Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
"developers should make real native apps instead of dumb web views" is a relatively recent party line. it's also true, but it's the sort of truth that developers are usually not well-equipped to deal with, because the sorts of software architectures that make it easy — exposing a well-designed API for your service, via RPC or whatever, that can be used by either a web or native client — are not decisions that you can make unilaterally as the mobile app development team of a much larger organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

"developers should make real native apps instead of dumb web views" is a relatively recent party line. it's also true, but it's the sort of truth that developers are usually not well-equipped to deal with, because the sorts of software architectures that make it easy — exposing a well-designed API for your service, via RPC or whatever, that can be used by either a web or native client — are not decisions that you can make unilaterally as the mobile app development team of a much larger organization

if there is even the slimmest silver lining in this nightmare cloud that is web dev, it is the practice of maintaining usable REST APIs to serve your awful web frontend is standard operating procedure now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Back in my day it was autogenerated SOAP APIs for your WinForms or VB6 app. Those days were better imo

I wish Apple had decent, stable APIs but instead they do things like change drawRoundRect between iOS versions, breaking all drawing apps. Because branding or something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
soap was unironically good and cool and i miss it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you joke but i actually saw vbscript used on web pages in intraweb apps

a pre-standard DOM, manipulated by vbscript

vbscript is unironically better than javascript.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

he's worked at apple a very long time and sometimes that gives him unique insights and sometimes it makes him forget some of the ways in which his experience is unusual

very long time only in today’s terms

many of my coworkers have been here way longer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if there is even the slimmest silver lining in this nightmare cloud that is web dev, it is the practice of maintaining usable REST APIs to serve your awful web frontend is standard operating procedure now

even if i knew nothing about web developers, i would feel confident in calling this out as bullshit just because good api design is difficult. i suspect that the actual standard operating procedure is that you make a rest api that changes every 2-3 "sprints" when johnny q. tenecks from the team across the hall adds a new mandatory argument and maybe remembers to update most of the clients and half of the tests

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Blinkz0rz posted:

maybe? idk i'd rather write js than c or c++ but maybe that's just me

Just you, sorry

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

rjmccall posted:

why would anyone use a native client over a web based one assuming feature parity?

That's an honest question, I'm not trying to be a smartass I literally do not know the answer.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

abigserve posted:

why would anyone use a native client over a web based one assuming feature parity?

That's an honest question, I'm not trying to be a smartass I literally do not know the answer.

Performance, battery life, etc. Also I have yet to see a web based client that has feature parity with native one without both being horribly crippled in regards to obeying copy paste, resizing, etc etc etc.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Xarn posted:

Performance, battery life,

responsiveness, does not randomly fail to download half of its UI,

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

redleader posted:

i can't wait to ship a webass implementation of the entire .net runtime on every page load so that i don't have to write something that is js or compiles to js

hell yeah me too

https://github.com/bridgedotnet/Bridge
https://github.com/sq/JSIL
https://github.com/SteveSanderson/Blazor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

even if i knew nothing about web developers, i would feel confident in calling this out as bullshit just because good api design is difficult. i suspect that the actual standard operating procedure is that you make a rest api that changes every 2-3 "sprints" when johnny q. tenecks from the team across the hall adds a new mandatory argument and maybe remembers to update most of the clients and half of the tests

oh yeah, you totally nailed it. that's exactly what it's like.

but bear in mind that the status quo ante was no api at all. if you wanted to interoperate with whatever another app team was making GBS threads out, your best bet was often to grovel through their databases.

if you were really lucky someone would create a relevant view for you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the rise of elaborate js apps in browsers creates an internal demand for an api that has to be up to date or else the web app stops working

this doesn't mean that the api will be well-designed or pleasant to use or tested or documented. only that it will exist, and it will be up to date.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

well gently caress i read rjmccall's post started to write a response then got to the bottom and notorious wrote what i was going to write.

a lot of what used to be done with web scraping can now be done by hooking in to the "rest" api driving the site so that's a win right there

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, that makes sense and is definitely progress

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

responsiveness, does not randomly fail to download half of its UI,

Doesn't eat hundreds of megs of ram, doesnt take 10a of seconds just to start up...

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the rise of elaborate js apps in browsers creates an internal demand for an api that has to be up to date or else the web app stops working

this doesn't mean that the api will be well-designed or pleasant to use or tested or documented. only that it will exist, and it will be up to date.

This is something I think about often and the difference between even an unstable, badly defined API and WebForms methods doing low level work in an OnClick handler is massive. Having that distance between the UI and the LOB makes even the laziest devs have to think about things like separation of concerns and layering.

(It's even worse in our business using Intersystems Cache (MUMPS++) where database access is only a variable assignment away. Other teams will write the UI in server-side Cache and do all kinds of direct database access, which is a total loving nightmare and something our team thankfully doesn't do.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theodop posted:

This is something I think about often and the difference between even an unstable, badly defined API and WebForms methods doing low level work in an OnClick handler is massive. Having that distance between the UI and the LOB makes even the laziest devs have to think about things like separation of concerns and layering.

(It's even worse in our business using Intersystems Cache (MUMPS++) where database access is only a variable assignment away. Other teams will write the UI in server-side Cache and do all kinds of direct database access, which is a total loving nightmare and something our team thankfully doesn't do.)

Please tell you don't work at epic, lol.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

cis autodrag posted:

Please tell you don't work at epic, lol.

wrong country :) but bad Cache programming is universal, I would think, considering the whole ecosystem is set up to foster horrible practices

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theodop posted:

wrong country :) but bad Cache programming is universal, I would think, considering the whole ecosystem is set up to foster horrible practices

Well I'll be damned.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
edit: didn't realize there was a page of new replies

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 2, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
do we need a web rear end to mouth thread jesus christ

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
:justpost:

it's not like this thread is an unending stream of other content that's being lost in the ocean of webasm. also it's a legit language-design-and-implementation topic

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

yeah this thread goes a few posts a week when there's not an argument

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah fair enough

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

do the javascript haters here think application developers (i'm talking here about webapps, ionic, phonegap, react native, electrum and whatever else you want to put in this bucket) are choosing to go that route over native apps because they're idiots who don't know any better? or because native development is stuck in 1993? it's clearly the latter, no?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think there's a lot of benefit to targeting wide-reaching platforms and it's unfortunate that one of the current widest-reaching platforms is the JavaScript web app. It's also unfortunate that on this platform you still have to account for such a wide range of interface sizes and capabilities. My laptop's old enough that the heavy JavaScript content bogs it down and the screen has a low enough resolution that a lot of websites "responsively" fall into their lovely, neglected tablet layouts.

I don't think native development is necessarily stuck in 1993, it's just that few places have the resources to put out versions of their product that work on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Vizio TV's, PS4, XBoxOne, Switch, etc.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a web app is generally fine for systems like desktops and laptops that can deal perfectly well with an ordinary web site: they're usually connected to reliable high-speed networks, they have enough screen space that you can waste a lot of it on navigational stuff like headers and sidebars, power usage is a second-tier concern, they're not particularly memory-constrained, etc. if the product is for serious content creation then a web app is just going to lead to a long series of bad compromises, but most software is not for serious content creation. it's really just things like phones where web apps are godawful

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

the talent deficit posted:

do the javascript haters here think application developers (i'm talking here about webapps, ionic, phonegap, react native, electrum and whatever else you want to put in this bucket) are choosing to go that route over native apps because they're idiots who don't know any better? or because native development is stuck in 1993? it's clearly the latter, no?

there is a greater than zero percent of them that absolutely are, but I don't think it's anywhere close to the majority (unless you're talking about phonegap since that's basically only used for shoveware)

webapps were the first development platform to make "write once, run anywhere" actually work (even if you do still need to test it in a bunch of browsers), and they still have the best installation/update process. for most apps, those two features end up trumping basically everything else.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sinestro posted:

that's what I'm saying. I can use qt which means using their lovely stl knockoff and either means super weird looking widgets and javascript or a gui library that feels like a trip back to windows forms in a bad way, or I could use gtk which looks like poo poo on macOS... or I could use electron and it'll probably be a battery and memory hog but at least it won't suck as much to write

you forgot wxwidgets which, in some ways, is better than all three (but still sucks)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
wx has never had enough development resources to make their cross-platform wrappers for native widgets actually work the same on every platform. it's a shame. if they had twice as many developers working on it for the last decade as they actually did it could have been good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wxWidgets is full of "this flag only works on pocketpc" which should tell you exactly how relevant it is

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
there were all kinds of alternatives after flash died. until 5+ years ago microsoft were still trying to push silverlight, and during that time they wanted to ensure javascript never got advanced features to compete with .Net by playing games at Ecma, like they did at the ISO with their office formats (also via Ecma).

javascript is ok, but obviously its best feature is that companies who hate each other will support it. add flow or typescript and it's sufficient.

also SharedArrayBuffer w/ webworkers will be pretty good too i think. i'm making a word processor with them (that's an old version from years ago so it doesn't use those newer features yet, but it does use asm.js).

and i thought you'd be arguing about Service Workers wiping out native apps (which they will do)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CPColin posted:

the screen has a low enough resolution that a lot of websites "responsively" fall into their lovely, neglected tablet layouts.

I use tiling a lot and the amount of websites that completely fail when being given half of my ultra book screen is sad.

Pictures overlap text, menu items disappear but the hamburger menu doesn't appear, etc etc

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rjmccall posted:

a web app is generally fine for systems like desktops and laptops that can deal perfectly well with an ordinary web site: they're usually connected to reliable high-speed networks, they have enough screen space that you can waste a lot of it on navigational stuff like headers and sidebars, power usage is a second-tier concern, they're not particularly memory-constrained, etc. if the product is for serious content creation then a web app is just going to lead to a long series of bad compromises, but most software is not for serious content creation. it's really just things like phones where web apps are godawful

so ... a web app is ok on computers running x86-64 windows or, occasionally, x86-64 macos

which kind of invalidates the whole “web apps mean write once run anywhere!” argument some people have been using, because now there are more different browsers to test your web app on than there are desktop platforms to test your qt or javafx app on (or you could just ignore the tiny mac market and use whichever microsoft gui thing shaggar recommends)

the fact that electron even exists says a lot about how bad web apps are in practice. if desktop apps are obsolete, why go to all this effort to turn a web app into one?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
update from trying to use qt quick: this is great if you hate separating your presentation from the rest of your code

also if you hate yourself

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

theodop posted:

Having that distance between the UI and the LOB makes even the laziest devs have to think about things like separation of concerns and layering.

i see we've had different experiences

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Soricidus posted:

so ... a web app is ok on computers running x86-64 windows or, occasionally, x86-64 macos

which kind of invalidates the whole “web apps mean write once run anywhere!” argument some people have been using, because now there are more different browsers to test your web app on than there are desktop platforms to test your qt or javafx app on (or you could just ignore the tiny mac market and use whichever microsoft gui thing shaggar recommends)

the fact that electron even exists says a lot about how bad web apps are in practice. if desktop apps are obsolete, why go to all this effort to turn a web app into one?

discord is a web app that runs fine on web, desktop windows, desktop linux, android, and ios. so, i dunno, works for me i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i don’t get the hate for phone gap frameworks

i would gain nothing if my banking app was native. i don’t care if you call it shovelware it does the job.