Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Edison was a dick posted:

Maybe the game hates you for using homophobic insults.
Your luck just sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7C0vd-L5lg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's not funny.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ah yes. South Park. That well known arbiter of the meaning of words that doesn't at all take liberties for the sake of an edgy joke.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Are there any big downsides to borrowing money from the Jews? Aside from the debt and my bishops not liking me, I mean.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any big downsides to borrowing money from the Jews? Aside from the debt and my bishops not liking me, I mean.

Mostly opportunity cost. If you forget to pay it back then you can't do it when a war is going on longer than you expected and need to pay your mercenaries.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Being born in the purple only gives a child preference on the Empire title, right? Everything else that I create will go to the firstborn?

Incidentally, how do I kill remove the little bastard from the line of succession? Does making him a Patrician still work?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Edison was a dick posted:

Mostly opportunity cost. If you forget to pay it back then you can't do it when a war is going on longer than you expected and need to pay your mercenaries.

Yeah the question about borrowing money from the Jews is less "if" and more "when". The penalties for having the debt are extremely minor and manageable (bishops not liking you means you won't get taxes/levy from them, but you can always set up an antipope), and there's no time limit on paying it back, so the only reason not to do it is that you might need the sudden influx of cash later for something more important. Generally you don't want to use it for non-immediate costs like building stuff; you want to use it for mercenaries - either to hire them to make a sudden strike against a large opponent that's currently weak and you can't afford to wait to raise the money through taxes, or if you've already got mercenaries raised and you're about to go into the negatives and can't just dismiss them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

herr posted:

So I've been reading an old tutorial LP which is definitely out of date, trying to get started with the base game in Ireland. I'm trying to do that whole medieval eugenics thing, and the guide suggests finding spouses with good hereditary traits, but I've only been able to see one listed ever and it was Harelip. Are Genius and Quick out of the game, or am I locked behind a DLC or something?

What's the best course of action for initial eugenics nowadays?

The addition of diplomatic range a few DLCs back means that your selection is more limited than it used to be. The genetic traits are also fairly rare, and a lot of the women in the game are already married. If you see one show up, that's great, but it's not uncommon for none to be available. Don't worry too much about eugenics in your first game; you can always start it later, and the Conclave education changes made it much more difficult to raise a lineage of consistent superhumans anyway.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You have to pay back more than you borrowed, so it essentially costs you 50 gold. Also, you can only have one loan out at a time, so if you spend it and then need more, you don't have that option anymore.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 30, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the question about borrowing money from the Jews is less "if" and more "when". The penalties for having the debt are extremely minor and manageable (bishops not liking you means you won't get taxes/levy from them, but you can always set up an antipope), and there's no time limit on paying it back, so the only reason not to do it is that you might need the sudden influx of cash later for something more important. Generally you don't want to use it for non-immediate costs like building stuff; you want to use it for mercenaries - either to hire them to make a sudden strike against a large opponent that's currently weak and you can't afford to wait to raise the money through taxes, or if you've already got mercenaries raised and you're about to go into the negatives and can't just dismiss them.

Brilliant. I used the cash to buy some mercs and conquer my next door neighbor, so I'm now king of two spots in Ireland instead of one.

...Immediately after the war my king died at the age of 53 and his 26~ year old son has cancer and a 7 year old heir so I'm probably screwed, but... heck, it's an interesting start. :D

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Nah that's not so dire. If you give cancer man one of the Focuses that bumps his health a little hopefully he hangs in long enough for whatever regency you end up with not being very long. A few years of regency isn't the end of the world anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

evenworse username posted:

Nah that's not so dire. If you give cancer man one of the Focuses that bumps his health a little hopefully he hangs in long enough for whatever regency you end up with not being very long. A few years of regency isn't the end of the world anyway.

He's actually surviving long enough to have another kid, win another county, and read up on Alexander the Great! Unfortunately his sons have garbage stats, but oh well.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Expansionist Jurchen China is a bit OP in my game... they just tributized the Muslim Hispania, HRE, France and Sweden... after helping me implode the Byzantine Empire.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Children get more stats naturally as they grow up... and such.

Also you are ireland so you can't benefit from getting your wife from china for sweet sweet stats and more common genetic buffs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I totally forgot those intrigue decisions existed. Makes sense now that I think about it, when you're playing some dumb small time ruler that only one or two characters will even deign to accept an invitation to your court, or if it's right at the start of the game and the extra characters haven't been populated yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Main Paineframe posted:

The addition of diplomatic range a few DLCs back means that your selection is more limited than it used to be. The genetic traits are also fairly rare, and a lot of the women in the game are already married. If you see one show up, that's great, but it's not uncommon for none to be available. Don't worry too much about eugenics in your first game; you can always start it later, and the Conclave education changes made it much more difficult to raise a lineage of consistent superhumans anyway.

Unless you're in the East and have access to the Hermetics. I had a guy take over my empire with Learning 3. I switched to the +3 focus, which enabled my Eastern artifacts for enough bonuses to take him up to 10. Then I joined the Hermetics and five Magnum Opuses kicked in. I think he peaked at 38 Learning.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's 1070 and the world looks like this:

The Byzantines are, realistically, the only realm that are a serious threat, but at their peak with a competent ruler, they can call on ~75k troops. I'm the HRE and next, on 46k troops.
But, the Basileus just got kicked out via a civil war (I think they had 3, consecutively), an 8 year old is on the throne and my Emperor has a minor claim to the Byzantine Empire.
This is probably going to be the biggest war I've ever had in CK2 and, as I've said before, I've logged over 1600 hours in the game.

[EDIT]
Well, that was underwhelming. I sieged about half of Corsica down and the Basileus surrendered.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kingturnip posted:

It's 1070 and the world looks like this:

The Byzantines are, realistically, the only realm that are a serious threat, but at their peak with a competent ruler, they can call on ~75k troops. I'm the HRE and next, on 46k troops.
But, the Basileus just got kicked out via a civil war (I think they had 3, consecutively), an 8 year old is on the throne and my Emperor has a minor claim to the Byzantine Empire.
This is probably going to be the biggest war I've ever had in CK2 and, as I've said before, I've logged over 1600 hours in the game.

[EDIT]
Well, that was underwhelming. I sieged about half of Corsica down and the Basileus surrendered.

Ain't that always they way.

Next up you get into what seems like a puny war for some border barony of no real consequence, and instead of the 3,200 men you expected to deploy and lose maybe 600 of, you lose 80,000, set off five simultaneous revolts and civil wars, go through four rulers until an inbred queen takes the throne (She will live to be 90), and lose half the empire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What are the circumstances required for "Germany" to form? Just not being part of the HRE when it's formed?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
A fleeing Chinese general invaded Byzantium, creating this monstrosity. It only lasted a few years, though. Apparently, the middle kingdom takes offense to anyone but them using the Chinese imperial government type and they invaded and destroyed the title leaving the area utterly balkanized.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

What are the circumstances required for "Germany" to form? Just not being part of the HRE when it's formed?

And not ruled by the Karling dynasty.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I picked this game and all DLC up during the thanksgiving sale period and have been enjoying it so far. Played one run with start date 769 as Charlemagne and made it until about 1250 or so before my dynasty was snuffed out essentially due to too many held duchies since I didn't understand the mechanic at the time.

Now I started a new run as Karloman I and have been doing much better since I've figured out many of the mechanics but there one of the problems I have now is that somewhere along the way as I was expanding the Frankish empire I picked up the title of emperor of Hispania so every time I died the empires were divided between my sons if I had more than 1. I thought switching to primogeniture would solve that issue but it still happens and it's getting tiresome to reconquer Hispania after each death. I wanted to try and destroy the title but the game says I can't because of gavelkind succession? I double checked and I still have primogeniture, any advice?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Empire of Hispania is probably still under gavelkind, even if your main title is not. If you own multiple empires you might have to change the inheritance laws separately. Go to the laws section and there should be flags for your various empires/kingdoms, clicking on Hispania's will show you the inheritance laws for it.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Wow, that was it, thanks. Now i just have to get the council of my current leader to accept the change again. Time for some good ol' bribin' and killin'

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So in my Israel game my current ruler is the Antichrist. He's a strong genius with all his stats in the 20s except learning which is a whopping 50 thanks to a treasury bursting at the seams with magnum opuses and Chinese artifacts on top of his own naturally high learning.

I really want this dude to become immortal but the event hasn't fired and besides I've never had it succeed. But man this guy is loving amazing. On top of it all every time he gets sick his pappy Satan cures him without me doing a drat thing. I took him out of the satanics to go hermetic when he took over so it's not me using dark healing. Just every time he gets sick a window pops up saying his unnatural strength has cured him.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So one big reason I've been super slow at pitching in on an After the End update or writing stuff for my lp is because I've gotten distracted with another project, but it's a big one and it's time I asked for help with it.

Several people have mentioned working on their own Late Antiquity/Early Medieval projects here, and I've had a go at such a project before-- waaay back in 2012 I released a shoddy mod about the Fall of Rome, but then I was out of the country for a couple months and couldn't successfully compatch the thing after I returned, so the project died. Since then, I've cannibalized a few pieces for various other projects (some of the flags in the Gothic LP are from that old mod), but I've never really stopped thinking about remaking the Fall of Rome mod.

Recently, I finally started to act on those thoughts, and I've begun slowly redoing the entire project from the ground up. A lot of de jure remapping has been done, and a decent chunk (but far from all) of title histories have been written (thanks, PLRE!). Government types have also been retooled a bit, and there's now a nice CB specifically for overthrowing the Western Roman Emperor and becoming the King of Italy.

WIP, of course.

But working solo means that progress is going at a snail's pace, and there's so much left to do! There's a ton of titles to still sort through, including just mapping out enough of the late 5th century to fill in the vanilla CK2 map with peoples and tribes, and there's loads of events and decisions and fine details to still work out (There's nothing written pertaining to the Rise of Islam yet, for example). If any of you guys are still interested in working on a project focused on the period, give me a shout. I'd love to collaborate with folks and get something working and polished.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Where's the Gara... nah, never mind. That looks neat, and frankly I'd rather play something you've made than the bloated mess that is WtWSMS who are currently planning on massively reworking their map. I'd love to offer help, but I'm not that good at modding, I've only done some bare minimal work.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

Where's the Gara... nah, never mind. That looks neat, and frankly I'd rather play something you've made than the bloated mess that is WtWSMS who are currently planning on massively reworking their map. I'd love to offer help, but I'm not that good at modding, I've only done some bare minimal work.
Once it's in a more-developed state, even just some basic gameplay and design critiques would be very much welcomed, and help shape further work on it.

And being honest, seeing WtWSMS pop up on the Steam Workshop was a big motivator in kicking this project into a higher gear.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

As long as you add a Belisarius bookmark /s

Also what is the opinion on the HIP mod? I decided to use it and can't really decide if I like it more or not, I do kinda like abstracting out the majority of India, because it usually just tends to blob anyway and be un-interesting. It seems like the trade-off they make is they cut down alot on the eastern part of the map, as Tibet/Steppe/India are cut down, but more provinces added to the Sahara & Europe.

I decided to end my ironman persia run, because the Zoroastrian Church title never formed, and my emperor ended up captured in battle in a tributary war by some random count, and spent 40 years of his 70 year lifespan rotting in the dungeon. Trying to re-do it in HIP has been easier... the Abbasids had a hilarious Kharjiite civil war, between some powerful vassals, while I slowly ate up Dylam and Persia from the inside as the Bavdanids... as I kept backing the winner... they also kept handing me more vassals which was hilarious.

"Shah Rostam might be a infidel... but at least he isn't a Kharjite/Sunni heretic and is on my side"!

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 1, 2018

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

You think you've seen it all, then a deposed charlemagne becomes pope.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 2, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Once it's in a more-developed state, even just some basic gameplay and design critiques would be very much welcomed, and help shape further work on it.

And being honest, seeing WtWSMS pop up on the Steam Workshop was a big motivator in kicking this project into a higher gear.
How are ya gonna handle the empty parts of the map? Like the Nordics?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How are ya gonna handle the empty parts of the map? Like the Nordics?
I've just flat-out disabled Iceland, but people definitely lived in Scandinavia proper. I got 4 stages for tackling that:
  1. If there's a figure and a group named in an actual historical source, put that person and that group where they belong. (This applies nowhere in Scandinavia as far as I can tell.)
  2. If there's a decent legend or saga that names a person who's not blatantly bogus (i.e. isn't just named "Wotan") and connects that person with a place and a tribe, pin them down in the approximately appropriate location. (Basically, map out Beowulf.)
  3. If there's no known figures for the right period, be they historically attested or just legendary, but a tribe can be figured out either through etymologies or some historical document that names a tribe but not its leader, make up a dude, connect it to the tribe and slap it down where it seems to fit.
  4. If there's no known figure and no known tribe, make something that mechanically fits whatever is known historically. I know Scandinavia didn't coalesce into a unified empire circa 500, so anything made up to fill in the gaps shouldn't able to conquer everything else, if left to AI control. Likewise, northern Russia is poorly known at this time, but when it emerged into the historical record centuries later, it was inhabited by small tribes with no traces of previously belonging to a large centralized empire. Whatever is put down in northern Russia shouldn't lend itself to the rapid development of a large centralized blob, so I'll probably end up making a bunch of small, weak tribes that will struggle to conquer anything else and snowball into trouble.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Jack2142 posted:

As long as you add a Belisarius bookmark /s

Also what is the opinion on the HIP mod? I decided to use it and can't really decide if I like it more or not, I do kinda like abstracting out the majority of India, because it usually just tends to blob anyway and be un-interesting. It seems like the trade-off they make is they cut down alot on the eastern part of the map, as Tibet/Steppe/India are cut down, but more provinces added to the Sahara & Europe.

I decided to end my ironman persia run, because the Zoroastrian Church title never formed, and my emperor ended up captured in battle in a tributary war by some random count, and spent 40 years of his 70 year lifespan rotting in the dungeon. Trying to re-do it in HIP has been easier... the Abbasids had a hilarious Kharjiite civil war, between some powerful vassals, while I slowly ate up Dylam and Persia from the inside as the Bavdanids... as I kept backing the winner... they also kept handing me more vassals which was hilarious.

"Shah Rostam might be a infidel... but at least he isn't a Kharjite/Sunni heretic and is on my side"!

HIP is great, IMO. I find the character interface mod ugly but that’s the great thing about optional mods: being able to turn the parts you don’t like off. People say that SMWH is too :spergin: but personally I think it adds a lot, even if the cultures and having the titles be in their native language is a little much.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soup du Jour posted:

HIP is great, IMO. I find the character interface mod ugly but that’s the great thing about optional mods: being able to turn the parts you don’t like off. People say that SMWH is too :spergin: but personally I think it adds a lot, even if the cultures and having the titles be in their native language is a little much.

I changed out the interface mod for vanilla and I like it alot more now. I think that was my big issue of being too used to the original interface that the new one kept throwing me off.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I'm trying to do Aladdin starting in Charles time. Without changing religion either :shepicide:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that all the raiding mechanics were designed with vikings in mind, but it sure sucks when I go on a foot raid to a nice catholic neighborhood, and siege down castles to find 0 dollars of loot.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
If you don't have boats to carry the raider's loot, it has to be from a neighboring county. Otherwise there's no way to transport the gold.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ofaloaf posted:

WIP, of course.

Fuckin' sweet, dude. What time frame/bookmarks are you thinking?

I've been playing the Winter King mod lately and spent a lot of time at work reading Wikipedia articles about doing academic research about what was going on in the rest of Europe at the same time. Like someone said above, I'd love to help make this happen but I think my only real skill is Frankensteining together ridiculous cultural melting pots. Hiberno-Aramaic? Norse-Levantine? Cornish-Ethiopian? Uh, yes please.

EDIT: Oh, the one modding thing I actually can do is portrait mix-and-matching, like if you want a Romano-British culture to have Celtic faces, Greek clothing, and Italian hats, or whatever.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 2, 2018

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that all the raiding mechanics were designed with vikings in mind, but it sure sucks when I go on a foot raid to a nice catholic neighborhood, and siege down castles to find 0 dollars of loot.

Basically raid your neighbors, sieging down a castle should still get you the cash from winning the siege at a minimum, alternatively... RAID CHINA

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Hey so just curious, any of you guys gotten the Zoroastrian Holy "Dog" kind of events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

RAID CHINA

So... How would one do this?

• Locked thread