Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have a co-worker in Texas who had to use a hair dryer on her frozen pipes.

I do wonder if this cold snap will lower our overall temp averages enough to make a statistical difference.

No.

BigglesSWE posted:

The sooner we drop the phrase "global warming" and universally replace it with "global climate change", the better. If only because we get rid of those asinine strawmen arguments from idiots.

Doesn't matter, they've already co-op'd that phrase as well. See Florida governor Voldemort making the phrase climate change illegal. They've already framed the entire debate the way they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BigglesSWE posted:

The sooner we drop the phrase "global warming" and universally replace it with "global climate change", the better. If only because we get rid of those asinine strawmen arguments from idiots.

Everyone but the climate change deniers did this already years ago. Now it only comes up for their sick burns in the winter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/hiltzikm/status/948254917340172293

A good reminder to everyone

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Doesn't matter, they've already co-op'd that phrase as well. See Florida governor Voldemort making the phrase climate change illegal. They've already framed the entire debate the way they want.

They also just go "Well ok Climate Change is happening but it's not the fault of Humans and we are incapable of affecting the climate", because all the mountains of evidence are fake news or whatever.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's going to be a long mother loving year

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bill Shuster (PA-09) announced his retirement. His district has a PVI of R+19 and is 97% white though, so that seat is a reach unless we have a truly epic wave.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Good luck with that. The right still attacks 'political correctness' even though no one has even talked about that since the 90s. They found a term to attack they're never going to let it go.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It was 65 yesterday in the North Bay, just above the Golden Gate. I wore a t-shirt.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Orrin Hatch is retiring, paving the way for Senator Romney.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's currently 975 degrees here, in this thread, right now, because we're in hell

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Teddybear posted:

Orrin Hatch is retiring, paving the way for Senator Romney.

I think I am fine with that. A Dem Senator in Utah is impossible, and Romney would be a mild improvement over Hatch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bottom Liner posted:

No.

that's not what coopting means

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like on paper Senator Romney is a relatively good thing but I have zero faith that Romney won't just vote lock step and defend Trump at every turn once he's actually got skin in the game again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rigel posted:

Bill Shuster (PA-09) announced his retirement. His district has a PVI of R+19 and is 97% white though, so that seat is a reach unless we have a truly epic wave.

The number of retirements between now and say March 1st are going to be telling to see how big the Democrats are going to win. A guy in a district like that should feel safe but the numbers maybe awful for him.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Wasn't that the Beechcraft Bonanza?

Yes, the "doctor killer." I've been waiting for the Cirrus SR-22 to take the slot over but the drat thing has a parachute. So many rich assholes spared.

But I fly planes for a living and the way the thread has been going lately, that apparently makes me guillotine-worthy. Maybe I should buy a mansion.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

Don't lose hope, there might be a pedophile with ambitions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

Like on paper Senator Romney is a relatively good thing but I have zero faith that Romney won't just vote lock step and defend Trump at every turn once he's actually got skin in the game again.

He doesn't have to defend Trump to keep his seat, so we'll see.

I think Romney wants...well, a Mitt Romney type, to be president. I think he legitimately hates Trump.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

STAC Goat posted:

Oh yeah, Romney is going to be on his knees within seconds of being voted in. Every Republican is scum, if the tax bill voting didn't already prove this

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ague Proof posted:

Don't lose hope, there might be a pedophile with ambitions.

White people voted for that pedophile 70-30

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mystic Mongol posted:

but he passed a lie detector test!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theflyingorc posted:

I think Romney wants...well, a Mitt Romney type, to be president. I think he legitimately hates Trump.

He was more than willing to kiss the ring for a potential SoS position.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's not what coopting means

co-opt
kōˈäpt/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: co-opting
appoint to membership of a committee or other body by invitation of the existing members.
divert to or use in a role different from the usual or original one.
"social scientists were co-opted to work with the development agencies"
adopt (an idea or policy) for one's own use

:rolleyes:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

Susan Collins, Murkowski, Heller, etc. didn't need to defend Trump to keep their seats. Actually, doing so may hurt all of them electorally. But they've done it anyhow, aside from one time when it would've been utter suicide not to break with him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RandomBlue posted:

Everyone but the climate change deniers did this already years ago. Now it only comes up for their sick burns in the winter.

To be fair, uninformed idiots who accidentally find themselves on the correct side of reality make the same mistakes. Leonardo DiCaprio freaked out upon experiencing a Chinook in Alberta. He's correct that climate change is a problem, but Chinooks are not evidence thereof, any more than the fact that it's very cold elsewhere means that climate change is a hoax

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He was more than willing to kiss the ring for a potential SoS position.

Yeah, but Trump doesn't have anything to offer him now, because Romney (probably) knows that anything Trump offers is a lie.

Don't get me wrong, he won't be good, but he might badmouth Trump sometimes. Maybe.

Aves Maria! posted:

Susan Collins, Murkowski, Heller, etc. didn't need to defend Trump to keep their seats. Actually, doing so may hurt all of them electorally. But they've done it anyhow, aside from one time when it would've been utter suicide not to break with him.

...voting for the Tax bill has basically nothing to do with Trump support. It has to do with being a Republican. Obviously Romney would vote for the tax bill.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a believer in the Blue Wave there's no way an R +19 district is vulnerable unless the guy is a pedophile.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mystic Mongol posted:

Only because like 75% of them were Evangelicals, non-evangelicals swung 30-70 iirc

That's still 30 more percentage points than the guy deserved, but there you go

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a believer in the Blue Wave there's no way an R +19 district is vulnerable unless the guy is a pedophile.

At this point it's time to find out that a Republican candidate is two dwarf pedophiles on each other's shoulders in a trenchcoat

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Democrats can win a Utah seat if they run Thomas Monson.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL if you think Mittens won't bend the knee and eat the crumbs(of a chocolate delight*) off the floor.

*Mittens never saw a donut before 2012.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, but Trump doesn't have anything to offer him now, because Romney (probably) knows that anything Trump offers is a lie.

Don't get me wrong, he won't be good, but he might badmouth Trump sometimes. Maybe.

...voting for the Tax bill has basically nothing to do with Trump support. It has to do with being a Republican. Obviously Romney would vote for the tax bill.

Voting for all of his agenda otherwise does, though. There is functionally no difference between a moderate Republican and an ultra-conservative Republican when it comes to voting with Trump and supporting whatever he does.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought it was the locals refused to let the FBI in

The FBI said that for the time being they didn't consider it related to the federal case

So I guess we can interpret it however we like

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Badmouthing Trump means nothing if words do not translate to action. R-Money is not someone I think will be doing anything of the sort.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Schuster even retiring is weird as hell because the only dirt on him is from 2 (3?) years ago when it was found he was literally in bed with an airline lobbyist.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I think rich/famous pilots are particularly dangerous for themselves and their passengers, unfortunately.

This is an incredible fusion of post content and poster avatar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ague Proof posted:

Democrats can win a Utah seat if they run Thomas Monson.

Utah bewilders me. It's so loving crazy that we have an entire state literally run as a theocracy and no one seems to mind.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

Voting for all of his agenda otherwise does, though. There is functionally no difference between a moderate Republican and an ultra-conservative Republican when it comes to voting with Trump and supporting whatever he does.

Not that I don't despise Republicans, but there haven't exactly been a ton of successful bills supporting Trump's agenda

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not that I don't despise Republicans, but there haven't exactly been a ton of successful bills supporting Trump's agenda

Voting for completely unqualified nominees would count towards that, too, I'd think.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aves Maria! posted:

Voting for all of his agenda otherwise does, though. There is functionally no difference between a moderate Republican and a ultra-conservative Republican when it comes to voting with Trump and supporting whatever he does.

The things that are happening legislatively are Republican things much more than they're Trump things IMO.

Most of what he's done that requires legislative approval wouldn't be radically different under a different Republican president, and the Repubs have actually rejected a few of his more terrible nominations. I feel like we're disagreeing about terminology more than anything at this point.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

The things that are happening legislatively are Republican things much more than they're Trump things IMO.

Most of what he's done that requires legislative approval wouldn't be radically different under a different Republican president, and the Repubs have actually rejected a few of his more terrible nominations. I feel like we're disagreeing about terminology more than anything at this point.

Maybe so. But like I said, there's no reason to be heartened by any Republican being voted into office, no matter how moderate they present themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helen Highwater posted:

This is an incredible fusion of post content and poster avatar.

I suppose it is! It's not 100%, obviously. Dickinson holds an ATPL, as well as being rich and famous, which puts him well ahead of most rich/celebrity pilots who may not have flown with a professional pilot of any sort in years.

• Locked thread