Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

G-Hawk posted:

I disagree. Do you think, if any of the teams that played each other today played each other 10 times, one team would win all 10? Probably not. Maybe one team wins 6, 7, perhaps in a rare case 8. Its just an issue of probability. One game isn't a good way to determine who is better at a sport. Sports involve luck and variance. A series of one off games, which is what a football playoff is, will not be very good at determining the best team. Because the hypothetical "best team" likely only has around a 60-70% chance to win each game. Its nothing "magical", an entire season is just a larger sample size.

I do think this is a flaw, but the current system handles this better by its relentless focus on strength of schedule.

This is getting into pure semantics. I don't think the most recent result is a way to determine who the best team is. Underdogs win sometimes, and thats great, but it doesn't make them a better team.

Given how much I love watching college football, yes? Why would you not see primarily the same teams be good? If they have the same coaches, continue to have good recruiting classes, its pretty much what you would expect. And its an exaggeration to act as if no one ever rises or falls. See FSU this year. Even Alabama hasn't been some thousand year reign. A playoff does not reduce variance, it increases it, because you're relying on a series of individual games, rather than a season's body of work.

Whats a better way to determine a good field goal kicker, ask people to kick as many as they can make in a row, or ask them all to kick 100 and see what the percentage comes out to? Its obviously the latter. And while a season isn't 100 games, and the difference in strength of schedule makes judging teams harder, a longer season is going to give you a more accurate idea of a team than a single game.

I'm pro banning FCS scheduling.

Don’t FCS programs get a comical amount of money for offering their heads on a silver platter to bigger schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Cool so I have no one to root for in this year's game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Expand the regular season to 16 games and bowls, determine conference and national champions by a series of Monte Carlo simulations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

A big issue was also UCF's schedule. Yeah, they're a group of five team, but their power 5 opponents were Georgia Tech (a game which was cancelled) and Maryland. So they were undefeated but never had a chance to show how good they were versus top 10 competition, which is definitely more important if you're a group of five team that loving sucked very recently. In contrast, Auburn had two drat losses but almost got into the playoff because they would have beaten the #1 team in the country twice in a row

The problem is with a G5 that's known to be good becomes a double edged sword. They want to schedule P5 teams that are perceived as good, but no one wants to play you because the P5 doesn't want to end up getting beat by a G5 team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UCF's upset of Auburn is very much the outlier to what typically happens when a G5 has a hell of a year. Stop me if you've seen this story play out before:

G5 team has outstanding year. Coach gets attention from suffering P5 program. Team makes big-name bowl game. Come bowl time, coach either has left for new job, or clearly has attention on new job. G5 team faces a P5 team who likely got to that bowl game by losing a conference championship and sees it as a demotion. P5 team either blows out or sleepwalks past G5 team in bowl game that nobody watches.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
See: Florida v. Cincinnati

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

and Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan, a Cotton Bowl game that even the most ardent Badger fan probably forgot to watch.

E: lmao that was only last year, I thought that was like 3 ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

and Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan, a Cotton Bowl game that even the most ardent Badger fan probably forgot to watch.

I watched it :mad:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That Cotton Bowl was excellent compared to any BCS game that featured a Big East team post-2004

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

UCF's upset of Auburn is very much the outlier to what typically happens when a G5 has a hell of a year.

This outlier has happened three times in the AAC's five years of existence.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news: Clemson has been declared A Trash Team of lovely Morons who are The Worst at Football, thus rendering Alabama's win worthless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Clemson had a bad night, and that game might go differently if they played again next week.

Our systems are designed to dole out fleeting moments of recognition to teams who have more of an almost-arbitrarily apportioned number of points awarded to whoever happens to get luckiest within a basically random time frame.

Within a blip on the cosmic scale we will all be gone from here and no one that remembers our existence will remain. The only universal constant is that A&M is rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Clemson had a bad night, and that game might go differently if they played again next week.

Our systems are designed to dole out fleeting moments of recognition to teams who have more of an almost-arbitrarily apportioned number of points awarded to whoever happens to get luckiest within a basically random time frame.

Within a blip on the cosmic scale we will all be gone from here and no one that remembers our existence will remain. The only universal constant is that A&M is rear end.

my dude

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
NCAA CFB Championship Week: The only universal constant is that A&M is rear end.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

UCF's upset of Auburn is very much the outlier to what typically happens when a G5 has a hell of a year. Stop me if you've seen this story play out before:

G5 team has outstanding year. Coach gets attention from suffering P5 program. Team makes big-name bowl game. Come bowl time, coach either has left for new job, or clearly has attention on new job. G5 team faces a P5 team who likely got to that bowl game by losing a conference championship and sees it as a demotion. P5 team either blows out or sleepwalks past G5 team in bowl game that nobody watches.

Non-power conference teams in the BCS/NY6 are 8-3 against P5/P6 opponents.

edit: is it possible that you're confusing the ultra-successful G5 at-large teams with some of the extremely mediocre Big East autobids (Cincy, Cincy, UConn) from the last few years of the BCS?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 2, 2018

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

iospace posted:

The problem is with a G5 that's known to be good becomes a double edged sword. They want to schedule P5 teams that are perceived as good, but no one wants to play you because the P5 doesn't want to end up getting beat by a G5 team.

I would be fine with some kind of pod system that replaces elective OOC games with G5 v P5 games that can't be dodged.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
just win your conference and then vote on which conference is superior at the end of the season

SEC 25 year win streak incoming.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bama finally won in the sugar bowl and threw a TD to its nose tackle, I’m very happy with this bowl season already

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Non-power conference teams in the BCS/NY6 are 8-3 against P5/P6 opponents.

edit: is it possible that you're confusing the ultra-successful G5 at-large teams with some of the extremely mediocre Big East autobids (Cincy, Cincy, UConn) from the last few years of the BCS?

Yeah i might be. Also wasn't TCU in the B12 when that Wisconsin game rolled around?

E: oh that was their last Mountain West year

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 2, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah i might be. Also wasn't TCU in the B12 when that Wisconsin game rolled around?

No, they were still in the MWC.

Looking back though, that one Cincy team that got slapped around by Florida in the BCS was highly ranked enough (#3 (!)) that they'd have gotten an at-large even if the Big East didn't have an autobid anymore, so my characterization of them getting in just because of an autobid wasn't really fair.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dawgsports/status/948212722453360640

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

No, they were still in the MWC.

To be fair on my other point, that one Cincy team that got slapped around by Florida in the BCS was highly ranked enough that they'd have been a non-power at-large even if the Big East didn't have an autobid anymore.

UCF was technically an autobid when they beat Baylor. It was right after the Big East collapsed so they gave the big east slot to the American. It was basically the same conference though (the only notable difference was that they still had Louisville) so it still probably works for this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

E: oh that was their last Mountain West year

I think they had to play in for that too. Like the year before they got a BCS game and got matched up against Boise State in what seemed like a big gently caress you to both schools.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

lol I think that's Kevin Sherrer, UT's new DC.

it's either him or Evan Gattis

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Emron posted:

Bama finally won in the sugar bowl and threw a TD to its nose tackle, I’m very happy with this bowl season already

please note that that pass had the most hilarious blocking of all time which may/may not have been legal due to colleges horrible downfield rules and it was made even better by said block

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Mark Richt would have also taken this team to the championship game

Yes, clearly Richt had no history of making GBS threads the bed against demonstratively inferior Florida/Tennessee teams, and when down multiple scores in a big game, his teams always played with steely resolve and were the kings of comebacks.

Oh, also, alternate universe 2017 Richt-coached UGA doesn't have Jake Fromm, who was run off during recruiting by Brian Schottenheimer. Remember, the guy Richt hired instead of...Lincoln Riley?

It was the right decision for UGA to move on from Richt, and it has benefited both parties. Say it, it's not hard people

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

please note that that pass had the most hilarious blocking of all time which may/may not have been legal due to colleges horrible downfield rules and it was made even better by said block

Absolutely, it almost seemed like a statement from Saban to run a pick play there, considering that Clemson won last year with one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hat in hand, I beg for TFF forgiveness for my minimeltdown.

I have embraced the crushing depression associated with life under an evil crimson empire.

In no small part because it may expedite expanded playoffs, but mostly because Bulldog misery is most import, I say Roll Tide.

FTGE for making me pull for Bama.

D.N. Nation posted:

It was the right decision for UGA to move on from Richt, and it has benefited both parties. Say it, it's not hard people

Agreed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hats off to Georgia that hitting on 19 actually worked out for them. It's undoubtedly a net positive for the sport in that it's given birth to Dark Richt and a newly relevant U.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I think it’s kind of cool that firing Richt worked out for both UGA and Miami, purely because of how unlikely that outcome seemed.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It looks like they are cuddling :3:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

It looks like they are cuddling :3:

It’s like one of those fear factory haunted house photos

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Hat in hand, I beg for TFF forgiveness for my minimeltdown.

I have embraced the crushing depression associated with life under an evil crimson empire.

In no small part because it may expedite expanded playoffs, but mostly because Bulldog misery is most import, I say Roll Tide.

FTGE for making me pull for Bama.

Agreed.

link to meltdown, tia

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My only hope for the 2018 season is that Alabama and Clemson don't play each other again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

My only hope for the 2018 season is that Alabama and Clemson don't play each other again.

I hope they play Part IV...

...in the Belk Bowl :twisted:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Clemson was the 1 seed in a transitional year, I don't think we've fully grasped how scary that is moving forward

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

link to meltdown, tia

It was just me being pissed about Bama getting infinite benefit of the doubt when they don’t even win their division. Nothing major, but I’m sure it was annoying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Emron posted:

It’s like one of those fear factory haunted house photos

hahaha oh man it is

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It was just me being pissed about Bama getting infinite benefit of the doubt when they don’t even win their division. Nothing major, but I’m sure it was annoying.

We all have our meltdowns from time to time, bud. It’s been a rough year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Clemson was the 1 seed in a transitional year, I don't think we've fully grasped how scary that is moving forward

I thought this was also a "rebuilding" year for Bama?

• Locked thread