Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Android Police recommending a Greenify-alike app today. :/

What year is this? 2012?

Come on, you can't say this and not quote the app description:

"The actual Play Store description posted:

Brevent, black prevent, can app-standby (since Android 6.0, not supported on some devices) or force-stop apps without Root, prevent apps from running in long time. Brevent never brevent apps not in Bervent list. If apps are launched then quit (tapping Back or so), Brevent will app-standby them; if apps timed out in standby, or swiped from recents screen, Brevent will force-stop them.

Sorry, the link's broken--RADIUM keeps putting an extra quote at the end. Try this.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The best part is where they misspell the name of their own app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
:stare:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Come on, you can't say this and not quote the app description:

Sorry, the link's broken--RADIUM keeps putting an extra quote at the end. Try this.

dang radium to heck

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

quote:

Brevent never brevent apps not in Bervent list.

Is this some sort of Bizarro App? A Pokemon App that can only say its own name?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm looking for a stopwatch or timer app that will buzz or send some sort of sound every 15 or 30 minutes to notify me of time elapsed but the sound will stop on its own without me having to access the phone. This is for helping me track my pace during my runs.

Any suggestions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

anakha posted:

I'm looking for a stopwatch or timer app that will buzz or send some sort of sound every 15 or 30 minutes to notify me of time elapsed but the sound will stop on its own without me having to access the phone. This is for helping me track my pace during my runs.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, running apps often offer this type of feature. runkeeper for example can be configured to tell you pace or distance or whatever every x minutes. Not exactly a buzzer, but its something.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use Seconds Pro for my timer needs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a site with app recommendations for various use that isn't a horrible corrupt paid-pusher?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

anakha posted:

Any suggestions?

Don't know if it's applicable, but for other things I use an app called Tell Me The Time that lets you set an interval and it'll ding and state the current time out loud every <interval>. It might not be useful to you, though, because it uses base times to count from - if you do every 5 minutes and start at 9:23 it'll announce at 9:25, 9:30, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 2, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

Is this some sort of Bizarro App? A Pokemon App that can only say its own name?

That whole quote reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

Is there a site with app recommendations for various use that isn't a horrible corrupt paid-pusher?

I haven't been in the app store in ages, but I was over Christmas while looking for time killing games during the flight (settled on Pixel Dungeon and Pathos: Nethack) and is it just me, or is app discovery almost completely broken in the Play Store now? Like I had pretty clear search terms and got almost entirely crap, and had to refer to external sources so I could search for exact titles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MikeJF posted:

Don't know if it's applicable, but for other things I use an app called Tell Me The Time that lets you set an interval and it'll ding and state the current time out loud every <interval>. It might not be useful to you, though, because it uses base times to count from - if you do every 5 minutes and start at 9:23 it'll announce at 9:25, 9:30, etc.

I so badly want an app where I can hit a button and an alarm goes off five minutes later. Then be able to hit the button again and have the same thing happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Where do I download Videoder from?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I so badly want an app where I can hit a button and an alarm goes off five minutes later. Then be able to hit the button again and have the same thing happen.

The default clock app has a timer that works pretty much just like this. I use it often when cooking.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is basically the only thing I ever use voice commands for, shouting at my phone across the kitchen to start a countdown timer

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Been trying out the app Camera NX that brings the Pixel 2 camera features to the Pixel 1. Even though the Pixel 1 doesn't have the Pixel 2's fancy back camera for portrait mode, it uses the algorithm that the Pixel 2 uses for the front camera for doing portrait mode...and it works well!

So anyway, if you're wanting some Pixel 2 camera features, check out Camera NX.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

So am I wrong or does portrait mode just blur the background of the photo to focus on the subject in the foreground

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Blue Train posted:

So am I wrong or does portrait mode just blur the background of the photo to focus on the subject in the foreground

That's what it does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's the whole point. It's artificially applied bokeh to isolate the foreground subject.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ok with how excited people wee about it I expected it to do more, I just saw an example of it the other day

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Ok with how excited people wee about it I expected it to do more, I just saw an example of it the other day

It just does a really good job at it. Like look at how well it handles keeping hair in focus separate from the background.

Not that I go around wanting to take portraits, it's just neat how well it works.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The pictures I see with it do look cool but I wonder how much utility it really has if you don't live inside a commercial where you're constantly surrounded by photogenic 23-year-olds posing on rooftops dramatically framed against an urban skyline.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Not that I go around wanting to take portraits, it's just neat how well it works.

More people should rather than taking selfies. It's pretty neat we have a handheld device that is able to create some great looking portraits on the fly rather than having to take the picture and then spend some time editing it. A lot more interesting of shots too than just seeing the same pictures of people just with different clothes on each weekend lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It just does a really good job at it. Like look at how well it handles keeping hair in focus separate from the background.

Yea it's impressive technically definitely

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

More people should rather than taking selfies.

Agreed. (I don't do those either)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The Pixel 2 takes actually incredible selfies though. They're almost like someone else is taking a portrait shot they're so good. I would post an example but my face is too beautiful for SA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really really loved the portrait mode during my friend's wedding in October. I got some incredible looking candids of my friends.

I said it before, the first traditional camera manufacturer that teams up with Google to fuse their image AI with a larger sensor ICL camera is going to own the market for years to come. Sports photographers alone would dump it all their cash to be able to push out print ready photos from the sidelines.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there a way to make android auto begin playing music from GPM immediately without having to press the play button on the display?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Havana Affair posted:

The default clock app has a timer that works pretty much just like this. I use it often when cooking.

You're right, it was a dumb question.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Does anyone happen to know of a solution for turning texting logs / threads into PDFs? I tried SMS To PDF Converter and that didn't do bupkis.

I'm going to give SMS Backup + a whirl and see if it'll spit out some PDFable e-mails.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blackjack posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a solution for turning texting logs / threads into PDFs? I tried SMS To PDF Converter and that didn't do bupkis.

I'm going to give SMS Backup + a whirl and see if it'll spit out some PDFable e-mails.

SMS Backup+ was what I was going to recommend. Just select the conversation you want and there's a print all button in GMail. Print to PDF and you're done.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a got to Philips Hue app? I tried using the official one but it won't let me create scenes that involve multiple rooms. Paid is fine but scenes with multiple rooms and Amazon Echo integration are a must.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a got to Philips Hue app? I tried using the official one but it won't let me create scenes that involve multiple rooms. Paid is fine but scenes with multiple rooms and Amazon Echo integration are a must.

Hue Pro

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks, Hue Pro does indeed allow one to create scenes involving multiple rooms, however, through a very tedious setup process I found that the way to go if you want to use Alexa, is to create routines involving multiple rooms in the Alexa app rather than try to create a custom scene and get Alexa to use that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blackjack posted:

Take a few steps back here, why do you want these in PDFs as opposed to another format?

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
XML seemed kind of useless and I'd prefer to keep the photos displayed inline, whatever format the results are in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blackjack posted:

XML seemed kind of useless and I'd prefer to keep the photos displayed inline, whatever format the results are in.

SMS Backup+ doesn't do MMS so there are no pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

SMS Backup+ doesn't do MMS so there are no pictures.

If they're printing from the emails yes there will be pictures. It backs up the pictures to Gmail but just can't restore them to a phone.