Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I think she will be borderline playable in block draft to create recursion value on human vampire wave tactics, if you see her after drafting some kings commission/call to feast/legions landing type poo poo.

I am not putting her in my Vampire EDH deck tho.

If you see her after drafting Queen's Commission/Call to Feast/Legion's Landing someone passed their picks, as it'll be New/New/Old draft order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

meanolmrcloud posted:

They are just preserving design space and being mindful of the precedence they are setting going forward. You can’t make powerful mythics because...because...because you just can’t.

They have made powerful mythics and players whined about how all the good cards are mythic.

Remember Voice of Resurgence?

Remember the deck literally called Mythic Conscription?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mythics should be EDH fodder at best, and overcosted interesting Johnny cards at worst. If a mythic is constructed playable.......it is a problem.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

They have made powerful mythics and players whined about how all the good cards are mythic.

Remember Voice of Resurgence?

Remember the deck literally called Mythic Conscription?

There is actually nothing that Wizards can do to solve the mythic problem. Make the cards amazing and people will complain that Standard is too expensive because of $40 mythics. Make them EDH fodder and people complain when the hard-to-pull card they get in a pack is worthless.

Hey that last sentence reminds me - we're all here supposedly enlightened to the fact that opening packs just to find cards is horrible value, so none of us are doing it. So why are we complaining that mythics are EDH/Johnny trash? Is it just a psychological response to seeing that red symbol?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PJOmega posted:

If you see her after drafting Queen's Commission/Call to Feast/Legion's Landing someone passed their picks, as it'll be New/New/Old draft order.

Oh yeah. So unless Rivals iterates on poo poo that spews out Vampire tokens to give you a signpost, she's a risky pick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It is nice that her ability triggers off token deaths, unlike a lot of similar triggered abilities.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

There is actually nothing that Wizards can do to solve the mythic problem. Make the cards amazing and people will complain that Standard is too expensive because of $40 mythics. Make them EDH fodder and people complain when the hard-to-pull card they get in a pack is worthless.

Hey that last sentence reminds me - we're all here supposedly enlightened to the fact that opening packs just to find cards is horrible value, so none of us are doing it. So why are we complaining that mythics are EDH/Johnny trash? Is it just a psychological response to seeing that red symbol?

There is actually plenty they can do. If the power level of cards was more balanced across all the rarities and standard was less of a shitshow, card prices would make more sense. Masters set releases at this point basically doom standard to rolling the dice to see if a new card they create actually makes waves outside of standard or not and that isn't looking all that promising.

Scarab god is going to be bulk once it rotates. Chandra is going to be sub 10$ in a hurry. All that is going to be left is a few roleplayers + the fast lands holding any value at all. Nothing major or significant.

Khans might be the last good standard set we get for a long time and even it had problems.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 2, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BJPaskoff posted:

Because people love to complain and it is easier to complain that just say "hmm seems fine"

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

There is actually plenty they can do. If the power level of cards was more balanced across all the rarities and standard was less of a shitshow, card prices would make more sense. Masters set releases at this point basically doom standard to rolling the dice to see if a new card they create actually makes waves outside of standard or not and that isn't looking all that promising.

Scarab god is going to be bulk once it rotates. Chandra is going to be sub 10$ in a hurry. All that is going to be left is a few roleplayers + the fast lands holding any value at all. Nothing major or significant.

Khans might be the last good standard set we get for a long time and even it had problems.

Chandra's fine in modern, won't dip sub 25.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tubgoat posted:

Chandra's fine in modern, won't dip sub 25.

I think the number of cards that lose $0 upon rotation is extremely low, and I'm pretty sure Chandra is not one of them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like the fact Elenda manages to get owned by Fumigate

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

quote:

Shrine Altisaur - 4W

Creature - Dinosaur

If a source would deal damage to another Dinosaur you control, prevent all but 1 of that damage.

3/4

That Merfolk is A Good Card and might actually lead to something once Energy rotates out/gets banned I suppose

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Katana Gomai posted:

Shrine Altisaur - 4W

Creature - Dinosaur

If a source would deal damage to another Dinosaur you control, prevent all but 1 of that damage.

3/4

I look forward to a set of X/1 dinosaurs so that we don't have too much fun with the 5-drop.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

God, this is cool, but probably unplayable. Needs a bigger body or to be 3CMC, I think it would be printable as a 2/2 for 1WB.

Although, I have just noticed it's *any* creature dying puts a counter on her, not just friendlies, so that's something. Maybe if a good sac outlet is in the set and Vampires have a few more good token generators.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Path to Discovery
3G
Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, it explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Although, I have just noticed it's *any* creature dying puts a counter on her, not just friendlies, so that's something. Maybe if a good sac outlet is in the set and Vampires have a few more good token generators.

Still a tough sell. It's a 4 mana, multicolor, 1/1 lifelink with no actual text on it until something else dies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seafloor Oracle, Shrine Altisaur, and Path to Discovery all feel like they might clear the hurdle of being playable build-arounds.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Seafloor Oracle, Shrine Altisaur, and Path to Discovery all feel like they might clear the hurdle of being playable build-arounds.

I really want Path to Discovery to be a thing but it might be too slow. You might be able to retool the GW Aggro list to fit it in. That way you get move value on your 1 and 2 drop Embalm creatures. At the least I think it replaces Panharmonicon in my explore deck I posted a page or two ago since you still should get 2 explores off creatures that already explore and your constrictors and gearhulks gain it as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

meanolmrcloud posted:

They are just preserving design space and being mindful of the precedence they are setting going forward. You can’t make powerful mythics because...because...because you just can’t.

How soon we forget there is a $30 mythic rare in standard. Right now.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tilonalli's Summoner - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman (?) - Rare
1/1
Ascend
"Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, create X 1/1 elemental tokens tapped and attacking.
At the beginning of the next end step, exile them unless you have the City's Blessing."

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How soon we forget there is a $30 mythic rare in standard. Right now.

Two actually!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Katana Gomai posted:

Two actually!

Chandra isn’t $30 anymore.

I see her going the way of Nahiri. She’ll lose a little value immediately after rotation, then will slowly trickle down until she’s hovering around $10-15. A little higher than Nahiri because she already has some set usefulness in Modern outside of control decks specifically designed for her.

Tainen posted:

1/1
Ascend
"Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, create X 1/1 elemental tokens tapped and attacking.
At the beginning of the next end step, exile them unless you have the City's Blessing."

I really like this even if it isn’t going to see standard play.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tainen posted:

1/1
Ascend

Wait, permanents constantly check for whether you ascend, right? so this turns on ascend with 5 lands and a blank board, right? Just swing and tap out.

It feels unlikely there’s a good incentive to try hard to ascend in constructed but this feels like it’ll be the most reliable way to do so.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Chandra isn’t $30 anymore.

I see her going the way of Nahiri. She’ll lose a little value immediately after rotation, then will slowly trickle down until she’s hovering around $10-15. A little higher than Nahiri because she already has some set usefulness in Modern outside of control decks specifically designed for her.

I really like this even if it isn’t going to see standard play.

Nahiri had an entire deck built around her at one point where chandra won't even get that. She is a 1-2 of in modern at best right now and none of those are super popular decks. Price memory is the only thing going to prop her up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chandra is going to go down, but she is playable in Modern and Legacy so she won't totally crater

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Living end is 34 bucks and climbing? Guess what card I am selling in a loving hurry. I think I bought my playset for 20 bucks last year?

The leaf deck is mediocre at best, don't buy into this hype.

The two good leylines are almost 30 a piece, holy gently caress.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 2, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was able to trade Chandra and a handful of 3-5 dollar standard/modern cards for a Revised Wheel of Fortune the other day. Seemed like a good deal to get a Blue Chip cardboard rectangle.

Historically, how far ahead of rotation should one look to unload their Scarab God type cards to avoid it tanking to a dollar rare?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Living end is 34 bucks an climbing? Guess what card I am selling in a loving hurry.

Doing the same. The deck is fun, mind you, but I dont forsee it ever ending up competitively viable

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

And at uncommon? :trumppop:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

that is outstanding

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A perfectly fine card, IMO. Merfolk were already arguably the strongest archetype in limited, though not quite there in constructed. A nice, cheap anthem fish is welcome in both. UG cost doesn't seem awkward at all as long as Botanical Sanctum is in Standard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hurray. Another 2-drop Merfolk lord.

:negative:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Timestream Navigator 1U
Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city’s blessing for the rest of the game.)
2UU, T, Put Timestream Navigator on the bottom of its owner’s library: Take an extra turn after this one. Activate this ability only if you have the city’s blessing.
1/1

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Katana Gomai posted:

That Merfolk is A Good Card and might actually lead to something once Energy rotates out/gets banned I suppose

I don't think a four mana 2/3 is going to make much impact in standard, even if a Merfolk deck materializes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Living end is 34 bucks and climbing? Guess what card I am selling in a loving hurry. I think I bought my playset for 20 bucks last year?

The two good leylines are almost 30 a piece, holy gently caress.

Turns out that people like casting Ancestral Vision and Cryptic for free.... Who would've thunk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tainen posted:

Timestream Navigator 1U
Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city’s blessing for the rest of the game.)
2UU, T, Put Timestream Navigator on the bottom of its owner’s library: Take an extra turn after this one. Activate this ability only if you have the city’s blessing.
1/1

This feels like it slots in okay to a treasure thing and might be one of the most playable timewalk effects in a while?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think a four mana 2/3 is going to make much impact in standard, even if a Merfolk deck materializes.

I will definitely try to make a merfolk deck, but I doubt there will be more than two of these in it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Turns out that people like casting Ancestral Vision and Cryptic for free.... Who would've thunk.

A free cryptic on turn 7 isn't exactly a huge perk but casting vision for free is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

A free cryptic on turn 7 isn't exactly a huge perk but casting vision for free is pretty dope.

I have no idea if that deck is good or not but people really like it and the gameplay does seem pretty fun...