Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

qutius posted:

The Smoke blows the Maverick out of the water. So glad I upgraded.

Can you give me a couple highlights of the comparison?

My main gripes with the maverick

1) Probes (obviously)
2) Probes
3) Trying to set the high/low limits is not exactly intuitive and I usually have to resort to the manual.
4) For some drat reason the remote never syncs with the base unit unless I manually do it. Not a big deal, but it should work like how designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I thought the remote would be more useful and I thought I definitely wouldn't need the 40. No window 40 it is, thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hmm... Seems like the black model with no window doesn't come in a 40 inch version?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Colostomy Bag posted:

1) Probes (obviously)
2) Probes
3) Trying to set the high/low limits is not exactly intuitive and I usually have to resort to the manual.
4) For some drat reason the remote never syncs with the base unit unless I manually do it. Not a big deal, but it should work like how designed.

the maverick defender has logged in

1, 2) What's your issue with the probes?
3) Agreed that it is not intuitive if you're new with it, but after 3.5 years with this thing I've become a pro I guess
4) You are turning the remote on before you turn the base unit on, right? You must do it in that order or it won't automatically sync.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you give me a couple highlights of the comparison?

1) Probes (obviously)
2) Probes

The probes feel like quite the upgrade, I've only done one or two cooks with the new gear, but so far they seem a lot more substantial. Hopefully that leads to a longer lifespan and less fussing around with them.

Seeing high/low limits, turning alarms on/off, and just the general operation is exactly what you'd expect. No need for a drat manual, its easy, intuitive, and can be done at the crack of dawn before you've had your coffee but need to get things rolling on the smoker. Simple.

The pairing/sync is easy, just turn them on within 30 seconds of each other I think it is. The remote is a little quick to alert when it loses sync or communication, which can be both good and bad.

This review/comparison did it for me

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i got an analog electric smoker for christmas - and ive reached the difficult decision of what to smoke first.

what would be easiest but still be awesome?

help goons!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

CoolHandMat posted:

i got an analog electric smoker for christmas - and ive reached the difficult decision of what to smoke first.

help goons!

Pork shoulder, always.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

CoolHandMat posted:

help goons!

Ribs are nice and easy

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

VERTiG0 posted:

the maverick defender has logged in

1, 2) What's your issue with the probes?
3) Agreed that it is not intuitive if you're new with it, but after 3.5 years with this thing I've become a pro I guess
4) You are turning the remote on before you turn the base unit on, right? You must do it in that order or it won't automatically sync.

Appreciate your feedback.

Well the most common complaint that everyone else has with the probes: They seem to let you down at the worst possible time. And yeah, I treat the meat one with kid gloves.
They've been replaced a couple times. With that said, the grill one (which looks like the cigarette butt) has been going strong.

As for the sync, yeah, I know the order. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Like I said, not a big deal to hold the resync button a few seconds to make it happy. That was a minor nitpick and who knows it could be operator error when you're hustling around a tad getting everything ready to go. So probably unjustified.

Just for laughs (back to the probe) I just fired up the maverick and plugged the probe in to test the sync. Reads "LLL". That pretty much settles the purchase decision. Probably will go for the smoke works, and order a replacement probe for the maverick as a backup. Not that I could even trust it in that capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I think at its pricepoint it is a decent product for the money and has definitely helped thousands of people (like myself) crank out good stuff. Has a great range for the remote. But man...it does frustrate me when the rubber meats (stupid joke) the road sometimes. And of course what makes this a hobby is everything is anecdotal. Makes the world go around.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Internet Explorer posted:

Hmm... Seems like the black model with no window doesn't come in a 40 inch version?

It's easy for us to spend other people's (meaning yours) money.

So browsed the 30 vs 40 stainless with window on Amazon. $80 difference.

With the 40 obviously bigger.
40 gives you 1200 watts (more on this later) vs 800.

I have a 30/stainless/window/with remote that is roughly I'd say 6 years old. Last year the element croaked. A call to Masterbuilt and they shipped out a replacement element, new grommets, connectors, leads, detailed instructions for $30 bucks and asked me how it failed. From the questioning they obviously have a quality management program in place. In short, outstanding customer service.

With that said the newer ones have made several changes over the old. Control panel is integrated into the front. On mine it looks like it was tacked on the top with some goofball connector that gets tucked inside the housing. Newer one has the drip pan neatly stowed away in the front. On mine, some weird goofy plastic tray that breaks off from a metal tube out the back. Probably new one is worthless as well but cleaner packaging.

I ride mine hard and put it away somewhat wet so to speak. My control panel and remote works for the most part, but has an odd bug where if I try to adjust the temps with the remote it will shut the unit off. Only way to get it going again is with the control panel. Again, I've worked it hard in shall we say harsh conditions and the newer design looks better. I don't fault the unit.

As for the element, 1200 watts is about tops for a 15 AMP circuit. You'd be surprised what the outside outlets are tied to depending on the age of your house. Don't be surprised if you trip a breaker when someone else tries to make coffee or use a vacuum cleaner. Been there done that. In that scenario 800 vs 1200 won't make much of a difference.

1200 will heat faster and keep up in colder conditions.

At then end of the day, your money and what it is worth to you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'm on vacation so I decided to do a brisket on Wednesday. I broke down a full packer and did about 6-7lbs of flat for 14 hours, at which point I had to pull it so folks could eat.

I'm not super happy with how it came out. The bark was excellent and the flavor was great, but the meat was much drier than I was expecting it would be.

I'm trying to think about where I went wrong.

I did a rub the night before then put it on at 225 at 5:40AM. I did 2 loads of hickory and 2 loads of pecan (chips, I'm using an MES 30) until it hit the stall around 160. At that point I crutched it, then ran it to 200. Once it hit, I unwrapped it and let it cook a little longer to firm up the bark.

The meat dropped 30 degrees and struggled to get back up to even 180. I bumped it to 250 and eventually 275 but the timing of it didn't seem to work out right. It only got a 30 minutes rest and it didn't seem like there was any residual cooking while it was wrapped up after I pulled it. I made sure to cut the meat against the grain when slicing as I've heard cutting with the grain can cause the meat to drain a ton of juice.

Any thoughts?

e: forgot to mention it ranged from -2 to 9F outside during the smoke.

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 30, 2017

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Any thoughts?

Honestly it looks like the brisket you did was really lacking in fat - I destroyed the first one I made and then did a bunch of reading here and bought Aaron Franklin's book, which mentions needing about a 1/4 inch fat cap turned to the hot side of your smoker (so in my case, as in his, cook it fat side up) until the brisket it all the way through the stall, at which point he wraps it in pink butcher paper (not foil) and brings it up to around 210-ish, or until it feels jiggly in your hands. Been doing it this way for awhile and all subsequent briskets have turned out amazing.

In regards to the fat cap thing, always look for prime grade or equivalent brisket - Aaron's book has a ton of stuff about meat quality and the choice poo poo you get at the grocery stores just doesn't cut it. I get mine either from my local butcher (wayyy out of the city and out where they actually raise the cattle) and tell them how I want it cut and have also had a lot of good luck with the Prime whole packers (not the more expensive Choice grade Flats) from Costco (at only $2.99 a lb - PBUC).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm not super happy with how it came out. The bark was excellent and the flavor was great, but the meat was much drier than I was expecting it would be.

I'm trying to think about where I went wrong.

I did a rub the night before then put it on at 225 at 5:40AM. I did 2 loads of hickory and 2 loads of pecan (chips, I'm using an MES 30) until it hit the stall around 160. At that point I crutched it, then ran it to 200. Once it hit, I unwrapped it and let it cook a little longer to firm up the bark.

The meat dropped 30 degrees and struggled to get back up to even 180. I bumped it to 250 and eventually 275 but the timing of it didn't seem to work out right. It only got a 30 minutes rest and it didn't seem like there was any residual cooking while it was wrapped up after I pulled it. I made sure to cut the meat against the grain when slicing as I've heard cutting with the grain can cause the meat to drain a ton of juice.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like you overcooked it, especially if it was just the flat. I'd have pulled it at 188-190 and unwrapped it (195 tops), if I were planning on crisping up the bark at the end.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

Sounds like you overcooked it, especially if it was just the flat. I'd have pulled it at 188-190 and unwrapped it (195 tops), if I were planning on crisping up the bark at the end.

Seconding this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's easy for us to spend other people's (meaning yours) money.

Just wanted to say I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed response. Something to think on, I guess. Hopefully I can make a decision and post about all the delicious meat I'm making soon!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I know the curious poster has probably already decided on the Thermoworks, but here’s my (frankly bizarre) story of why I switched from a maverick to the Smoke:

One of the Maverick’s probes stopped reading correctly in both ports on the transmitter, so i ordered a new probe. The new probe also read out the exact same incorrect temperature (like 155* at room temp) as the other, used probe. Threw my hands up at that and ordered a Smoke on Black Friday. Also, the remote receiver is smaller, and has a lanyard. The base unit, where you set the temps, has a very sturdy magnet on the back. It’s much simpler to program than the Maverick, as well.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Honestly it looks like the brisket you did was really lacking in fat - I destroyed the first one I made and then did a bunch of reading here and bought Aaron Franklin's book, which mentions needing about a 1/4 inch fat cap turned to the hot side of your smoker (so in my case, as in his, cook it fat side up) until the brisket it all the way through the stall, at which point he wraps it in pink butcher paper (not foil) and brings it up to around 210-ish, or until it feels jiggly in your hands. Been doing it this way for awhile and all subsequent briskets have turned out amazing.

In regards to the fat cap thing, always look for prime grade or equivalent brisket - Aaron's book has a ton of stuff about meat quality and the choice poo poo you get at the grocery stores just doesn't cut it. I get mine either from my local butcher (wayyy out of the city and out where they actually raise the cattle) and tell them how I want it cut and have also had a lot of good luck with the Prime whole packers (not the more expensive Choice grade Flats) from Costco (at only $2.99 a lb - PBUC).

I should mention that I didn't trim much of the fat. I evened it down to around 1/2-1/4", erring on the side of leaving a little too much. Fat side was up while it was smoking.

Infinite Karma posted:

Interesting. Is that 205 target for whole packers rather than just the flat? I wasn't able to find a ton on what temp I should consider it done at.

Also, beyond hope, prayer, and time is there anything I can do to counteract that massive drop in temp that I get when I unwrap?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Blinkz0rz posted:

Interesting. Is that 205 target for whole packers rather than just the flat? I wasn't able to find a ton on what temp I should consider it done at.

Also, beyond hope, prayer, and time is there anything I can do to counteract that massive drop in temp that I get when I unwrap?
I personally never cook a brisket to 205, but every piece of meat is unique. Depending on the stall and how the last few degrees are going, I pull at 193-198 directly into a cooler to rest, and I never put it back on the smoker after I unwrap the foil, either.

The point has a lot more fat and connective tissue than the flat, so there's more juice to give you a buffer for overcooking. It's hard to cook them both together and have them both be properly done - a point might be perfect at 205, but a flat will usually be too dry.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Costco had prime packers for 3.99 or so last week which made them around $45-$50 for a full packer. In retrospect should have grabbed one but spent enough on Christmas food and presents at the time I couldn't do it. Kicking myself now.

And that is the problem with brisket. Screw up a pork shoulder (which you really have to try) you are out $12 bucks. Screwing up a brisket which is a lot easier to do is kind of ouchy in the wallet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lawnie posted:

I know the curious poster has probably already decided on the Thermoworks, but here’s my (frankly bizarre) story of why I switched from a maverick to the Smoke:

One of the Maverick’s probes stopped reading correctly in both ports on the transmitter, so i ordered a new probe. The new probe also read out the exact same incorrect temperature (like 155* at room temp) as the other, used probe. Threw my hands up at that and ordered a Smoke on Black Friday. Also, the remote receiver is smaller, and has a lanyard. The base unit, where you set the temps, has a very sturdy magnet on the back. It’s much simpler to program than the Maverick, as well.

Thanks, not sure I care about the lanyard thing and I did find it a little odd they don't a have a kickstand like the maverick does. Not that I use it much. Most of the times I slip it a pocket or set it on the counter or end table and glance at it every so often.

One more dumb question, are the thermoworks wires on the probe as kink prone as the mavericks?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Costco had prime packers for 3.99 or so last week which made them around $45-$50 for a full packer. In retrospect should have grabbed one but spent enough on Christmas food and presents at the time I couldn't do it. Kicking myself now.

And that is the problem with brisket. Screw up a pork shoulder (which you really have to try) you are out $12 bucks. Screwing up a brisket which is a lot easier to do is kind of ouchy in the wallet.

FYI, that's pretty normal price for Costco prime brisket, at least in my neck of the woods.

Totally with you on the riskiness of brisket though. That being said, even bad brisket is pretty drat good if you put it on a roll with some BBQ sauce. The main problem I have is that I want to smoke a whole packer way more often than I want to entertain 10-15 people to eat the drat thing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mikey Purp posted:

FYI, that's pretty normal price for Costco prime brisket, at least in my neck of the woods.

Totally with you on the riskiness of brisket though. That being said, even bad brisket is pretty drat good if you put it on a roll with some BBQ sauce. The main problem I have is that I want to smoke a whole packer way more often than I want to entertain 10-15 people to eat the drat thing.

Same. It’s usually 3.99 when in season (here in Palm Springs that is October-April) and 2.99 if they get it in the summer (when the temps hit 110F+). They also stop carrying the frozen mahi mahi, but that’s for a different thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mikey Purp posted:

The main problem I have is that I want to smoke a whole packer way more often than I want to entertain 10-15 people to eat the drat thing.

Ain't that the truth. Been eating a 10 lb (after trimming) packer for the last week. Still, no regrets.

I usually just pull mine at 203, but the last one was a little dry for the flat. I don't inject though, which may have helped. Also didn't have much time to brine this one like I usually do.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Curing my smoker tonight for tomorrow's ribs.

So happy.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ok, being able to use big chunks of wood instead of chips is a game changer. I foresee a lot of smoked goods in my future.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
H*ck yeah dude

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I can't get it to stay at 250-300. It wants to hover at 200, probably because it's 19 degrees out. I hope these wings and ribs turn out. I guess they'll just take longer?

E: Dammit. Wings got burned to poo poo. They were over my water bowl, which is supposed to be cooler. Burned anyway. :argh:

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 1, 2018

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Turkey on the PBC. Didn't see much point in buying their turkey hanger accessory when halving it and doing it like a chicken seemed like it'd work just fine.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

gently caress the wings, ribs turned out awesome.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Just over 3 hours on the PBC, in ~28F weather. Not a bad way to start the new year.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

QuarkMartial posted:

Ok, being able to use big chunks of wood instead of chips is a game changer. I foresee a lot of smoked goods in my future.

:yeah:

Seriously, not having to open things up to add chips frequently is a great improvement. Bonus points for being able to stage your chunks over unlit coals...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I smoked another pork shoulder for pulled pork and it was great. I also did baked potatoes on the grill by the amazingribs method and they were so loving phenomenal. Highly recommended.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody else have experience with using smokers of multiple types? I currently use a propane smoker which I decided upon because I didn't want to rely on having an outlet nearby. I ended up placing it right beside one and have never moved it. :v: I'm asking because when reading about different types it said that propane smoked meats can have a sort of ham flavor to them, which I've found quite often when smoking stuff (not always) and it's a bit off putting on something like a brisket. I'm considering getting an electric but heard you get less smoke flavor with them.

Anybody have some thoughts between the two types? I'd be getting a MES 40" because it's another lazy type of smoker where I don't have to adjust vents and poo poo constantly, even though it probably won't have the flavor of a proper charcoal smoker.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Pair the MES with an AMZN smoker maze/tube.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Just put a shoulder on the WSM :D

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ended up getting the 30 inch MES. Put a 6 LB pork shoulder in at 5am today. Wanted to be sure I wasn't dealing with that tonight if it took longer than expected, being my first smoking and all. Pretty sure I just hit "the stall" so I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it back on.

Looks and smells delicious already. Can't wait to try it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I believe I am on the stall now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mine hit about 160 and was stuck for some time. This seems to be a good enough explanation for me, so I tried the foil bit. As soon as I wrapped it it started increasing at a similar speed to what it was before the stall. The entire process took about 8 hours on my 6 LB pork shoulder. Super happy with it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Pulled on the left and money muscle sliced on the right. Goddamn that was tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I had a 9lb picnic yesterday but due to the goddamn -25 Celsius temps I didn't smoke it. I did it in the oven (I know, sacrilege) at 250 for 9 hours, then a quick rest, then blasted at 500 for 20 minutes to crisp up and blister the skin, a la Kenji's technique.

It was fantastic, same texture as a typical smoke but without the flavour. Definitely a nice alternative when the weather sucks, but rest assured that as soon as it's 'warm' enough to get outside for any period of time it'll be done on one of my charcoal cookers.