Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

That's a feature. It clears the ground of debris before it crashes into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

That's a feature. It clears the ground of debris before it crashes into it.

Chinooks have managed to kill most of the UK’s counter-terror bigwigs and a whole load of SEAL team 6; maybe they’re actually terrorist helicopters.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Chinooks have managed to kill most of the UK’s counter-terror bigwigs and a whole load of SEAL team 6; maybe they’re actually terrorist helicopters.

My mother worked on them; maybe she is the true terrorist. :tinfoil:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

How in the gently caress does a land rover engine fire spread to 1400 other vehicles in a concrete structure

Are yall mandating gunpowder as a construction material on knife crime island

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/01/the-associated-press-parking-garage-fire-destroys-roughly-1400-of-cars-in-uk.html

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

shame on an IGA posted:

How in the gently caress does a land rover engine fire spread to 1400 other vehicles in a concrete structure

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/01/the-associated-press-parking-garage-fire-destroys-roughly-1400-of-cars-in-uk.html

Have you never played GTA? A car on fire will explode, catching nearby cars on fire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChesterJT posted:

You've never been to a good fireworks show in your life then.

Nah I've seen the whole "Symphony of Fire" stuff in Vancouver and other well regarded shows. It's good, it's fine, but no matter the show it would always be improved with everything chaotically going off in a quarter of the time.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Farmdizzle posted:

Any relation to Phil? :haw:

odie hush

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Baronjutter posted:

Nah I've seen the whole "Symphony of Fire" stuff in Vancouver and other well regarded shows. It's good, it's fine, but no matter the show it would always be improved with everything chaotically going off in a quarter of the time.

Into the fireworks going off all at once 20 seconds in? If you happen to be a single lady, I've got just what you need. :smuggo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

The coolest firework is EOD correcting the adjective of thousands of pounds of unexploded ordinance in a single go.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Wasabi the J posted:

The coolest firework is EOD correcting the adjective of thousands of pounds of unexploded ordinance in a single go.

Note: Coolness may be modified depending on whether EOD let your site know they were going to do it or not. :v:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/awaM280.gifv

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"CENTCOM releases footage recovered from IED attack perpetrators"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

can four aerosol cans taped really make a loving huge lethal bomb like that or is there something i'm missing

also that fuse is way too short. 4 seconds once it's lit? god forbid you accidentally drop it

i'm also 99% sure that this person had no idea what they were actually doing/making

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

can four aerosol cans taped really make a loving huge lethal bomb like that or is there something i'm missing

also that fuse is way too short. 4 seconds once it's lit? god forbid you accidentally drop it

i'm also 99% sure that this person had no idea what they were actually doing/making

Yes.

Yes.

And no poo poo. It's lucky no one was driving/walking/biking down that street.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

trapped mouse posted:

Well yeah, a good thermobaric would've emptied the cans and then ignited

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

shame on an IGA posted:

If the first vehicle goes up in flames spectacularly enough, the fire should have a good chance of spreading to adjacent vehicles. With the right (wrong?) starting location and the semi-open nature of parking garages, I could see it causing its own draft and spreading rapidly that way.

But whatever way it started it's not going to stop easily because what's a parking garage but a collection of fuel cans packed close together in a ventilated lattice?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 2, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

A fuel-air explosive like that looks way more impressive than a bomb using high explosives, but has a low brisance which makes it less able to actually destroy stuff.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
That looked like it got awfully close to the house across the street. :stare:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The Lone Badger posted:

A fuel-air explosive like that looks way more impressive than a bomb using high explosives, but has a low brisance which makes it less able to actually destroy stuff.

I mean if you put enough of them together you still get there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

So my heater has a line blockage. We know this because it farted out a small explosion at midnight last night. Thankfully, there was no damage and nobody was hurt (although my dog was spooked), but I have to say that working from home gets a lot less fun when it's 40 degrees inside.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ATP_Power posted:

I mean if you put enough of them together you still get there.

Yup. Put enough thermobaric material together and you can get one hell of a bang.

On the other hand, there's this monster, filled with H6:

Composition H6 is a castable military explosive mixture composed of the following percentages by weight:[1]

44.0% RDX
29.5% TNT
21.0% powdered aluminum
5.0% paraffin wax as a phlegmatizing agent.
0.5% calcium chloride
H6 is used in a number of military applications, notably underwater munitions (e.g. naval mines, depth charges and torpedoes) where it has generally replaced torpex, being less shock sensitive and having more stable storage characteristics. It is approximately 1.35 times more powerful than pure TNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9H50tHiHjs

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 2, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is a good and correct fireworks display on the local/amateur level.
https://i.imgur.com/Pr1fMjI.mp4

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The thing that I like is that it's objectively very beautiful it's just dangerous as poo poo since it's pretty bombs.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

This has to be Iceland- it looks like the kind of unbridled pyromaniacal chaos that has allowed the island to stay mostly treeless since 870 AD.

Growing up I had friends missing eyeballs and chunks of fingers because of New Years fireworks there.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy1mbG2dGXU

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

FogHelmut posted:

that's easily a 7 year project, and you'd never see more than one machine being operated at a time

And the road would be reduced to 1 lane in each direction for 20 miles.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So the floors of our newly renovated labs have just polished concrete. Ugly, porous, will-get-eaten-by-acid concrete. Chemical spills immediately stain it and cannot truely be cleaned.

One of our labs is a containment level 2 space, IIRC. It has spills already too, one of which is mystery fluid from a bag of waste that was sitting around because our autoclaves aren't fully up and running just yet.

I need a new job.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

This kills the cab

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yup. Put enough thermobaric material together and you can get one hell of a bang.

On the other hand, there's this monster, filled with H6:

Composition H6 is a castable military explosive mixture composed of the following percentages by weight:[1]

44.0% RDX
29.5% TNT
21.0% powdered aluminum
5.0% paraffin wax as a phlegmatizing agent.
0.5% calcium chloride
H6 is used in a number of military applications, notably underwater munitions (e.g. naval mines, depth charges and torpedoes) where it has generally replaced torpex, being less shock sensitive and having more stable storage characteristics. It is approximately 1.35 times more powerful than pure TNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9H50tHiHjs

RDX is OSHA in some other ways too:

"RDX’s threat as a powerful neurotoxin affecting brain and nervous system development was at the same time becoming better understood. American troops in Vietnam had experienced epileptic fits when they ate C-4 explosives containing RDX as a sort of gruesome initiation rite. A Chinese medical journal reported that a person who accidentally ate RDX had died. Then five RDX factory workers in Tennessee also succumbed to seizures after being exposed to high levels of RDX in dust. And in 1986, researchers in Arkansas reported on a 3-year-old child who had violent seizures after he was exposed to RDX on his mother’s work boots."
"In 1990, the EPA classified RDX as a “possible human carcinogen,” a formal warning that a contaminant is potentially dangerous and deserves more study. It also revised its suggested limits for how much RDX was safe in water, determining that the level the Army had applied at Cornhusker was 17 times too lenient. Instead, the EPA suggested that only two parts per billion of RDX was safe, giving it a danger score stricter than other deadly pollutants, including benzene and the herbicide atrazine."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

This has to be Iceland- it looks like the kind of unbridled pyromaniacal chaos that has allowed the island to stay mostly treeless since 870 AD.
I celebrated new years in Reykjavik one year. What felt like the entire town packed into the square outside the big church, with drunk people lighting off fireworks in the middle of the crowd, some times just letting them go from their hands, or putting them in way too small bottles that inevitably got knocked over so the rocket would fly along the ground and detonate among people.

The Icelandic are a hardy folk.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I celebrated new years in Reykjavik one year. What felt like the entire town packed into the square outside the big church, with drunk people lighting off fireworks in the middle of the crowd, some times just letting them go from their hands, or putting them in way too small bottles that inevitably got knocked over so the rocket would fly along the ground and detonate among people.

2/3 of the 330,000 people in Iceland already live in Reykjavik, so it was probably the entire loving country packed into that square.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ATP_Power posted:

RDX is OSHA in some other ways too:

"RDX’s threat as a powerful neurotoxin affecting brain and nervous system development was at the same time becoming better understood. American troops in Vietnam had experienced epileptic fits when they ate C-4 explosives containing RDX as a sort of gruesome initiation rite. A Chinese medical journal reported that a person who accidentally ate RDX had died. Then five RDX factory workers in Tennessee also succumbed to seizures after being exposed to high levels of RDX in dust. And in 1986, researchers in Arkansas reported on a 3-year-old child who had violent seizures after he was exposed to RDX on his mother’s work boots."
"In 1990, the EPA classified RDX as a “possible human carcinogen,” a formal warning that a contaminant is potentially dangerous and deserves more study. It also revised its suggested limits for how much RDX was safe in water, determining that the level the Army had applied at Cornhusker was 17 times too lenient. Instead, the EPA suggested that only two parts per billion of RDX was safe, giving it a danger score stricter than other deadly pollutants, including benzene and the herbicide atrazine."

http://cpnrd.org/groundwater-festival/

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Being from a rural part of the country and used to having a empty field to shoot fireworks from it was quite disturbing to see how things are around Hallgrímskirkja (the big church) around midnight at new years eve. The city did try to get some control over the situation this year by putting up a special zone where people could light things up, but with the amount of people and alcohol it still feels like it's just a matter of time before something ugly happens.

There was also no wind this year, so the city was covered with a quite unhealthy amount of smoke for a while.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Just think what a little static spark could do inside that house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DtAUyaKRU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good way to gently caress up your Mack.

Butterfly Valley posted:

This kills the cab

:golfclap:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mds2 posted:

Just think what a little static spark could do inside that house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DtAUyaKRU

Let's drop burning plastic on our neighbours' houses, what could go wrong?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Let's drop burning plastic on our neighbours' houses, what could go wrong?

A decent chunk of their videos are essentially them looting said houses because they can get away with it in an evacuated former bit of Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New CSB video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tflm9mttAAI