Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its stupid because they shouldn't be waiting to do full strengthening dumps like in japan given that the design lifting is already done and some characters really need theirs to be relevant. We have 3 loving fantastic 3* archers and Emiya is just there collecting dust because his kit is an unfocused piece of poo poo in its current form. Its not like him being fully strengthen is power creeping anything out.

They can't move Emiya's much earlier without either redesigning the quests to change what enemies they contain or introducing enemies and servants before they appear in the story, both things they've made it fairly clear they're not willing to do. And I think that's the case for most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

In the JP new year stream, they specifically mentioned that they plan to give a new animation update to all old Servants who don't already have one by the end of 2018. I have no idea where the cut-off for "old Servant" is, but considering they updated Tamamo around Christmas, its at the very least, every Servant older than her with no animation update.

I am looking forward what they figure out for Marie, Mata Hari, Shakespeare and Hans animations. :allears:

I want Hans to just throw books and tablets at people. The one I really want to see is Martha. She'll probably have something similar to new Carmilla with Tarrasque showing up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HGH posted:

What's the preferred plan of action after Emiya gets his new skills anyway?

Crit meme team

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HGH posted:

What's the preferred plan of action after Emiya gets his new skills anyway?

Use his arts cards to art chain to 100% real quick, pop Hawkeye, either gen a lot of stars for himself or have a buddy gen some, and when there's a lot of stars and at least two cards for him in deck, pop Projection Magecraft and hit the enemy with an UBW-leading attack chain. He crits like a monster and Projection gives up upwards of 40% base damage that is then crit-improved. He's pretty much a burst-assassin-style attacker.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

the_steve posted:

I'm not seeing a downside to this.

Never said there was any.

Drake used a grail. For drinking in Okeanos if none of you rubes remember.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleared out some inactive's on JP if anyone wants to add me.

I really gotta get around to leveling Hokusai's skills but I'm all outta bones..

I also feel like they're going to have to start adding more Extra class slots on the friends list or something cuz there's way too many now.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 2, 2018

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really gotta get around to leveling Hokusai's skills but I'm all outta bones..

I also feel like they're going to have to start adding more Extra class slots on the friends list or something cuz there's way too many now.

Added you, i'm agrajag.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Tossed out a friend request, username is ロビン.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Even though you have such good gacha luck, your lack of skill ups disgust me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Endorph posted:

Pretty much the only complaint is that it only has one bathroom and he could probably convert any one of the spare rooms into one if he wanted to do some home improvement.

If you mean only one bathroom in the sense of bathing area you are correct, however the out building (where Rin, Sakura, and Rider's rooms are located) has a toilet because at some point after FSN and before Ataraxia the old toilet there breaks and Shirou replaces it with a fancy new one. This results in a rather silly scene in Ataraxia where Shirou is working in his shed, hears a strange and girlish scream and shortly later a very flustered Rin storms in berating him. Technological illiterate she is, she was using the new toilet and started playing with the weird buttons and activated the bidet.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

UchihaHirou posted:

Even though you have such good gacha luck, your lack of skill ups disgust me.

That's the problem with having so many servants, you don't have the resources to properly skill them if you focus on ascending.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's the problem with having so many servants, you don't have the resources to properly skill them if you focus on ascending.

I feel you. I'm constantly afraid that if I level a skill, I'm going to end up not being able to ascend a servant.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Added

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

the_steve posted:

I feel you. I'm constantly afraid that if I level a skill, I'm going to end up not being able to ascend a servant.
Do what I did and make a mat spreadsheet, and populate it with the servants you know you want to ascend so that way you never dip below the numbers you need for them.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
To be fair, up until Camelot, you can live without leveling up skills, but past that you're gonna need to buff those up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Compendium posted:

To be fair, up until Camelot, you can live without leveling up skills, but past that you're gonna need to buff those up

Eh. I don't think it's really mandatory. I've cleared part 1 and done most of EoR without putting much into skills.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Investing in Cu's skills is essential for his path to become Immortal

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I try to get all of them to at least 4. It's when it starts to dip into ascension materials that I have to do some research to see if it's worth it or not.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

level all of your waifu's skills to 10, other than that it's more a "how important is this skill to what this servant actually needs to do"

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Compendium posted:

Never said there was any.

Drake used a grail. For drinking in Okeanos if none of you rubes remember.

I did like that Drake's grail basically just made food and alcohol for the pirates, because that was the closest thing she had to a 'wish'.
And removed bullet invincibility from servants and monsters, because of a deep-seated belief that things should die when shot.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Imagine she was able to circumvent the world because of infinate food and gun kill all the sea monster.

She did said she took it from poseidon...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wasn't it implied that Drake's grail was THE Holy Grail? Aka the Cup of Christ and all that? Or did I read into that too much.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Added you, I'm Eskra.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Dee Ehm posted:

The Heavens Feel movie tickets had a recipe for Mapo Tofu on them, supposedly. I have it copied somewhere at my house. If I can find it I'll post it.

Throwing back to this because yes please if you can.
I rather like mapo tofu.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wasn't it implied that Drake's grail was THE Holy Grail? Aka the Cup of Christ and all that? Or did I read into that too much.

Nasu-verse is a little weird about what a grail actually is. Drake’s grail is an original treasure she found on her own merits and not one seeded to the singularities, but I don’t think they say if it’s the grail of Christ or anything.

Very minor spoilers for Babylonia: Gilgamesh also has one because he’s Gilgamesh. And he was waaay before Christ.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

All the Grails are THE Grail.

The Grail has always existed, as it True Magic, a container that grants wishes, and helps people reach the Root; It has always existed even if the Holy Grail- the thing that Jesus drank out of- did not always exist, and as I understand it they are one in the same.

Drake's Grail was the Grail of her timeline, and she was supposed to possess it. The extra grails of the Singularities are Grails that are not supposed to exist within the timeline, and thus cause the instability. That's why there were two grails in Okeaneos; the one that was not supposed to exist, and thus was causing the Singularity in the first place, and Drake's Grail, the Grail she, as the Woman who brought down the sun and the Pioneer of the Stars, was supposed to possess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't remember, which writers were the leads on which singularities again?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am looking forward what they figure out for Marie, Mata Hari, Shakespeare and Hans animations. :allears:
I really hope they give Mata Hari some flashy dance attacks. Her having default caster animations is dumb as hell.

I also need them to give her the quest for her third skill already.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 3, 2018

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I can't remember, which writers were the leads on which singularities again?

Nasu on Fuyuki, Camelot, Babylon, Solomon, and basically overall editor of part 1.
Higashide on Orleans, Okeanos and America
Sakurai on Septem, London, helped with America, wrote a scene in Camelot.

The specific author of each EoR sub-singularity isn't known, but the order is strongly suspected to be Sakurai, Minase, Higashide, and Meteor respectively. And naturally, Nasu wrote the CCC gaiden chapter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
On the one hand, I do credit Sakurai for helping Prototype get expanded by doing the prequel novels and giving us Servants like Ozy and Arash

On the other hand, I always get the impression from translations that their writing is kind of ehhhhhhn

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakurai wrote the best singularity of EoR, is probably the reason America ended up so good, and didn't write Apocrypha like a certain other person on that list, so idk why they're under suspicion of being the weak link.

Higashide did do a good job with Shimosa though, credit to him.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

tokomon posted:

Throwing back to this because yes please if you can.
I rather like mapo tofu.

I got you friend. It came from a pamphlet for the movie, here's someone else's translation of the recipe.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I've only read the first volume of fragments, but I wouldn't trust any non-professional translation of Sakurai's writing to get her style across well. IMO she's the best writer that's not Nasu on the writing team, she just took some time to get used to the format.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Dee Ehm posted:

I got you friend. It came from a pamphlet for the movie, here's someone else's translation of the recipe.

Bless. :toot:

Since I moved I haven't found anyone who makes it to my tastes, and this actually seems pretty close.
Sometimes you just gotta make it your own goddam self.

Now if I could just make at least Karna show up...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

taser rates posted:

I've only read the first volume of fragments, but I wouldn't trust any non-professional translation of Sakurai's writing to get her style across well. IMO she's the best writer that's not Nasu on the writing team, she just took some time to get used to the format.

This is my impression too. Septem was awful, but London is probably the single best singularity so far. Nothing got me to mark out as hard as Kintoki showing up and being GOLDEN. Higashide is more consistent, but I'd say his overall quality isn't as high as Sakurai's and his misses are godawful (uuuugh, Apocrypha).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

level all of your waifu's skills to 10, other than that it's more a "how important is this skill to what this servant actually needs to do"

How much you gain out of raising the skill is also a factor. Skilling up something like an evade buff often isn't that useful unless you can get it to 6 or 10 for the cooldown reduction, since its main function is the same at all skill levels and the secondary buff that actually improves with skill level can range from good to inconsequential.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 3, 2018

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Thuryl posted:

How much you gain out of raising the skill is also a factor. Skilling up something like an evade buff often isn't that useful unless you can get it to 6 or 10 for the cooldown reduction, since its main function is the same at all skill levels and the secondary buff that actually improves with skill level can range from good to inconsequential.

i am constantly reminded of how Bedivere has a NP charge skill and a team def buff skill, and how leveling them increases... only the rando debuff resistance slapped onto both, why DW do you do this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

it helps their cooldown!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Meanwhile Drake goes from +30% NP to +50% charge on her skill. Because Drake is Best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Transient People posted:

This is my impression too. Septem was awful, but London is probably the single best singularity so far. Nothing got me to mark out as hard as Kintoki showing up and being GOLDEN. Higashide is more consistent, but I'd say his overall quality isn't as high as Sakurai's and his misses are godawful (uuuugh, Apocrypha).

The choice of GOLDEN to appear as the Deus Ex Machina to buy our heroes time and the exchange between him and Tesla calling back to the Servant Alignments and philosophies of challenging the world to create a new age because HUMANS and whatnot was really inspired. The tension in the early parts of the story as you flee through the streets constantly fighting without really knowing what was going on after almost being assassinated by Jack and having to deal with her memory erasing ability was also fantastic stuff. London had problems here and there but overall it was a very good bit of work.

I've said before Septem's real crime is potential wasted, because it had an interesting concept, intriguing plot threads and characters, and a well-conceived idea for the main character arc for Nero. It just all fell apart somehow. Plot threads went nowhere, characters weren't full realized, and the house of cards collapsed even before the ending was kind of stupid. That being said, knowing it and London were written by the same person, I can see it, and I can see how if the execution had worked the way London's worked it could have been great.

(Also the first two or three Apocrypha novels are great :colbert: )