Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

The Browns can offer a larger contract than anyone else with a huge guarantee, so if he loves that paper he might.

I think AJ McCarron ends up as the day 1 started somehow. Hopefully at the cost of no draft picks.

Do you think it's possible at all for the Browns to not draft a QB #1 overall? Kirk is 100% not signing in Cleveland if they're doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone going to the Browns has a greater risk of their career flaming out prematurely than on any other team. So even if they're offering you more money in the short team you gotta also think about that 2nd/3rd contract after that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Do you think it's possible at all for the Browns to not draft a QB #1 overall? Kirk is 100% not signing in Cleveland if they're doing that.

as mike glennon found out, free agent signings happen before the draft so you don't know what the team you're signing with is planning on doing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

evilweasel posted:

as mike glennon found out, free agent signings happen before the draft so you don't know what the team you're signing with is planning on doing

The Bears did not appear to be in the market to draft a QB though, and also offered Glennon way more then anyone else did (by reports).

Also Cousins has a far greater stature then Glennon did, that was just a baffling signing by the Bears.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kalli posted:

With the new GM I can’t say. If they sign an established Qb they might trade #1 to a team that wants to get in front of the Giants and then draft one later in the first. Anything is possible but getting Cousins or Smith who still have a lot of time left lessens the need to draft a QB right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

With the new GM I can’t say. If they sign an established Qb they might trade #1 to a team that wants to get in front of the Giants and then draft one later in the first. Anything is possible but getting Cousins or Smith who still have a lot of time left lessens the need to draft a QB right now.

I'd agree with that plan, but after the way your GM just got fired for not drafting a franchise QB, I can't imagine the new one would think to do anything but draft one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Amy Pole Her posted:

So many wives gonna get horned up discovering a super model plays QB in the gayest city in the US

And i love it. Yay for San Fran

Matt Ryan is super model?
(Atlanta actually ranks as the gayest city in the country by a lot of metrics annually)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Nice! posted:

(Atlanta actually ranks as the gayest city in the country by a lot of metrics annually)
Yes but its in the deep south so its not advertised like it is in San Fran.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wow learn something new everyday! Neat!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes but its in the deep south so its not advertised like it is in San Fran.

That's part of why ATL is so gay friendly. The south in general is pretty anti-LBGT so a non-trivial number of LBGT people naturally migrate there from the numerous bigoted shitholes.

Basically Atlanta is the gay mecca of the south.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

so the bright spots on this year's squad were: Myles Garrett, Josh Gordon, Joe Thomas (RIP), Jabrill Peppers, Duke Johnson, and Isaiah Crowell? Joe Schobert was their tackle leader, forced 3 fumbles, had an INT, and 3 sacks. Njoku and Higgins might be okay?

Football Outsiders ranks their line at 22nd in pass protection and 14th in run blocking. The right side of the line is apparently trash at run blocking, with runs in the direction of the Right Tackle ranking 31st in the league with an ALY of 2.24. Outside the right tackle ranks at 32nd in the league at 1.74 ALY. Spencer Drango started 10 games and allowed 10 sacks in relief of Thomas. Shon Coleman, the RT, allowed 8 sacks and gave up 90 yards in penalties.

Just trying to gauge what this team is going to build on. They should have won a few of those games at least, but the coaching just sucks poop from a butt.

They'll probably draft another QB. RIP DeShone Kizer, you were bad but had no chance.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Bigass Moth posted:

I think AJ McCarron ends up as the day 1 started somehow.
Is it possible to end with a worse record than 0-16?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Gatts posted:

Theoretically....could such a team go to the playoffs?

You're not thinking big enough. If every game in the season ended in a tie, then every playoff team would have to be 0-0-16.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

GyroNinja posted:

You're not thinking big enough. If every game in the season ended in a tie, then every playoff team would have to be 0-0-16.

also I think all the tiebreakers wouldn't discriminate so the playoff teams would all be determined by a ton of coin flips

or maybe they'd just call off the playoffs that year

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So any day now?

By coincidence i just finished a book last week about a cia guy trying to bring about the apocalypse, and it was written two years ago by a goon and the climax involved a helicopter crashing into trump tower

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheHoosier posted:

so the bright spots on this year's squad were: Myles Garrett, Josh Gordon, Joe Thomas (RIP), Jabrill Peppers, Duke Johnson, and Isaiah Crowell? Joe Schobert was their tackle leader, forced 3 fumbles, had an INT, and 3 sacks. Njoku and Higgins might be okay?

Football Outsiders ranks their line at 22nd in pass protection and 14th in run blocking. The right side of the line is apparently trash at run blocking, with runs in the direction of the Right Tackle ranking 31st in the league with an ALY of 2.24. Outside the right tackle ranks at 32nd in the league at 1.74 ALY. Spencer Drango started 10 games and allowed 10 sacks in relief of Thomas. Shon Coleman, the RT, allowed 8 sacks and gave up 90 yards in penalties.

Just trying to gauge what this team is going to build on. They should have won a few of those games at least, but the coaching just sucks poop from a butt.

They'll probably draft another QB. RIP DeShone Kizer, you were bad but had no chance.

Did Peppers actually find a position to stick at and contribute? Coming out of college, I had no idea what he actually did on the field.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

a patagonian cavy posted:

also I think all the tiebreakers wouldn't discriminate so the playoff teams would all be determined by a ton of coin flips

or maybe they'd just call off the playoffs that year

I was going to say that the amount of points you scored would matter, but looking it up all the relevant tiebreakers refer to net points scored or combined rankings in points scored/points allowed, so yeah, those would all be worthless. The tiebreaker right before the coinflip is "most net touchdowns scored" though, so I guess the number one seed could be awarded to the team who scored 3 touchdowns to their opponents 7 field goals in a 21-21 tie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder if a drafted QB could demand an offensive line improvement before they sign

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe if the draft preceded free agency.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Peppers actually find a position to stick at and contribute? Coming out of college, I had no idea what he actually did on the field.

He played well at safety. Fumbled 5 times as a punt returner.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Maybe if the draft preceded free agency.

A team could trade for a better o-line after the draft, couldn't they?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sent from my iPad posted:

The San Diego Mexico City London Browns would like to welcome you to their inaugural 2020 season!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically Atlanta is the gay mecca of the south.

Literally every gay redneck from east of New Orleans, north of Orlando, and south of D.C. ends up in Atlanta.

quote:

An estimated 4.2 percent of metro Atlanta’s population identify themselves as gay or lesbian, placing the region in the top half of a list of 50 metropolitan areas, according to a Gallup analysis that the New York Times is calling the most extensive of its kind.
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/20/gallup-percentagewise-metro-atlanta-has-a-larger-lgbt-population-than-new-york/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sent from my iPad posted:

There's never been a team that went 0-16 in the regular season and had a loss in preseason, so clearly the next step is going 0-4 in preseason and 0-16 in the regular season

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How could it get worse in cleveland you ask? Well Hue could bring in the OC who orchestrated the absolute disaster of an offense for the Bengals at the start of the season.

It's like he's just thumbing his loving nose at fans at this point. Just loving hell. gently caress you Hue go in the goddamn lake already you useless poo poo.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/948316678588391424

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There are fans of the Browns? I thought it was just all people that enjoyed watching train wrecks.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Greg Williams had him playing 30 yards off of the LOS for....REASONS so it's hard to tell how good he was.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

GyroNinja posted:

I was going to say that the amount of points you scored would matter, but looking it up all the relevant tiebreakers refer to net points scored or combined rankings in points scored/points allowed, so yeah, those would all be worthless. The tiebreaker right before the coinflip is "most net touchdowns scored" though, so I guess the number one seed could be awarded to the team who scored 3 touchdowns to their opponents 7 field goals in a 21-21 tie.

Would go to the teams who had a series of high-scoring ties as opposed to the ones with 10-10 ties.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hobbesmaster posted:

There are fans of the Browns? I thought it was just all people that enjoyed watching train wrecks.

Abuse is a vicious cycle.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
AMC Is showing Draft Day right now. Would Kevin Costner be a better GM than John Dorsey?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol

I want 3 second round picks!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Al Pacino would be a better coach than Hue and no one can even argue this fact.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We all want Pacino from Any Given Sunday but after 5 games we’ll get Pacino from Scent of a Woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMx-Lv_eZ3s

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if we get Kaepernick playing Pacino in Scent from a Woman instead?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

Al Pacino would be a better coach than Hue and no one can even argue this fact.

No coach at all would be better than Hue. Just have the players do whatever they want on the field. gently caress it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You're gonna get Pacino from heat instead.

You want to draft Keller, why?
BECAUSE HE'S GOT A BIG rear end

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sponges posted:

No coach at all would be better than Hue. Just have the players do whatever they want on the field. gently caress it.

A proper gently caress it would be to give the team to Joe Thomas.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Bill Simmons used to say you need a Madden guy to control the clock and time management. Literally anyone with a basic understanding of football would be better than Hue, with good coordinators I would have gotten the team a win or two, and I would do it for just the swag the coaches get to wear!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s just crazy that they’re keeping Hue. Literally anyone could have coached the 2017 Browns and gotten the exact same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Michael Corleone posted:

Bill Simmons used to say you need a Madden guy to control the clock and time management. Literally anyone with a basic understanding of football would be better than Hue, with good coordinators I would have gotten the team a win or two, and I would do it for just the swag the coaches get to wear!

You also need a Madden like guy that the players will listen too. Hue probably is smart enough not to run a QB sneak with 15 seconds left and no timeouts but it doesn't matter if the players do their own thing.

• Locked thread