Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Might it be available under a different name? It's so much better than all the toxic poo poo people use to strip domestic paint, it'd be weird if no one in the US were making it.

I did a brief search with no luck. Purple Power works well enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Any advice on stripping resin? I recently stripped my BFG fleet which is mostly metal but a couple of light cruisers are FW resin. I'm real leary at trying to strip them since there are no replacements.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished my malanthrope tonight.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Any recommendations for UK/EU suppliers of 40k suitable plastic movement trays? I'm thinking of getting some for shoving Plaguebearers and Poxwalkers around.

I just use my old WHFB trays that have some Flex steel stuck to it. All my guys have magnetic base bottoms for storage so they stick right to it. I get my stuff from Litko in the US and they probably do shipping to the UK? I know England has a ton of companies who do MDF movement trays at least.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Deified Data posted:

Finished my malanthrope tonight.

That is a nice tentacle monster

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Any recommendations for UK/EU suppliers of 40k suitable plastic movement trays? I'm thinking of getting some for shoving Plaguebearers and Poxwalkers around.

eBay link is ghastly but:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&sid=doodletechltd&isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_mwBanner=1

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have advice for cheap transport options? I'm thinking of trying to get some cheap foam and cut my own holes in it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

Trying to learn positioning, especially on deployment, is messing me up. I rolled a six with a +1 to go first today, my friend stole the initiative, and blew away 1/3rd of my points before I even got to do anything. A whole unit of Genestealers, a Tyrannofex with Rupture Cannon, and a unit of Hive Guard all gone, with my Biovores engaged and unable to shoot. Are there any good YouTube videos on dealing with that stuff?

What the hell was he running to blow away all of that and manage a t1 charge on an artillery unit?

Hive Guard never have any reason to be within LoS, so their main weakness will be deep striking units. Plan for where an opponent can drop within LoS and either block it off, or set a trap.
For Biovores, again ensure they are properly screened from early charges. Cheap gaunts or rippers in good positions will help, and again they don't need LoS.
Genestealers can be held in reserve to avoid getting them blown away early on and used for a free counter-charge. The trick is to put the infestation nodes right next to your own units so they can't get easily removed by deep striking units.
Tfexes are tricky to position as ideally you don't want to move them, but you can mitigate damage with Venomthropes/Malanthropes and the right hive fleet traits.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

What the hell was he running to blow away all of that and manage a t1 charge on an artillery unit?

Hive Guard never have any reason to be within LoS, so their main weakness will be deep striking units. Plan for where an opponent can drop within LoS and either block it off, or set a trap.
For Biovores, again ensure they are properly screened from early charges. Cheap gaunts or rippers in good positions will help, and again they don't need LoS.
Genestealers can be held in reserve to avoid getting them blown away early on and used for a free counter-charge. The trick is to put the infestation nodes right next to your own units so they can't get easily removed by deep striking units.
Tfexes are tricky to position as ideally you don't want to move them, but you can mitigate damage with Venomthropes/Malanthropes and the right hive fleet traits.

Magnus the Red moved, used a psychic power to move again, and then charged my Hive Guard who were hiding out of LoS behind a wall. Khorne Berserkers deep striked behind my Genestealers and wiped them out. Obliterators with a +1 to hit power blew away my Tyrannofex.

I forgot about infestation nodes. Can they block deep-striking units? By that I mean do they have to come in 9" away from an infestation node? I did use a unit of Rippers to block him from deep-striking behind my Hive Guard, but it didn't matter because Magnus flies and moves so quickly.

It was really Magnus that was the problem. It was hard to keep up with his d6/2d6 Smite and ability to one-shot even my Hive Tyrant or Trygon in a single combat. If I went first I might've been able to kill or seriously hurt him. My shooty units were all in a Kronos detachment and I could've used Single-Minded Annihilation. Khorne Berserkers wrecking my Genestealers was just bad positioning by myself.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm currently working on a renegade (read: looted) knight to go alongside my heretic orkstartes, and I'm about at the stage where I need to choose which weapons to build (assuming I don't magnetize it or something). What is the gooncensus on a good weapon selection?

I'm not necessarily after the 'best' build, but I'd prefer not to commit to a useless option.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the chainsword (to make it dead choppy), gatling gun (more dakka) and one of the rocket pods (probably the anti tank one as there aren't a lot of flyers amongst the local players).

Any thoughts?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

Magnus the Red moved, used a psychic power to move again, and then charged my Hive Guard who were hiding out of LoS behind a wall. Khorne Berserkers deep striked behind my Genestealers and wiped them out. Obliterators with a +1 to hit power blew away my Tyrannofex.

I forgot about infestation nodes. Can they block deep-striking units? By that I mean do they have to come in 9" away from an infestation node? I did use a unit of Rippers to block him from deep-striking behind my Hive Guard, but it didn't matter because Magnus flies and moves so quickly.

It was really Magnus that was the problem. It was hard to keep up with his d6/2d6 Smite and ability to one-shot even my Hive Tyrant or Trygon in a single combat. If I went first I might've been able to kill or seriously hurt him. My shooty units were all in a Kronos detachment and I could've used Single-Minded Annihilation. Khorne Berserkers wrecking my Genestealers was just bad positioning by myself.

For infestation nodes, it's the other way around. They're most vulnerable to deep-striking units as you have to remove them as soon as something comes within 9", but by placing them under friendly units they are protected from that. Without deep-striking units, nodes are only vulnerable to very fast units like Flyers or warptime. So long as you don't lose all four, you can virtually guarantee 'stealer counter-charges in your own deployment zone, which is a fantastic response to Berserkers.

Since you're using Kronos, did you try the Deepest Shadow strat on Magnus? Between that, SitW & DtW it could help curtail some of his bullshit. Bonus style points if you have a Kronos warlord with Soul Hunger, or a Balethorn Cannon to stop him using his invuln save (and therefore the re-roll).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm currently working on a renegade (read: looted) knight to go alongside my heretic orkstartes, and I'm about at the stage where I need to choose which weapons to build (assuming I don't magnetize it or something). What is the gooncensus on a good weapon selection?

I'm not necessarily after the 'best' build, but I'd prefer not to commit to a useless option.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the chainsword (to make it dead choppy), gatling gun (more dakka) and one of the rocket pods (probably the anti tank one as there aren't a lot of flyers amongst the local players).

Any thoughts?

Crusaders are best since the stompy feet are the best melee weapon anyway. I like gatling/melta, but the rf battle cannon gives you a better effective range.

You can easily magnetise the rocket pod and auotcannon to give yourself a choice of 2. For the pod, the ironstorm is basically worthless so take the stormspear.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Also please model the rocket pod with GI Joe missiles glued to one of the old tank trap obstacles.

Like a katyusha but orky.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BJPaskoff posted:

How did he deepstrike Khorne Berserkers?

In general, make sure you have enough angled LoS-blocking stuff so that Turn 1 shooting isn't a gallery. Some area cover is always important too.

Warptime Magnus is definitely a beast, don't know what to suggest there as I have not fielded or faced him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

How did he deepstrike Khorne Berserkers?

In general, make sure you have enough angled LoS-blocking stuff so that Turn 1 shooting isn't a gallery. Some area cover is always important too.

Warptime Magnus is definitely a beast, don't know what to suggest there as I have not fielded or faced him.

Some stratagem let him deep-strike them.

LoS-blocking terrain is a problem in my LGS. There's a lot of hills that aren't tall enough to hide even a Genestealer model from LoS, Gothic-looking terrain with tons of open windows/doors/large cracks to give a clear view from almost any angle, some rock pillars that might give a Carnifex half cover, and maybe one wall. I think the lack of LoS-blocking terrain at my LGS has warped the meta a little bit, but I can't be certain.

Not everyone's going to be bringing $110 Lords of War to the table, so getting crushed by Magnus isn't a huge setback to me enjoying the game.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

BJPaskoff posted:

LoS-blocking terrain is a problem in my LGS. There's a lot of hills that aren't tall enough to hide even a Genestealer model from LoS, Gothic-looking terrain with tons of open windows/doors/large cracks to give a clear view from almost any angle, some rock pillars that might give a Carnifex half cover, and maybe one wall. I think the lack of LoS-blocking terrain at my LGS has warped the meta a little bit, but I can't be certain.

Not everyone's going to be bringing $110 Lords of War to the table, so getting crushed by Magnus isn't a huge setback to me enjoying the game.

Suggest that the ground floor of any buildings are to be treated as LoS blocking. This houserule has been used many places with great success.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Looks like you can run Berserkers as ALPHA LEGION, who have a deep strike infantry stratagem. Not sure why he committed to the 9" hail mary charge though, as I haven't found anything that would allow a buff on that. Disclaimer: not a CSM player. edit: icon of wrath does that

xtothez fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 2, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

As far as I can tell from my encounter with it its mostly down to infantry screening minimising how much damage he can do in that first turn, since if he only manages to kill a 150pt unit and then you kill him with the entirety of your army which is now in range then you massively trade up, though 32"+2d6" with fly is somewhat awkward to screen against in deployment its certainly easier as an army with infantry cheaper than 18ppm.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Are any of you familiar with the construction on this old Ork boy? He's supposed to be carrying that weapon, but I can't even figure out which side is up:

http://imgur.com/YqXgOKx

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ChineseConnection posted:

Are any of you familiar with the construction on this old Ork boy? He's supposed to be carrying that weapon, but I can't even figure out which side is up:

http://imgur.com/YqXgOKx

Most heavy weapons from that era were modeled over the shoulder held by one arm. The indented part will be where the shoulder goes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Artum posted:

As far as I can tell from my encounter with it its mostly down to infantry screening minimising how much damage he can do in that first turn, since if he only manages to kill a 150pt unit and then you kill him with the entirety of your army which is now in range then you massively trade up, though 32"+2d6" with fly is somewhat awkward to screen against in deployment its certainly easier as an army with infantry cheaper than 18ppm.

This is the reason why Termagants are my go-to for just about every Troop choice. At 4pts per model you can not blink when they die in droves and they're fantastic for spacing out and screening for 1st/2nd-turn assaults. They're surprisingly dangerous for their cost too, S4 shooting and assaults can kill a good number of targets and tie up unsuspecting units to deny shooting while other units close in. It's an absolute nightmare to paint 30-60 of them, but once you're done you're set for life.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Looks like you can run Berserkers as ALPHA LEGION, who have a deep strike infantry stratagem. Not sure why he committed to the 9" hail mary charge though, as I haven't found anything that would allow a buff on that. Disclaimer: not a CSM player. edit: icon of wrath does that

They don't DS, they set up before the battle round. So if you're the CSM player and you have turn 1 you just walk them forwards for a 3" charge.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have advice for cheap transport options? I'm thinking of trying to get some cheap foam and cut my own holes in it.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00194AVJ6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2FQ5GG01HBOZ1&psc=1

I cut and hot-glued the foam sheets onto the sides amd bottom of the pick and pluck from foam factory . I only glued the bottoms along the edges, then after making the holes I glued it down fully. You might could make the holes before any glueing. I bought the 30"x 30" from the following page amd got 4 trays per sheet for my feldherr bag.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BJPaskoff posted:

Trying to learn positioning, especially on deployment, is messing me up. I rolled a six with a +1 to go first today, my friend stole the initiative, and blew away 1/3rd of my points before I even got to do anything. A whole unit of Genestealers, a Tyrannofex with Rupture Cannon, and a unit of Hive Guard all gone, with my Biovores engaged and unable to shoot. Are there any good YouTube videos on dealing with that stuff?

IN later posts it looked like you played against a pretty typical alpha legion list so I won't have much more to say other than setup (and army build) around the idea of being forced to go second. That means screens, filling your backfield, and keeping strong elements off the table so they can't get shot to pieces if you go second.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, i figured it was the Alpha Legion infiltrate. It's gamey as gently caress to run Magnus with Alpha Legion berserkers, that makes zero sense from a fluff perspective.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the suggestions for movement trays.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

As a way to secure the playtime, I brought the daughter along who helped roll dice and cheer when my stuff died (:mad:). I played a solid Death Guard list and a cookie-cutter AdMech with Cawl, who I had managed not to battle up until this point. Managed to table them both and come in first. AdMech are strangely not as scary as I remember from 7th.

I've found the only way I can really win with my AdMech is by completely ignoring the objective and trying to just blow my opponent off the table.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Re: pinning feet to base. Started doing this after NOVA. Not sure if it’s any preferred method, however it’s worked for me.

1. I temporarily glue my dudes to a base. In this case however I had done a more permanent one so I needed to clean off the base of the feet. After that, I use the tip of an old #11 blade to ‘center punch’ a central location to drill.

2. Drill hole. This depends on the thickness of your pinning wire. Also I have this positioned to show me drilling. Don’t hold your mans this way when drilling, please.

3. Superglued the wire into the hole, allow to dry properly. Afterward you need to trim the wire to a level where the base can set flush. The thickness of the base with a little texture paint is about 1/8” (to the first tick mark in the pic) so it it right about there and you are good. If you must, go slightly shorter to account for some tables having glued-in texture.

4. Once your base is done, test-pose your model on the base and push it a bit to mark the place to drill the hole. Make the hole, and super glue on the bottom where it pokes through. Allow to dry.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Why not just glue the model to the base, then drill a hole up through the base/foot and insert the pin?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Why not just glue the model to the base, then drill a hole up through the base/foot and insert the pin?

Because you’ll need to guess where it is. This removes the chance of something going wrong. Also, sometimes you might not know where the best spot is for the duder will be until after the texture paint is done.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I do the same thing. I don't trim until after painting and use the long wire to stick the mini into a cork and hold it that way for painting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I have never found it necessary to glue infantry-sized plastic models to their bases, but drat, those are some very sharp looking White Scars. Well done on the white.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've found the only way I can really win with my AdMech is by completely ignoring the objective and trying to just blow my opponent off the table.

:same:

I haven't been taking skitarii much because of that. Which sucks because the skitarii minis are why I got into the army.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Pretty excited with 2017, despite a few issues it has been pretty sweat, especially for my hobby. New house has meant new game room, and I've been working with my in-laws to fix up the basement for the past week. Additionally, my wife commissioned her father to build me a band new gaming table, and the thing is a beast.

Hopefully within the next week I'll be able to show you guys pictures of the newly organized gaming space, table with FATMAT/terrain, and a good group shot of all the models I've painted this year.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

:same:

I haven't been taking skitarii much because of that. Which sucks because the skitarii minis are why I got into the army.

Same here. I really think GW hosed it with the AdMech codex by not including a Master of Skitarii as an HQ choice, and bolstering the Skitarii option.

I've been wondering if the real way to run AdMech is to run them like Guard. Just take a ton of infantry and a few other units. (The answer is no).

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 2, 2018

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Last night a couple friends and I got together to play some 5-600 point games and I decided to try my pure Primaris force out with BA tactics because I've heard they are kind of in the best place to use them currently. After the first game, the guy whose house we were at asked if I was planning on using the custom chapter I am doing as BA successors, and when I said yeah seems pretty likely for now at least, went and pulled out an old metal Astorath he had and gave it to me. I've never gotten into their lore so I didn't know anything about him, but I tossed him in the list and did 800 points vs his Death Guard in which he and a 5 man squad of Reivers tore through a terminator squad before he flew 18" across the table to subsequently tear through a 7 man Plague Marine squad and seize the objective for the win.

My question for more experienced BA players is that now that I kind of want to build around him, how big of a Death Company can you get away with, and what kind of loadout do you usually use? I kind of want to take a max 15 man squad, leave 10 or so with pistols and chainswords, give the other 5 some combination of power weapons, thunder hammers, and infernus pistols for cracking hard targets, and fling them, Astorath, and a Sanguinary Priest around the battlefield as fast as I can while a couple assorted dreads provide support. Is this a terrible idea before I start picking up models, or is it at least workable?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Same here. I really think GW hosed it with the AdMech codex by not including a Master of Skitarii as an HQ choice, and bolstering the Skitarii option.

I've been wondering if the real way to run AdMech is to run them like Guard. Just take a ton of infantry and a few other units. (The answer is no).

I'm honestly a little bummed because unlike a lot of the other armies no amount of tinkering with point costs is going to paper over the huge holes the army has.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm honestly a little bummed because unlike a lot of the other armies no amount of tinkering with point costs is going to paper over the huge holes the army has.

This makes me sad. Maybe I'll collect something else. Necron fluff is much cooler these days and I've always always liked the look of Nids

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

gender illusionist posted:

This makes me sad. Maybe I'll collect something else. Necron fluff is much cooler these days and I've always always liked the look of Nids

Necrons are in a surprisingly good place with their Index. If you like robots, that’s probably the more competitive place right now.

I can testify that Nids are in fantastic shape for the first time in close to twenty years and are hella fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

FromTheShire posted:

Last night a couple friends and I got together to play some 5-600 point games and I decided to try my pure Primaris force out with BA tactics because I've heard they are kind of in the best place to use them currently. After the first game, the guy whose house we were at asked if I was planning on using the custom chapter I am doing as BA successors, and when I said yeah seems pretty likely for now at least, went and pulled out an old metal Astorath he had and gave it to me. I've never gotten into their lore so I didn't know anything about him, but I tossed him in the list and did 800 points vs his Death Guard in which he and a 5 man squad of Reivers tore through a terminator squad before he flew 18" across the table to subsequently tear through a 7 man Plague Marine squad and seize the objective for the win.

My question for more experienced BA players is that now that I kind of want to build around him, how big of a Death Company can you get away with, and what kind of loadout do you usually use? I kind of want to take a max 15 man squad, leave 10 or so with pistols and chainswords, give the other 5 some combination of power weapons, thunder hammers, and infernus pistols for cracking hard targets, and fling them, Astorath, and a Sanguinary Priest around the battlefield as fast as I can while a couple assorted dreads provide support. Is this a terrible idea before I start picking up models, or is it at least workable?

Death Company are good and you can use them really aggressively now that they have multiple delivery systems. Like most nasty combat units, you need to be mindful of having enough meat in the list that they don't get isolated because they're still T4 3+ save dudes (with a 6+ or potentially 5+ FNP admittedly) who die pretty easily if they get hit back.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Yeah even with the points changes from Chapter Approved you don't really get much more in the list, and there's really obvious gaps that make them not very workable for playing to the mission. They're great at pubstomping because you can shoot poo poo lists off the table pretty easily, but I think competitively they'll struggle against a smart player. I'm enjoying painting mine and the models are great, but they probably won't see a tournament table except perhaps small detachments of robots/Dunecrawlers to go with a more competitive primary.