Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fabricated posted:

get ready for most of your youtube people that bother to comment on youtube drama being really hot and bothered because Paul Logan (Vine retard) decided it'd be a good idea to go to the "suicide forest" in Japan and film himself next to the hanging corpse of a suicide victim

Ahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the worst thing I've ever seen.
:nws: :nms: cuz of dead bodies and stuff, but just the reaction is so odd. At first it seems sincere. And then it cuts to something that should not have been filmed so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPz3Ggujju8

"This was supposed to be fun! A joke! We just wanted to have fun in the suicide forest!!"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

get ready for most of your youtube people that bother to comment on youtube drama being really hot and bothered because Paul Logan (Vine retard) decided it'd be a good idea to go to the "suicide forest" in Japan and film himself next to the hanging corpse of a suicide victim

I was wondering what that was all about. That dude is broken and is probably enjoying all the attention he is getting. I suspect this won't be the last time some dipshit does something terrible for the clicks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can tell from the thumbnail that I never want to see or read about that guy again and hope he gets into deep legal trouble over what he did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

I can tell from the thumbnail that I never want to see or read about that guy again and hope he gets into deep legal trouble over what he did.

If he didn't face any real repercussions for basically destroying his neighborhood with a giant out of control house party, he never will unless he like films himself strangling another person to death or something, and even then I'd wouldn't hold my breath because justice doesn't exist in the US.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

If he didn't face any real repercussions for basically destroying his neighborhood with a giant out of control house party, he never will unless he like films himself strangling another person to death or something, and even then I'd wouldn't hold my breath because justice doesn't exist in the US.

Except he did this in Japan. :getin:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the primary worry after you know, doing something disgusting like uploading film of yourself next to a dude who committed suicide- is that since Paul Logan is basically a PewDiePie tier e-celeb he might gently caress Youtube up even further re: advertisers like how Pewds is blamed for all the demonetization/ad-revenue drops resulting from advertisers bailing on the platform

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fabricated posted:

the primary worry after you know, doing something disgusting like uploading film of yourself next to a dude who committed suicide- is that since Paul Logan is basically a PewDiePie tier e-celeb he might gently caress Youtube up even further re: advertisers like how Pewds is blamed for all the demonetization/ad-revenue drops resulting from advertisers bailing on the platform

Again, this should be incentive for platforms like YouTube and Twitter, et al. to take a pressure washer to the most blatantly toxic elements of their platforms like the Paul Logans and Pewdiepies and Mike Cernovichs so they're not as radioactive to advertisers and investors. But, you know, freeze peach. Look how well that Chernobyl elephant's foot Voat is doing in ad bucks.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except he did this in Japan. :getin:
https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/arrest-of-a-u-s-citizen/

quote:

Bail
Bail is the exception rather than the rule in Japan and is virtually unheard of for foreigners. If you are arrested in Japan you will in all likelihood remain in jail until you are indicted or released. Suspects are usually kept at the local jail where they were arrested and generally eat the same Japanese style food as the other prisoners.

Prosecutors in Japan generally do not take a case to trial unless they are convinced they can win, and about a quarter of all cases are dropped prior to indictment. However, after indictment, the conviction rate in Japan is over 99%

Forgive me for being a sadist but I'm gonna love seeing his rear end in prison.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think it's right to call any game that needs mods to be good a "decent"

What about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines?

Fabricated posted:

I was about to say, "Well, now I finally know why people hate Paul Logan," until I realized I was thinking of Jake Paul.

drat it, I told myself I wasn't going to follow this thread anymore!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

What about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines?

I was about to say, "Well, now I finally know why people hate Paul Logan," until I realized I was thinking of Jake Paul.

drat it, I told myself I wasn't going to follow this thread anymore!

That's his brother, so you were basically right

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

They're brothers :ssh:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can you imagine a Goblin-scored Star Wars movie?

Opening crawl music, but tune is to-- instead of Philharmonic Orchestra-- Goblin's lead singer going "LA la la la Laaa Laaaa---"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

lornekates posted:

Opening crawl music, but tune is to-- instead of Philharmonic Orchestra-- Goblin's lead singer going "LA la la la Laaa Laaaa---"

Imagine Neil Young scoring a Star War like he did Dead Man

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Annointed posted:

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/arrest-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Forgive me for being a sadist but I'm gonna love seeing his rear end in prison.
the reason the Japanese prosecutors are so successful is that they didn't have a jury system until this last decade, and culturally/legally confessions are treated as absolutely 100% iron-clad.

Also the police have a habit of confining you and kicking the poo poo out of you until you sign a confession

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fabricated posted:

the reason the Japanese prosecutors are so successful is that they didn't have a jury system until this last decade, and culturally/legally confessions are treated as absolutely 100% iron-clad.

Also the police have a habit of confining you and kicking the poo poo out of you until you sign a confession

So basically everything you need to know about the Japanese legal system you can learn in the first hour of Phoenix Wright and Persona 5, respectively? Good to know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ace Attorney was meant as a biting satire of the legal system in Japan.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, this should be incentive for platforms like YouTube and Twitter, et al. to take a pressure washer to the most blatantly toxic elements of their platforms like the Paul Logans and Pewdiepies and Mike Cernovichs so they're not as radioactive to advertisers and investors. But, you know, freeze peach. Look how well that Chernobyl elephant's foot Voat is doing in ad bucks.
I think it's less "freeze peach" (just say free speech btw) and more the same problem that Twitter has is that they don't want to pay the money necessary to hire live human beings to moderate/review content and deal with the users in a sufficient manner. Google will tweak algorithms a zillion times before they spend what they need to on a platform that as far as I know doesn't make them actual money.

Same for Twitter. Twitter already doesn't make money. They're unwilling to spend money to do what is necessary to moderate the content on their service- content which is garbage because they never bothered to cultivate a good community in the first place.

nine-gear crow posted:

So basically everything you need to know about the Japanese legal system you can learn in the first hour of Phoenix Wright and Persona 5, respectively? Good to know.
Phoenix Wright is a legit almost unironic commentary on the pre-jury Japanese justice system. Prosecutors have incredible reach and power, defense attorneys don't, and the police and prosecution are even more joined at the hip than they are in the US. Most defense attorneys will simply ask you politely to confess.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 2, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

Yea I don't like him and gently caress this guy for doing this but lol gently caress the Japanese justice system the only thing making it less evil than ours is we have WAY more gusto about ours.

I don't think it's illegal to film in the forest though, is it? It's just a gross, terrible, way to behave that no adult should NEED to be told not do.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I don't like him and gently caress this guy for doing this but lol gently caress the Japanese justice system the only thing making it less evil than ours is we have WAY more gusto about ours.

I don't think it's illegal to film in the forest though, is it? It's just a gross, terrible, way to behave that no adult should NEED to be told not do.
I dunno if it's illegal to film in the forest but so many people commit suicide there the place is blanketed in "please don't kill yourself people do care about you here are some numbers to call" signs, so it wouldn't surprise me if the gov't did something to police the place more than usual.

If I recall something like 80-100 people on average kill themselves in that forest PER YEAR. That's a lot of loving people for a single forest.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it wouldn't be terribly shocking if there was something in place there to REALLY drive home 'please stop killing yourselves in this forest, you have to stop'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Luckily Youtube surely isn't putting their name TOO overtly behind such an already unhinged guy, right?

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/948041062072946689

aw beans

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nine-gear crow posted:

i mean one of the dudes what founded twitter is a huge cernovich fan so lmao

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Note that Japanese culture doesn't really view suicide the same way our culture does. It's a complicated subject. Suicide prevention is a thing in Japan, but a significant portion of the population views it as a personal choice, and there are polls which show a significant number of people agree that suicide in some cases is the "responsible thing to do." Suicide hotlines who advertise up there actually sometimes get very angry calls from people yelling at them saying that they shouldn't be telling people not to kill themselves because that's a choice the suicidal individual should make for themselves. This legitimately does extend back, in part, to a somewhat unhealthy romanticization of old bushido honor suicide stuff, but also because since Japan is a more collectivist culture, a lot of people feel an immense amount of pressure to remove themselves if they feel they've "failed" their families, friends, or society in some way (such as being unemployed or untalented or chronically ill).

On the other hand, Japan does view the prevalence of suicide as a legitimate social issue on a more population-wide level. Suicide rates are high and increasing. In general, suicide is seen as sort of a public crisis in that they lament the fact that their cultural and economic situation is driving so many people to suicide, but on an individual level, it's not necessarily viewed as something wrong. (But of course, Japan isn't a monolithic block of people, more and more people are starting to view it as always a bad thing, but there are still a significant number of those people who are really fervent about it sometimes being the right thing).

That said, I have no idea on the specific laws governing things like gauchely filming in Aokigahara. But yes, there are targeted suicide prevention efforts there.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good brief overview of the subject, but it goes a lot deeper than this.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 2, 2018

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

CelticPredator posted:

This is the worst thing I've ever seen.
:nws: :nms: cuz of dead bodies and stuff, but just the reaction is so odd. At first it seems sincere. And then it cuts to something that should not have been filmed so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPz3Ggujju8

"This was supposed to be fun! A joke! We just wanted to have fun in the suicide forest!!"

There are so many layers of gross to this I know I'm getting irrationally angry but what the gently caress.

1. Why did "let's have a fun joke time in a suicide hotspot" even enter someone's mind?
2. Why did multiple people (there appear to be at least four "tourists" in the video) hear this idea and independently think this was a good idea?

All right. Okay. Maybe some people are far enough removed from suicide that they think of it as a giant spooky outdoor haunted house. Maybe. Fine, you go to do the thing. From personal experience I know that you aren't in a good, rational headspace in that kind of situation, so I can't get mad at their actions when they actually found the body. But I will get mad at them uploading the video itself later. If you have to share the experience, maybe tell it verbally after the fact, include all your "suicide is not a joke" disclaimers, don't just post a dead body (even blurred) to YouTube! Why is empathy so loving hard on the internet?

Thank you for the info and the link, by the way.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The only reason why you would even consider filming in Aokigahara is if you're doing it it have an extremely candid talk about mental health and suicide and are using it as a somber talking point.
That's literally the only reason I can think of a person wanting to film there.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Anyway, I'm going to make this my for real last post in the thread,

So, just so I know from a mod perspective, that takes care of everything?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

The only reason why you would even consider filming in Aokigahara is if you're doing it it have an extremely candid talk about mental health and suicide and are using it as a somber talking point.
That's literally the only reason I can think of a person wanting to film there.

Even then, getting real people in your shot is bad. Better to just film all the string leading into the woods. Putting the poor dead's faces in there is still something you probably shouldn't do. If you need the poignant death shots, stage it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Even then, getting real people in your shot is bad. Better to just film all the string leading into the woods. Putting the poor dead's faces in there is still something you probably shouldn't do. If you need the poignant death shots, stage it.

Oh that poo poo is so hosed up. Keep the shots of him talking to the guide and some establishing shots before just cutting to another location where you can talk about it. They really should have cut any footage involving the suicide victim

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

lornekates posted:

So, just so I know from a mod perspective, that takes care of everything?

Yes. Y'all can have this ghastly festering shithole of bullying cunts who don't actually give two fucks about social justice or betterment of the world in any way, shape or form to yourself. I'm sure it'll be loads of fun.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not the toxic element, all of you are

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Yes. Y'all can have this ghastly festering shithole of bullying cunts who don't actually give two fucks about social justice or betterment of the world in any way, shape or form to yourself. I'm sure it'll be loads of fun.

And how much do your Nazi friends care about advancing social justice?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sales dropped off a cliff into the bargain bin after a couple of weeks, which only means everyone knew it was done.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not only badly made but badly written as well. It outright lies to the player about its initial premises, and you can poke major holes in almost any plot point by thinking about them for two seconds.

You are going to explore new worlds!
You are playing catch-up to two years of prior colonization.

Only the Pathfinders can find habitable worlds!
Aside from the exiled mutiners, who found a tolerable one. The actual colonists tried to settle on a radioactive desert wasteland and failed. Twice.

Also the basic premise of the Pathfinder is to be the eyes and ears of an AI evaluating unknown planet conditions. You know, the job a cheap probe could do from orbit in ME2&3.
Also there are only really the two alien species that are new, the rest are just the species from the first three Mass Effect games

It's more embarrassing that they ended up with the product they did, considering it had like 5 years of development.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

Oh that poo poo is so hosed up. Keep the shots of him talking to the guide and some establishing shots before just cutting to another location where you can talk about it. They really should have cut any footage involving the suicide victim

Well, by "stage it" I meant "use live actors/props staged as dead". I wasn't referring to this video so much as "if you want that poignant deep discussion of suicide and need that emotional core, that's the only way I can even think of to make it work, and it probably won't."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 2, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kim Justice posted:

It's weird that we are the bullies but your the only person that insults people.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also there are only really the two alien species that are new, the rest are just the species from the first three Mass Effect games

It's more embarrassing that they ended up with the product they did, considering it had like 5 years of development.

If Kotaku is to be believed, 3 of those years were spent trying to make procedurally generated planets like in No Man's Sky

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SgtSteel91 posted:

If Kotaku is to be believed, 3 of those years were spent trying to make procedurally generated planets like in No Man's Sky

yeah everything about the development of andromeda sounds loving bonkers, it's really no wonder it turned out the way it did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Right, which all got thrown out for a couple of planets that you can actually go on, and keep going back to repeatedly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, which all got thrown out for a couple of planets that you can actually go on, and keep going back to repeatedly

Mac "Wrote ME3's ending" Walters was brought in to put the project on track and get something complete/releaseable after three years of loving about with procedural planet coding. And yes, what you see in the release version is about two years worth of rushed effort at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

filming in the suicide forest for youtube... jesus christ.
look, okay, there's too much 'content' being uploaded to personally vet each video, but can't we have some sort of lawnmowing examination of people above a certain viewcount/subscriber threshold? that ought to be more manageable right?

Kim Justice posted:

thank god

• Locked thread