagon fans in the years prior. They just got more annoying when they became 12s and started cosplaying.

I bleed eye searing neon green and blue and will do so until my dying breath. It's a serious medical condition send halp.

:hawksin:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's a hot take, there's nothing wrong with bandwagon fans

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Benne posted:

but they're not true scotsmen

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Im not really in disagreement about the offense at all. Thats why my criticism comes back to Harbaugh. We have all this good personnel that can beat up the best teams but then blow it with bad decision making and playcalling. And on defense stuff like failing to double antonio brown late to the point he tears us to shreds and and Pees is like "whoops, yeah we shoulda done that i guess"(he really said something like this!).

Then when you criticize h Harbaugh people are like "well Harbaugh doesnt run the defense/offense". So just what the heck *does* the man do? Why cant he be replaced by a guy who is actually knowledgeable and can keep guys in line? And why are people like "well we cant get rid of morninwheg cause then Harbaugh has to break in two coordinators at once". But if hes not involved in running any of these units then what difference does it even make! And I doubt Kubiak and Pagano would need "breaking in" especially since theyve worked here.

I just wanted to say thank you for letting the Bills into the playoffs.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Kawalimus posted:

Except everything in that post is in earnest. Pees was trash. He was our Dom Capers. .

Sir, I have cheered for a team coached by Dom Capers. I saw former players who went on to the pro bowl after mediocrity under Dom Capers. Dom Capers was an incredibly lovely defensive coordinator.

Pees is no Dom Capers.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Bandwagon fans are people experiencing joy through sports, nothing wrong with that. It’s the people who sit through miserable, boring, futile seasons and self-righteously laud themselves for fandom purity who are truly insufferable. Except Browns fans, they’ve earned that martyrdom.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Bandwagon fans are people experiencing joy through sports, nothing wrong with that. It’s the people who sit through miserable, boring, futile seasons and self-righteously laud themselves for fandom purity who are truly insufferable. Except Browns fans, they’ve earned that martyrdom.

12s are insufferably smug though and the seahawks' continued shittiness makes them all run away and not post here any more which is a good thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axeil posted:

12s are insufferably smug though and the seahawks' continued shittiness makes them all run away and not post here any more which is a good thing.

Yeah

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh come the gently caress on. That first lead was 14-0 at like 10 minutes in. Do you really think it's normal to expect a team to hold a 14-point lead for three quarters against Tom Brady (or hell, any team)? "Welp, the offense scored 14 points. Now let's just sit back and put this one on the defense for the next 50 minutes"
e: Talking about the 2014 game here

At least the Pats lost a first round pick and are forever disgraced by that game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MrLogan posted:

At least the Pats lost a first round pick and are forever disgraced by that game.

Yeah it really stings at this point laffo

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

MrLogan posted:

Wasn't that the game in which John Harbaugh yelled at the refs because his little brain melted after the Patriots used the same trick play Alabama used against LSU, drew a penalty because of it and than got together with another AFC small brain (Ryan Grigson) to start Deflategate?

Oh and later that offseason, after the Patriots won the Super Bowl the NFL changed the rules so that small brains no longer have to deal with this trick play.

Another highlight of that game: Edelman to Amendola for a 51yard TD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZorFWMalTY

It's one of my favorite post season games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's nothing wrong with bandwagon fans who just lose interest when the team isn't great. It's a small subset of bandwagon fans who carry on acting like they've been diehard loyal fans through thick and thin but if you talk to them it becomes immediately clear they can only name 4 players on the current team much less the team that sucked 5 years ago, those guys are unbelievably obnoxious

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think there is also nothing wrong with not following sports teams while they are actively trying to be not good. This isn't really a problem in the NFL, where actively tanking is pretty rare, but it's fine to ignore your favorite NBA/MLB team that is in some dreadful rebuild period.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
As much as I love what the Astros did, their success these past few seasons has been the catalyst for a lot of really lovely decisions and "Trust the Process" strategies that ignore that the Astros did what they did in large part because of necessity, having an almost completely barren farm system when the team changed hands. I believe that the fetishization of draft picks in the NFL over the past few years has ironically tipped the scales back toward veterans, where the "moneyball" approach is now getting solid veterans at firesale rates from teams desperately trying to tank their way to the top of the draft order or unload even medium-size contracts off their roster. It's kind of a miracle that buffalo made the playoffs this season but almost every player they unloaded during the offseason is on a playoff team right now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

axeil posted:

I don't post here anymore because I moved to California and all the games are God awful early and I refuse to pay for cable. So when I do watch a game it's from the bar with real people. Or i buy cheap rams tickets and go to games.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Why do people care about bandwagon fans though? Who really cares if someone jumps team and pretends to be diehard fan. That doesn't and shouldn't effect you.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Wasn't that the game in which John Harbaugh yelled at the refs because his little brain melted after the Patriots used the same trick play Alabama used against LSU, drew a penalty because of it and than got together with another AFC small brain (Ryan Grigson) to start Deflategate?

Oh and later that offseason, after the Patriots won the Super Bowl the NFL changed the rules so that small brains no longer have to deal with this trick play.

Another highlight of that game: Edelman to Amendola for a 51yard TD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZorFWMalTY

It's one of my favorite post season games.

This is another reason I hate Harbaugh. What a dimwit!! He was outcoached and couldnt handle it. Also when he ran Heap back out on the field in like 2010 and he collapsed. I wanted him fired right then and there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

This is another reason I hate Harbaugh. What a dimwit!! He was outcoached and couldnt handle it. Also when he ran Heap back out on the field in like 2010 and he collapsed. I wanted him fired right then and there.

But then he wasn't and the team won a championship

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's nothing wrong with bandwagon fans who just lose interest when the team isn't great. It's a small subset of bandwagon fans who carry on acting like they've been diehard loyal fans through thick and thin but if you talk to them it becomes immediately clear they can only name 4 players on the current team much less the team that sucked 5 years ago, those guys are unbelievably obnoxious

Naming players from a bad team is a way higher standard than you’re giving it credit for. Bad teams tend to have a lot more turnover, both year-over-year as free agents don’t pan out and even game-after-game because the coaches keep trying new things. When the 49ers were great, I could rattle off almost all the starters. When they fell apart... I mean, so many of those guys were just bodies, and maybe I knew who they were then, but why would I still remember them now? It’s obsessive on the same level as knowing all your team’s 6th-round picks.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

But then he wasn't and the team won a championship

No they didnt. They havent made the playoffs since.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

No they didnt. They havent made the playoffs since.

...since 2010?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CyberPingu posted:

Why do people care about bandwagon fans though? Who really cares if someone jumps team and pretends to be diehard fan. That doesn't and shouldn't effect you.

Football is suffering and I resent those who aren't as miserable as I am

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think there is also nothing wrong with not following sports teams while they are actively trying to be not good. This isn't really a problem in the NFL, where actively tanking is pretty rare, but it's fine to ignore your favorite NBA/MLB team that is in some dreadful rebuild period.

agreed, also because when you have a season that's 82+ games in other sports, you can afford to miss more poo poo than in the NFL, where you get one game a week for 16 weeks and that's it, unless you make it to the postseason

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

...since 2010?

Those were two different things. The Heap incident(arguably worse) was in 2010, the dimwit incident was 2014. I meant the latter.

That was also around the time the Ravens offensive braintrust of Cameron and Harbaugh(in that order) decided that Todd Heap was best used as a blocker, something he had never been known for doing. No surprise that was his last year here.

We were the best team in the league in 2010. I predicted 14-2 going into the season. We didnt even win the division and lost in the 2nd round, in a game where we blew a 14 pt lead, surprise surprise

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 2, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kawalimus posted:

We were the best team in the league in 2010. I predicted 14-2 going into the season. We didnt even win the division and lost in the 2nd round, in a game where we blew a 14 pt lead, surprise surprise

:thunk:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rjmccall posted:

Naming players from a bad team is a way higher standard than you’re giving it credit for. Bad teams tend to have a lot more turnover, both year-over-year as free agents don’t pan out and even game-after-game because the coaches keep trying new things. When the 49ers were great, I could rattle off almost all the starters. When they fell apart... I mean, so many of those guys were just bodies, and maybe I knew who they were then, but why would I still remember them now? It’s obsessive on the same level as knowing all your team’s 6th-round picks.

Not to mention being able to name all the players on a team from every year for several decades is more like high functioning autism than fandom. Waaaaaait a second...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My following of the Phillies the past few years has been "they're bad, I do not want to watch this", maybe knowing a few players' names and cheering for Chase Utley in LA.

CyberPingu posted:

It's a number of things.

A certain type of bandwagoning, where you don't care and then follow is okay. But what isn't okay is that combined with unrelenting poo poo-talking and then not sticking around to eat crow when you're back to sucking. I hate poo poo-talking in general because it's juvenile as gently caress since nothing any of us do will impact how our teams play but it's slightly more okay when you've been a fan of a team for 20 years and know their history inside and out.

Alternatively, fans who constantly jump from popular team to popular team or pick teams because they're popular as an adult are also annoying because they have no loyalty. I mean if they do that and then don't claim to be long-suffering its fine, but it's always the team-jumpers who cry about how hard it's been for say the Astros when 5 years ago they were ardent Rangers fans.

edit: and bandwagoning on uber-popular teams is really irritating because most hardcore fans of a sport have already gotten sick of the Yankees/Red Sox, Pats/Steelers, Warriors, etc. and would appreciate other teams getting some time in the sun.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 2, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bet y'all thought there'd be less Ravens and Seahawks chat since they didn't make the playoffs :getin:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^tbf this isnt the playoff thread. I imagine this thread is usually gonna be filled with fans of teams who just missed the playoffs.

Cause we blew a game to the Patriots and Steelers, both of which we had a lead in. Also we never performed to our potential. We had Boldin, Mason, Houshmandzadeh and Heap as receivers, and Rice at RB when he was still good. Our pass D was abysmal thanks to injuries(I believe) and Mattison. We should have steamrolled the league that year but we couldnt even take the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

rjmccall posted:

I mean, so many of those guys were just bodies, and maybe I knew who they were then, but why would I still remember them now? It’s obsessive on the same level as knowing all your team’s 6th-round picks.

...are you subtweeting me?

• Locked thread