Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SamDabbers posted:

Does your DC even have air conditioning? With ambient temperature that low you just need some fans to keep recirculating, and maybe a couple outside vents to mix in cold air.

+40C in summer, dude (104F)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

SamDabbers posted:

Does your DC even have air conditioning? With ambient temperature that low you just need some fans to keep recirculating, and maybe a couple outside vents to mix in cold air.

Still have to manage humidity. The biggest issue with using outside extremely cold air is that it is insanely dry and will drop the humidity in the DC too far. Some humidity is desirable in a DC to limit static buildup.

That being said, I would assume the chillers have a pretty easy time maintaining temp during the winter!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Texting is not an appropriate method of professional communication.

Businesses that communicate over text is a red flag, either their communication systems suck so hard they refuse to use them or they're hiding something by communicating outside of official channels.

Holy poo poo I used to deal with this all the time. Production managers used to think that a text at 3:00AM got them off the hook when something went down. I had a huge meltdown during a morning production meeting because the IT system went down overnight and the shift leader sent a text instead of following the helpdesk process.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

In the winter one of our DCs will pull some outside air to cool. Someone flipped the fan to "On" instead of "Auto" and I got about 150 alerts about the temperature being too low.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Revol posted:

I think the other issue was that with external helpdesk, the expectation is that you solve the customer's problem. On this internal helpdesk, there seemed to be more of a focus of simply moving things along. If a call got too long, it's essentially an automatic escalation. Too long was considered 20 minutes, which is weird because in my prior experience, 20 was the average length that you wanted to reach. I know I had a call today that I was told to get off and move on, that I felt I was on the verge of solving. But I wasn't about to argue about it. Now that ticket is sitting in an escalation queue that is handled by two people, one of which has been on vacation all week, and the other was training us, so it's gotta be overflowing.

That really bothers me. Because of my past experience, I am very customer-driven. I don't like the idea of having somebody wait for days, maybe weeks, when I might have taken care of them if I had 10 more minutes.

But is that just the way internal helpdesk works?

This really depends on the situation. If they are able to work around whatever is going on without too much trouble, it can wait. If volume isn't too high and you can articulate your next steps, rather than the old 'throw google at the wall and see what sticks', I'd probably let you keep going for a bit. If it's a C-level or VP or whatever, you're probably OK to keep plugging at it regardless, unless it looks like the guy that has already been on hold six minutes won't get helped until you're free. If they can't work until it's fixed and calls are backing up, you probably need to move on, and see if you can get the ticket pushed up to the front of the next guy's queue.

Obviously this depends on how engaged or hands-on your immediate boss is; if he's not around or is busy, if you're new and they made it clear you need to escalate and move on after 20, it's probably a bad idea to keep working on it.

It can't hurt asking your boss when it slows down or at the end of the day to get a feel for how he thinks. I've worked with strict FOLLOW THE PROCESS bosses and more flexible 'help the user if you think you can' types; find out where the line is with yours and it'll make your life much less stressful. Neither extreme is always right (or wrong), in a busy helpdesk there will always be exceptions.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Iron Rose posted:

Your attitude does you a lot of credit though - actually caring and taking pride in the quality of work and the resolutions you provide is a rare thing, and I hope it take you places.

During every interview, I try to find a way to express this. I explain that part of tech support is customer support, and that is something I embrace. I do actively care about helping people, it's part of the fun of this kind of job, and I find it strange when I see coworkers who are very much the opposite.

MANime in the sheets posted:

It can't hurt asking your boss when it slows down or at the end of the day to get a feel for how he thinks. I've worked with strict FOLLOW THE PROCESS bosses and more flexible 'help the user if you think you can' types; find out where the line is with yours and it'll make your life much less stressful. Neither extreme is always right (or wrong), in a busy helpdesk there will always be exceptions.

I got the feeling that it was the former, because this was happening on a day where it was very abnormally slow, and essentially no one had been working the escalation queue for a week.

The reason why I'm asking about this point is that I feel this was probably the main reason they didn't keep me around. I think I made the mistake of trying to troubleshoot too much on the same call. I can't imagine it was because I was asking too many questions because, if so... drat!

mllaneza posted:

He wanted to yell at me for screwing up some inventory repeatedly over the course of those 15 months, but he screwed that up: he asked me how it came to be that I didn't know that very, very important procedure. "Nobody I shadowed did it, so it never came up" was my response.

I totally understand that, this was something I was seeing as a possibility.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

wolrah posted:

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Texting chat: a couple months ago I got a text reminder that my interview would be the next day. The rest of the communication had been professional and just one text for that occasion seemed ok. I saved the number in my contacts and apparently it's my recruiter's personal cell because now snapchat is suggesting that I add him :lol:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got an email today replying to my job application for a software engineer position. A position I didn't remember applying for, but I applied for a lot of jobs earlier in the year, it's just weird that it took them six months.

Google the company, and odds are I never actually applied. They just moved their headquarters to Denver, lost a lot of people shutting down other offices, and there are a ton of interviews on Glassdoor for the same positions over the past month or so. I guess they're just shotgunning them out to everybody, not even including the job description. Just the email that would be sent if someone did apply with a link to an assessment. I sent back a reply apologizing, saying that if I did apply it was about six months ago, and asking for the job description.

This honestly sounds like it would be a trainwreck, but I'll go along with it until I'm sure I have no interest or it requires considerable time or effort. I guess I just enjoy the idea of being able to interview a company for once rather than interviewing for a company.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You'd think shotgunning was just done by the job seekers, but it goes the other way around too. I never turned off any of my job search or resume sites (good thing, huh?), so I've still been getting emails and calls. A few days ago I got an email about an IT onboarding job, because my previous job was "onboarding". Sounds great! Until I get to the bottom of their description, and they're saying that years of experience with staffing software is a requirement. If you had even glanced at my resume or profile, you'd know that isn't me. Hell, having the key word "onboarding" means I'm getting hit up about jobs like banking, nothing to do with my true experience.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Revol posted:

You'd think shotgunning was just done by the job seekers, but it goes the other way around too. I never turned off any of my job search or resume sites (good thing, huh?), so I've still been getting emails and calls. A few days ago I got an email about an IT onboarding job, because my previous job was "onboarding". Sounds great! Until I get to the bottom of their description, and they're saying that years of experience with staffing software is a requirement. If you had even glanced at my resume or profile, you'd know that isn't me. Hell, having the key word "onboarding" means I'm getting hit up about jobs like banking, nothing to do with my true experience.

Reminds me of when I interviewed for a major games designer. I was at like round 6 or something since the trend nowadays is to sit on the pot forever. The interviewer starts asking all kinds of networking questions, and even questions about how their own internal network and org chart is set up, as if I could know possibly anything about that without him absolutely failing at his own job. He was kind of a dick about it too, when it came out that I didn't know stuff I never said I knew at any time in this entire process.

This isn't hard guys. The resume doesn't say anything about networking at all, I originally applied for executive support but you guys were nice enough to try and fit a different angle, but could you at least make sure expectations are correct for everyone on your end as well?

Edit: This was kind of all over the place upon reflection. I think my point is it's easier than ever to communicate with each other and set expectations, but people consistently just don't even think of trying.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 31, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Revol posted:

I get emails for insurance agent and sales positions, saying how it would be a good fit. There is literally nothing about either of those in my profile. I think they just blast those to anyone who has a profile on Indeed or Monster or whatever.
I also keep getting calls and emails for 6 month (or less) contract jobs from Indian folks, but that's to be expected. I'm desktop support, AKA PC Janitor, with Mac experience. I like the job, but outsourcing has made earning potential in that role a bit limited.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Started off 2018 by walking into a server room that had quite a bit of flooding

:waycool:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"Hello, I noticed on you Executive level resume that you have Microsoft Office experience. Would you like to hear about this "Desktop Support" opportunity making 13$ an hour?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vargatron posted:

"Hello, I noticed on you Executive level resume that you have Microsoft Office experience. Would you like to hear about this "Desktop Support" opportunity making 13$ an hour?"

Why would an executive level resume mention Microsoft office at all?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

Why would an executive level resume mention Microsoft office at all?

:thunk:

I guess the jig is up then.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My resume doesn't mention 'Mac' or 'Apple' at all, and I still had a recruiter reach out for a support gig in an all-mac environment. Guess the company is starting to get desperate? Or some recruiters are just terrible and end up sending a majority of the messages with their wild shotgun approaches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got to listen to an on-site tech talking to external support in a conference call about how they couldn't figure out the two screws holding a card in to a network shelf after turning them 90 degrees and they seemed to stop. We got a full twenty-five minutes of thoroughly entertaining back-and-forth between them out of this :allears:. The tech thought he could use a screwdriver to wiggle it out, maybe?... Maybe there are support screws in the back holding it in??... Maybe the completely unrelated screws?... He could try using a hammer... (as an idle thought, but we could clearly hear the support guy trying to keep his calm over that one :munch:).

We knew full-well what the very simple solution was from the get-go, but you just can't let good entertainment pass by.

Both screws had to be turned at the same time so the card would slide out easily.

We had to show mercy and tell them in the end, because it was clear they weren't going to figure it out on their own. Oh look, it worked perfectly, how about that...

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
If I can e/n for a bit:

I really can't decide if I should :yotj: or not this year. I work for a medium sized company. I like what I do and while there's things about this place that annoy me, it's nothing so bad that I'd want to leave. I could easily see myself working here for years.

The thing is, I'm not making any money. I probably would be fine if I was still in the suburbs but I moved into the city this year. I have enough to pay all my bills on time, but not enough to really squirrel money away, which is terrifying because I basically don't have a support network right now.

I'm pretty sure I could easily pull down $10-15 k more than I'm making now, but I'm worried that I'll end up somewhere I really hate in the process and end up the next larches or Dick Trauma. I'm also worried the bottom will fall out of the economy and I'll be last hired, first fired.

We're also planning an ambitious product release this year at my current job, and even if everything goes off without a hitch -which it wont- it's going to be a poo poo's how because all our users are little old ladies in Nebraska who just know they click the blue one to get their email, and any change will be hugely disruptive. Part of me wants to stay and see the fireworks, but another wants to GTFO before this pile of poo poo lands right on my desk.

Should I stay or should I go?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Recruiters are terrible, but they also don't care about your opinion. Get a list of email addresses, send them all a listing of desktop support, and if some of those people hold an MBA or a VCDX, then big whoop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If I can e/n for a bit:

I really can't decide if I should :yotj: or not this year. I work for a medium sized company. I like what I do and while there's things about this place that annoy me, it's nothing so bad that I'd want to leave. I could easily see myself working here for years.

The thing is, I'm not making any money. I probably would be fine if I was still in the suburbs but I moved into the city this year. I have enough to pay all my bills on time, but not enough to really squirrel money away, which is terrifying because I basically don't have a support network right now.

I'm pretty sure I could easily pull down $10-15 k more than I'm making now, but I'm worried that I'll end up somewhere I really hate in the process and end up the next larches or Dick Trauma. I'm also worried the bottom will fall out of the economy and I'll be last hired, first fired.

We're also planning an ambitious product release this year at my current job, and even if everything goes off without a hitch -which it wont- it's going to be a poo poo's how because all our users are little old ladies in Nebraska who just know they click the blue one to get their email, and any change will be hugely disruptive. Part of me wants to stay and see the fireworks, but another wants to GTFO before this pile of poo poo lands right on my desk.

How easy do you think it would be to find a job you enjoy that underpays you as much as you are underpaid now? Because if jumping somewhere new doesn't work out you can always move again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Got to listen to an on-site tech talking to external support in a conference call about how they couldn't figure out the two screws holding a card in to a network shelf after turning them 90 degrees and they seemed to stop. We got a full twenty-five minutes of thoroughly entertaining back-and-forth between them out of this :allears:. The tech thought he could use a screwdriver to wiggle it out, maybe?... Maybe there are support screws in the back holding it in??... Maybe the completely unrelated screws?... He could try using a hammer... (as an idle thought, but we could clearly hear the support guy trying to keep his calm over that one :munch:).

We knew full-well what the very simple solution was from the get-go, but you just can't let good entertainment pass by.

Both screws had to be turned at the same time so the card would slide out easily.

We had to show mercy and tell them in the end, because it was clear they weren't going to figure it out on their own. Oh look, it worked perfectly, how about that...

This is the kind of thing where I'm glad I'm a mechanically inclined guy as well. Kind of handy helping out the network and server teams with racking stuff.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If I can e/n for a bit:

I'm with you, buddy. After 17 years at one place (though three employers, thanks to outsourcing), I got let go last year. I'm now a contractor at a place I like, but after 6 months, all they did was re-up my contract for another 6 months. I don't want to push it, because I actually like the place, people, and job - it's fairly low-stress - but, while the hourly rate is adequate, I don't get holiday pay (which killed me for Thanksgiving and Christmas - they took off two days each, then another on New Years) or vacation, and the medical at the contracting company I actually work for is double what I used to have, and what the host company has. All together, that lowers my overall yearly to less than I was making 2 years ago, which is not ideal. I'm trying to scale my lifestyle down, but it's not like anything is getting cheaper. I really hate that it has to come down to money.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Got a mail from a recruiter last week for a position that matched but I don’t find interesting. Told him what I was looking for and he wanted to call me.

Sure, I propose a time in a few days and he agrees. Next day he mails me with a generic mail asking me if I am looking for a new challenge. I reply that he mailed me a similar request the day before and we already planned a phone call.

Of course he no shows on the the day we proposed to have a talk and the day after I get generic mail number 3 asking if he can call me to discuss opportunities. At that point I just told him that he had the opportunity but missed it and that it didn’t give me the impression he’s going to have my best interests in mind.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So is this Intel CPU bug a storm in a teacup or is it legit going to be a pain in the arse for some folk?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ranter posted:

So is this Intel CPU bug a storm in a teacup or is it legit going to be a pain in the arse for some folk?

What CPU bug?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ranter posted:

From my limited understanding it is going to be a big deal. It's going to allow people to break out of their hypervisor which means all the cloud services could get pwned. It's all being dealt with in secret right now so we'll have to wait and see.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mewse posted:

From my limited understanding it is going to be a big deal. It's going to allow people to break out of their hypervisor which means all the cloud services could get pwned. It's all being dealt with in secret right now so we'll have to wait and see.

Must be why the CEO of Intel sold a shitload of stock today.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

What CPU bug?

This one:

D. Ebdrup posted:

2018 is off to a great start, with at least one theory that it's a priv-esc exploit against hypervisor(s) like the ones being used by Amazon and Google.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's also rumors that, depending on the type of work the OS/CPU is doing, performance degradation post-patch is up to 30%. But nothing is confirmed yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Throw all technology into the sun imo

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Thank God AWS is mostly AMD

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Throw all technology into the sun imo

mewse
May 2, 2006

AMD guy contributes a patch to the linux kernel saying AMD doesn't need X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao if this is what gets two vendors back as viable options for server CPUs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:master:

edit:

Anyone know how to automate the creation of voice mailboxes in cisco unity? I've automated the creation of extensions and phone deployment in call manager, but still have to log in to the poo poo rear end management interface to set up voicemail.
Google has been failing me.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 2, 2018

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

The Iron Rose posted:

Thank God AWS is mostly AMD

I uh... don't think this is correct. You have a reference for that?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mewse posted:

Not only VM breakout (which is bad enough), but one could envision a javascript based attack where a web page could execute code in ring 0. All theoretical so far, but i wonder for how long.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelboy posted:

I uh... don't think this is correct. You have a reference for that?

Yeah unless unless it was sarcasm that’s wrong? Most cloud providers are all intel.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I was aiming for sarcastic and didn't make it obvious enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

The Iron Rose posted:

I was aiming for sarcastic and didn't make it obvious enough