Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So i kited 15 orcs and 3 goblins into the black monolith turning the final battle into a clusterfuck. Problem is the orcs get shredded by the necrosavants once their wait and see period is over. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the orcs alive longer and consequently longer decoys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fife
Mar 18, 2007
coiled fife
Any suggestions for similar games? I'm 180 hours down and don't want to slog through the first 30 days again.

I feel like I might be being a bit too picky but nothing else seems to scratch the same itch that bb reaches. I'm a huge fan of the no/very low magic setting, particularly for your boys, and the lack of flashy enemy spells. Makes everything feel more grounded.

Also thank you wizardstyles and h alloy for your wonderful tips. Turned this brilliant game into one of my favourites in a long long time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fife posted:

Any suggestions for similar games? I'm 180 hours down and don't want to slog through the first 30 days again.

I feel like I might be being a bit too picky but nothing else seems to scratch the same itch that bb reaches. I'm a huge fan of the no/very low magic setting, particularly for your boys, and the lack of flashy enemy spells. Makes everything feel more grounded.

Also thank you wizardstyles and h alloy for your wonderful tips. Turned this brilliant game into one of my favourites in a long long time.

Mount and Blade Warband, full stop.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah Warband is basically the action game version of this.

Fife
Mar 18, 2007
coiled fife
Warband is a great suggestion. I played the poo poo out of it years ago but I might jump back in.

Is there anything more turn based strategy though?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you can stand a shift to modern 80s/90s action movie Jagged Alliance 2 is the other truly great Mercenary Game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Invisible inc.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just bought this game. Where did those five hours go?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Helical Nightmares posted:

Just bought this game. Where did those five hours go?

Oh, you sweet summer child. 905 hours and jumping in again now.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
gently caress ancient dead legionnaire pikemen so much. Talk about a back row made of pure unfiltered bullshit. Somehow shields cease to exist when those assholes get into rng range.

Some day I will not be bitter any more, but today is not that day. rip bros

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fewd posted:

gently caress ancient dead legionnaire pikemen so much. Talk about a back row made of pure unfiltered bullshit. Somehow shields cease to exist when those assholes get into rng range.

Some day I will not be bitter any more, but today is not that day. rip bros

Remember to wait until you're ready to take on legionnaire blocks. Ideally you'll want several of both twohander swordsmen and mace masters.

E: and keep some dudes back to flank their formation. They're slow and easy to kite into the centre of your line.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I had a totally awesome high ground ridge so thought I'd just slam head on with shieldwall + 2-tile hitters. Went all to poo poo as the pikemans care as much about high ground as they do about shields :toot:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm re-evaluating Steel Brow as a perk. There's just only so much you can do about things that aim for the head and headshots are so damaging.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tias posted:

Remember to wait until you're ready to take on legionnaire blocks. Ideally you'll want several of both twohander swordsmen and mace masters.

E: and keep some dudes back to flank their formation. They're slow and easy to kite into the centre of your line.

you can also just start the fight by withdrawing into two separate clumps, the dumb skeletons will break formation and not resume it even if you put your own shield line back together

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fewd posted:

Yeah, I had a totally awesome high ground ridge so thought I'd just slam head on with shieldwall + 2-tile hitters. Went all to poo poo as the pikemans care as much about high ground as they do about shields :toot:

Well, that's BB! /throws up hands. I have my best squad yet, where I can just leave my duellists or spear masters alone with a couple 1H legionnaries while I beeline for their heavy hitters. Same with orc young and warriors, really :getin:

E: frrrrrrrrrrrrrk Radulf the Butcher( face-clubber extraordinaire)just ate it in the war between the Folsach and Harkon houses :( That's what I get for bragging.

Alchenar posted:

I'm re-evaluating Steel Brow as a perk. There's just only so much you can do about things that aim for the head and headshots are so damaging.

I'm sorely tempted to try it, buuut I've already put so many resistance buffs on my shield line that adaptation seems like a better gamble.

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 2, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Steel Brow singlehandedly stops headshots from killing 99% of your dudes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you got Noble War you want Steel Brow on like, everyone because otherwise Crossbow Mastery Arbalest Headshots loving suck.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I take Steel Brow on pretty much everyone, it basically does away with one-hit deaths completely. You can do without one other perk somewhere else on each bro, but all those other perks do nothing when your level 14 bro suddenly gets sniped in the head and dies on turn 2.

It's also a godsend early in the game before you have good armour, because critical headshots no longer take out promising low-level bros every time you get in a fight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm also down-tiering Quick Hands - I only really ever use it to pull out daggers to rush the last guy with his armour intact, and I can take the ap cost of switching at that point anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I'm also down-tiering Quick Hands - I only really ever use it to pull out daggers to rush the last guy with his armour intact, and I can take the ap cost of switching at that point anyway.

It's really worthwhile on archers and on utility bags and belts macebros who can carry multiple shields in case one breaks, nets, polearms, throwing weapons, etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah on first examination Steel Brow doesn't seem that good because crits are 'only' 50% bonus damage to hp. But due to how heavy armour works, a crit can effectively take a hit from doing a "that tickled" amount of HP damage to "I am half dead".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real key to Steel Brow is to remember that stuff like Duelists and Crossbow Masters exist. 70% Armor Ignoring is usually damaging and painful and causes Injuries but doesn't necessarily kill you, but if it clips you in the face and rolls well it can one-shot a brother who didn't focus on HP much. Or put them in a place where the armor-ignoring portion of a hammer could easily finish them off.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Noted, I'll use it from here on I think.

I have a soft spot for giving all my archer guys quick hands and the warbrands I don't use for my 2Hs anymore. They all have 50+ melee skill and will often manage to righteously gently caress up most opponents who manage to close in spite of my rotation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically my strategy for all these sorts of games are there's always an option to get yourself out of a sticky situation if you think hard enough and are willing to spread some risk, but there's nothing anyone can do about SUDDENLY DEAD. Priority one is to avoid SUDDENLY DEAD.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Haha what the gently caress. I played 2 games on easy and died to a necromancer in a swamp (couldn't get to him on time and just got nailed). So I restarted and decided to see what 'veteran' was like, since you don't get good unless you play on higher difficulties. I think I'm gonna stick to easy: my first mission after getting revenge on the guy who kills your captain, was 'protect a town from something hunting villagers', a SINGLE skull mission. Skulls mean difficulty, right? Anyway it was 3 werewolves or dire wolves or something and I get absolutely railed. I didn't even kill one of them. GG, back to easy mode!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alchenar posted:

Basically my strategy for all these sorts of games are there's always an option to get yourself out of a sticky situation if you think hard enough and are willing to spread some risk, but there's nothing anyone can do about SUDDENLY DEAD. Priority one is to avoid SUDDENLY DEAD.

Basically this. I find that in games like this I can take deaths if I hosed up. I absolutely despise one shots from out of nowhere (read, turn 2) because it feels like i'm being cheated.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I feel like I'm also getting on this train, had a Fallen Hero,surrounded and netted, decapitate one of my best shield bros who was shield walling. Felt awful, that dagger party was about to start man.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't read every single page of this thread. I assume that everyone is playing on easy, or if not, running A LOT? I mean even on easy a single monster ate one of my guys and one-shot killed my large axe guy (level 1 and the best armor helmet I had, but yeah still!), and I managed to kill it and get my eaten guy back. But god drat.

Also noticing on easy that people get 'struck down' a lot instead of killed. That's nice!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I would suggest watching some people play on youtube or similar to get a better idea of if you are doing something totally nuts tactically. And maybe a little on how much you need to be paying attention to what they are wearing/holding.

But, lone ghouls are nearly always the final stage fatghouls and will casually backhand a lightly armoured guy to death. Usually they have to eat a bunch during the fight to reach that stage.

EDIT : And woodcutters axes are just kind of awful, in my experience.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't let any frontline bros use a two-handed weapon until they're wearing like 250 durability armour. Giving good bros poo poo weapons like the woodcutter's axe early in the game is a good way to get them murdered in one fight. For the first like 75 days basically all your front-liners should be carrying a good shield while you build up your stock of good armour, even the ones who you're giving skills and stat boosts with the goal of making them two-handers later on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

vyelkin posted:

Don't let any frontline bros use a two-handed weapon until they're wearing like 250 durability armour. Giving good bros poo poo weapons like the woodcutter's axe early in the game is a good way to get them murdered in one fight. For the first like 75 days basically all your front-liners should be carrying a good shield while you build up your stock of good armour, even the ones who you're giving skills and stat boosts with the goal of making them two-handers later on.

Thanks! and I always have like 6-7 people to start, one of which has a pitchfork, 3-4 have 1-handed weapon + shield (not buckler), 1 has the starting crossbow and if possible 1 has a bow. Does that sound decent? Is there a better pitchfork alternative? 1 hit per turn sort of bites.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

redreader posted:

Thanks! and I always have like 6-7 people to start, one of which has a pitchfork, 3-4 have 1-handed weapon + shield (not buckler), 1 has the starting crossbow and if possible 1 has a bow. Does that sound decent? Is there a better pitchfork alternative? 1 hit per turn sort of bites.

Polearms are great and the pitchfork is what you will have available at the start so go for it. You should be able to find or buy a pike fairly quickly if you're fighting a lot of bandits, and once you fulfill the ambition to get a battle standard you'll get a sweet one for free. Pikes are a big upgrade on pitchforks. Protip: bros with huge potential should be given good armour and a polearm and kept in the back row while they gain a few levels, early in the game anyone in the front is susceptible to either getting one-shotted or just getting stuck fighting too many enemies and taking a few unlucky hits that kill them, and you'll be much less angry if this happens to a lovely bro with no good skills than if it happens to your level 1 farmhand with three stars in melee attack, melee defence, and fatigue.

Also, for a group of 6 or 7, only 3 or 4 frontline bros is dangerous because a group of 6 or so enemies can easily flank you and start hitting your weaker backrow archers and polearm people, so while you're still learning the game you may want to lose the bow or crossbow and have an additional shield user instead so you can cover your flanks more easily.

One more tip for shield users, shieldwall is a bit of a trap. You think it makes your bros more survivable, but what it actually does is tire them out really quickly and make it so they can only take one attack per turn. In most circumstances, even early in the game, you'll be better off just taking the passive shield defence bonus and attacking twice, which will shorten the fight a lot and (in my experience) end up costing you fewer bros in the long run. Save shieldwall for when you're getting shot with nasty arrows or when you have a particular bro who's wounded or surrounded and you want them to just survive while other bros bail them out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've hit a wall. I've got a troupe of like 14 bros, fielding 12 and keeping 2 or so in reserve. A handful of guys at level 6 ish, some lower. Everyone is decked out in 110 armor and helmets, tier 2 or 3 weapons (flails, morningstars, arming swords, military picks, hunting bows), a couple named shields and weapons, a sergeant, and I've unlocked noble contracts.

I can't seem to advance. Everything I'm fighting now has worse armor than me or are orcs, and the pay I get off the best contracts I can find is enough to cover repairs, salary, and food on the way to the next town. I'm having trouble finding decent contracts, and sometimes have to hit 3 or 4 towns to find something that will even pay salary and food for one day as I search for more work.

It's like day 55 and I don't feel like I've made any progress since day 35. I have like 3k saved now, but that's likely to be gone to repairs and salary before I can get another job. Advice?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've hit a wall. I've got a troupe of like 14 bros, fielding 12 and keeping 2 or so in reserve. A handful of guys at level 6 ish, some lower. Everyone is decked out in 110 armor and helmets, tier 2 or 3 weapons (flails, morningstars, arming swords, military picks, hunting bows), a couple named shields and weapons, a sergeant, and I've unlocked noble contracts.

I can't seem to advance. Everything I'm fighting now has worse armor than me or are orcs, and the pay I get off the best contracts I can find is enough to cover repairs, salary, and food on the way to the next town. I'm having trouble finding decent contracts, and sometimes have to hit 3 or 4 towns to find something that will even pay salary and food for one day as I search for more work.

It's like day 55 and I don't feel like I've made any progress since day 35. I have like 3k saved now, but that's likely to be gone to repairs and salary before I can get another job. Advice?

Go wander into the wilderness and take down a few ruins, without a contract. If you get a couple easy ones you should be able to do it without too long in between to heal up and repair armour, especially if you have reserve bros and/or reserve suits of armour. Try and do this close to a big city so you get extra cash for the loot you retrieve.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Vyelkin's advice is good, but even better is do what he says while also working a trade route of some kind. That is, find a few villages selling salt, copper, gems, furs, etc. and continuously buy them and dump them on a large trading hub where you've got good noble house relations. It's among the fastest ways to build up cash, which you will need to do to upgrade armor at this point.

Also, after fighting orcs, repair up their non-club weapons before selling them for net cash gain. Most T2+ weapons are worth repairing before selling assuming you've got a decent supply of tools available from fight rewards or a high relation village.

Once you've got around 5-6k, you can start buying reinforced mail hauberks pretty regularly (210 armor -26 fatigue, should be 2500 or less with good relation) that will let you take on significantly more dangerous groups of enemies. You won't be getting better armor as drops outside of the occasional legendary drop unless you start going after mercs/noble house armies or unless you end up in the noble house war as your first crisis, and if you go into your crisis with 110 armor on your front line you'll be in big trouble.

If you haven't done it already, focus on getting the allied house ambition to get a free set of good armor/hat. It's the one that reads: "We shall earn the trust of a noble house and become their ally. Surely they will share the fruits of their well-stocked armories with good friends." Give it to a high melee def/off person and spec them for two handed sword or two handed hammer as well as reach advantage and battle forged. You can lean pretty hard on a bro who can reliably kill or dearmor multiple enemies every round after contact is made and is also really hard to hurt in melee combat.

After you've gotten the hang of making money by the thousands, you can save up a buffer for snagging legendaries or you can just move up to buying the 300+ armors/hats. Keep in mind there is an ambition associated with having heavy armor (3 body armors and hats each with 230+ durability) so if you can work that in smoothly, more power to you.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

redreader posted:

I haven't read every single page of this thread. I assume that everyone is playing on easy, or if not, running A LOT? I mean even on easy a single monster ate one of my guys and one-shot killed my large axe guy (level 1 and the best armor helmet I had, but yeah still!), and I managed to kill it and get my eaten guy back. But god drat.

Also noticing on easy that people get 'struck down' a lot instead of killed. That's nice!

Early on that will happen. Your starting armors are mostly like 30-50 health, and they're trash. Once you start getting basic mail, 110-115, on your front line deaths will go down. Once you get the skills that let you leave engagement without being attacked it's also easier to rotate damaged guys away and close your line. It's REAL easy to die in the early game with crappy armor, that's why you give everyone a round shield (they're cheap, easy to find) and a spear (spear wall will make bandits shield up and move in, saving you an attack, and non-bandits will throw themselves against it giving you free strikes).

While the game basically throws a "this guy uses a 2 hander" at you right away, swap him to a one hander early. his accuracy isn't good enough to have all his damage come on one roll, and his melee/ranged defense isn't good enough to not get hit, and his armor isn't good enough to keep him alive while eating blows. The exception for this is if you keep him behind your line and open a space so he can step in and get first swing, or step in and break a shield. And even then, you'd probably be better off with a hand axe (I find the hatchet and crappy flail to be almost unusably bad, luckily there's a better flail that's like tier 1.5).

Pick your weapons based on what you're fighting. Bandits you can use anything. Lots of undead = lots of cleavers, Beasts and Orcs should probably be met with spears, goblins you should just avoid unless you have dogs, good armor, and a poo poo ton of patience.

Daggers on the side, save the best armored bandit in a group and use the second dagger attack to deal all your damage through their armor, giving you a better chance of keeping it. You can do this on Hogger, btw, to get a 115 set of chain mail right off the bat. Put that on your big battle bro, especially if you want to use the 2 handed axe or plan on getting the warbrand early.

You can definitely keep brothers alive early, but it takes some work to learn the ropes of how to get enemies to target other people and how to get people out. Even then you will lose people without save scumming, especially against people with high damage weapons against weaker armor. Try to keep the ones with stars in good categories or really useful traits alive, and use the rest to soak up attacks.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

TheAnomaly posted:

Even then you will lose people without save scumming
This is the most important thing to understand. BB is the most OG XCOM game since OG XCOM when it comes to disposable dudes you kinda actually care about a lot, so keep that in mind when it comes to both tactics and strategy.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Had a reverse 360 degree inverted clusterfuck yesterday. Nobles war is currently ongoing and I noticed that couple separate dozen man enemy stacks were chasing after a single dozen man stack of the house I had chosen to help. I of course went after them and a fight ensues.

My first thought was, why are the house soldiers moaning at me? Whatever, maybe it's their thing, they're moaning soldiers. The map itself was extremely hilly and in the middle there was a main hill where the house troops were trashing each other. To the south was another hill where I lined my shield dudes on the ridge and happily plonked arrows into the house troop stacks from safety. I wish these soldiers didn't moan at me though, just take a hit, shut up and die? When the house troops were both half dead and rest spraying blood all over, I noticed what, exactly, was moaning. Apparently the fight happened on top of an undead castle and now there's a whole crapload on weenergangers on the hill and on top of it, a necromancer raising the dead house soldiers. So yeah. I decide this would probably be the time to charge in and fight an uphill battle through the house soldiers and a crapload on undead to claim my rightful position as king of the middle hill that's now also the coolest hill. Luckily I plonked my first arrow into the necromancers head so it went a little more smoothly, but in the end I lose no one and sat pretty as emperor of the corpse mountain. Me and that one arbalest dude from friendhouse who survived, that guy was pretty okay too.

That fight also included the most anti-:xcom: moment I will ever see. The enemy house had a sergeant whom I was focus firing down. However he managed to jump out of range just before my fourth archer got his turn. He's literally the shittiest archer I've ever had with no useful traits and very average skill, and he's now out of arrows. I grab another quiver and see the sergeant is one hex away from the quick shot range. Ah well, gently caress it. Now, in front of the sergeant on the outer rim of this worthless thumblefuck of an archer is standing a footsoldier with a shield, who is also the only target in his range. So whatever, I'm doing a throwaway shot at him and moving on. Not only does this inbred farmhands arrow miss the soldier he's aiming, it flies out of his shooting range, pulls a JFK magic bullet out of its rear end and brains the sergeant, dropping him flat on his face :haw:

I'm afraid I cashed in all my luck chips with the shot, I'm never having luck in BB again

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Choosing War as first end game crisis is also probably the best beginner protip one can have. Surrounding knights and what have you other rich snobs for a merry daggerfucking is the single easiest way to deck out your front liners with awesome gear. My war isn't all that far yet, and I've gotten three 320 plate armors and couple 300+ hats. Easiest was a simple 8 dude enemy mercenary crew led by a hedge knight, getting a high end armor set can't get any more effortless than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Define progress. If you mean getting heavier armor, you can get these as drops from Brigand Leaders or Hedge Knights (ie Nasal Helm with Mail, Full Helm, Reinforced Mail Hauberk, Coat of Scales, etc). Use Puncture (dagger) and or Lash (flail) to reduce armor damage and have a better chance of getting it to drop after the battle. Fallen Heroes and Ancient Honor Guards can drop heavier armor as well, but these pieces are not really ideal from a fatigue standpoint. Mercenaries can drop some nice loot as well but unless you're doing the ambition to defeat them or are already in a Noble War crisis, it may not be worth angering the faction or settlement they're affiliated to.

The faster and more reliable way (but certainly not cheap) is of course to buy armor in settlements with an Armorer. You can reduce the prices a bit by having good relations with said settlement. Well Supplied (from escorting caravans) and High Spirits (from reclaiming artifact) settlement statuses both reduce prices as well.

On getting more gold, as mentioned by Aparmenideanmonad, it's good to repair items before selling, so long as the cost of tools doesn't exceed the increase in price of the repaired item. The worth/durability ratio of an item indicates whether it is profitable to repair (the higher, the more worth repairing). Assuming you're buying tools at roughly 200G (smaller settlements usually offer cheaper prices) and selling items at about 20% of their worth (at Allied (100) City Halls (you can get higher prices with Ambushed Trade Routes, but can be difficult to maintain)), you shouldn't repair anything at or below 3.33 (worth/durability). Generally speaking, all weapons (tier 2 and above) are worth repairing. Repairing armor for reselling on the other hand isn't as profitable, but you can still make slight profits repairing Worn Mail and Nasal Helm with Rusty Mail or anything better than these.

On contracts, I try not to be too picky about taking them, after all some pay is better than none. That being said, caravan and transport cargo contracts can sometimes offer really meagre pay, and a 3-star contract to clear goblins can sometimes be more pain than gain, so it also depends on your setup and what mobs it is suited to tackle.
Contract payout is influenced by Renown. You can increase it faster by completing Ambitions (100 Renown each).

Some Steam threads on the economics: Making Gold, Gold Management

It's also good to look at what constitutes most of your overhead costs. If it's tools, perhaps check if combat could be optimized. Taking less damage = less tools needed and it does add up. If it's daily wages, perhaps the party has too many premium backgrounds too early.

All that being said, IMHO it's quite tenable to do most battles in 'raider' gear (Worn Mail + Nasal Helm are pretty fatigue efficient and have decent durability) and at day 55, I really wouldn't say that's behind the curve in any way. It's certainly safer to have heavy armor and better gear, but good defense, offense, perks and sound tactics all help as well. I suppose you could have made a few more levels on men by day 55 (and more stats/perks makes battles easier), but that's pretty subjective. Of course if you're facing enemy parties with many ranged units, without sufficient armor, it may be more prudent to avoid or to engage at night.