Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Don't worry about kitty, cats generally have non-letal terminal velocity. In fact, the most dangerous height for a cat to fall from is around 7 storeys, that's where it's moving fast enough to be in trouble but hasn't had time to flip onto it's front, relax and get ready to land. That cat would be more at risk from the traffic than the fall itself

EDIT: Cattefall taxxe

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

lmao at jester switching to his alt account to make a joke about swatting instead of cleaning up the thread.

lol! I just noticed that. Those guys are whack.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Just for fun.

Nice one :)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Potato Salad posted:

Guys im fearful for my life, hugging my jpegs a lot today

This post didn't get the love it deserved.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Everyone else : "You're retarded Montoya!"

Wasn't he in TEST at one point?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is why Shitizens hate ED so much. It's a game that keeps being a game.

Elite pilot rescued after being stranded outside galaxy

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

This is highly accurate. Where is Derek and what have you done with him?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

That's a nice part of the ED community, for sure :)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Wait, wait, wait... You burned your hands making a pavlova? You're obviously Doing It Wrong. The last 30 minutes of the meringue being in the oven, the oven should be off and the door slightly ajar and it should be all but cool by the time you take it out.
nah I pulled out an old pan from the oven, not realizing we had been pre heating already. I had probably left it in when I made the last batch of Xmas cookies

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

so I'm not going to lie, this is the same tier of "it's gameplay" as every one of those "I got stranded on the surface of the planet when my ship clipped through the surface but this upstanding citizen came to rescue me" that gets brought up as mock-worthy every couple of pages

frontier does some stuff right but pointing to people doing in-game RP that's completely orthogonal to any actual in-game content and saying "THIS is what a REAL game can be" is pretty hilarious in this thread, of all threads

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are both terrible.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's almost like space games are terrible.

I'm calling that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

big nipples big life posted:

I'm calling that.

:vince:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'm calling that.

I think you will find that space games are in fact cool and good and you should buy an Idris and also one hundred copies of Stellaris (it's about the same price).

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, it's not actually a game in the traditional sense of the word. It reminds me of the early days if Kerbal Space Program, where they had a pile of rocket parts, a physics engine and naught else. It's a toy, you smash things together and make zoom-zoom noises as you shoot your spaceman into the sky.

But, at the least it works. It performs that aspect without breaking into a dozen choking hazards if you look at it for longer than a millisecond. If people want a digital whirligig then that's a matter of taste. And on that front E:D has that much going for it, in that whatever its faults it is functional for the things people keep pretending SC does.

It's a point people keep making, but of course the cultists can't abide that basic fact.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

so I'm not going to lie, this is the same tier of "it's gameplay" as every one of those "I got stranded on the surface of the planet when my ship clipped through the surface but this upstanding citizen came to rescue me" that gets brought up as mock-worthy every couple of pages

frontier does some stuff right but pointing to people doing in-game RP that's completely orthogonal to any actual in-game content and saying "THIS is what a REAL game can be" is pretty hilarious in this thread, of all threads

I would argue that "I made a bad play and game rules punished me" is different from "the game is buggy and didn't allow me to play by the rules."

But the outcome of either being "I was stranded and couldn't do anything" is still pretty lovely

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

I think you will find that space games are in fact cool and good and you should buy an Idris and also one hundred copies of Stellaris (it's about the same price).

Stellaris is not really a space game. Also I already own it and lots of your other games. CK2 is still the best one though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stellaris is not really a space game. Also I already own it and lots of your other games. CK2 is still the best one though.

Just wait until we add the FPS module. :colbert:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Besides MOO2 is clearly the best space game.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Recorded the SQ42 Holiday Twitch Chat

The filesize was too big for pastebin so it's cut up a bit:
Vertical Slice AtV
Before live
After demo portion (tank sales)

I only see three <message deleted> so guessing those were typed that way or caught in any automatic filters they have.

My own skimming:

quote:

[11:26] magnetrongw2: hello, i'm almost up for 24 hour.. when does it start? FeelsBadMan
[11:36] borscht_bucket: I heard a rumor that Mark Hamill is gonna be a special guest presenter on this one
[11:36] borscht_bucket: That's the reason for the 24 hour delay, Hamill's flight got canceled
[11:36] dusty_lens: Elon Musk is a pretty smart investor so he probably has a lot of star citizen pledges
[11:41] josephsmith72: My anticipation is tripling every second
[11:42] jaxieman: Chris Roberts is VERY similar to Jesus Christ in a lot of ways guys.
[11:47] redroningaming: Technically speaking Crytek is Jesus and Chris Roberts is Judas Iscariot.
[11:48] daojag: I will cancel family christmas for PTU,
[11:49] borscht_bucket: I was getting 90 fps in 3.0 this morning
[11:56] josephsmith72: In the last 500 years, there have been few streams as anticipated as this one
[12:03] sarsapariller: I'M ANSWERING THE CALL AS HARD AS I CAN
[12:14] derek_was_totally_right: crytek lawyers calling
[12:15] albion622: midlife crisis with two watches on each hand and an iphone x in each pocket Kappa
[12:16] musturdballs: OMG NO ONE CARESSSSSSSSS LOL SHOW US THE GAMMEEEEEE EEEEE NOT YOUR LIFE STORY AT WORK
[12:16] hellokittyog: FAST FORWARDDDDDDDDD
[12:16] kromel: People that say this is boring, please go play a game or something. This is interesting for people that want to know the technical side.
[12:19] chabal_: This is like a crowdfunded MTV cribs LUL
[12:19] raspysquares: now i see where those millions went
[12:19] eldwynn: Looks like our backer money was well spent
[12:22] jurassic_jeremy: QUIT WASTING OUR MONEY SHOW RESULTS!QUIT WASTING OUR MONEY! SHOW RESULTS!QUIT WASTING OUR MONEY! SHOW RESULTS!
[12:22] fireknight2029: I bet they are all playing PUBG when Chris leaves EleGiggle
[12:22] lasypanda: ONE DAY CRYTEK...ALL OF THIS WILL BE YOURS
[12:22] peterlogi: Dsmarts. Goons are here
[12:23] bigcheese2013: cant wait for the bankruptcy auction, get my hands on that nice wall art !
[12:23] citizenmoderatus: And where is the game itself? Did they forgot that it was supposed to be released previous year?
[12:23] failuretoreport: So is this a REAL vertical slice.......or another "Oh we made a vertical slice for demo purposes but it's not really a vert slice"?
[12:26] hurricane2099: this is boring
[12:28] peterlogi: __ - ___ Where is your LoD games, Goon Fan boys?
[12:30] mokdon123: Microwaves in 2945? LOL
[12:30] citizen_rioht: CEFETRIA SO GOOD
[12:31] fragraptor: MICROWAVE MECHANICS!!!!! 10/10
[12:31] 1707gamer: this will be the game of my dreams
[12:31] jcontention: Hey guys, maybe we should not make everything 1 million polygons, I hear players like having more than 10 fps
[12:32] radical_refundamentalist: Stay even frostier
[12:33] tomvillder: Not enough fidelity this is disingenuous!!
[12:34] anubisrd: lieutenant simulator
[12:36] gallente_follower: PRE-Alpha after 6 years. You are so bad at game design its epic
[12:39] juntistik: This is already better than Last Jedi
[12:43] skylegendary: Performance is great. Game performance weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllll...
[12:44] borscht_bucket: JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK
[12:52] treize_k: LUL "GAMEPLAY" LUL
[12:52] cucumber_cool: DANCING SHIPS CONFIRMED
[12:55] refractive_index: OPTIMIZATION IS LAST PART OF DEVELOPMENT DUMMIES
[12:57] modmorph: like this is ps3 era graphics
[12:57] kesstwilight: 24 hr delay because he crashed here yesterday
[12:59] matthizzman: I want space titties.
[12:59] telandcoe: With the pacing, this is gonna end up being a 100+ hour game.
[01:00] jasteknik: thunmder storm..... IN SPACE!
[01:00] redlormc: so.... thunder in the vacuum of space... good thing they were worried about Newtonian physics
[01:05] chinisbots: No, not GOTY 2030. Alpha of the Year 2030 Kappa
[01:06] moctraesis: So when they releasing this shite!!!!!!!
[01:07] xfourtwox: are they going to show something stable?!? jeez, is years and the every gameplay vids is from a alpha running at 10-15fps FailFish
[01:09] rustafarii: lol @ the haters... this looks freaking insane!
[01:09] northernfox: wtf through the debris?
[01:09] mokdon123: QT through the debris? Seriously?
[01:09] steveobhave: WHERE IS THE GAME????
[01:09] luke15g: Jumping through debris? Makes sense
[01:12] alvolio10: CAN THEY FINALLY FIX THE STUTTERING BETWEEN ANIMATIONS!!!!!!!
[01:12] chainlinkspiral: I can understand taking it slow because the fps is janked, but this is so relaxed I'm putting on some Yanni to jazz things up.
[01:12] eggroley: IF you're curious about why it took them this long to make and alpha of Sqaudron 42 please look into the development of star citizen
[01:13] beefjavelin: still pre-alpha? whats first, HL3 or this game
[01:15] peterlogi: @KylbyTV it's the GOONS complaining cuz they have Terrible NET SPEEDs
[01:15] hunikengt: SQ42= BEST SPACE SIM EVER!
[01:16] kromel: You have to be brain dead to think this is boring..
[01:17] cometastral: But what is the actual point to all of this. They never say what the game is about because nothing is going on
[01:18] beeeats: slowly milling around doing nothing - this is a star citizen demo alright!
[01:18] ripperonnii: STAR CITIZEN VS NO MAN'S SKY: NO MATCH
[01:19] croestt: watch out for sand worms flying so low
[01:19] j__black: Welp. I thought surface-to-air defenses would be lame. How wrong I was.
[01:20] killianbrew: the sound of 22000 jaws dropping
[01:20] pickle_riiiiick: you literally missed nothing
[01:20] hypnoticburper: This is going to change gaming like WoW did
[01:21] texyy: people complaining because they arent used to this level of detail in any video game ever... just take it in...
[01:21] fuzzyrogue: *Generic and unrelated No mans sky joke*
[01:21] coconutztv: NO MANS SKY STILL BETTER EleGiggle EleGiggle EleGiggle
[01:22] beeeats: the scaling in this game is completely out of whack
[01:22] approximatevalue: it is, its just that everything is so large that it doesn't look fast
[01:23] solgarmur: yep flightmodel still looks floaty and way to ttwitchy and this guy is trying his best not to make it look like that
[01:23] johnqplayer: All of you trolls commenting about the speed being inaccurate need to learn the metric system and how to read a HUD
[01:24] lucidstrike: Not a lootbox. Power...receptacle.
[01:24] tuffkittyclub: @AtaSergeyNowak I think its more or less saying boring because everyone knows this game will never come out and is just essentially a tech demo
[01:25] comradk: LOOTBOXES CONFIRMED
[01:25] twitchbizkit: A BOX IN A BOX SHAPED HOLE, CUTTING EDGE
[01:25] monkeyfetus: @Evilstork Trying to restore power. There are probably mission cues that aren't in yet
[01:26] todstelzer: Complex mission. I like it.
[01:26] beefjavelin: SURE AM GLAD WE OVERCAME SUCH ADVERSITY, REALLY COMPELLING GAMEPLAY
[01:30] flander_cs: well, THANK GOD I DIDNT BUY THIS JOKE
[01:31] balrogz: STar CItizen: Assasins CREED 34
[01:31] niarbeht: Infinite ammo confirmed!
[01:31] purkk: noooo the cover system is still in!!! PLS CIG NO
[01:31] eireks: infinite bullets PogChamp
[01:31] jack_of_all_pc: infinate Ammo LUL
[01:31] frostycommando: Good to see they borrowed the AI from Wolfenstein 3D
[01:31] j__black: oh they've REALLY tightened up fps mechanics, very nice
[01:32] skuolfi: GEE WHY DOES THIS PRE-ALPHA HAVE BAD AI
[01:33] amaranthinevoidco: I wonder how many weeks they have been running through this to make sure they dont show anything buggy on stream. most scripted thing ive ever seen
[01:33] kade7596: Guys -_- Dev demo usually has unlimited ammo and god mode :P Pretty typical stuff. Don't wanna mess up the demo by dying and restarting the whole mission, eh :P
[01:33] chiggenwingz: is it linear sort of level? I thought it would be more sandbox like
[01:34] terryxmasters: She WANTS THE MEDS OhMyDog
[01:34] brunoderrabe: she needs a knife too
[01:35] zikaaz: WIP 7 years later? ??
[01:36] remi04cz: NICE PRESENTATION CIG, lets sahy all yeeeee to them, it was realy cool
[01:36] pranciskus: whelp SQ42 cis 2 years away
[01:36] makoruu: Star Citizen will never be finished.
[01:37] refractive_index: VERY IMPRESSED
[01:37] jojoeyjojo: SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILL
[01:42] uebertreibear: DS is in a salt mine PJSalt
[01:44] tonkhunter: Star Citizen, coming near you in 2121
[01:49] doesntevenmeta: have fun "playing" on ptu if you dont have atleast 16 GB of RAM LUL
[02:06] mellowingonjello: anyone asking what's the point of tanks?i'll tell you, it rhymes with "honey"
[02:13] birdsseye: buying stuff for an unfinished game LUL

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SoftNum posted:

I would argue that "I made a bad play and game rules punished me" is different from "the game is buggy and didn't allow me to play by the rules."

But the outcome of either being "I was stranded and couldn't do anything" is still pretty lovely

Granted, but I'm just saying that saying "Instead of using non-RP gameplay mechanics to get back into a playable state, I did a bunch of other stuff that nobody in their right mind would ever choose to do instead for shits and giggles" doesn't (necessarily) make for good gameplay. It's literally the same thing as Chris and his movie-vision stuff-- it can make for a good story, but the fact that you can write a story with a game as the medium is more a comment on you as a writer than the game as...well, a game.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Of course it's called The Perception.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Now that Christmas and New years festivities have ended, it's that time again,

CIG shamelessly presents,

Our winter of missed content. :thumbsup:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is the lean times, when CIG goes dark for a few weeks. The only we have to keep the thread from eating itself is Derek's lawsuit against someone for saying mean things on the internet. I hope it can sustain us.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

quote:

[12:55] refractive_index: OPTIMIZATION IS LAST PART OF DEVELOPMENT DUMMIES

This person literally does not understand game development (or any performance based code development for that matter.)

While premature optimisation being a thing is true (especially for junior coders), at the same time if you can you should keep an eye on performance at all times, and optimise where possible at all stages of a project. Some optimisations need to be done early, as the structure of your code can matter in this regard.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Codezombie posted:

This person literally does not understand game development (or any performance based code development for that matter.)

While premature optimisation being a thing is true (especially for junior coders), at the same time if you can you should keep an eye on performance at all times, and optimise where possible at all stages of a project. Some optimisations need to be done early, as the structure of your code can matter in this regard.

You clearly don't understand dummy development

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Thing is that space / sci-fi is a great setting for a game. Just like high fantasy, grimdark, cyberpunk, many historical periods, etc. Not all settings work equally well for all genres. Space Opera is great for 4X, difficult for Grand Strategy, and Stellaris does a pretty darn good job at being what it is, imo, by using 4X elements to address aspects where it is a difficult setting for Grand Strategy. Your mileage may vary. But for me that's one of the main reasons I enjoy it, and I have difficulty getting hooked by Space Opera 4X in general.

Star Citizen is a weird setting which is a little bit Space Opera and very much "WW2-sci-fi". That is great for a story-based dogfighting game that doesn't care about physics and realism, but is about cool pewpews and hammy cinematics. But it's a terrible setting for a sandbox game, a decent one for a PvP game and a difficult choice for an PvE MMO. Star Citizen wants to be all of these and it absolutely doesn't work. Even if we disregard all the issues on the technical side, the choice of setting and game doesn't work. A PvE MMO needs a theme park and content-recyling mechanics. A PvP game needs a strong meta-game based on factions, rankings and/or player communities. Sandboxes need a mechanics supporting exploration, player-constructed content and emergent gameplay.

It's really difficult to make a space MMO that isn't total garbage, and it's probably going to be niché if it works. Like Eve and ED. I think that's why so many backers pin their hopes on subsumption being SkyNet, procedural content somehow not being repetitive and "pipelines". Because what they want isn't actually possible with current technology.

They want West World or the Holo Deck. But procedural content gives you NMS, Dwarf Fortress and ED. Current AI technology gives you uh... DOTA bots? Black & White AI was overhyped. Radiant AI was overhyped. "Pipelines" give you the amount of content in AAA games. Attempting accurate simulation of physics at an object-level in a space MMO as anything but fancy local VFX gives you either Glitchy Lag Simulator or Go-Broke-In-The-Cloud Simulator.

Seeing the constant chants of "you don't understand game development" irks me to no end, because backing the Star Citizen project is based on fundamentally not understanding what is technologically possible, let alone what is possible with fricking CryEngine/LumberYard (which can be used to make awesome games, but not to secure the Turing Award) - because where Molyneux used dreams as a marketing tool, the open development of Star Citizen leaves no doubts about CIG constantly trying to do what the technical foundations absolutely do not support. This isn't about alpha or development cycles. The problem isn't the glitches, bugs, or missing content. That's just development hell, and good games can emerge from that. The problem is the stupid idea that there is some magic technology underneath it all, and that's going to save the day. And that's where CIG should be honest and squash those insane expectations. But I guess that would kill the project faster than any space court.

TL;DR:
Space games aren't bad.
Space games relying on non-existent technology to succeed despite not having a functioning game design are bad.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Of course it's called The Perception.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS6n83llO2w/

#theperceptionmovie

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/948216397959753729

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

[01:15] peterlogi: @KylbyTV it's the GOONS complaining cuz they have Terrible NET SPEEDs

lol I didn't see this one. What a beautifully 1996 own.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are both terrible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ISPs throttle the connection speeds of all goons.

It is known.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, it's not actually a game in the traditional sense of the word. It reminds me of the early days if Kerbal Space Program, where they had a pile of rocket parts, a physics engine and naught else. It's a toy, you smash things together and make zoom-zoom noises as you shoot your spaceman into the sky.

But, at the least it works. It performs that aspect without breaking into a dozen choking hazards if you look at it for longer than a millisecond. If people want a digital whirligig then that's a matter of taste. And on that front E:D has that much going for it, in that whatever its faults it is functional for the things people keep pretending SC does.

It's a point people keep making, but of course the cultists can't abide that basic fact.

They're terrible for different reasons.

Elite is an extremely well-crafted depression simulator.

Star Citizen is trying to present itself as a well-crafted depression simulator, and using that impression to scam idiots.

Therefore, Star Citizen is much more terrible. But just because Elite is better, doesn't mean it's good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

They're terrible for different reasons.

Elite is an extremely well-crafted depression simulator.

Star Citizen is trying to present itself as a well-crafted depression simulator, and using that impression to scam idiots.

Therefore, Star Citizen is much more terrible. But just because Elite is better, doesn't mean it's good.

There's a whole book worth reading about the nature of 'quality' and why assertions of good and bad are entirely subjective. 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' doesn't have a lot of Zen or motorcycle maintenance, but it does make you think about some very basic things that we take for granted.

I'm playing a lot of Diablo III at the moment. It's also not a great game, but I keep pressing the lever for Blackthorne's loving trousers.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sabreseven posted:

Our winter of missed content. :thumbsup:

:golfclap:

Hav posted:

There's a whole book worth reading about the nature of 'quality' and why assertions of good and bad are entirely subjective. 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' doesn't have a lot of Zen or motorcycle maintenance, but it does make you think about some very basic things that we take for granted.

I learned to be rich and keep my faucets in working order.

I'm not sure if that was the intended takeaway.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

I learned to be rich and keep my faucets in working order.

I'm not sure if that was the intended takeaway.

One of them. I thought the whole 'quality' rabbit hole was fascinating; like a post hoc fallacy that was self-sustaining.

I'm a bit weird.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

I'm playing a lot of Diablo III at the moment. It's also not a great game, but I keep pressing the lever for Blackthorne's loving trousers.

I derive subjective enjoyment from the objective, classical dismantling of your subjective enjoyment.

I'm zen af.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Just wait until we add the FPS module. :colbert:

Is that the ground combat rework I keep hearing about?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

People claiming Elite is terrible or not actually a game are basically Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Elite is a game and is ok but it's not what I'm looking for but is cool to read about