Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is absolutely no need for any of that arduino& iphone app poo poo and it doesn't add anything of value. Sowing the plants takes literally 5min and you can buy a cheap and reliable drip watering system at every Home Depot. This is just an expensive toy for robot enthusiast. Also, most people who have a vegetable garden use it as a form of recreation and don't want to automate it anyway. And if you are just in it for the fresh produce and don't want to bother with growing it, there are much more sensible and cheaper options available at organic food stores.

e: This is Juicero II: Juicero's children strike back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

cheap and reliable drip watering system at every Home Depot.

Using the popularity of a form of automation in gardening doesn't seem like a particularly good argument why automation in gardening is stupid. What if the person that loves his automatic drip watering system also wants an automatic weeding system and wishes they sold that at home depot too? What if all the tasks of gardening could be automated or partially automated and you could go to home depot with a budget and a list of what tasks you like and dislike doing manually and a budget and then set up a garden that you enjoyed?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
People who grow vegetables but dislike gardening and want to have robot setups in their garden and would rather pay for that than vegetables and also like maintaining robots more than vegetables will probably like it a lot.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
exactly

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Who's going to have a robot farm in their yard? Fewer and fewer people are even able to afford yards of their own. Who would pay for the robot yard farm on a rental property?

As it is, a lot of places don't even allow you to use significant portions of your property for anything but lawn and ornamental gardening. I can't imagine a lot of people would be thrilled if you turned 90% of your yard into Robocrop.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bates posted:

People who grow vegetables but dislike gardening and want to have robot setups in their garden and would rather pay for that than vegetables and also like maintaining robots more than vegetables will probably like it a lot.

Lots of people like to cook but actually like most of the work done for them and that is why blue apron was super popular. People that want to garden but only the fun parts absolutely is a thing.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

With increasing marijuana legalization across the board, I could see a robot designed to tend five or so plants having at least niche appeal.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Growing some food for savings and fun is amazingly easy and the market for tech dorks that want a robo gardener will be tiny. Like yeah if you could make a robot that can do all the tasks required for a hundred bucks then mby but it's not just watering and weeding. None of the tasks are hard to do or learn but they are many and varied. Watering is the prime time to just be near and check your plants for signs of sickness, stress or pests or time to harvest.

Also there are loving hundreds of homesteader channels on YouTube heaps of people go off grid and self sufficient. You don't know them because they don't come to your mums basement.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roomba lawnmowers are already a thing, and they're taking care of people's lawns already. Right now, you have to mark the areas it's not meant to mow down (flower patches, produce) with wires pinned to the ground.
Next thing, it will be able to tell what to not-mow-down autonomously, without you having to mark it.
Next thing after that, it might as well also learn to distinguish and pluck weed from areas it shouldn't mow, but can still reach (you could probably literally pull that off with single-motor shears on a single-motor flip out arm).
Next thing after that, it will tweet "YOUR poo poo IS READY FOR PICKING, MEATBAG" and attach photos of the particularly ripe automatos when it encounters some.

It will definitely be more of a niche thing for nerds and enthusiasts and the practical impact will be less "self sufficiency produce for them pyorple" and more whitecollar dads lazing in a recliner, watching the sucker go (and getting up to get it unstuck once in a while).

I feel like the most socially benefit optimistic pitch I can do is that automato pickers will be super relevant for vertical farming and hydroponics. If it enables the designers to pack the stuff into not necessarily at all human-accessible racks allowing it to be stacked in stupidly dense rooms and buildings that will never have to facilitate for entry of a person shaped person and only gonna focus on density of the produce and efficient use of light and water, the productivity (which is already pretty impressive in current designs) will shoot through all kinds of roofs.

So the hope here is that automatoes will be so cheap you'll easily be able to afford some real organic automato with the side of soylent even when living off your UBI.

Teal fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 2, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is a lot of work going into soft robots. E.g., hollow plastic structures reinforced with a simple skeleton that can grip and release things gently. It's not as versatile as a human hand, but it doesn't need to be. I don't see them being used for weeding, but they'd be a sure fit for fruit trees.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tasmantor posted:

Also there are loving hundreds of homesteader channels on YouTube heaps of people go off grid and self sufficient. You don't know them because they don't come to your mums basement.

I like the concept people on youtube are off the grid. Mostly because it's not even that silly or confusing a concept. It just means that youtube became such a dead simple and ubiquitous thing now. Not too long ago having internet and the ability to produce video programming meant having the absolute maximum amount of infrastructure a house could have. Now it means a cell phone you turn off when you aren't using it.

And that is how technology goes, it changes from cutting edge prototypes that only dedicated people can use because it's complicated and rickety and time consuming to being just something everyone is used to that has the worst UI parts ironed out until everyone can use it.

Like Maybe no one is going to rush out to buy that big ball of arduinos connected by exposed wires and put it in their homestead. But at some point when the home depot drip feeder starts having a version that is 8 dollars more but relays some data to your cell phone someone would buy that. Then once you already have the data driven stuff why not have it only turn on the water when the soil needs it? Then once it's turning it's water on and off why not have it scheduled in adding some fertilizer in the water as needed. etc. step by step.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Teal posted:

It will definitely be more of a niche thing for nerds and enthusiasts and the practical impact will be less "self sufficiency produce for them pyorple" and more whitecollar dads lazing in a recliner, watching the sucker go (and getting up to get it unstuck once in a while).

I feel like the most socially benefit optimistic pitch I can do is that automato pickers will be super relevant for vertical farming and hydroponics. If it enables the designers to pack the stuff into not necessarily at all human-accessible racks allowing it to be stacked in stupidly dense rooms and buildings that will never have to facilitate for entry of a person shaped person and only gonna focus on density of the produce and efficient use of light and water, the productivity (which is already pretty impressive in current designs) will shoot through all kinds of roofs.

So the hope here is that automatoes will be so cheap you'll easily be able to afford some real organic automato with the side of soylent even when living off your UBI.

The first one is already here people are making essentially router tables in their yards like in the video up thread, that group probably wont grow(much) for a long time.

Vertical farming and Hydro/Aquaponics at large scales are industrial farming, and as already pointed out, that is a game where the players outlay millions. Every Cessna doesn't have auto landing despite the fact it is an old commercial tech.

I'll try again, Gardening is all ready so loving cheep and easy at the home level that automation will not make a big difference. The labour required is varied hard to simplify, not good for automation) and very very time inexpensive. You can tend a patch that will make an appreciable difference to your bills in less than an hour a day, and not even everyday, you can go on holiday/get hospitalised w/e and it will look after itself for a while without you.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Netherlands are a perfect example of how these large scale industrial farming operations could look like in the future

This Tiny Country Feeds the World

Growing all our food in these highly productive facilities and then turning traditional farm land back into wilderness is pretty much the optimal solution for the environment.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hm, the automato picking machine will need a lot of work before it can pick tomatoes while simultaneously providing the sexappeal of a shirtless worker.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The future of gardening is ugly shipping containers shining unnatural pink led ultraviolet light to tightly packed automated shelves of veggies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkYuvsRnjQ&t=23s

Somewhat less romantic than a tomato patch.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Square Peg posted:

The future of gardening is ugly shipping containers shining unnatural pink led ultraviolet light to tightly packed automated shelves of veggies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkYuvsRnjQ&t=23s

Somewhat less romantic than a tomato patch.

This video is really interesting and I think it's awesome because I can totally see this working in sea/space/underground habitats, etc.

As he says several times throughout, it's not a replacement - open field farming is just too drat cost-efficient to be able to compete with it, but it certainly still has many applications.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pochoclo posted:

open field farming is just too drat cost-efficient to be able to compete with it, but it certainly still has many applications.

It's circular though, there is all sorts of foods we can't produce efficiently that we just don't eat much. Like no one can farm a truffle at all so it's hundreds of dollars per serving and wasabi root is so hard to cultivate it is eaten with just one dish and even then is almost always fake. Like it wouldn't make sense to find a new way to grow potatoes that we already can produce easily but there is room if someone wants to farm like, fiddleheads and mangostiens that people like but can't currently be produced in good bulk at prices that make eating them worth it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

As he says several times throughout, it's not a replacement - open field farming is just too drat cost-efficient to be able to compete with it, but it certainly still has many applications.

That will start to change pretty rapidly. The technology is improving really quickly, energy costs are dropping (not as quick as they could, but still) and open field farming will become more and more difficult. Global warming is already causing extremes in weather and the aquifers that a huge portion of the world farming relies on (mostly NA) are rapidly depleting. It's not economic now.... But it will be. And more environmentally friendly, which capitalism is happy to ignore right now, but will hopefully be more significant in the future.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Pochoclo posted:

This video is really interesting and I think it's awesome because I can totally see this working in sea/space/underground habitats, etc.

This is a bad take, the cost of the tech will go down, the ability to design and evolve the plants around rapid indoor production will go up; losing product from nature will be minimal if not eliminated, transport an harvesting will go down in price and be more competitive against open fields, growing seasons will hinder one and not the other, and many consumers will be drawn to 'no pesticide' food.

Not to mention the legal pot market is going to stimulate vertical farming with a high value product that will accelerate the tech.

Saying something will never overtake how it is practiced now has a bad track record.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Vertical farming also gains in being able to be close to the final destination, don't have to ship it far if it was grown in the 'burbs.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tasmantor posted:

Vertical farming also gains in being able to be close to the final destination, don't have to ship it far if it was grown in the 'burbs.

Will SOMEBODY PLEASE think of the truck drivers?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tasmantor posted:

Which is a huge deal for what people eat since we super select food that can ship well over food that tastes good.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A post of what image detection can already do in the real world:

- Face detection: find faces in a image
- Face detection: "Who is this face?"
- Face verification: "Is this the Bill Laden?"
- Emotion detection: "is this face stressed?"
- Age Detection: "is this a boy or a young teenager?"
- Gender Detection: "is this person female or male?"
- Attention Measurement: "is this person distracted?"
- Ethnicity Detection: "is this middle-east asia face?"

In the future you will never be true alone in some places like a train station or a airport, something will be looking at your face all the time and reading your emotions, and they will know if you are sad, stressed and so on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Face detection's definitely suffered from sampling bias.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

A post of what image detection can already do in the real world:

- Face detection: find faces in a image
- Face detection: "Who is this face?"
- Face verification: "Is this the Bill Laden?"
- Emotion detection: "is this face stressed?"
- Age Detection: "is this a boy or a young teenager?"
- Gender Detection: "is this person female or male?"
- Attention Measurement: "is this person distracted?"
- Ethnicity Detection: "is this middle-east asia face?"

In the future you will never be true alone in some places like a train station or a airport, something will be looking at your face all the time and reading your emotions, and they will know if you are sad, stressed and so on.

A global weather style map of people's emotion would be really cool

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A global weather style map of people's emotion would be really cool

It will make me happy if instead of "is rich people making a lot of money gambling in wall street" we use a metric like "is people happy?", but if it involver massive mass surveillance, maybe not?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

It will make me happy if instead of "is rich people making a lot of money gambling in wall street" we use a metric like "is people happy?", but if it involver massive mass surveillance, maybe not?

I think if massive surveillance is going to happen we may as well get some sweet maps out of it. It'd be great to park like a really horrendously colored Lamborghini somewhere and watch all of the people around it become indignant as they pass by.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea realtime feedback of emotional impact will open the floodgates of internet trolling into meatspace

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cant wait to be constantly misgendered by software as it scans my big ugly mannish trans woman face. Gonna be rad. :)

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Ew, now I'm imagining some sort of app that scans people's reaction to your appearance and gives you a ranking at the end of the day so that you know what to wear...those shoes cost you 2 attraction points Rachel.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

Ew, now I'm imagining some sort of app that scans people's reaction to your appearance and gives you a ranking at the end of the day so that you know what to wear...those shoes cost you 2 attraction points Rachel.

Building this would not be too hard, since you can use already existing apps..

https://www.faceplusplus.com/
https://www.kairos.com/features
https://www.betafaceapi.com/wpa/

...is only these API's are expensive, so you either write your own algorithm or have a solid business model around it.

Maybe we can target womens and make "Baby language translators". If we can make a phone app that tell newbie parents why a baby is crying, it will be a advance for both parents and babies.

The next step would be "Husband lie detector", telling womens if the husband is lying.

For men we can make a "Lying women detector".

We can use the API's that check stress levels and make the apps like some sort of polygraph.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
I love tools, they make life better but seriously it didn't take long to learn how the purple around you feel about things. Like if after a year or two you can't read your partner's mood accurately most of the time, or after a few weeks learn what the baby wants from the cry/actions then you got issues. If the tools are made to help autistics then cool but the only help that will offer most people is that if someone is using their phone to see how you feel then they are an autistic or good level sperg Lord gently caress head.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

Cant wait to be constantly misgendered by software as it scans my big ugly mannish trans woman face. Gonna be rad. :)

I'd not be so worried; we had a demo of at the time apparently cutting-ege recognizer in hallway of our university a few months back and it tagged me as almost perfectly 50/50 impossible to gender even though I never made any effort to make that distinction difficult; I guess I had regular fat fucker face and long hair.

I feel like gender-read will return a lot of "ambiguous" even among cispeople, let alone among transpeople who usually do try to give off specific cues.

It did pin my age within 2 years though, and the emotion reading was pretty great too.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

paternity suitor posted:

Why not cut out the meaty middlemen and just train a machine that will tell you that you look like poo poo on its own, before you head out?

I'm borderline ignorant of how to look good, but I wouldn't mind to point a camera at myself and get

"Tie just looks like poo poo, dump it"
"Shirt collar is crooked"
"Socks don't match"

Asking a fellow person how do you look is awkward as gently caress, but I would feel less bothered by taking advice from cold unfeeling heap of algebra to help me with choice between a paper sack and a noose.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seems a good idea.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Algorithms have been nothing but good for us so far! If only one could tell me how to dress :downs:

Who writes that winner? Apple, Google or Amazon gonna get the right to tell us all how we should dress? gently caress silicon valley I don't think anyone should be able to tell you how to dress, not fashion mags, not highschool kid, not some weird group think you believe in and sure as gently caress not the people who think "move fast and break things" is a cool attitude.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tasmantor posted:

Algorithms have been nothing but good for us so far! If only one could tell me how to dress :downs:

Who writes that winner? Apple, Google or Amazon gonna get the right to tell us all how we should dress? gently caress silicon valley I don't think anyone should be able to tell you how to dress, not fashion mags, not highschool kid, not some weird group think you believe in and sure as gently caress not the people who think "move fast and break things" is a cool attitude.

Firstly, there's some basic aesthetics that vast majority of people can agree on; it's not like you have to appeal to Vogue to point out someone's shirt is inside out.

Secondly, this is easily something you could end up being able to build on your own (or as a small community), feeding it a dataset of "looks you like" and "looks you don't like". Even today neural nets won't have a slightest issue learning basic things like clashing colors.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Tasmantor posted:

The best part is you don't have to be a person, you can be a corporate vision. I'm not Robert, I'm Amazabro winter, how can I be of service today?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Teal posted:

Firstly, there's some basic aesthetics that vast majority of people can agree on; it's not like you have to appeal to Vogue to point out someone's shirt is inside out.
But like all purely aesthetic choices, what if wearing your shirt inside out becomes the new coolness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guavanaut posted:

But like all purely aesthetic choices, what if wearing your shirt inside out becomes the new coolness?

Thinking about it, being told by an AI to flip your shirt the right way out might be exactly the thing that might trigger that trend.

• Locked thread