Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xw9tD5Z4aM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

This is pure magic

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, I thought the people in here talking a out solo dropping squads were just dick waving for the longest time, but having tried it a couple times now I can say it is actually really fun. I find that if I can survive to the end game solo it becomes a lot easier to make it into the last few circles because you are trying to keep track of 2-3 squads of people rather than like ten solo players. Plus you have a lot less dudes who are just sitting in hidey holes waiting for you. And especially later game people are far less likely to take potshots at you unless they can verify that you are alone and not part of a squad. Made top ten total players 2 out 3 times so far, and will definitely be playing this way a lot more from now on.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

DrNutt posted:

Man, I thought the people in here talking a out solo dropping squads were just dick waving for the longest time, but having tried it a couple times now I can say it is actually really fun. I find that if I can survive to the end game solo it becomes a lot easier to make it into the last few circles because you are trying to keep track of 2-3 squads of people rather than like ten solo players. Plus you have a lot less dudes who are just sitting in hidey holes waiting for you. And especially later game people are far less likely to take potshots at you unless they can verify that you are alone and not part of a squad. Made top ten total players 2 out 3 times so far, and will definitely be playing this way a lot more from now on.

Yea I hardly play regular solo now. It's great fun sneaking around groups of players, picking off one and then running for your life while they hunt you. Also a lot of the time you just dont want to engage so there's an almost metal gear solid like feel to the sneaking around a bunch of people. Though I won a game solo and my BP wasnt rewarded so that was great...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

How does NL so consistently produce this quality content :allears:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is it best to stay near the edge of the circle or somewhere closer to the middle? Assuming there's a vehicle available, I mean. Both options seem viable but I don't know if there's a better choice here.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elman posted:

Is it best to stay near the edge of the circle or somewhere closer to the middle? Assuming there's a vehicle available, I mean. Both options seem viable but I don't know if there's a better choice here.

If your goal is making it as far as possible, and you get a transport before the first two zones, then the best bet is to just sit it out on the outskirts (assuming that you don't need to loot more). Starting with the third zone it really depends on the number of players alive and zone configuration.

Typically I/my stack will drive for the first two zones, and then go on foot from there. We rarely stick ourselves further than the first third inwards from the edge of the zone - only to fight for drops or if it's some of the only meaningful cover remaining.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Elman posted:

Matter of preference I guess. If everyone went for the middle, that one little shack would be a bloodbath. Chocotaco always goes close to the center in a defensible building but he's a much better player and is always looking for a fight. When I play his way I get killed so quickly.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Played my first game in over a week and earned a chicken dinner. Felt pretty good, but I ended up logging off because I felt too jittery after the win.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Hiding in buildings in the middle of the circle and in general is boring though

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The thing is there's this awkward phase between the bigger circles and the smaller ones (I think it's after the third circle?) where the area's big enough that you need a vehicle to reach the circle if you're near the edge and get unlucky, but it's also small enough that using a vehicle just doesn't feel safe since you'll be super easy to spot and you'll be spotted whenever you decide to pull over, which will get you surrounded and killed (on that note, yesterday we were holed up in an attic and a 2 man squad arrived and threw 8 frag nades at us :saddowns: ).

The fact that I suck at long range engagements probably doesn't help (I only bought the game recently, I'm still getting used to measuring distances and zeroing).

Parallel Playa posted:

Hiding in buildings in the middle of the circle and in general is boring though

I don't get this. You need to move to get to the middle of the circle and there's more action there. A lot of the time I find the choice is between moving around and being active to get near the middle, or sitting near the edge camping, hoping to catch stragglers as they walk by. How is the latter more fun?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elman posted:

How is the latter more fun?

Why bother sweating if you can just wipe rear end with the survivors?

E: Though yes, before someone rushes to correct me, this approach will get you hosed if the 4th-5th zone forces you to move towards that building/compound in the open, even if it is a destructible shack.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 2, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am not good at this game, but sometimes something magical enough happens that I have to break out the video editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Ib-D-dSIs

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Elman posted:

If you have a vehicle you should be playing on the edge of the circle until it's so small that the entire circle will hear you drive around.

This is because the edge of the circle gives you a reasonable indicator of where your opponents are going to be coming from. When it's starting to get small, that's when you want to be rushing a house in the middle.

Rushing a house in the centre early on is the best strategy though if you get lucky on loot on the drop as long as you don't mind a snooze festival!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

abigserve posted:

Rushing a house in the centre early on is the best strategy though if you get lucky on loot on the drop as long as you don't mind a snooze festival!

For lack of a better plan, if you are great at clicking man heads, then the drive to a central building will likely involve spotting a care package drop or a nearby gunfight which are good opportunities for non-snoozefesting.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Elman posted:

I don't get this. You need to move to get to the middle of the circle and there's more action there. A lot of the time I find the choice is between moving around and being active to get near the middle, or sitting near the edge camping, hoping to catch stragglers as they walk by. How is the latter more fun?

I prefer dropping in a contested place and just running towards gunfire from then on. No one in their right mind should bother engaging people in houses - especially in game modes other than solos - so while the shooting gallery can be fun, it just doesn't get very intense.

I like being on the move and not always fighting on my own terms :shrug:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I haven't been 100% keeping up with the thread, but have they hosed up the damage calculations? I sometimes body blast a dude with a shotgun early match (once last night I saw him land properly and not take damage) and get <20 hit points or something.
I got two kills that took quite a few rounds each (like both people had full health) and got something like 21 hit points.

Does it not take armor into account any more or something?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I haven't been 100% keeping up with the thread, but have they hosed up the damage calculations? I sometimes body blast a dude with a shotgun early match (once last night I saw him land properly and not take damage) and get <20 hit points or something.

If you're talking about shotguns specifically I believe one pellet is counted as the 'seed' pellet where all the damage is calculated from. Hit somebody in the arm, that's going to do all limb damage.

Hit points in end of round calculations is done by 5 hp to the point. 20 points of damage is one outright kill from 100 to 0.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're talking about shotguns specifically I believe one pellet is counted as the 'seed' pellet where all the damage is calculated from. Hit somebody in the arm, that's going to do all limb damage.

Hit points in end of round calculations is done by 5 hp to the point. 20 points of damage is one outright kill from 100 to 0.

Could you rephrase that seed pellet bit for stupid me? Also, have they mentioned reason why HP calculation is so granular?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are there some, like, hot tips that all goons should know about this game? I do well, but I get shot in the back a lot or I watch death cams and I look very oblivious or dumb.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jokes posted:

Are there some, like, hot tips that all goons should know about this game? I do well, but I get shot in the back a lot or I watch death cams and I look very oblivious or dumb.

1) always be moving
2) dont shoot unless you can confirm the kill and know you dont have friends coming up behind you (ask slim_mat how I hosed all of us by shooting at a guy in the blue zone, alerting his team at the bottom of the hill and the team at the top of the hill across from us)
3) dont be doctor disrespect and take forever to figure out your inventory, you just need heals and ammo

that's my tips thanks for reading

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Specifically my examples were with a pump and an ump (separate games), where I took someone from 100 to 0 both times, with the ump game having extra damage to other people.
(And the pump game was a solid body blast across a room at a guy with a vest, then the second shot to down him, then a third to kill him.
Really should've left him downed so i had a shell for his friend with an m16 who came charging in...)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 2, 2018

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Could you rephrase that seed pellet bit for stupid me? Also, have they mentioned reason why HP calculation is so granular?

A shotgun shoots 9 pellets per shot. (Mostly, a couple might fire less, check that butt-site)

One of these pellets is counted as the magical one which determines the damage modifier of all the pellets. If the magic pellet hits the head, every pellet that hits the player anywhere gets the headshot modifier, and similarly, if one pellet hits the arm and 8 hit head/chest/neck, congrats, you just hit him in the arm with 9 pellets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Mash posted:

A shotgun shoots 9 pellets per shot. (Mostly, a couple might fire less, check that butt-site)

One of these pellets is counted as the magical one which determines the damage modifier of all the pellets. If the magic pellet hits the head, every pellet that hits the player anywhere gets the headshot modifier, and similarly, if one pellet hits the arm and 8 hit head/chest/neck, congrats, you just hit him in the arm with 9 pellets.

I got it. Thanks a lot!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So what happens if the seed pellet misses and like 4 others hit?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I believe that's counted as a miss. Why sometimes if you get a bad shot where they're only half in your cross hairs and it feels like they should have at least taken some damage it just does nothing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well that sucks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soarer posted:

I believe that's counted as a miss. Why sometimes if you get a bad shot where they're only half in your cross hairs and it feels like they should have at least taken some damage it just does nothing.

Well that explains the times I've been like "what the gently caress, I got a billion blood splatters!" after emptying a pump shotty into someone and them just taking no damage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Soarer posted:

This answers so many questionable engagements I had where I’d winged someone a few times and ultimately did zero damage.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a way to get it to default to FPP? It keeps setting me back to TPP after every game.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Soarer posted:

That also explains some issues I've had with rails and other objects that obstruct some of the pellets...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dangerllama posted:

Is there a way to get it to default to FPP? It keeps setting me back to TPP after every game.

No and also you still can't set button prompts manually so if you have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in (I like to switch back and forth for GTA5) it still shows you the Xbox prompts as though you are the kind of disgusting cretin that would play PUBG with a controller.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Soarer posted:

this explains so loving much.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
"no one ever cheats" is more aggravating than "everyone cheats" at this point. People think the only form of hacking is blatantly speedhacking around hipfiring 80 headshots a minute. It's come to the point where it seems like every conversation on hacking is scripted, invariably someone will chime in with "that doesnt look suspicious at all, gosh no one wants to admit they got outplayed/maybe youre just bad????". No you're completely right, this game doesn't have a massive cheater problem it has to be everyone who plays this game can't admit to being bad.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've only ever run into one actual guaranteed cheater in NA FPP. I've seen a couple questionable replays but nothing that seems like obvious cheating. Just report them and move on. There's a ton of luck in the game and you're gonna die a ton anyway.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Can't wait to see what's said about this one https://gfycat.com/VictoriousBogusHammerheadshark

or this one https://gfycat.com/AccurateShockingAustraliankestrel

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

AppleDan posted:

Can't wait to see what's said about this one https://gfycat.com/VictoriousBogusHammerheadshark

That's clearly a no-recoil hack. Haven't seen video of that posted before.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why do people lean while shooting when they're in the open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

It's hard for me to tell hackers from non-hackers in this game apart sometimes because hell, most of the time I die it's definitely because I was out of position or some stupid mistake I made so I don't even watch killcams because I know what happened already. So because of that I can only say I've really seen a single hacker - some joker who killed me and three other people in a moving vehicle with a single M4 burst.

Those two videos appear to be pretty egregious though.