Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a few people in the steam thread who are unreasonably angry about the existence of crates, and refuse to grasp just how piss easy they are to obtain without ever opening your wallet.

Sure, its tacky they're part of the experience altogether, but they are a total non-issue. Jimmy's Hot Take lacks any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a few people in the steam thread who are unreasonably angry about the existence of crates, and refuse to grasp just how piss easy they are to obtain without ever opening your wallet.

Sure, its tacky they're part of the experience altogether, but they are a total non-issue. Jimmy's Hot Take lacks any context.

Sadly, some of the same people that rant to me about 'supporting the evil predatory lootbox idea' by buying this game will never hear how much it doesn't matter at all to this.

Sure, vote with your wallet and all, but it kind of saddens me that they'll deny themselves a legit good game over this. But I'm just part of the cycle maaaan. Just don't know how much the maaaan has me, I guess.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it is an emblematic thing. It might well be in a good game but the whole idea of it is based on an exploitative practice that encourages people to go deeper into debt in order to get things they don't need.

Also my little brother bought the game and so I played it at home for a bit over Christmas and it's just kind of... it felt way more disjointed and rubbish in terms of fighting style when compared to SoM. The first one had a very definite "flow" to how it all fit together, and I enjoyed it a whole bunch because of that, but in this case? It just felt a lot harder to pull off things. Maybe I just don't enjoy some of the stylistic choices as well and that is leading in to it.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
not buying the ostensible GOTY to own the libs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

I think it is an emblematic thing. It might well be in a good game but the whole idea of it is based on an exploitative practice that encourages people to go deeper into debt in order to get things they don't need.

The only thing you need to go "deeper into debt" for are the themed crates though. All other boxes cost 1500 in game currency, and this is a game where you're routinely over 100k of the stuff.

Sure, dislike the practise itself, but the implementation is being presented as both mandatory and predatory which is pretty dumb imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Having 100%ed the game on Nemesis I can say with confidence that the biggest lootbox related problem in SoW is that you get too many of them for free and also the Mirian balance is all out of whack so by the end I had close to 100000 Mirian and nothing to spend it on other than lootboxes that I didn't want.

Also Jim Sterling is a loving hack.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Jim Sterling is a loving hack.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress Jim Sterling tbh

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, I used lootboxes a fair bit. The Mirian kind, that is, for the times when I wanted Blood for the Blood Gods and was willing to just throw endless captains into the Fight Pits and see what happened. gently caress finding them in the wild, their life expectancy is gonna be measured in seconds anyway. Out of one box, into another!

Even then it's impossible to ever even come close to running out.... and once the Shadow Wars start, you're drowning in powerful potential recruits that come right to your doorstep anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I understand that loot crates are a hot topic of hatred right now but I think this game got a raw deal just on the very idea of them. Jim Sterling put this in his top ten shittiest games of 2017 and blamed it entirely on the crates. I've played almost 100 hours now mostly just loving around with the Nemesis system and have yet to open more than three crates and have never hired one of the crate orcs.

You don't need them, you find plenty of interesting captains in the wild constantly. Nemesis in this game feels light years beyond the first. But OMG CRATES gently caress THIS GAME FOREVER 3/10 on METACRITIC is really stupid.

Yeah, I agree. I've purchased no crates except some with in-game money earned from dailies, and the only orcs from those crates I've deployed were legendaries I wanted to murder for their loot, so into the fight pits they went. One managed to get a 17-win streak, so, win-win!

Acting like the game expected, demanded, or would be improved by real-money purchasing of crates is pretty disingenuous.

In other news, I've discovered that its often a lot better to not take the "dominate" orcs with draining upgrade, especially once you unlock raise dead: Once they get up from the drain, they'll be guaranteed to flee, so you can brutalize them (which has iframes galore) for tons of might. If you put a green gem on your dagger, you'll get fully healed doing this too. Upshot is that you get full health, elfshot, and almost enough might for a special move from a single ground-drain, which is a lot more useful than an orc grunt ally. If you want those, you've got raise dead. Even if you don't want those, its still more useful imo, especially in later stages of the game where you already always have allies around.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

In other news, I've discovered that its often a lot better to not take the "dominate" orcs with draining upgrade, especially once you unlock raise dead: Once they get up from the drain, they'll be guaranteed to flee, so you can brutalize them (which has iframes galore) for tons of might. If you put a green gem on your dagger, you'll get fully healed doing this too. Upshot is that you get full health, elfshot, and almost enough might for a special move from a single ground-drain, which is a lot more useful than an orc grunt ally. If you want those, you've got raise dead. Even if you don't want those, its still more useful imo, especially in later stages of the game where you already always have allies around.

That's exactly why I think that Ground Drain is the most OP skill in the game.
If you have a Bright Lord Dagger equipped (with any other Bright Lord piece) you can do the following combo:
Perfect Parry (to get a knockdown) - Ground Drain (to apply Fear, Heal fully and gain some Wrath) - Freeze Vault (to activate Bright Lord Dagger on the next move) - Brutalize

At level 60 with correct skill upgrades equipped this will relatively safety convert one enemy grunt into 1 Might bar and 50% of a Wrath bar.

I'm sure you can imagine how retarded good it is when you can get 2 Might bars and a full Wrath bar (as a reminder, using Wrath abilities fills your Might) from killing two grunts, without ANY resource requirement other than having two enemy grunts nearby.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

If you have a Bright Lord Dagger equipped (with any other Bright Lord piece) you can do the following combo:
Perfect Parry (to get a knockdown) - Ground Drain (to apply Fear, Heal fully and gain some Wrath) - Freeze Vault (to activate Bright Lord Dagger on the next move) - Brutalize

At level 60 with correct skill upgrades equipped this will relatively safety convert one enemy grunt into 1 Might bar and 50% of a Wrath bar.

I'm sure you can imagine how retarded good it is when you can get 2 Might bars and a full Wrath bar (as a reminder, using Wrath abilities fills your Might) from killing two grunts, without ANY resource requirement other than having two enemy grunts nearby.
Well, I know what I'm trying next. I haven't really used Wrath abilities in a long time since it seems to fade on fast travel/load/something so I never really used them. Definitely worth trying at least! And while its minor, I still think the only weapon its worth slotting a green gem into is the dagger: health regen is percentage based and daggers are either instant-kills on grunts or not really a huge, regular source of damage on captains, so extra damage doesn't help much there but it does mean that you get a full heal every time you use a dagger attack from the health-drain alone. I think I'd rather use red gems for the bow and sword just to help get through high-level captains' massive hp bars faster. That at least frees you to gain some elfshot every time you drain instead of using the full-heal ability, since I burn through elfshot fairly quickly with Shadow Mounts and caragors since I hate those fuckers.

Any other ridiculous endgame set-ups? I'm enjoying a blast with 4 Warmonger and 2 Machine for near-constant fire explosions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

poptart_fairy posted:

The only thing you need to go "deeper into debt" for are the themed crates though. All other boxes cost 1500 in game currency, and this is a game where you're routinely over 100k of the stuff.

Sure, dislike the practise itself, but the implementation is being presented as both mandatory and predatory which is pretty dumb imo.

Yes, and yet these things aren't for people like you or I who aren't going to blow the bank on poo poo like this. It is instead designed to get even more money out of people who are prone to gambling problems. Which is why it is so, to coin a phrase, "problematic".

I am fine with DLC if it is essentially mini-expansion packs, but it seems a bit rich for companies that are already swimming in money to demand more from people, doing a bit of "voting with my wallet" because it seems like a sensible idea to not get the game that seems to not fit me.

That and, as mentioned, combat flow felt sort of worse to me than SoM.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, and yet these things aren't for people like you or I who aren't going to blow the bank on poo poo like this. It is instead designed to get even more money out of people who are prone to gambling problems. Which is why it is so, to coin a phrase, "problematic".

I am fine with DLC if it is essentially mini-expansion packs, but it seems a bit rich for companies that are already swimming in money to demand more from people, doing a bit of "voting with my wallet" because it seems like a sensible idea to not get the game that seems to not fit me.

That and, as mentioned, combat flow felt sort of worse to me than SoM.

There's one real reason that gambling addicts aren't going to have real issues with lootboxes with this game. Lack of incentive.

What's that supposed to mean? Well, in other games with lootboxes, there's something tangible to obtain. Something you're not getting normally. In real life, that's money. (Spend a little money for a chance to get a lot of money!) Something that has many, many uses. In Overwatch, this is cosmetic stuff. People like to personalize, but they know better than to disrupt game balance. Still, you're gaining something you don't get otherwise except from boxes. In battlefront 2 (ugh) the incentive is loadouts. Actual game content locked away into it. Scummy as all hell, yes, but that's the 'incentive'.

Shadow of War... doesn't really have that. You can get captains!... which aren't really any better than what you're already getting. You get gear! Which rapidly ends up obsolete in a few levels as you go through the game. It doesn't make the game go by faster, (despite what morons on the internet cry) and it doesn't actually make it any easier. There's no real tangible benefit to the boxes. You might say 'oh that makes it worse' but no, actually, it's the opposite. Without a real incentive it doesn't have the draw that gambling usually preys upon.

For what it's worth, no it shouldn't be in the game at all. Go give warner brothers a kick in the nuts for demanding it. Don't lay the blame at Monolith's feet though, who made very sure that the draw for lootboxes was effectively neutered.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That last paragraph sums up my own opinion perfectly.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I like to combine this with a longbow of horrors(for applying fear in clusterfucks) and a dagger that deals extra damage to targets affected by something, like poison.

frighten a grunt, stealth attack him, then chain to a captain. With a lvl 65 dagger you can get 200% extra stealth damage to targets affected by <x> and +30% extra stealth damage. I've yet to see a poisoned captain survive this. I've gotten gold in max rank online forts when I had only 20 seconds to beat the Overlord, with 10 seconds to spare. It's quite absurd.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I met a cool historian Orc and Shamed him so I could recruit him later and accidentally destroyed his retentive memory, so he died tearfully trying to remember the names of historical figures who'd suffered defeats like his.

I felt like poo poo afterwards!

Also I've fought one particular Orc like 4 times so far and it's really pissing me off that the game's not making him my Nemesis because he's a perfect fit for the role.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

let me pay $10to design my own Custom Orc, then i will go into debt, i promise

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I haven't run into a single orc with iron will in like a week, this is great. Some of them should have it I guess, sure, but it felt like every single captain was indomitable without at least one shaming before. I suspect I changed the difficulty while orc hunting under the influence of drugs or alcohol but I'm not going to look.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
So I'm lvl 40 and at the bright lord mission, I assume that triggers the endgame. I've heard lots of things - ie, don't play the endgame it's annoying and aggravating to play it it's more of the same fun. If you do play it, is it worth leveling the orcs up in your fortresses before it starts or does it kind of not matter?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

You can dive right in, I thought it was fine. There are some changes, but I was into them. It doesn't look like any of the pick ups/side missions I had left are gone or anything either.

E it might make some stuff easier having better orcs, or at least a good bodyguard, going in

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. WTF posted:

So I'm lvl 40 and at the bright lord mission, I assume that triggers the endgame. I've heard lots of things - ie, don't play the endgame it's annoying and aggravating to play it it's more of the same fun. If you do play it, is it worth leveling the orcs up in your fortresses before it starts or does it kind of not matter?

It kind of doesn't matter, you'll level up your orcs during the endgame, because that's essentially what the endgame is all about.

I just jump in and play the endgame stuff or try and beat a community challenge every week or so and the game remains fun. Just don't try to grind it all out at once or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. WTF posted:

Depends on how good you are at the game.

Personally I just breezed through all of Shadow Wars by branding the attacking orc captains and then using them in the next siege. Repeat.
So basically the game just throws good captains at you.

Although, I also never lost a siege and some people in this thread said that it's a pain in the rear end if you do.
So your mileage may vary.

Also also, doing Shadow Wars totally not worth it. It's boring as poo poo and you might as well watch the true ending on youtube, IMO.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jack Trades posted:

Also also, doing Shadow Wars totally not worth it. It's boring as poo poo and you might as well watch the true ending on youtube, IMO.

I did this, and it was the right thing to do I think. I still enjoy doing a little shadow wars from time to time, but I'm glad I didn't grind through it all to see the ending. The ending is worth seeing for sure, I liked the credits music a lot. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had frustrated myself grinding through the entire shadow wars to see it. Treat the shadow wars as their own end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I did this, and it was the right thing to do I think. I still enjoy doing a little shadow wars from time to time, but I'm glad I didn't grind through it all to see the ending. The ending is worth seeing for sure, I liked the credits music a lot. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had frustrated myself grinding through the entire shadow wars to see it. Treat the shadow wars as their own end.

Yeah, I had fun with them but the point was to just keep loving around in a newgame+ kind of way, so I took it really slowly instead of trying to pound them all out really quickly.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The trick to Shadow Wars is to basically give up on fighting yourself. Don't try to keep the enemy army outside - you WANT them to get in so you can sic your captains on them. Garrison every single slot and give each captain as many bodyguards as you can, and let THEM do the heavy lifting. Run around and revive your captains when they go down. Periodically use the ability that AOE heals friendly captains, then shadow-brand a couple mooks to get your health back. Make sure to use the easy-to-forget shoulder tackle attack, too; it's great for knocking down enemies who aren't actively attacking you, so you can easily Ground Dominate them for some fast, safe health.

Any time you lose a captain, Dominate one of the invaders and use him as a replacement. Don't get too attached to captains or spend time building them up, either - outnumbering the enemy is more important than having a captain with good traits, and enemy captains in Shadow Wars are consistently so high-levelled that you can't really beat them by just outlevelling them.

You may want to somewhat avoid Berserkers and Destroyers, Berserkers in particular: They're very good at friendly-firing their own companions. Slayers are amazing and exist to wreck enemy captains.

For every captain you lose, dominate two. Blood for the blood God.

Shadow Wars becomes a LOT easier when you delegate.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Also, if you haven't done the Bright Lord mission yet, I recommend completing all the Shelob and Artifact pickups first, or as many as your sanity allows. There's some flavor text/dialogue that I assume goes missing after that mission, without getting too into spoilers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Backhand posted:

The trick to Shadow Wars is to basically give up on fighting yourself. Don't try to keep the enemy army outside - you WANT them to get in so you can sic your captains on them.

I strongly disagree.

Once they get inside, the battle turns into a total mess.
My most effortless Shadow Wars missions were the ones where I managed to stop them from entering my forts. That way I don't have to worry about allies or getting swarmed by several captains and can just focus on taking down and branding the attacking captains one by one.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Hopes/Wishful thinking for dlc.

Blade of Galadriel is Ms sassin going 'poo poo poo poo I hosed up' and her handler going 'no poo poo bitch, fix this and go find casper the friendly rear end in a top hat.' And so she does.

Desolation of Mordor is just full on guerilla war. Just finding new ways to gently caress with orc's heads. Baranor just cackling gleefully as he sprints away from half a fort panicking from spiders exploding from pots like the guy from diablo 3 set them up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

quote:

This Thursday, Eltariel’s story continues.
Join us live on stream, at 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern on January 18th - this Thursday.

Which can either mean that the DLC releases on thursday or that they are just gonna start streaming it on thursday, it's a mystery! :piss:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Which can either mean that the DLC releases on thursday or that they are just gonna start streaming it on thursday, it's a mystery! :piss:

The DLc is supposed to come out in February according to that infographic

So I guess it's just a tease for the DLC?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So that's interesting.
Celebrimbor is not going to be with you in the DLC and it looks like the story is revolving around you hunting down Talion 1.5.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jack Trades posted:

So that's interesting.
Celebrimbor is not going to be with you in the DLC and it looks like the story is revolving around you hunting down Talion 1.5.

Huh. Kind of a shame, since we already know how that one is going to end.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I mean at the end of all this talion must turn into the witch king that gets killed in return of the king, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inspector Hound posted:

I mean at the end of all this talion must turn into the witch king that gets killed in return of the king, right?

No the Witch King is still the same dude in this game that gets beat in Return of the King. Talion just turns into another one of the Nazgul replacing Isildur who he took the ring of.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Huh. Kind of a shame, since we already know how that one is going to end.

Inspector Hound posted:

I imagine there will be some plot twists at the end. They only showed the intro cinematic for the DLC on the last stream.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I spawned at the Barrows, walked forward a few feet, then this guy ambushes me from behind? How did he get there? Was he just chilling in the corner, waiting?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

My best guess, is that she's going to eventually realize her boss wants her to 'fix' the mess she made, not specifically stab up talion. Perhaps she finds some way to slow the corruption on the ring that Talion's got on so he can do his thing for so many years instead of quickly succumbing within months like most folks would.

She probably gonna fuckin die though. I can't think of many cowards in media that actually get their wish to peace out, especially in this kind of setting.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Started a new game on Gravewalker, and it's bullshit - but not necessarily in a bad way?

The arena is a huge pain in the rear end, but hunting captains is much more of a tactical exercise now, because if I'm not careful I get murdered horribly in about 2 hits.

e: turned it down to Easy to skip the end Arena fight in Act 1 because the Nemesis was immune to arrows, vaulting, reduced poison, reduced curse, massive HP, ability to heal, enraged at low HP, and had a big shield. Even on Easy he was an impossible pile of HP, it was just insanely tedious because I was never in danger but couldn't kill him.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Guess who I ran into on the last Zog mission:

• Locked thread