Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
There used to be sites for outfitting a ship but I've been out of the loop so long I don't even remember.

edit: a quick google found me http://www.edshipyard.com/ is that still the good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Ratjaculation posted:

I’m nearing 200mil, thinking of a conda and working to max A most of its core systems. Any idea how that would cost roughly?

most of that 200mil would go into an A-rated powerplant lmao you need over 500mil to get close to an A-rank conda build

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

I’m nearing 200mil, thinking of a conda and working to max A most of its core systems. Any idea how that would cost roughly?

You're looking at close to 500 mil to A-rate an Anaconda. The power plant is the biggest expense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Christ, mining is boring. 200 tonnes to go to unlock this next engineer!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cheers all, lol at the power plant costing 200m.

I’m doing the medb passenger route whilst doing paperwork, so that’s doable at least

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

Cheers all, lol at the power plant costing 200m.

I’m doing the medb passenger route whilst doing paperwork, so that’s doable at least

The good news is that a B rated plant will give you enough power for most builds and is a lot cheaper. It's heavier, but more armored too so you're less likely to get power plant sniped.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Can also just use an undersized A-rated power plant unless you're doing combat for extra jump range. Few things need that much power.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This is a good link for anaconda builds: https://eddp.co/u/Rm8Q53ck . You can also do vulture builds there.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Unless you're running a ton of SCB, the 7A should be more than enough on the conda especially after engineering.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

This is a good link for anaconda builds: https://eddp.co/u/Rm8Q53ck . You can also do vulture builds there.

Thanks for this

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The combat Anaconda builds I've seen are all using Lightweight Alloys for the hull. Wouldn't military composite or something like that be better?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Not really. Big 3 combat relies on shield tanking so armor is figuratively dead weight.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not really. Big 3 combat relies on shield tanking so armor is figuratively dead weight.

That build has six hull reinforcement packages, though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Gort posted:

:iiam:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Gort posted:

Hull reinforcements are usually better than changing the armor type if weight is a concern because they give a bonus to armor with a fixed weight, but changing the hull gets very heavy. However I guess if you're putting 6 of them on your ship weight isn't much of a thing either; it could be price. A single 5D hull reinforcement gives about the same armor as upgrading the hull itself for half the weight and MUCH cheaper. Less resistance i think, but then you can engineer them now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Plek posted:

Hull reinforcements are usually better than changing the armor type if weight is a concern because they give a bonus to armor with a fixed weight, but changing the hull gets very heavy. However I guess if you're putting 6 of them on your ship weight isn't much of a thing either; it could be price. A single 5D hull reinforcement gives about the same armor as upgrading the hull itself for half the weight and MUCH cheaper. Less resistance i think, but then you can engineer them now.

It does give the linked build 25% more integrity though, which I assume would help? If price and weight isn't an issue, I don't see why adding armor would be bad, but sure if it's for keeping price and weight low, hull reinforcement modules are better.

If you've a set amount of hull strength in mind though, I guess that could free up some 5 slots for other things. Which makes me wonder, what good are module reinforcement modules. Do they help at all against power plant snipes, for instance?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nice piece of fish posted:

It does give the linked build 25% more integrity though, which I assume would help? If price and weight isn't an issue, I don't see why adding armor would be bad, but sure if it's for keeping price and weight low, hull reinforcement modules are better.

If you've a set amount of hull strength in mind though, I guess that could free up some 5 slots for other things. Which makes me wonder, what good are module reinforcement modules. Do they help at all against power plant snipes, for instance?

MRPs make modules more resistant to damage and heat, yeah. I actually ended up swapping most of my HRPs for MRPs on my corvette because it allows me to run hotter without worrying about module damage. On that ship by the time I lose the shields it's bugout time anyways...

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Couple quick questions before the Steam sale ends:

1) I played quite a bit of Euro Truck Simulator 2 as a go-to podcast/LP/series binging game (got a second monitor). Would you guys say this is a good space version of the same experience? How avoidable is combat if I just want to fly around space and see pretty places?

2) How necessary is the expansion?

3) Comedy question: I have a Microsoft Sidewinder (usb) at my parents'; can I use it with this? (should I?)

Cheers.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

1) I played quite a bit of Euro Truck Simulator 2 as a go-to podcast/LP/series binging game (got a second monitor). Would you guys say this is a good space version of the same experience? How avoidable is combat if I just want to fly around space and see pretty places?

2) How necessary is the expansion?

3) Comedy question: I have a Microsoft Sidewinder (usb) at my parents'; can I use it with this? (should I?)

Cheers.

1) It can be played entirely as a space truck sim and in fact a sizable portion of the game population play it exactly that way. Space trucking is a core activity and smuggling exists as a riskier higher stakes version. Space trucking and smuggling are also helpful activities in faction and powerplay objectives, which are sort of like a big weird games of Risk where you only indirectly control your side.

2) There is enough content gated behind it at this point I would say it's almost mandatory but the game is playable without it and many of the things in it are not really something a newbie will be doing right away.

3) Almost everything seems to work if your operating system recognizes it. Some people play with bizarre setups. I got a steel battalion controller working before though it was poo poo because of the joystick setup.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Space Skeleton posted:

2) There is enough content gated behind it at this point I would say it's almost mandatory but the game is playable without it and many of the things in it are not really something a newbie will be doing right away.

Mmm, shite. Due to region pricing shenanigans the base game is cheap enough to fall into my impulse buy category, but tossing Horizons in there triples the price. I could still get the base game to see if I like it and get the expansion down the line, but... ergh.

Thanks for the heads up.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mmm, shite. Due to region pricing shenanigans the base game is cheap enough to fall into my impulse buy category, but tossing Horizons in there triples the price. I could still get the base game to see if I like it and get the expansion down the line, but... ergh.

Thanks for the heads up.

If it helps, most of the stuff gated behind it are combat oriented. You will miss out on hauling/smuggling to/from ground ports but not much else as a space trucker.

Eventually you will want to engineer your ship though, which is tweaking the values on various parts such as the FTL to allow you to jump longer distances, which is a must for a trucker.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Still a newb here, bought an Eagle and upgraded some of the systems and now I can go bounty hunting!

Some of the missions I'm taking on are like, "find four pirates in such and such system." When I scan the nav beacon, it says it can't tell me where they are. What's the best method of finding them in a big system? Seems like it would take forever just flying around scanning every ship I see.

Also, what weapon is the preferred weapon of combat? I think I have three beam lasers but they overheat real quick when I'm using them all at once.

edit: how are people making millions only nine hours in? I'm maybe double that and most of my missions are 80k if I'm lucky.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 2, 2018

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Edmond Dantes posted:

Combat is avoidable, however you must factor in risks like interdictions and jump maneuvers like stopping while jumping, refueling at the star and then jumping again.

There are not many long haul missions, not since the time when bases near nebulas would pay you millions to haul literal poo poo across vast distances, however there are passenger missions and some of them will tell you to go to places with point of interests (but some VIP passengers will are either wanted, don't want to get scanned or will just give you hell with idiotic requests).

Horizons expands more the game for actively engaging the gameplay and some features are locked behind it (engineering).

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

CornHolio posted:

Still a newb here, bought an Eagle and upgraded some of the systems and now I can go bounty hunting!

Some of the missions I'm taking on are like, "find four pirates in such and such system." When I scan the nav beacon, it says it can't tell me where they are. What's the best method of finding them in a big system? Seems like it would take forever just flying around scanning every ship I see.

Just hang out in the nav-beacon area, and ships will drop in over time. You can scan them to see if they're of the faction that you are ordered to kill. Alternatively, you can go to Resource Extraction Sites (RES), which are on the rings of some ringed planets.

CornHolio posted:

Also, what weapon is the preferred weapon of combat? I think I have three beam lasers but they overheat real quick when I'm using them all at once.

Beam lasers are good at taking out shields. Kinetic and explosives are good at taking out hull (multi cannons, missiles, etc).

CornHolio posted:

edit: how are people making millions only nine hours in? I'm maybe double that and most of my missions are 80k if I'm lucky.

Exploration is a good way to earn credits very quickly early on. You can use the Road to Riches tool to find the right planets. You will need a Detailed Surface Scanner, and preferably an A-Grade Discovery Scanner. I never used the Eagle, but I doubt it can fit all of those. Your best bet would be to save up for an early hauler-class ship that can fit those with decent jump distance, via bounty hunting.

Here's the link to the Road to Riches tool: http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You could fit a class 2 and 3 economy cabin in your Eagle and run six passengers Parutis->Medb (15ly jump) if you don’t mind board flipping waiting for only 6 bodies to fly, should net you at least a couple mil per trip (note it’s like a 40 minute straight-line flight so pack a book)

Edit: actually probably 1x class2 cargo rack and 1x class3 economy passenger cabin (4 passengers) as most missions have reward requirements you need to be able to claim.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 2, 2018

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I guess more and more people are finding out about the Parutis <-> Medb passenger run (thx for. I've racked up a few "reckless flying" fines due to people hauling rear end into the mail slot or just straight ramming everyone out of the way. And since my Anaconda takes up the whole mail slot, I can't avoid these people. :(

---

Speaking of, I'm really regretting the purchase of the Anaconda. I was hoping to use it as a general purpose murder ship/cargo and passenger hauler. I know that huge ship = slow. But, after flying the Python for so long and getting used to how slow it flies and turns, I didn't expect such an insane downgrade in maneuvering! I would never choose to fly it in combat. It'll get eaten alive by anything fast enough to beat a minivan in a race.

My AspEx is my mining and exploration ship, I've been using my Python for combat and space trucking. Not sure what other uses there are for an Anaconda. Unless engineering turns the Anaconda into a beast? I've been grinding Fed rank, so I'm curious if the Corvette will be just as slow.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
G5 Dirty Drives on the Conda turns it into a hilariously agile fucker for its size.

If you liked the python's feel then it's well worth grinding up the upgrade.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dolemite posted:

I guess more and more people are finding out about the Parutis <-> Medb passenger run (thx for. I've racked up a few "reckless flying" fines due to people hauling rear end into the mail slot or just straight ramming everyone out of the way. And since my Anaconda takes up the whole mail slot, I can't avoid these people. :(

---

Speaking of, I'm really regretting the purchase of the Anaconda. I was hoping to use it as a general purpose murder ship/cargo and passenger hauler. I know that huge ship = slow. But, after flying the Python for so long and getting used to how slow it flies and turns, I didn't expect such an insane downgrade in maneuvering! I would never choose to fly it in combat. It'll get eaten alive by anything fast enough to beat a minivan in a race.

My AspEx is my mining and exploration ship, I've been using my Python for combat and space trucking. Not sure what other uses there are for an Anaconda. Unless engineering turns the Anaconda into a beast? I've been grinding Fed rank, so I'm curious if the Corvette will be just as slow.

Why wouldn't everyone do the passenger run in solo? I certainly don't want to get griefed by some jerks while I'm hauling 100 million worth of passengers. Also, less people to clog your mail slot.
I just bought my Anaconda and so far I like it.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Dolemite posted:

The Anaconda is quite maneuverable for its size, certainly better than the other whaleships. You just have to get really good at modulating your use of Flight Assist, and remembering your ABCs: Always Be CBoosting. With boost and FA-Off you can flip that fucker over in a hurry, no problem. Vipers, Eagles, and Fighters are somewhat annoying to fight, but once you know what they're trying to do, you can anticipate it and maneuver in such a way that they'll come under your guns easily.

And of course, putting DD5s on it just makes it even more agile.

But here's the thing: You don't need a big giant ship for combat. I have a half-billion credit combat anaconda, and I much prefer flying my 10 million credit Vulture. I kill things faster in the Vulture than I do with the Conda, despite the conda having a lot more firepower. It's also drastically cheaper to operate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Rynoto posted:

G5 Dirty Drives on the Conda turns it into a hilariously agile fucker for its size.

If you liked the python's feel then it's well worth grinding up the upgrade.

Yeah, ships really are utterly night-and-day between engineered ones and non-engineered ones. In an otherwise even fight the guy with the grade 5 modifications will have a ship with twice the agility, damage output and ability to absorb damage, which also has insane quality of life stuff like twice the jump range.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

AspX is the best ship. I'll fight you if you disagree.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

Ok.

Name a time and place.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok.

Name a time and place.

Can I show up and roflstomp your corvette in my Vulture?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ratjaculation posted:

DBX. Fite me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Can I show up and roflstomp your corvette in my Vulture?

nah

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

iospace posted:

DBX. Fite me.

That feel when you get out of your DBX and plot a course in a ship that doesn’t have seven-league spaceboots

HOW many jumps!?

Edit: if I weren’t wedded to sticking to Sundiver for my cool-running DBX (now up to III) I’d note that Seven-League Spaceboot exactly fits the 22char limit for names :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 2, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That feel when you get out of your DBX and plot a course in a ship that doesn’t have seven-league spaceboots

HOW many jumps!?

Mine has a 51+ LY jump range without injections, and it's going to be royal rear end when I decide to change ships.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Dolemite posted:

It'll get eaten alive by anything fast enough to beat a minivan in a race.

Turrets and a fighter bay will fix that.

Dolemite posted:

My AspEx is my mining and exploration ship, I've been using my Python for combat and space trucking. Not sure what other uses there are for an Anaconda. Unless engineering turns the Anaconda into a beast?

It does. Engineered shield generator and 6 engineered shield boosters allows you to tank for days.

Dolemite posted:

I've been grinding Fed rank, so I'm curious if the Corvette will be just as slow.

I think the corvette is marginally more maneuverable, but just slightly. It really doesn't matter as much as you think, though. Big ships are an "I win" button for normal pve. PvP and cop brawls are another story, but they afford you the time to escape if need be.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Turrets aren't necessary for a whaleship. Gimbals will work just fine. Fixed works even better, but it's a challenge to use and unless you're supremely confident in your skills, not worth it. If you can't hit with fixed weapons, and can't or won't improve, stick with gimballed.

Definitely fit a fighterbay, a fixed plasma repeater fighter + master or better NPC pilot is effectively another C4 weapon.

Whaleships aren't a definite I-Win button, but they *are* a can't-lose button. Actually killing a whaleship when it doesn't want to die is basically impossible, since the game heavily favors the defender. Just high-wake to another star if poo poo isn't looking good. That being said, if you're fighting something you can't get a bead on, for whatever reasons, it's basically a stalemate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As I understand it a turreted corvette or anaconda is for entering a combat zone, going to get a snack, and coming back to a few million in bounties.

• Locked thread