Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the notch!

mostly i'm angry about no touch id, and all the goofy gestures they have to account for not having a home button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

the notch!

mostly i'm angry about no touch id, and all the goofy gestures they have to account for not having a home button.

its kinda heavy and still slippery like everything after the 6

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there are a lot of ads for the iphone x on hulu. like back to back. I think that's a bad sign for its sales

also one commercial focuses entirely on singing animojis

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

graph posted:

my wife just got an SE and boy is that a great design. i hope they update the internals (and only the internals) so i can replace my 6 with one later this year.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
face id works great, the notch is fine, the gestures you gradually learn exactly like you gradually learned all the ways that you could use the home button

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the X has effectively stopped people from force closing all their apps to ‘get better battery life because then apps aren’t running in the background’ because the swipe-up-to-force-quit motion in the multitasking switcher is hidden behind another non-obvious gesture so everyone thinks Apple took that away.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

the X has effectively stopped people from force closing all their apps to ‘get better battery life because then apps aren’t running in the background’ because the swipe-up-to-force-quit motion in the multitasking switcher is hidden behind another non-obvious gesture so everyone thinks Apple took that away.

Good, force closing apps kills battery.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it doesn't, it frees up memory that ios is poorly managing

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i find it weird that they must've been planning the x for years but still managed to fragment the swipe up from the bottom gesture into totally different functionality on their latest iPhone models (and a weird hybrid on ipad)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i find it weird that they must've been planning the x for years but still managed to fragment the swipe up from the bottom gesture into totally different functionality on their latest iPhone models (and a weird hybrid on ipad)

ipads and older phones have a home button and the new one doesnt and needs a gesture hope this helps

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

rjmccall posted:

face id works great, the notch is fine, the gestures you gradually learn exactly like you gradually learned all the ways that you could use the home button

wrong

Face ID sucks

it might get better but the amount of times it fails is ridiculous - in bed with a pillow, walking, trying to look at it under the table, with a hand on my mouth, drinking water

seriously I’ve put in my password more times in a month with Face ID than 5 years of Touch ID

Edit: now I have to pray and look directly at my black screen in order to access the wonders within, next update I will be required to kneel

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

wrong

Face ID sucks

it might get better but the amount of times it fails is ridiculous - in bed with a pillow, walking, trying to look at it under the table, with a hand on my mouth, drinking water

seriously I’ve put in my password more times in a month with Face ID than 5 years of Touch ID

Edit: now I have to pray and look directly at my black screen in order to access the wonders within, next update I will be required to kneel
anecdotally, i retrained faceid since i was noticing more and more failures and it seemed to work better. i dunno if it cleared out a bunch of other peoples dumb faces skewing my results since it learns faces if it fails and you enter a passcode or what, but could be worth trying

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also the gestures own, app switching is as easy as its ever been

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

sleepwalkers posted:

anecdotally, i retrained faceid since i was noticing more and more failures and it seemed to work better. i dunno if it cleared out a bunch of other peoples dumb faces skewing my results since it learns faces if it fails and you enter a passcode or what, but could be worth trying

yeah I’ve been doing that, entering my password when it fails due to trying to open it at an angle

it does get better and more accurate, and to be fair Face ID works most of the time and it’s really cool...

but there’s a bunch of cases where Touch ID was clearly better (just setting the phone on a table and by the time you looked at it it would be unlocked, where now you have to pick it up and look at it)

not a Face ID fan tbh

it’s the only thing I don’t like about the new phone X

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the only time it reliably fails and annoys me is when it’s sitting on a pillow and my face is obviously not in view. i assume i’ll internalize this lesson in another week or so

i guess i don’t generally try to use my phone when getting gang-tackled in the middle of a rugby pitch or whatever the gently caress you’re doing, though

swiping from the top is so much more reliable than it ever was with my 5s, because a swipe from the bits next to the notch always counts

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

poty posted:

whats so bad about it

it's a piece of poo poo!!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
gonna get an iPhone X just to own the libs

ufarn
May 30, 2009
how and when is faceid "learning"? is it only during failed authentication attempts followed up by successful ones, or does it also do stuff during regular authentication?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

sleepwalkers posted:

also the gestures own, app switching is as easy as its ever been

this a thousand times

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

how and when is faceid "learning"? is it only during failed authentication attempts followed up by successful ones, or does it also do stuff during regular authentication?
it does it during regular authentication, also

quote:

To improve unlock performance and keep pace with the natural changes of
your face and look, Face ID augments its stored mathematical representation
over time. Upon successful unlock, Face ID may use the newly calculated
mathematical representation—if its quality is sufficient—for a finite number
of additional unlocks before that data is discarded.
Conversely, if Face ID fails
to recognize you, but the match quality is higher than a certain threshold and
you immediately follow the failure by entering your passcode, Face ID takes
another capture and augments its enrolled Face ID data with the newly
calculated mathematical representation. This new Face ID data is discarded
after a finite number of unlocks and if you stop matching against it. These
augmentation processes allow Face ID to keep up with dramatic changes in
your facial hair or makeup use, while minimizing false acceptance.

https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

so in other words faceid uses a rolling average

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

whats so bad about it

faceid sucks and is infinitely worse than touchid

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Linguica posted:

so in other words faceid uses a rolling average

yeah but you can't just say that to most people who have no idea what that means

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
no you say artificial intelligence or machine learning instead so people know exactly what you mean

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

the notch!

graph posted:

i literally wouldnt care for any of these reasons

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ur sitting wrong.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90155533/what-apples-new-office-chairs-reveal-about-work-in-2018

quote:

Moreover, there’s a sense in which offices are being designed to flatter the way that millennial workers would like to see themselves: Not as office drones, but creative types with side hustles and Instagram followers. The offices that companies aspire to, says Orpilla, are those that look creative and make workers feel like they’re part of a creative organization. “People have their own Pinterest pages and personal brands,” he adds. “We’re creating this backdrop for making them feel like creators themselves.” #Influencers don’t clock in. They make #impact from the throne of a lounge chair, not the confines of a cubicle.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that sure is a lot of words about the appearance of a chair that looks like it could come from office depot

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"my open floorplan desk chair is a shaped like a racecar. Do you sit in a racecar?"

"I sit in a comfy chair in my personal office"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i am not seeing adjustable back and neck support. hard pass.

(seriously who the gently caress thought that was a good idea. at least get an aeron, that one looks appley)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:jerkbag:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elder Postsman posted:

the notch!

face id works a lot better than you would think

the gestures are not actually noticable when you're using it

graph posted:

yeah this is the actual problem with the X

it is like a brick in your pocket, and good luck holding onto one without a knob stuck to the back

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Elder Postsman posted:

my wife just got an SE and boy is that a great design. i hope they update the internals (and only the internals) so i can replace my 6 with one later this year.

a full screen version with the rounded edges would be a dream phone for me but ill settle for a full screen 9.5Xs

Plorkyeran posted:

that sure is a lot of words about the appearance of a chair that looks like it could come from office depot

its basically like several ikea chairs that cost less than 1k but dont come in rose gold and space grey

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Agile Vector posted:

a full screen version with the rounded edges would be a dream phone for me but ill settle for a full screen 9.5Xs

A 4.7" X2 would be the best phone.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"my open floorplan desk chair is a shaped like a racecar. Do you sit in a racecar?"

"I sit in a comfy chair in my personal office"

This

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
It's kind of weird dumb that Siri can't activate my iPhone X's flashlight function. I mean, it's not like I can't do it myself, but why can't Siri do that for me?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i finally saw a friends iphone x in person. the screen is real nice but the face id only worked like 70% of the time. it was faster than i expected it to be though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That chair owns and I'm looking for one now for sure

In other news:

http://fortune.com/2017/12/22/apple-products-design/

"...In fact, enumerating the ways Apple design fails consumers seems to have become an international pastime. Google “Apple design sucks,” and you’ll find a never-ending litany of the seemingly infinite ways that this ostensible paragon of design excellence misses the mark: The Watch isn’t out-of-the-box intuitive; the latest keyboards are annoying and fragile; Apple Pencils are easy to lose; the iPhone has been flawed ever since Apple introduced that camera lens that juts out on the back, and things have gotten worse with the “notch” on the screen of the iPhone X. Belittling headlines abound: “The Myth of Apple’s Great Design” (The Atlantic), “What Happened to Apple’s Faultless Design?” (The Verge), and “Apple Is Really Bad at Design” (The Outline), a recent screed that generated a lot of online chatter.

“I would argue that Apple design is as good as ever,” says John Gruber, the dean of Apple bloggers. “Look at the most recent products. AirPods last year, and the iPhone X this year, are quintessential Apple products. There’s a huge ‘it just works’ factor to them both.”

lol Gruber

but even Gruber admits the TouchBar sucks in that article

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

airpods legitimately own tho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

whats so bad about it

can't add files without wiping the phone

Adbot