Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Samovar posted:

I can imagine a whole bunch of reasons why, but what was the purpose of it? And why France?

gee, what could human traffickers want with a group of young boys. And why pick a European country with incredibly porous borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Holy moly, that is terrifying! I'm so happy that these boys were saved but that is still a whole bunch of trauma and trust issues. :(

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They only found three of the kids, and almost two years later? Holy poo poo! That's 22 kids that have disappeared into the ether. Their families paid a drat fortune to ship their kids to a relative paradise and they lost them without a wink. Have they been trying to find these kids, or was the "camp" a permanent thing? This story seems odd, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that children were shipped off with no one looking for them for this long.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samovar posted:

I can imagine a whole bunch of reasons why, but what was the purpose of it?

Sexual slavery most likely.

Samovar posted:

And why France?
Have you not seen the documentary Taken?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

They only found three of the kids, and almost two years later? Holy poo poo! That's 22 kids that have disappeared into the ether. Their families paid a drat fortune to ship their kids to a relative paradise and they lost them without a wink. Have they been trying to find these kids, or was the "camp" a permanent thing? This story seems odd, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that children were shipped off with no one looking for them for this long.

Maybe it's not as nefarious as we think and the kids are on a private island somewhere learning how to become the absolute best rugby team the world will ever see.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

gee, what could human traffickers want with a group of young boys. And why pick a European country with incredibly porous borders.

Well, I'd have thought it would have been easier to get them to the U.K., if I'm being cynical.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I don't think I've ever posted this, but I came home from work one night waaaay back in 1992 and couldn't get to my street as it was completely cordoned off. A house was still smoking from a fire, and I immediately saw it was my friend Sarah's house, who I'd known since 8th grade. We had graduated high school in '89 and slowly drifted apart, but I knew that she'd had a baby not too long and that her parents were helping her out.

I got home and walked down the street to see what had happened - her car was in the driveway, but I didn't see her or her parents or brother there, and none of the other neighbors had seen them, either. After talking with the neighbors a bit I walked home and figured they'd been taken to the hospital or something.

Then the news started coming in, but i'll let you guys read the rest (the articles below were written as everything was coming to a close).

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Man-who-killed-5-in-family-faces-execution-2073269.php

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/coulson783.htm

Fun fact: I was in marching band and jazz ensemble with the accomplice for 2 years :stare:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a mysterious cloak posted:

I don't think I've ever posted this, but I came home from work one night waaaay back in 1992 and couldn't get to my street as it was completely cordoned off. A house was still smoking from a fire, and I immediately saw it was my friend Sarah's house, who I'd known since 8th grade. We had graduated high school in '89 and slowly drifted apart, but I knew that she'd had a baby not too long and that her parents were helping her out.

I got home and walked down the street to see what had happened - her car was in the driveway, but I didn't see her or her parents or brother there, and none of the other neighbors had seen them, either. After talking with the neighbors a bit I walked home and figured they'd been taken to the hospital or something.

Then the news started coming in, but i'll let you guys read the rest (the articles below were written as everything was coming to a close).

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Man-who-killed-5-in-family-faces-execution-2073269.php

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/coulson783.htm

Fun fact: I was in marching band and jazz ensemble with the accomplice for 2 years :stare:

Holy poo poo, this fucker.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I don't think I've ever posted this, but...

Holy gently caress. What absolute loving monsters. It's hard to come by something so cold not perpetuated by someone infamous on a broader scale.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
sometimes just reading wikipedia is creepy af

quote:

In the early morning hours of May 27, Dahmer returned toward his apartment to discover Sinthasomphone sitting naked on the corner of 25th and State, talking in Laotian, with three hysterical young women standing near him.[133] Dahmer approached the trio and explained to the women that Sinthasomphone (whom he referred to by an alias) was his lover, and attempted to lead him to his apartment by the arm. The three women dissuaded Dahmer, explaining they had phoned 911.[134] Upon the arrival of two officers named John Balcerzak and Joseph Gabrish, Dahmer's demeanor relaxed: he informed the officers that Sinthasomphone was his 19-year-old boyfriend, that he had drunk too much following a quarrel,[135] and that he frequently behaved in this manner when intoxicated. The three women were exasperated and when one of the trio attempted to indicate to one of the officers that Sinthasomphone was bleeding from his buttocks and that he had seemingly struggled against Dahmer's attempts to walk him to his apartment, the officer harshly informed her to "butt out,"[136] "shut the hell up"[137] and to not interfere, adding the incident was "domestic."[138]

Against the protests of the three women, the officers simply covered Sinthasomphone with a towel and walked him to Dahmer's apartment where, in an effort to verify his claim that he and Sinthasomphone were lovers, Dahmer showed the officers the two semi-nude Polaroid pictures he had taken of the youth the previous evening. The officers later reported having noted a strange scent reminiscent of excrement inside the apartment (this odor emanated from the decomposing body of Hughes).[139] Dahmer stated that to investigate this, one officer simply "peeked his head around the bedroom but really didn't take a good look." The officers then left, with a departing remark that Dahmer "take good care" of Sinthasomphone.[137][140] Had they conducted a background check upon Dahmer, it would have revealed that he was a convicted child molester under probation.[141] Upon the departure of the two police officers from his apartment, Dahmer again injected hydrochloric acid into Sinthasomphone's brain; on this second occasion, the injection proved fatal. The following day, May 28, Dahmer took a day's leave from work to devote himself to the dismemberment of the bodies of Sinthasomphone and Hughes, whose decomposing body had been lying in his bedroom as police brought Sinthasomphone back to his apartment. He retained both victims' skulls.[142]

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

maskenfreiheit posted:

sometimes just reading wikipedia is creepy af
The chaser to this is when you find out Officer Balcerzak has his own wiki page:

quote:

Balcerzak's and Gabrish's positions and roles within the Milwaukee Police Department were terminated[2] after their actions were widely publicized, including an audiotape of the officers making homophobic statements to their dispatcher and cracking jokes about having reunited the "lovers". The officers had never checked the boy's ID or verified his identity. The officers did not check Dahmer's identification; had they done so, they would have discovered that Dahmer was a sex offender previously convicted for molesting Sinthasomphone's older brother.[3] The city of Milwaukee later paid the boy's family a sum of $850,000 to settle a lawsuit over the policemen's handling of the situation.[4]

Both officers later appealed their termination. Judge Robert J. Parins decided the case and ruled in favor of the officers, allowing them to be reinstated.[5]

In May 2005, Balcerzak was elected president of the Milwaukee Police Association, defeating Sebastian Raclaw by a vote of 521 to 453.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe it's not as nefarious as we think and the kids are on a private island somewhere learning how to become the absolute best rugby team the world will ever see.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure actually the kids are sexual slaves getting raped for money exchanges but it's possible

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hmm. I'm pretty sure actually the kids are sexual slaves getting raped for money exchanges but it's possible

Either that or their remains are buried after removal of all their donatable organs. :smith:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Ya'll fuckers making sugar plantation slavery sound downright pleasant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Either that or their remains are buried after removal of all their donatable organs. :smith:

Well at least they're donating them and not selling them.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Apraxin posted:

The chaser to this is when you find out Officer Balcerzak has his own wiki page:

Some of the most unnerving poo poo to me is how America adores incompetent, rear end in a top hat cops. An officer here in Baltimore got murdered with his own gun the day before testifying against the dirty cops on his former task force while his partner was on camera hiding across the street. The FBI didn't deem it worthy of investigating because it apparently wasn't suspicious enough.

Here's an article about two men who were sent to jail through the actions of said dirty cops, who recently had their convictions vacated.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The not so much as unnerving as frustrating thing about America is, they are enamored of the status quo. They don't really want to win the "war on drugs." They really don't care all that much about police corruption. They don't really want to crush the mob. They want things to pretty much stay the same as they always were.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

The not so much as unnerving as frustrating thing about America is, they are enamored of the status quo. They don't really want to win the "war on drugs." They really don't care all that much about police corruption. They don't really want to crush the mob. They want things to pretty much stay the same as they always were.

It's not just that, they want to turn everything up more notches. It's the joke from Daria where Daria takes a job aptitude test and she's listed as a gravedigger, and her mom tells her she needs to show more initiative, and Daria says "So I should kill people to ramp up business" but for real

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Oooh I also went to school with a psychopathic murderer. Well... A pair of them, actually. Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in a very small town in the Carolina mountains with a population of *maybe* 5,000 people.

I was in 10th grade, and the girl was a senior. I had a class with the girl, Eva. She was dating a dude I didn't know well, named Jeremy, but he was at the school ALL THE TIME. He would.come to the class we had together and they would just be off in their own world.

There's a lot to tell, so I reckon maybe just giving the text of Eva's appeal from 2003 that has a summary in it will be best than me trying to recap on my own...

Keep in mind here that "defendant" is Eva.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nc-court-of-appeals/1482295.html posted:

Briefly summarized, the evidence at trial tended to show that Cynthia Barlowe was murdered in the garage of her home in Nebo, N.C., on 23 September 2000, by defendant's then-boyfriend, Jeremy Dunlap.

Dunlap, who was twenty years old at the time of the murder, testified to choking Mrs. Barlowe with his arm and then striking her in the head three times with a large metal flashlight.  

The evidence also showed that defendant, a seventeen-year-old high school senior at the time, was present at the house at the time of the murder and participated in cleaning up the garage, transporting her mother's body to a relatively secluded location near a lake where it was set on fire, and letting her mother's car roll off a nearby embankment.  

The evidence is in conflict as to whether defendant joined Dunlap in planning and committing the murder.

Testimony by both Dunlap and defendant, as well as others with whom Mrs. Barlowe and defendant spoke on the day of the murder, indicates that Mrs. Barlowe had discovered defendant and Dunlap together in defendant's bed the night before.   According to defendant, Mrs. Barlowe ordered Dunlap to leave and expressed anger and disappointment with defendant.   Defendant had also been found by her mother and father in bed with a different young man a few months earlier. Her father had been enraged and had struck the wall near defendant with a pool cue and dragged the young man around the room by his hair before he could leave the house. Mr. Barlowe had then punished defendant by refusing to speak with or show affection to her for several days.

The morning after Mrs. Barlowe found defendant and Dunlap in defendant's bed, defendant drove Mrs. Barlowe to a party in their neighborhood. Mrs. Barlowe told defendant they would talk about the previous night's incident when she returned and she would tell defendant's father about it when he came home from work that evening and that “her father would never look at [defendant] the same again․” After driving her mother to the party, defendant returned home.

According to defendant's statement to police, Dunlap called her house and told her to bring her mother home from the party or he would kill defendant.

She did so, and as they were entering the house through the garage, she heard her mother scream and turned to see Dunlap choking her. The defendant said she ran and hid and when she returned to the garage, Dunlap had cleaned the garage up with a hose.  

He then forced defendant to drive either his car or her mother's with her mother's body to the place where Dunlap attempted to burn the body.  

Dunlap then took her back home and watched as she got ready for work, then followed her to her father's business and then to work.  

She later provided additional information, indicating, inter alia, that (a) Dunlap had come to the residence for her mother's car, (b) Dunlap had wanted to talk to Mrs. Barlowe about marrying defendant, and (c) defendant had known Dunlap was going to hurt her mother, but not that he would kill her.  

In her written statement, defendant said:

Jeremy Dunlap did choke my mother.   I didn't call anyone in fear of the thought that I would be guilty of the murder of my mother.   I did not know that he was going to attack her.   I thought that he had left but he was inside of my garage and he snuck up behind her.   I tried to make him let her go.   But when he refused I ran away and came back upstairs to him cleaning up the blood at 2:00 pm. and he then grabbed me and forced me to help him.   And instead of calling anyone for help I pretended that nothing happened in fear of being found guilty for my mother's death.   I am willing to testify against Jeremy Dunlap.

Defendant testified at trial that Dunlap was waiting for her outside her house when she returned from taking her mother to the party. She stated that they discussed the need to talk with Mrs. Barlowe to “straighten things out.” To that end, she drove to the party and told her mother in private that Dunlap was at their house and wanted to talk to her. She stated that her mother then told friends that their dog was sick and she had to leave.

They drove back to the house and were entering the house through the garage when her mother and Dunlap began arguing behind her. She continued into the house, but then heard her mother scream and turned to see Dunlap choking her mother. She then ran to her room and hid under a blanket.  

She returned to the garage after an indeterminate period and saw blood everywhere, her mother on the floor, and Dunlap standing over her mother with a flashlight. Dunlap then told her to help him clean up and she did. She also followed his directions in disposing of the body and car. She drove her mother's car with the body in it for a while, but then did not want to be in that car anymore and pulled over and they switched cars. Defendant also testified that Dunlap did everything regarding setting fire to her mother's body and rolling her mother's car off a cliff.

In contrast, Dunlap testified at trial that killing Mrs. Barlowe had been defendant's idea, though they worked out the plan together and he carried out the murder himself. He testified that defendant went between the house and garage several times while he choked her mother, asking each time she came back out whether “it was done yet.” He also stated that after Mrs. Barlowe was on the floor and had at least lost consciousness, he let go of her and defendant asked him, “Are you sure she's dead?” When he responded that he did not know, defendant then went into the house and came back with a heavy flashlight, handed it to him, and said, “Hit her.” According to Dunlap, defendant was present in the garage when Dunlap struck Mrs. Barlowe. They then cleaned the garage together, with defendant bringing out towels and the plastic bags that were put over her mother's head and body and hosing off the garage floor herself.

The State also presented testimony by SBI Agent Mike Garrett with respect to his analysis of bloodstains in the Barlowe's garage and on clothing defendant had said she was wearing during the events surrounding her mother's murder.   Specifically, Agent Garrett testified to the difference between “transfer” and “spatter” bloodstains, the latter being created when blood is impacted and sprays out from the point of impact.   He testified that multiple small stains on the knee and back of the pants which defendant was wearing at the time of the murder tested positive for blood and appeared to be spatter stains.   He further testified that they were not consistent with stains that would be created by drops of blood that fell or dripped from above.

As for who thought up the ~mastermind~ plan, I frankly believe it was Eva all the way, and that Jeremy took the fall for it.

Which loving sucks, since Jeremy will die in prison, while Eva walks free in just a few days.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Jan 1, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Droogie posted:

Holy gently caress. What absolute loving monsters. It's hard to come by something so cold not perpetuated by someone infamous on a broader scale.

Yeah, I had met the guy a few times over the years and I would never have even imagined this would happen. He just seemed like a regular guy. He had a brown Datsun 280Z that he really took good care of.

His dad was very cool, he'd had polio as a kid so he had trouble walking, but he still walked their dog a few times a week and always said hi. Super nice guy.

The whole thing was just crazy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

Oooh I also went to school with a psychopathic murderer. Well... A pair of them, actually. Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in a very small town in the Carolina mountains with a population of *maybe* 5,000 people.

I was in 10th grade, and the girl was a senior. I had a class with the girl, Eva. She was dating a dude I didn't know well, named Jeremy, but he was at the school ALL THE TIME. He would.come to the class we had together and they would just be off in their own world.

There's a lot to tell, so I reckon maybe just giving the text of Eva's appeal from 2003 that has a summary in it will be best than me trying to recap on my own...

Keep in mind here that "defendant" is Eva.

As for who thought up the ~mastermind~ plan, I frankly believe it was Eva all the way, and that Jeremy took the fall for it.

Which loving sucks, since Jeremy will die in prison, while Eva walks free in just a few days.

If that's true, she probably can't control her urges for long. Like OJ she'll be back in the clink eventually.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

maskenfreiheit posted:

If that's true, she probably can't control her urges for long. Like OJ she'll be back in the clink eventually.

Eh, Anne Perry and Pauline Parker killed Pauline's mother as teens and both have led entirely respectable lives in the 59 years since their release from prison, Perry as a famous and prolific crime novelist and Parker as a charity worker.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Yeah, I had met the guy a few times over the years and I would never have even imagined this would happen.

I always think this is hilarious when people say this. Like everyone thinks Bad Guys look like a man in a black trenchcoat and hat.

The majority of people who commit crimes this heinous are usually pretty good at playing normal. Hell, they ARE normal. It's not the clearly weird people you should worry about, it's the folks who are so mundane they could be your neighbors or friends. Those are where you find your serial killers, your crimes of passion, your plots to gain inheritance.

Happy New Year.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm a fat weird nerd from a family with mental health issues (and probably high-functioning autism, although my brother's the only one diagnosed with aspergers), so I got to hear poo poo about how people think I'm some kind of serial killer or pedophile all the goddamned time, even from close friends.

I don't go out in public that much anymore.

guess that's my unnerving story thanks for listening and happy new year :v:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I always think this is hilarious when people say this. Like everyone thinks Bad Guys look like a man in a black trenchcoat and hat.

My son and I had this conversation once. He said if he was ever going to commit a burglary, he was going to dress up in the old school outfit that everybody used to draw burglars: black knit cap, black eye mask, black and white striped shirt, and carry a bag with a dollar sign painted on it.

He said the best part would be people's description/composite sketch of the suspect.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MightyJoe36 posted:

My son and I had this conversation once. He said if he was ever going to commit a burglary, he was going to dress up in the old school outfit that everybody used to draw burglars: black knit cap, black eye mask, black and white striped shirt, and carry a bag with a dollar sign painted on it.

He said the best part would be people's description/composite sketch of the suspect.

This is hilarious, I love it.

But yeah, a lot of people like to think they'd 'sense' it or have some sort of intuition that someone's a killer. It's a way to convince ourselves we'd never fall prey to something like that, just OTHER people. But not ME, I have carefully vetted all the people around me!

It is a lie. You most likely would not know. Most people wouldn't. There's a lot you don't know about your neighbors, and a lot of assumptions made about the people we live around that are just plain dumb or wrong.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

MightyJoe36 posted:

loving amazing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MightyJoe36 posted:

You're raising a goddamn genius. Good on ya. While he's living it up in the Caymans, some poor mook in a Hamburglar costume at a McDonalds opening rots in jail for life.

Somewhere between unnerving and schadenfreude: the hotel I used to work at had a dead woman turn up in one of their rooms, allegedly murdered by a homeless man. That's unnerving. The schadenfreude comes entirely from the fact that holy lol my successor there and former boss are in no way competent to handle this. Have fun being the Murder Hotel for the next few years, idiots.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You're raising a goddamn genius. Good on ya. While he's living it up in the Caymans, some poor mook in a Hamburglar costume at a McDonalds opening rots in jail for life.

Somewhere between unnerving and schadenfreude: the hotel I used to work at had a dead woman turn up in one of their rooms, allegedly murdered by a homeless man. That's unnerving. The schadenfreude comes entirely from the fact that holy lol my successor there and former boss are in no way competent to handle this. Have fun being the Murder Hotel for the next few years, idiots.
Yeah but in a decade they get to spin it into a ghost story.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PetraCore posted:

Yeah but in a decade they get to spin it into a ghost story.

the dude who hung himself in the early 90s doesn't even have that yet

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the dude who hung himself in the early 90s doesn't even have that yet

If you're in a hotel and the closet doorknob starts rattling, you're being haunted by the ghost of David Carradine

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If you're in a hotel and the closet doorknob starts rattling, you're being haunted by the ghost of David Carradine

I hear he'll asphyxiate you in your sleep if you don't strip naked, turn out the lights and chant "breathe deep, boner ghost" into the mirror three times

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Now that the Carolinas has come up and ID just had a People Magazine special on about him, has anyone posted developments that came up in the Todd Kohlepp case past the stuff from the first few months after his arrest? Like how he was the guy that did the Superbike murders and stuff?

Apparently he graduated from the same University as me, only he finished up a year before I started going there. Also, I know this is actually even worse that "a friend of a friend," but the wife of a former friend of a good friend of mine (yeah, I know) was sleeping with Kohlepp.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is hilarious, I love it.

But yeah, a lot of people like to think they'd 'sense' it or have some sort of intuition that someone's a killer. It's a way to convince ourselves we'd never fall prey to something like that, just OTHER people. But not ME, I have carefully vetted all the people around me!

It is a lie. You most likely would not know. Most people wouldn't. There's a lot you don't know about your neighbors, and a lot of assumptions made about the people we live around that are just plain dumb or wrong.

Hey, this thread could have its own soundtrack. Okkervil River's "Westfall," very loosely based on the Austin yogurt shop murders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq5drkKBz3k

quote:

Now, with all these cameras focused on my face
You would think that they could see it through my skin
They're looking for evil, thinking they can trace it, but
Evil don't look like anything

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://m.chicagoreader.com/chicago/they-came-in-through-the-bathroom-mirror/Content?oid=871084

Well, that’s a terrifying mental image.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone here give me the lowdown on Heaven's Gate? I can't think of where else to ask, or where I could get better sources.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Leavemywife posted:

Can someone here give me the lowdown on Heaven's Gate? I can't think of where else to ask, or where I could get better sources.

There's a dope podcast on this subject here.

The host is a former cult member (or was born into it, and obviously not heavens gate), so that adds an interesting perspective!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MightyJoe36 posted:

Trigger Happy TV has you covered from years ago

https://youtu.be/waWugm79mQo

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

The towers are gone now, FWIW. I have mixed feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I've read that before but I don't remember, does I go into how that story inspired Candyman? In the movie they even reference Ruthie-May but change her name to Ruthie-Jean.