Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Retroblique posted:

Spare Steam key for The Long Dark from the January 2018 Humble Monthly Bundle. First come first served.

Got it, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Kopijeger posted:

Got it, thank you.
Alright! Have fun dying in the snow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone messed around with Osiris: New Dawn much?

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Asura + soundtrack is $5 on https://chrono.gg/ for 24 hours

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good games that generate levels based off your music, besides Audiosurf and Beat Hazard?

Melody's Escape and Symphony

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
If I were in the mood for an old-fashioned JRPG, which one(s) should I look at/where should I start?

Unrelated, is the Long Dark any good/fun?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FakePoet posted:

If I were in the mood for an old-fashioned JRPG, which one(s) should I look at/where should I start?

Final Fantasy IX
Trails in the Sky

And yes, yes it is. It's not to my tastes, but if you like survival games and exploring chilly places, the Long Dark is REALLY good at that.

e: There might be better old-fashioned jrpgs you could play, or worse ones that are older, but FF9 and TiTs are like, some of the best on steam and they have good ports. Please enjoy them if you haven't!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am extremely bummed out that Nier wasn't a sale pr. much anywhere. After hearing the Giant Bomb people talk it up so much I really wanted to try it myself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wanted Dragon Quest Heroes to have a big sale, but that game seems to be buried under Heroes 2.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The sale ends Jan 4th yes?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Waroduce posted:

The sale ends Jan 4th yes?

Yes -- 1pm Eastern on January 4th.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

Kind of broke this holiday season but I'd be remiss if I didn't pick up at least one game during a Steam sale. Of the stuff on my wishlist under :10bux:, what do you like?

Dragon Age: Origins
VtM Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Fallout NV Ultimate Edition
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary
Baldur's Gate EE (1 or 2 but the rules-follower in me wants to start with 1 even though I hear low-level 2E D&D is a slog)

Hollow Knight is my GOTY and maybe favorite Metroidvania.
VtM is one my favorite games of all time
I think New Vegas is my favorite Fallout.

Of those I haven't played Salt and Sanctuary and straight up did not like Axiom Verge. Everyone around here loves it but the combat blows because enemy AI is to just stand on top of your sprite and every non-boss fight is a frustrating war of attrition.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FakePoet posted:

I'm playing through the story mode and enjoying it. It's very much a survival/exploration game, so maybe watch a gameplay video or two to get an idea of it. It's pretty immersive if you let yourself get into it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you have a clogged wishlist, go through it one-by-one. If you're not going to buy it and play it now, remove it. If you've added the game back in 2016, buy it now or remove it. Start the year fresh with a clear wishlist.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Blattdorf posted:

If you have a clogged wishlist, go through it one-by-one. If you're not going to buy it and play it now, remove it. If you've added the game back in 2016, buy it now or remove it. Start the year fresh with a clear wishlist.

Conversely, buy everything $5 or less. Wait for the rest to get cheaper. Never play anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Mmm... I get your message here, but I like having things to look forward to. Trimming your wishlist of stuff you don't want is good, but the rest? It's there for the summer sale, or when you can throw down 60$ or what have you. Go into 2018 expecting it to be filled with really good games. :D

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Not sure this is the thread to ask since I'm not looking for a deal as such, but:

Is there a game that basically has some subset poker/cards/chess/checkers/old-school games with no kind of actual money or national competition or monthly fees or anything? Basically I'm looking to replicate a low-key poker night for friends who're scattered across the country. Something to have going on while talking, that kind of thing. On Steam would be ideal for the friends list, but it's not mandatory.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Not sure this is the thread to ask since I'm not looking for a deal as such, but:

Is there a game that basically has some subset poker/cards/chess/checkers/old-school games with no kind of actual money or national competition or monthly fees or anything? Basically I'm looking to replicate a low-key poker night for friends who're scattered across the country. Something to have going on while talking, that kind of thing. On Steam would be ideal for the friends list, but it's not mandatory.

Actually, running for 10 bucks currently, is Tabletop Simulator - which, by way of the steam workshop (and includes some built in basic games like checkers!), is basically everything you describe. There are also some really fuckin cool DLC for big-boy board games like Scythe, and in the Workshop people have recreated anything from chess to Twilight Imperium.

It's a little more complex as its simulating the table with physics and all, but modules can have elaborate control zones and rules enforcement that is pretty much at the discretion of the scenario creator.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 1, 2018

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Thanks, that looks like just the trick!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Blattdorf posted:

I dunno. Steam is such a mess these days that it feels like wishlists are the only to manage any of it

I basically wishlist anything that looks remotely interesting and use it as an alternate storefront

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WarpDogs posted:

I dunno. Steam is such a mess these days that it feels like wishlists are the only to manage any of it

I basically wishlist anything that looks remotely interesting and use it as an alternate storefront

This is basically what I do. If I come across something that seems fairly interesting, but I'm not ready to purchase it (maybe because it hasn't come out yet, is still in pretty early access, or it's just not good timing) I'll wishlist it. It acts more like a "watch"-list at this point.

But yeah I agree, with the relentless influx of asset-flips, bargain-bin-tier garbage, and dopey "achievement" games, the odds of organically finding and recalling a decent game on Steam seems to shrink every day.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 1, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Every since I filtered out anime and jpg-maker the games got a bit better, now need to refine that somewhat by somehow adding "minecraft garbage graphics" and survival mmo. I am hesitant to also filte out early access. I have never bought a game in ea but some seem promising.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dead Cells looks rad. For EA I've purchased Battle Brothers and Rise to Ruin that I can think of. Both I made sure I would be ok with the games as-is before I went ahead (though Steam makes the purchase a little riskier because if they gently caress up a game it's not like you can easily go back to a previous build).

Is there nowhere on the Steam library page that shows if I can use a controller or not or what genre the game is? I keep having to go to the Store page to find basic info which seems kind of backwards.

odiv fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 1, 2018

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Hopper posted:

Every since I filtered out anime and jpg-maker the games got a bit better, now need to refine that somewhat by somehow adding "minecraft garbage graphics" and survival mmo. I am hesitant to also filte out early access. I have never bought a game in ea but some seem promising.

Frankly Factorio is demonstration enough that Early Access is an entirely voluntary label in cases where it needn't even be one, and Paranautical Activity is demonstration enough that the removal of said label doesn't necessarily mean jack poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hopper posted:

I'm tempted to filter by 'anime' but there are still fringe cases of good games I feel like I'd miss out on. My rule of thumb is if the picture has the 'anime girl blushing face' it's safe to ignore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

drat Dirty Baka

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
hows the new killer instinct? didnt even know it was on steam but its $20 now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blattdorf posted:

Because of regional pricing, there are a couple of games I've left on my wishlist for close to two years now while I'm waiting for the publishers to realize that charging 4-5x the standard US price for a DISCOUNTED game is a bad idea. Then they drop the prices to an actual reasonable level (which is how I eventually ended up getting most of the Assassin's Creed games) and THEN I decide if I'm gonna buy it or finally give up on it and drop it off my wishlist.

That said, my wishlist usually sits between 15-20 games anyway so it's not really out-of-control.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Start the year fresh with a clear wishlist.

Yey, that's me :dukedoge:
Well actually, I have and maintain an old school windows notepad wishlist :negative: But that's about 15 games or so.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow look at these wishlist scrubs. 283 and climbing :c00l:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Wow look at these wishlist scrubs. 283 and climbing :c00l:

That's almost scrub-like man, I do remember clicking someone's profile from here with a ~450 game wishlist, I'm sure he's interested in them all :gary:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You don't have a proper wishlist until it crashes the steam client of whoever is trying to gift you.

Yes, that happened. More than once.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bolivar posted:

That's almost scrub-like man, I do remember clicking someone's profile from here with a ~450 game wishlist, I'm sure he's interested in them all :gary:

Hey, I am interested in them all! I like trying games and seeing how they play and just having fun with a giant library. I don't expect that I'll love every one of those games but as I pick them up it'll be fun to find out which ones are my jam!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bolivar posted:

i removed some games from my wishlist the other day, now I only have ~425! :downs:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My wishlist grows ever larger because removing each game one by one is a pain in the rear end

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It would definitely be nice to have a seperate list for tracking things you are kind of interested in but not sure if you actually want though. Like a wishlist and a watchlist. Since my family tend to buy me a game off my wishlist on occasion and in some cases have no other way to tell if something is actually maybe good, I just keep mine for things I would not be disappointed to get as a gift.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I guess that's what the "follow" function is for?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That just spams your activity feed with announcements.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

My wishlist grows ever larger because removing each game one by one is a pain in the rear end

You can remove them all with one click if you have Enhanced Steam, the button shows up at the bottom of your wishlist IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There was some guy in the Steam thread who had almost 6000 games on their wishlist and it crashes Steam/browser every time they tried to open it.

• Locked thread