Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

I wonder what America's foremost water sommelier thinks about the raw water movement?

https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/4/7/8360993/how-las-only-water-sommelier-is-changing-the-way-people-taste-h20

(for those of you who haven't seen this ridiculous article before)

I think this has been posted before too but $60k water bottle with 5mg of gold sprinkled on top:
http://klaw.com/the-worlds-most-expensive-water-bottle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That gives me an idea. It's like a guillotine but instead of a falling blade it has a slowly descending belt sander.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

VideoTapir posted:

That gives me an idea. It's like a guillotine but instead of a falling blade it has a slowly descending belt sander.

Much more electricity to run, but VASTLY higher suffering per second, so it works out GWM.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

readin a book on the siege of sarajevo, smuggling therein. seems interesting

How much did capital letters cost? I see you only smuggled one in for Casablanca.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

How much did capital letters cost? I see you only smuggled one in for Casablanca.

Grandpa?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Most of Eastern Europe has a chronic vowel shortage so they take what they can get.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

lol at demanding proper orthography on the internet in tyool 2018

e: gently caress 50 marks is about 25 bucks a kilo right

my safeway has ribeyes for 15 bucks a pound
i suppose they werent smuggling through ribeyes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 2, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

e: gently caress 50 marks is about 25 bucks a kilo right

my safeway has ribeyes for 15 bucks a pound
i suppose they werent smuggling through ribeyes

The siege started in 1992 and inflation is actually a thing.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

What was the name of the book?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My [27F] bf [26M] wants to quit his job to drive for Lyft

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7nkhyj/my_27f_bf_26m_wants_to_quit_his_job_to_drive_for/

quote:

My bf and I have been dating for a year, living together for 3 months. We live in a big city so rent is not cheap. I make almost double what my bf does so I end up covering more rent than him and covering all of the utilities. This is almost one full paycheck for me (I am paid every two weeks). I am very lucky to have had the privilege of getting a college degree and I have a fairly good job in my field. But because of the costs I’m covering each month which also include any entertainment costs, all meals out and groceries, and my student loans, I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

My bf does not have a college degree and has worked mostly retail jobs his adult life. Recently I got him a job at my company. While it’s low on the totem pole, he makes more money than he ever has and has the opportunity to move up in the company despite his lack of degree. He was told that if he continued at the company in his current position for a year, he could move into a better paying position in a department he expressed interest in when he was hired. We got into a big argument tonight because he wants to quit and drive for Lyft. He’s unhappy at his current job (which I get, I wouldn’t really want to do the job either) but I’m upset because if he sticks it out for a year he has a chance to build a career in a new field without a college degree which isn’t easy to do. There are a lot of people in my company who have come from his department that are now in great jobs because my company likes to do a lot of on the job training and promote within. I told him that Lyft is too unreliable and I’m upset because I’m already pulling so much financial weight and now he wants to quit to take a gamble of a job where we have no idea if he would even make enough for rent. There’s also no upward mobility with this and he’s back at square one. I just feel like he doesn’t understand that you have to put in the grunt work to get a good job. My current job didn’t just fall into my lap. I worked retail jobs to help pay for rent and college and worked jobs I hated outside of my field before I found this one.

Am I being unreasonable here? Am I being blinded by my cushy job to get where he’s coming from? I don’t want him to be unhappy which he is in his current position but I also feel like it’s way too much pressure to take on the financial burden if he quits this job; I’m already struggling as is. It’s also really hard to imagine a future with someone where I’m taking on most of the finances all the time. I want to have kids someday and we definitely couldn’t afford a kid with how things are currently going.

Edit: I also want to add that he does pull his weight in a lot of nonfinancial ways. He cooks probably 75% of our dinners, packs my lunch often, does a lot of cleaning, etc.

TL;DR Bf wants to quit job where he has a chance to move up for a job with unreliable income, putting more financial burden on me.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oh, the glory days of when we used to ban for this.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Millennials are inheriting the financial future that they deserve.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Millennials are inheriting the financial future that they deserve.

This is why people with college degrees marry other people with college degrees. It consolidates wealth and contributes to inequality but drat it prevents some arguments.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

This is why people with college degrees marry other people with college degrees. It consolidates wealth and contributes to inequality but drat it prevents some arguments.

Also nobody is knowingly putting a bunch of money on the divorce table if both people in a marriage have similar careers and earning prospects out of the gates

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Oh, the glory days of when we used to ban for this.

Make Something Awful Great Again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

The siege started in 1992 and inflation is actually a thing.

in 1992, the dm to usd ratio was about 1.52, so those 50 dm were about 33 1992 usd, or 15 usd per pound
usd prices are 74% higher now wrt 1992, so the equivalent would be $26 per pound
so it's not over but if you noticed i wasn't lolling at why it was over
i was lolling at it even being the same order of magnitude

ranbo das posted:

What was the name of the book?

blue hats and black markets: the business of survival in the siege of sarajevo

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I don't really care about proper grammar but that poo poo is just hard to read. Like purposefully bad.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

potatoducks posted:

I don't really care about proper grammar but that poo poo is just hard to read. Like purposefully bad.

(S)he is grieving over bob's death. Please have some dang sympathy.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

With the increasing gender gap in college, this is going to be the story more and more. Woman trying to whip leech boyfriend into shape. I pitty these women.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rick Rickshaw posted:

With the increasing gender gap in college, this is going to be the story more and more. Woman trying to whip leech boyfriend into shape. I pitty these women.

Being a guy is GWM. More pay and your shorter life span means you're more likely to spend that bigger paycheck while the getting's good. Your poor widow can develop a taste for cat food.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

I suppose that could be an option. He wants to do the Lyft car rental program though, because his current car is too old to be used for Lyft. So, if I’m understanding the car leasing thing correctly, if he commits to it he has to really commit to it.

From the comments. He seems like a really nice anchor.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A solution so easy, there's even an emoticon for it:

:sever:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Where would a prospective leech boyfriend go to meet a woman with a good job looking for a leech to support?

Asking for a friend.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Virtue posted:

Where would a prospective leech boyfriend go to meet a woman with a good job looking for a leech to support?

Asking for a friend.

Move to Seattle; successful women dating oily guys who smell like cat piss farther than the eye can see!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Medford, Oregon is full of women who are willing to support losers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That Reddit lady might be needing a new boyfriend pretty soon.

"Not working for Lyft" is like the lowest bar to entry you're ever going to find.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How much could a "Full-time" Lyft or Uber driver even make? I've never heard anything to suggest it should ever be more than something you do as a side hustle.

Fake almost edit: He's planning on doing some kind of rental thing for this? JFC how would you ever make money on that?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

wilderthanmild posted:

How much could a "Full-time" Lyft or Uber driver even make? I've never heard anything to suggest it should ever be more than something you do as a side hustle.

Fake almost edit: He's planning on doing some kind of rental thing for this? JFC how would you ever make money on that?

You wouldn't. Lyft and Uber are trying to slowly phase out human drivers for self-driving cars so rates are sinking like a rock.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wilderthanmild posted:

You make about minimum wage, assuming that you've got a cheap-to-operate car and are working in an area where you can keep pretty constant fares, which is most major cities. Figure about $6-10/hr after expenses.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I know of at least one person who is making some sort of living driving for Llyft and Uber, and I guess he had some sort of disability from being in a car wreck and needs the flexibility because a straight job would not be ok with him deciding at a moment's notice if he can work or not. He's also someone who always has some misfortune befalling him and is in an open marriage so he is just altogether a drama bomb. He always posts about how he is getting ahead and finally paying off some debt, but then within a week or two after posting that his car breaks down again or he gets in another wreck of had a bad day/week and misses out on some income.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Twerk from Home posted:

You make about minimum wage, assuming that you've got a cheap-to-operate car and are working in an area where you can keep pretty constant fares, which is most major cities. Figure about $6-10/hr after expenses.

That's a pretty lowball estimate, unless it's factoring in depreciation on a brand-new car:

https://therideshareguy.com/rsg-2017-survey-results-driver-earnings-satisfaction-and-demographics/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phanatic posted:

That's a pretty lowball estimate, unless it's factoring in depreciation on a brand-new car:

https://therideshareguy.com/rsg-2017-survey-results-driver-earnings-satisfaction-and-demographics/

Yes, I was factoring in depreciation, insurance, consumables, gas. From that, the overall gross income average was $16/hr, and all of this is also before paying payroll taxes. Compare this to a normal, hourly job where you're not responsible for paying your own payroll taxes.

quote:

We found that Uber drivers reported earning $15.68 per hour, but since drivers are also responsible for gas, maintenance and depreciation, that number is likely less.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Edit: beat

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The trick to making decent money with Uber is not paying taxes, ignoring the depreciation on your car, and driving without commercial insurance.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, I was factoring in depreciation,

The car's going to depreciate anyway, no matter what you do with it, so if you're going to count depreciation as a flat hit against wages then you should also account for the fact that a lot of an Uber driver's expenses are deductible ones. When you started at $16/hour and wound up at $6/hour did you include deductions for depreciation, loan interest, registration fees, gas, maintenance, insurance, parking fees, etc?

(NB: Assuming driving is pretty much a full-time job, if you're just doing it here and there your deductions for that stuff would be pretty minimal and you'd probably be better off just taking the standard mileage deduction.

hypnophant posted:

Edit: beat

No way does gas and maintenance run $5-$9 per hour, no way.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I would think you could deduct the standard 54 cents per mile that you drive, which would bring your taxable income to almost nothing. I am pretty sure you pay payroll taxes on the net profit so those would be small as well.

As a full time uber driver, you wouldn't make much money so your federal tax would essentially be 0% or 10/12% as well.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yeah these stories really run counter to the pervasive idea that women are gold digging parasites out to pilfer our treasures. Women my age are largely more educated than men my age, especially in Texas

Everytime one of my Angry Boi friends starts going on a dumbshit mysogonistic rant I point out to him that my males friends are universally much bigger losers than my female friends, often relying on gf's money to get by or help smooth over dumb life decisions. Anecdotal evidence and all but I think it's important to point out these examples when someone gets too extreme

Though sometimes they just double down and claim that "it's so much easier for girls" or something.

Anyways as we age this is definitely gonna become much more apparent

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Phanatic posted:

The car's going to depreciate anyway, no matter what you do with it, so if you're going to count depreciation as a flat hit against wages then you should also account for the fact that a lot of an Uber driver's expenses are deductible ones. When you started at $16/hour and wound up at $6/hour did you include deductions for depreciation, loan interest, registration fees, gas, maintenance, insurance, parking fees, etc?

(NB: Assuming driving is pretty much a full-time job, if you're just doing it here and there your deductions for that stuff would be pretty minimal and you'd probably be better off just taking the standard mileage deduction.

Uber drivers are almost always better off taking the standard mileage deduction rather than itemizing the actual expenses and can usually deduct the huge majority of their gross revenue including other non vehicle expenses. Also, of course normal cars depreciate no matter what you do with them but of course cars being clapped out with 40,000+ commercial miles on them every year depreciate a lot faster.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Sirotan posted:

A solution so easy, there's even an emoticon for it:

:sever:

She seems fairly well adjusted, and if she is reasonably attractive at all, this is the answer.

If she was a few years older, then she's pushing her luck, but at 27 she still has time to hit the gym hard and go on the prowl for an upgrade.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah these stories really run counter to the pervasive idea that women are gold digging parasites out to pilfer our treasures. Women my age are largely more educated than men my age, especially in Texas

Everytime one of my Angry Boi friends starts going on a dumbshit mysogonistic rant I point out to him that my males friends are universally much bigger losers than my female friends, often relying on gf's money to get by or help smooth over dumb life decisions. Anecdotal evidence and all but I think it's important to point out these examples when someone gets too extreme

Though sometimes they just double down and claim that "it's so much easier for girls" or something.

Anyways as we age this is definitely gonna become much more apparent

The gold-digging parasite idea is based in some truth, but is the minority, especially these days. Most women, especially as they get older and find themselves still single, just want someone who can carry their own weight. This indeed will become even more true as the gamer man-baby stereotype, which is so common among the early-20s demographic currently, moves into the later 20s and early 30s demographic.

The next 5-10 years is going to be really interesting to watch as the slacker boyfriend leech that is so common now becomes the slacker husband leech, and the breadwinning stressed out girlfriend becomes the breadwinning stressed out wife and mother.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Phanatic posted:

TCO is over 50¢/mile for the average sedan so you only need to average 10 miles per hour for this to be true, and I'm sure most Uber drivers are over that if they're making more than minimum wage. Yes it's deductible but you wouldn't even be over the standard deduction until you've driven more than 12,000 24,000 miles

Edit: not even factoring in commercial insurance

Edit: new tax rules

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 3, 2018