Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

I hope they don't do anymore "hallway fight scenes" because they have all failed to capture the essence of the first one in DD1 and as a result have come across as pathetic and lame.

The biker gang stairwell fight is good by itself but sucks compared to season 1 hallway, and when viewed side by side you can really see how much more work went into S1’s big fights vs S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Jessica's strength in the series seems to be at about the level of a top strongman competitor.

Those guys can lift cars and break locks and stuff too.

Hahahaahahaha, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLEjpwE8RA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Defenders and doesn't count.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

That's Defenders and doesn't count.

Yeah, I've declared Defenders 'non-canon'

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Aphrodite.... wrong????? :wth:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I've declared Defenders 'non-canon'

I mean because nobody from JJ worked on that and we know there's no communication between the various showrunners. That's why I said "in the series".

If it was a conscious thing to keep her strength down at that level on her solo series (which we don't know, could just have been how things worked out with the generally lovely production on anything resembling action in that series) they're not going to change anything because of what happened in Defenders.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm disappointed JJ didn't have such artful fight scenes as Rosenberg's last superhero show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMbcFe4EqQ

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

esperterra posted:

I'm disappointed JJ didn't have such artful fight scenes as Rosenberg's last superhero show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMbcFe4EqQ

I had forgotten that both Birds of Prey and t.A.T.u. ever existed, and I don't appreciate being reminded of either

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had forgotten that both Birds of Prey and t.A.T.u. ever existed, and I don't appreciate being reminded of either

I unironically listen to t.A.T.u. still and BoP is one of the most entertaining trash fires of my youth. But I'm sorry!

e: the worst thing about BoP is Sherilyn Fenn leaving after filming the original pilot:

smdh it would have been three times as entertaining with her as Harley.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 2, 2018

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean because nobody from JJ worked on that and we know there's no communication between the various showrunners. That's why I said "in the series".

If it was a conscious thing to keep her strength down at that level on her solo series (which we don't know, could just have been how things worked out with the generally lovely production on anything resembling action in that series) they're not going to change anything because of what happened in Defenders.

Didn't she frequently jump from the ground onto a third-story fire escape in her own series? I doubt there's a normal human who can pull that off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Didn't she frequently jump from the ground onto a third-story fire escape in her own series? I doubt there's a normal human who can pull that off.

Pretty much anyone can do that.

Doing it twice, now there’s something that takes superpowers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pretty much anyone can do that.

Doing it twice, now there’s something that takes superpowers.

He said from the ground up, not the other way around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McSpanky posted:

He said from the ground up, not the other way around.

I think he's making a joke about the consistency of Jessica's powers. I'm not sure, I tapped out on JJ and don't remember much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Yes, she also basically flies at least twice. It’s not really consistent because they’re trying to reference her flight power from the comics, so some of the jumps she does are like way above what they otherwise showed as her power level.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I don’t think we’ve ever seen her upper limit

All we know is she’s way stronger than Luke cage

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Luke is the tank and she's the DPS, basically.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like they don't have a firm idea of how strong she is, so she's as strong as the narrative demands a la the tick. Which kinda sucks. In most fights she's about as effective as a normal person, but then she picks up a dumpster to block a door so they can escape.

I think they really blew it on her and Luke in most of the fights, really. I've posted about it before, but "they're holding back so they don't kill everyone!!!" only goes so far when poo poo gets as serious as it's supposed to be. Luke is so strong that he can lightly slap someone and knock them out, and Jessica is stronger. If one of them lands a hit on a normal human, they should go flying and be out of the fight at minimum. But that only happened once or twice when they felt like filming it, and the entire rest of the time their punches were just kinda normal. :effort:

I feel like at some point when they're supposed to be trying to prevent the city from being destroyed with a death toll of millions, they're going to become willing to kill some evil ninjas to get poo poo done. In fact, if they had gone that way with it I'd forgive all of the above leading up to it as necessary to provide contrast for when the kid gloves come off in the final battle. But nope, more half-assed flailing to minimal effect.

Javid fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 2, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I want to see Jessica Jones explode a squad of ninjas with her punches

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fartbox posted:

I want to see Jessica Jones explode a squad of ninjas with her punches

Let's make that zombie ninjas since they are canon and we can avoid rating issues.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want Luke to teach Jessica how to throw a proper punch. And for that to lead to her throwing jabs so strong the shockwave breaks doors and knocks people on their rear end.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I want Luke to teach Jessica how to throw a proper punch. And for that to lead to her throwing jabs so strong the shockwave breaks doors and knocks people on their rear end.

Just bitch-slap people so hard their brains liquefy in their skulls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Just bitch-slap people so hard their brains liquefy in their skulls.

Parrying punches by flicking them with one finger.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 2, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I think he's making a joke about the consistency of Jessica's powers. I'm not sure, I tapped out on JJ and don't remember much.

Nah, that’s giving me too much credit, it was two am and my tired brain read it backwards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Go full Mortal Kombat with it. Have Jessica punch people in the nuts so hard their head flies off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

Ugh I labored for so long trying to figure out how to say this and drat here it is.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Danny is the weeaboo rogue who's too busy RPing a ninja to beat the tank's DPS

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

So who is the wizard

every party needs a wizard

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Stick

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fartbox posted:

So who is the wizard

every party needs a wizard

If the Punisher joins the defenders, he’d be the wizard. Long distance damage and AoE grenades.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If the Punisher joins the defenders, he’d be the wizard. Long distance damage and AoE grenades.

Scene: Defenders get ready for another hallway fight with the Hand. Frank then shoots all of the Hand.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Davros1 posted:

Scene: Defenders get ready for another hallway fight with the Hand. Frank then shoots all of the Hand.

Fireball, nerds.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Danny can supposedly heal so I think he's more like a Paladin.

An extraordinarily lovely Paladin.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

Go full Mortal Kombat with it. Have Jessica punch people in the nuts so hard their head flies off.

:same:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

He’s a better actor when the script makes him talk fast. That way he can’t do the imitation-Batman growl

:argh: the hand was here

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Wizards are well known for using guns

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Just like a wizard in D&D, Frank would steal the show and immediately ruining it by simply killing every baddy with magic guns and actual tactics.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 2, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Frank mowing down all the trash ninjas would be great

He doesn't have any superpowers at all but he's easily the most dangerous man in Marvel TV

"oh my god these ninjas have swords!!!"

Frank Castle:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frank's close-combat skills are way too loving good for him to be a wizard.

Maybe a fighter/wizard dual-class? Chaotic good obviously.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Fartbox posted:

Frank mowing down all the trash ninjas would be great

He doesn't have any superpowers at all but he's easily the most dangerous man in Marvel TV

"oh my god these ninjas have swords!!!"

Frank Castle:

I was really hoping he was gonna do this in DD2. When matt and elektra are in the stairwell preparing to fight the zillion hand dudes on the roof, I was hoping they'd come out to find them all dead with a bunch of bullet holes, and frank just sitting on a roof a block away like "you're welcome"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Frank's close-combat skills are way too loving good for him to be a wizard.

Maybe a fighter/wizard dual-class? Chaotic good obviously.

Franks more like an archer with daggers

Maybe a magical archer