Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Well my first run at Fenrir with my new Snow Chain and Squall BSB2 cut my time literally in half, to 32 seconds. Think I'll be able to tweak my setup a bit and get it under 30.

I will say that Fenrir's phys blink always happens at the absolute worst moments, though. Is it triggered at a specific time interval / hp threshold, or is it just sorta random?

I gave Snow Banishing Strike + Thunder God RM to take care of the blinks/hastes and it worked out pretty well, not like he has much else to do after the chain.

I managed to get my first sub 30 on Fenrir building a no heal team around his 2000 hp stock, but it's very inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

So I finished Legend diving Zack today and wow. Having instant cast 3 to start the Wisdom Mote dungeon is nice and fun.

CSB-->RW Wall--> Powerchain

Then I have Cloud
USB-->Wind spellblade-->Repeat

Ramza
USB-->Fullbreak-->Whatevers

Ysh
Armor Breakdown-->Whatever

Edge
SSB Hastegalaststand--> Wind attacks things

Hitting 15 seconds and less without issues is way nice :). I'm betting if I put TGcid mode RM on Cloud i could do it faster

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

I did not know how to convey the bittersweetness of getting good items bookended with dupes. It was a good pull.

yeah, i'm psyched about it but also it could've just been a 2/11 and i would've been just as happy, so: :shepface:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

What's ideal magicite collection? Should I bother making duplicates of the 3-stars or is there enough overlap in the buffs they give that that isn't necessary?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Bruceski posted:

What's ideal magicite collection? Should I bother making duplicates of the 3-stars or is there enough overlap in the buffs they give that that isn't necessary?

Here ya go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/71mq6p/a_guide_to_3_offensive_magicite_decks/

Short answer: Yeah, you pretty much want a bunch of duplicates of anything with Empower, especially if it's paired with attack / crit boosts or fast action.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Short answer: Yeah, you pretty much want a bunch of duplicates of anything with Empower, especially if it's paired with attack / crit boosts or fast action.

Long answer: It's also diminishing returns past the first so it's not going to kill you if you don't have five Enkidus or Mombombs at Lv99 or what have you unless you're the type of person who MUST BE OPTIMAL AT ALL TIMES.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Long answer: It's also diminishing returns past the first so it's not going to kill you if you don't have five Enkidus or Mombombs at Lv99 or what have you unless you're the type of person who MUST BE OPTIMAL AT ALL TIMES.

Definitely a good point, you absolutely don't need the most min-max setup possible - it's not going to be the difference between clearing and not clearing any of the bosses (though it might help you squeak out a sub-30 clear if you are right on the borderline).

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

100 gemmed Desch USB, fart

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
As a new player, should i be buying the new party members with the note drops? or what should i be spending them on?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

synthetik posted:

As a new player, should i be buying the new party members with the note drops? or what should i be spending them on?

Get the songs for mythril and then the abilities. Characters are a bit of a last priority because you will be swimming in character souls before too long.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

synthetik posted:

The mythril that comes with the 200note songs is definitely the best use of your notes, after that I would buy the 5* bard ability, then probably the characters: if you get a duplicate of the character later you'll get a greater or major XP egg instead which is also very useful

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

All right then. :toot:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Attestant posted:

All right then. :toot:

How do you have 80 gems?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

How do you have 80 gems?

Mixed gem and mythril pulls can leave you at weird numbers like that.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Attestant posted:

Mixed gem and mythril pulls can leave you at weird numbers like that.

Right. I forgot those were a thing now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Does Gilgamesh do anything interesting if you sit there listening to the music? I made it through a few minutes before it faded out (a second time) and then it started to swell into something new just as he died and complained he didn't get to hear the end.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Right. I forgot those were a thing now.

Fun fact! Some veterans are forever stuck with 3 gems on their account. There was some fuckup with a 97 gem pull in the past, afaik.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crazy Larry posted:

Now that I've pulled Squall's BSB2 I'm torn on whether to focus on diving him or Bartz (BSB2 + 3) for my dual cast spell blade needs. Squall would obviously have more raw power with his BSB2, but at this point my Ice synergy is actually pretty good (I have a fully dived Laguna with his USB) while Bartz would help shore up my lackluster Earth team and he's still a part of my Water team.

You could also focus on having Ramza using both Chant and Shout, since they both play well with Cloud's USB. I haven't fully explored the power of Cloud with his USB, but I've at least seen some pretty crazy stuff with people buff stacking and abusing USB/Omega Drive/Demonsblood on him.

Oh yeah Retaliate! It's like playing the game at launch all over again

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Dear friends,

I need help with Golem. I feel like I have the tools, but I'm unsure how to put them together.

Dramatis Personae:

Zidane USB/BSB2
Cloud BSB2
Paine BSB
Shadow BSB (thinking about diving him, this might be the thing that makes me do it, although preferably I'd do it without the dive)
Alphinaud USB/BSB
Vaan using USB > DnS

Buffers:
Ramza USB/SSB
OK BSB
Raines BSB
Monteblanc SSB
Deuce BSB
Gladio SSB

I tried Zidane/Cloud/Alph/Ramza/Deuce but two +30 Mag buffs wasn't enough for the three shot Tiamat. Team did okay but not nearly good enough.

help goons~

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have been sick and at my girlfriends but i did some pulls on banner 4! this time i made my girlfriend do them so i could try to avoid another 1/11, but keeping in tradition with my banner 1 & 2 pulls i went 1/11 on my first pull, except it was kain csb! thats a bit of an upgrade on galuf lmr/11. i was pretty stoked about getting the kain chain but part of the reason i was pulling on this banner was i had no ice, so i had her pull again. 4/11, abel lance x2, lightning bsb2, and rinoa chain. woo! i have the rinoa bsb with the 4 hit command already so i hope she's enough to do ice based stuff with some supports. with kain csb/usb/bsb i am having a blast blasting stuff with lightning. is it worth messing with the ether on his bsb or should i just ignore that and go csb/usb/???

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Im getting rather dissapointed and annoyed that these mote dungeons specifically go "gently caress magic physical or bust"

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Shoenin posted:

Im getting rather dissapointed and annoyed that these mote dungeons specifically go "gently caress magic physical or bust"

They're tecnically all like that. Def 4250, Res 8500. However that isn't really anything that would bar you from using magic. So far I've used Vivi in pretty much all of them, and he certainly has enough firepower to hit for quad 9999s regardless of element, and without Trance.

(edit) For reference, Magicite Res ranges from 16038 (Fenrir) to 21384 (Golem) and they don't certainly come with a Dr. Mog's :eng101: warning to only use physical.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 2, 2018

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dear friends,

I need help with Golem. I feel like I have the tools, but I'm unsure how to put them together.

Dramatis Personae:

Zidane USB/BSB2
Cloud BSB2
Paine BSB
Shadow BSB (thinking about diving him, this might be the thing that makes me do it, although preferably I'd do it without the dive)
Alphinaud USB/BSB
Vaan using USB > DnS

Buffers:
Ramza USB/SSB
OK BSB
Raines BSB
Monteblanc SSB
Deuce BSB
Gladio SSB

I tried Zidane/Cloud/Alph/Ramza/Deuce but two +30 Mag buffs wasn't enough for the three shot Tiamat. Team did okay but not nearly good enough.

help goons~

You could dive Vivi and have him run a rank 3 Meltdown. Even without a soul break he carries his own weight in pretty much all of the original 6 magicites.

Edit: Further, running a mage team is much easier on golem. You can ignore the protect and the shield mechanic. So Alphinaud, Vivi, and one of the doublecast Ninjas (Edge, Shadow, Yuffie), along with a +mag buffer and healer of your choice would probably give good results. I also found an entruster to be useful for Alphinaud since his stuff is just kinda wonky to use.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 2, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dear friends,

Dramatis Personae:

Zidane USB/BSB2
Cloud BSB2
Paine BSB
Alphinaud USB/BSB
Vaan using USB > DnS

Buffers:
Ramza USB/SSB
OK BSB
Raines BSB
Monteblanc SSB
Deuce BSB
Gladio SSB

help goons~

A team of ninjas eats golem for breakfast, but you need at least 2 decently honed copies of Raging Storm and a couple gusts. I run 2 ninjas, a healer, Alphinaud with BSB / Meltdown, and OK for buffing / protectga duty, though tbh he doesn't contribute that much since all the ninja magic caps without buffs anyway.

Shadow with BSB is a slam-dunk dive imo, him and Edge have incredibly good dives with lots of +ninja damage and ninja abilities are fuckin' absurd. His BSB by itself also throws out great damage because of the quickcast. Bringing Raging Storm and doublecasting for 40k per turn against Golem will make you a believer pretty quickly.

Also if it makes you feel better about diving him, Shadow is on 3 of my 4 sub-30 magicite teams. He's surprisingly versatile, especially since BSB mode gives some extra bite to the physical ninja skills.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 2, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I wish I had any ninja BSB. Tried every time and always come out with nil.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of which, does shadow's ultra show up again ever? i've been leveling him in the background since i picked up his burst not too long ago with the hope that if i'm really lucky i can turn him into a human blender

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dear friends,

Dramatis Personae:

Zidane USB/BSB2
Cloud BSB2
Paine BSB
Alphinaud USB/BSB
Vaan using USB > DnS

Buffers:
Ramza USB/SSB
OK BSB
Raines BSB
Monteblanc SSB
Deuce BSB
Gladio SSB

help goons~

Check out this thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7arkdr/golem_sub_30_no_osb_or_chain_version/
I based mine sub-30 off this, with tweaks because I haven't made a second Raging Storm (I just put Gust on OK) and am using Aphmau instead of Y'sh. Depending on how hone crazy you want to go, if you don't have Fujin's BSB you could easily bring any dived ninja for comparable if not superior results.
My own run isn't 100% reliable because Golem is a fucker who may choose to spam his AoE poo poo.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Shadow USB is gone forever outside of luckies unless something changes. If we get the Shadow (element) or Ninja pickup type banners they might be the best bet.

Edge is a pretty heavy lifter for me vs Golem. My initial sub30 before the ability update was by taking all my good wind mages like Fujin & Alph and throwing them in the trash can and use Edge and Terra instead. Mages are way more viable now though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Shoenin posted:

Dr Mog is a liar. There is no reason to not use magic.

My Vivi is damage capping his spells with two mag buffs (1 party, 1 personal) without enElement.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone with Snow CSB find ways to make him useful outside of his chain? It sucks they didn't even give him Celerity 5* to proc Fenrir's phys. blinks. I know they're bringing a monk ice attack in a few months, but that's down the line. Only other relic I have of his is his near-useless SSB, which hardly seems worth an entrust bot for.

1st world problems, but I really wish I had gotten Rinoa's CSB instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shoenin posted:

Not really. Like Attestant pointed out, almost literally everything has higher RES than DEF. That's because magic abilities have much higher multipliers than physical (Meltdown is 14.8 vs Omega Drive's 5.68) and MAG has a higher soft cap than ATK (1056 vs 805). If bosses had the lower RES, mages would completely dominate.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

iamsosmrt posted:

Anyone with Snow CSB find ways to make him useful outside of his chain? It sucks they didn't even give him Celerity 5* to proc Fenrir's phys. blinks. I know they're bringing a monk ice attack in a few months, but that's down the line. Only other relic I have of his is his near-useless SSB, which hardly seems worth an entrust bot for.

1st world problems, but I really wish I had gotten Rinoa's CSB instead.

I just slapped Meteor Crush + Omega Drive on him. It's not great damage still, but it's something at least. I have Dr. Mogs on him though, if you need to build gauge I'd switch out Meteor Crush for Lifesiphon.

Rinoa's CSB is absolutely better, probably even on a physical team, but Snow is workable. It definitely still cuts down my clear time.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Snow CSB will get help later when Icicle Rush comes out. It's still not a great skill but it is atleast a 4 hit skill that will add to and benefit from the chain.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'll have to play around with whatever works. Most likely just gonna slap Dr. Mogs on him and treat him like he doesn't exist. Why couldn't they have made him one of the 1000 other characters with shooter access?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I got fed up with MP randoms so I tried this solo, still took me like 20 tries and 5 different setups. Ended up going with RW Eiko USB on top of the USB she has natively just so I can survive. Also finally made Affliction Break. Really glad I pulled her USB during the lucky draw or else I’m not sure if I could’ve beat this.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 2, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Attestant posted:

Fun fact! Some veterans are forever stuck with 3 gems on their account. There was some fuckup with a 97 gem pull in the past, afaik.

Yeah, those 3 gems in my account will forever haunt me. I remember threads on Reddit of people saying they petitioned DENA to just remove the gems and getting rebuffed.

How often does the Wisdom Mote boss counter black magic with Death? Is it worth it to bring a fully tricked out Fujin?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
As a newbie do I pull on the bard banner today is that the right one?

Edit: what am I trying to pull for? I've got 75 mithril so I can Do a pull today and maybe another one tomorrow.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 2, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Washout posted:

No, it's not a good banner.

Either the lightning/ice banner or the holy/dark banner would be better. The first will be Festival of Wonder Stage 4; the second will replace it tonight as Stage 5.

I'm not at home so I can't easily check the contents and recommend one over the other for a newbie, but my gut thinks the holy/dark one better looks better. Maybe wait for a second opinion on that.

Edit: vvvvv that is also good for buffs

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Washout posted:

Edit: what am I trying to pull for? I've got 75 mithril so I can Do a pull today and maybe another one tomorrow.

Wait like a week or two more and put all of your mythril into the upcoming Onion knight banner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

If you have good offenses but need better buffs and support then it looks pretty good but banner 4 and 5 might be better. It all just depends on what you have and what you need to clear content.

But yeah probably just save mythril for onion banner.

• Locked thread