Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
I have a fairly inexpensive Michigan Maple edge grain maple board, rubber, and polyethylene boards. All 12x18 boards.

I think the edge grain board feels the nicest to cut on, but the board is 1.75 inches thick, so it requires some significant space in the dish drain compared to the others. Cutting on it feels "fast" compared to the rubber board. Not really a big deal, but it obviously needs more maintenance than the rubber or poly. Seemed slightly dry and it was a little rough (not really rough feeling to the hand, but it caught my cloth when wiping it) as sold, so I loaded it with oil before using it and then sanded it smoother after a few uses since it was catching my cloth.

The rubber board has a semi permanent warp - like it's domed in the center, or concave in the center if you flip it over. I've flattened it before, but the warp keeps coming back. Hot water out of the tap will warp it right before my eyes, so I just quit trying to flatten it. It feels like a sharp knife digs in and kind of drags/sticks, so it feels slow to me. The board is 12x18" but it's actually smaller by a not insignificant amount. If you put them next to the poly boards they're noticeably smaller.

The poly boards (generic food service type) have edges that are not straight, so if you put them side by side for a makeshift bigger surface there's a significant gap. 12x18x0.5 - it's thinner than 0.5 thick by a little bit. IIRC, just a touch smaller than 12x18 too. I think the knife feels faster on poly than rubber, but food seems like it can slide/slip around on the poly board easier.

If I have to cut a decent amount of stuff I'll use the maple board because for me it feels the best to cut on by far. For quicker work I'll just use the rubber board most times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SubG posted:

No. I'm saying food prep a thousand years ago was different, and imagining modern food prep done on a tabletop instead of a cutting board isn't just a simplification, it is misleading.

And we're talking about Europe because we were talking about cutting boards and their antecedents. As I already pointed out, the precursor to the modern cutting board was the chopping block, and the first recorded use of anything like it is in the late 1400s in Europe. There is similar documentary evidence of its use in China, but we have indirect evidence (e.g. in cooking manuals) that they were in use there a couple centuries earlier. In neither case were they what we would now think of as a food prep surface, like a cutting board---like nobody was going to come in after the butcher was done and make a nice wedge salad on the chopping block. So it's not really relevant for our discussion.

I would love to hear the food history scholarship which paints a different picture prior to the economic changes of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries. Like, actually. Go ahead an paint me a picture of typical household cooking circa 1000 CE.
No? The discussion was that pretty much everyone has always used wood as a food prep work surface and mostly managed to avoid death due to its natural properties.

Your response is that this is impossible because no one had tables and only a single pot. Which may have been partially true for some very poor French peasants of a certain period but is kinda irrelevant for the larger discussion. Also even poor French peasants probably had a wood board with or without legs to put things on.

Your argument also ignores entirely that not everyone was too poor to have a table so that regardless a significant portion of the population was still benefiting from the effects.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 30, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You know the silver bit on the head of a kitchenaid? Where the “spindle” emerges from the centre?
Well my whole silver bit has dropped down about 5mm somehow. It looks absolutely awful and I don’t suppose anyone knows how to fix it? It’s a hard thing to google and describe sorry.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This has been very interesting, and has made me realise the real reason I have wooden chopping boards: because I prefer the feeling of using a wood chopping board.

Like a lot of what I like about cooking, it’s just as much about the journey as the end result, and there’s something nice about using wood, crushing garlic with a knife and cooking chickens whole. It may not be optimal efficiency, but it’s part of the experience, and that really all that matters to me.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

You know the silver bit on the head of a kitchenaid? Where the “spindle” emerges from the centre?
Well my whole silver bit has dropped down about 5mm somehow. It looks absolutely awful and I don’t suppose anyone knows how to fix it? It’s a hard thing to google and describe sorry.

That "spindle" thing is called the power hub or sometimes power tap, are you talking about the hub cover?

KitchenAid Ksmhap Attachment Hub Accessory Pack, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JR1VOQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NV9rAbF505BST

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

plester1 posted:

That "spindle" thing is called the power hub or sometimes power tap, are you talking about the hub cover?

KitchenAid Ksmhap Attachment Hub Accessory Pack, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JR1VOQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NV9rAbF505BST

Sorry I mean this bit :)

It doesn’t seem to move in anyway I can’t just screw it back up or push it or anything.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Murgos posted:

No? The discussion was that pretty much everyone has always used wood as a food prep work surface and mostly managed to avoid death due to its natural properties.

Your response is that this is impossible because no one had tables and only a single pot. Which may have been partially true for some very poor French peasants of a certain period but is kinda irrelevant for the larger discussion. Also even poor French peasants probably had a wood board with or without legs to put things on.

Your argument also ignores entirely that not everyone was too poor to have a table so that regardless a significant portion of the population was still benefiting from the effects.
No. I understand that your intuition is that food prep a thousand years ago just must, for some reason, look more or less like food prep today only with less kitchen gadgets, or something like that. But, like I just said, it wasn't just like what is done today except on a tabletop.

A thousand years ago, throughout Europe, as well as India, the Levant, and China, a substantial majority of people's diets consisted mostly of cereals with a couple of local veg. In Europe in the time period we're talking about this was consumed overwhelmingly as porridge or gruel (bread wouldn't predominate until several centuries later).

A thousand years ago was before the Crusades, increases in trade, and the rise of the sort of town life that would become a major part of later Medieval life. Before these changes (which were occurring throughout the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries) most people got most of their food from land they cultivated themselves. It isn't until centuries later that shifts in trade and patterns of life created conditions where a meaningful portion of the population was obtaining their food via commerce instead of subsistence farming (and diets for those other than the nobility became more diverse as a result).

If you were an average person living near the coast you might be consuming some fish in addition. If you were not meat would be scarce unless you were very wealthy (or were poaching from somebody who was). If the meat was fresh you'd probably hang it and then roast with a spit and open flame, probably over your cook pot, where you cooked your porridge, to catch the drippings. A substantial portion of whatever meat you did get would be preserved---smoked or salted---itself reducing the risk of the spread of food pathogens from meat handling.

At no point do your habits of food preparation look anything like the modern use of a cutting board. Specifically, if you're appealing to the Cliver (et al) study and are trying to extrapolate it out to wood food prep surfaces serving some sort of public heath function a thousand years ago (you know, in the Middle Ages, a time celebrated for its lack of disease and death) you'd have to do so in some way that's connected to the results reported in the Cliver paper. They investigate but discard the idea that the wood itself (that is, some chemical or whatever property of the wood) provides antimicrobial action. And conclude that the effects they observe are due to cuts in the surface wicking moisture away from the surface, sequestering food pathogens where they subsequently dry and die.

So in order to attribute some public health miracle to the non-existent cutting boards of a thousand years ago, the food prep practices of a thousand years ago would have to involve routinely cutting raw meat on a wooden surface, wiping it down, and then doing other food prep tasks on the same surface. It didn't. For most people it couldn't. They didn't have the diet necessary to develop those habits or acquire those tools of food preparation. This is seen in illustrations and in food manuals which start appearing hundreds of years after the period we're talking about and still don't include the sort of food prep that you, and others in this thread, appear to be imagining.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Most of your post had nothing to do with whether people actually used wooden cutting boards, but whatever. Can you make a separate thread for yourself cause you are kind of making GBS threads up this thread in your efforts to sound smart.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Most of your post had nothing to do with whether people actually used wooden cutting boards, but whatever. Can you make a separate thread for yourself cause you are kind of making GBS threads up this thread in your efforts to sound smart.

I think this is a pretty interesting discussion even if it's mostly tangential to the main thrust of the thread, and it's not like we haven't had pages-long derails before

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the review, good to know

Personally I got half a dozen Oxo boards ($10 with Bed Bath and Beyond coupons), to avoid cross contamination I'll just throw a board into the washer after cutting meat and just pull a fresh board out if I need to cut veg afterwards. It's sooooo easy to deal with this way

This is mostly me but I have a 18 inch round Boos, too.
Anyhoo, speaking of the little plastic sheets... the only issue I have with this process is the post-dishwasher warping/curling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think this is a pretty interesting discussion even if it's mostly tangential to the main thrust of the thread, and it's not like we haven't had pages-long derails before

Yeah, it is completely about kitchen equipment. I say play on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

So in order to attribute some public health miracle

The only person attributing miracles to anything is you. It isn't a miracle, it's science. You have slayed your strawman and are now beating it. Wood is antimicrobial. I don't know why that triggers you but get over it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Sorry I mean this bit :)

It doesn’t seem to move in anyway I can’t just screw it back up or push it or anything.

Those are just a friction fit. You should be able to whack it back into place by a series of taps around the perimeter.
Put a piece of wood against it and hit the wood with the hammer.
They get pretty gunked up too so you might consider knocking it down all the way/off and cleaning under it first then whacking it back together.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

Dude, chill.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SubG posted:

Snipped

Again, you are being weirdly restrictive about framing this discussion.

One, you are focusing on one strata of population. Two,the information you are conveying about that strata is only really applicable during a narrow 3-400 year period. Three, you are so overgeneraling that it’s almost absurd as there would have been broad variation across places and times even among that strata. Fourth, nothing you’ve said actually is direct evidence for your claim, everything has to be inferred.

Even if I were to grant you the peasant population, which I don’t,, still around the world in 1000 AD spread across 10s of thousands of cities, towns, villages, castles, keeps, manors and the more well off free holdings, farmsteads and etc... would have been several hundreds of thousands of people whose primary activities would have been butchering meats and preparing meals for others and there would be 10s of millions who consumed those products resulting in literally billions of meals a year. For the most part they would not have suffered from food poisoning from the preparation and handling of those meals due in no small part to the antimicrobial qualities of the wood in their, tools, tables, utensils and serving vessels.

My only assumption with your weirdly pedantic focus is that you are being disingenuous.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 31, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doing some end of year self present shopping, what is the current tepid puddle machine of choice?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anova precision cooker if you can get it under $110 on Amazon

Edit: looks like it's $118 right now, not too bad

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Just got a pasta roller attachment for my kitchenaid - anyone know anything exciting to do with it other than the obvious pasta dough?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ekeog posted:

Just got a pasta roller attachment for my kitchenaid - anyone know anything exciting to do with it other than the obvious pasta dough?

Plenty of other doughs:
https://food52.com/hotline/28471-other-uses-for-kitchen-aid-pasta-roller

I would just avoid rolling anything that's not a dough

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Need a recommendation for decent sharpening stone set, tia. Budget around 40-50 bucks? If that's reasonable. My most expensive knives are less than $100.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Need a recommendation for decent sharpening stone set, tia. Budget around 40-50 bucks? If that's reasonable. My most expensive knives are less than $100.

Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker, easy to use, has brass safety bars, hard to gently caress up. It'll be useless for removing chips in a blade, but you would be better off sending it to a professional at that point.
https://smile.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE

You could go cheaper and get the lansky equivalent, but I don't like it for two reasons:
1. Wider angles, Spyderco does 30 and 40 - Lanksy does 40 and 50
2. No safety bars at all. See customer image for why this can be bad.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lansky-2D2C-Diamond-Ceramic-Four/dp/B008EKY5OA

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

.Z. posted:

Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker, easy to use, has brass safety bars, hard to gently caress up. It'll be useless for removing chips in a blade, but you would be better off sending it to a professional at that point.
https://smile.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE

You could go cheaper and get the lansky equivalent, but I don't like it for two reasons:
1. Wider angles, Spyderco does 30 and 40 - Lanksy does 40 and 50
2. No safety bars at all. See customer image for why this can be bad.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lansky-2D2C-Diamond-Ceramic-Four/dp/B008EKY5OA

That looks super super gimmicky? Why not use traditional wet stones?

e: Did some reading on them. Interesting.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 2, 2018

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

That looks super super gimmicky? Why not use traditional wet stones?

There is nothing wrong with traditional wet stones, but do you want to spend the time to learn how to use them and get decent results? Plus the time needed every so often to setup, clean and maintain the stones? If the answer is no, get a Sharpmaker and have something that is quick and easy to use. It's a bit more complicated than the pull-through sharpeners, but it also avoids the problems with those systems. And for the majority of home cooks that is enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
30~40 degree angle sounds way different from what kitchen knives are usually at or do I just know nothing about knives

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

30~40 degree angle sounds way different from what kitchen knives are usually at or do I just know nothing about knives

Sorry I'm adding up both side, it's 15 or 20 degrees a side.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnonSpore posted:

I'm guessing that those are included angles, so 15-20 per side, though for kitchen knives I would do 12-15 per side depending on what the knife is to be used for.

EDIT: EFB, though I was right at least.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tbh I’m willing to put in the work. I have a few years of machining experience (the first 6 months of which I had to hand sharpen drill bits on a grinding wheel) and I’m fastidious. I’m not willing to spend hundreds but I have plenty of free time to learn skills like this. if I can get a better result using stones I’m quite willing to put in the time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned the Edge Pro (or the knockoff version). They'll give you an edge as good as you'll get by hand unless you spend 40 years practicing, they're dead easy to use, and the knockoff is inexpensive - although higher end stones will drive the cost up, if that's the route you want to go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got a 10" diamond hone, it's super easy to freehand sharpen with, especially the long 14" buchers knife that was a real PITA with even a bigger bench stone.

I use stones for sharpening otherwise (woodworking tools), but I really like this diamond hone for kitchen knives. I strop the ones I want really sharp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What shape are your knives in now? If they're in good shape you can get a single 1-3k stone and be good, if they're bad you'll probably want a 280/1k combo or something to start. A few bucks more there is the dmt duo sharp fine/extra fine which leaves an edge similar to a 1k but absolutely shreds metal. I prefer a stone's feel but ymmv

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What shape are your knives in now? If they're in good shape you can get a single 1-3k stone and be good, if they're bad you'll probably want a 280/1k combo or something to start. A few bucks more there is the dmt duo sharp fine/extra fine which leaves an edge similar to a 1k but absolutely shreds metal. I prefer a stone's feel but ymmv

They're dull but not hacked up. They haven't had any sharpening 'attempts' with weird products, I hone them from time to time but at this point that's ineffective as there isn't a burl to remove, it's just dull. I'll pick some stones up - thanks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

VelociBacon posted:

They're dull but not hacked up. They haven't had any sharpening 'attempts' with weird products, I hone them from time to time but at this point that's ineffective as there isn't a burl to remove, it's just dull. I'll pick some stones up - thanks.

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a pretty good place to start, cheap too. Remember to only soak the 1k side.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a pretty good place to start, cheap too. Remember to only soak the 1k side.

Ordered! Thanks to everyone in the thread.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Please explain. I have had one whetstone (that is a single grit) that I always just submerge. I recently got a 2k/4k king combo stone, I think? Something like that. Why not just submerge?

Also: Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonably priced strop on Amazon?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Please explain. I have had one whetstone (that is a single grit) that I always just submerge. I recently got a 2k/4k king combo stone, I think? Something like that. Why not just submerge?

Also: Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonably priced strop on Amazon?

Whether submerging is a good idea depends on the composition of the stone, some stones will eventually start cracking and falling apart if submerged repeatedly, those stones should only be splashed with water before use. There should be instructions telling you whether the stone is a soak or splash stone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone else get notice of this class action? its about vitamix blenders leaving small flecks of teflon in food

https://www.blendersettlement.com

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I hadn't seen any notice of a class action but I'm very curious what the damages will be given that it's perfectly safe. Whoever's doing the class action doesn't know how to make web pages secure so I cannot look at the link.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its odd they dont have https set up but here's the settlement:

If you own a Vitamix blender covered by this Settlement, you could get a $70 gift card to purchase certain Vitamix products or a free replacement blade assembly that does not fleck.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Speaking of blenders, does anyone here use a Blendtec? I picked up one of the Costco versions and it makes an awful sound when you first turn it on or have a small amount of stuff in the jar. It doesn't do it when the jar isn't on the base, so I thought it was a bad jar and replaced it via warranty, but it still does it. I've heard it happen in videos on YT, etc. so I'm guessing it's "normal"? I have to wonder if it's because the base and the jar connect directly without any sort of bushing, etc. so it's metal on metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emotive posted:

Speaking of blenders, does anyone here use a Blendtec? I picked up one of the Costco versions and it makes an awful sound when you first turn it on or have a small amount of stuff in the jar. It doesn't do it when the jar isn't on the base, so I thought it was a bad jar and replaced it via warranty, but it still does it. I've heard it happen in videos on YT, etc. so I'm guessing it's "normal"? I have to wonder if it's because the base and the jar connect directly without any sort of bushing, etc. so it's metal on metal.

Yeah mine does that too it's been fine for years.